PDA

View Full Version : ESSUX needs to be benched

Fire Arians
11-15-2010, 01:28 AM
Seriously, why is this guy the starter? It seems like on almost every negative play we have, he's always the one who missed the block or gets beaten. Legursky has played ok replacing him, but definitely better than Essex. Why isn't Legursky the starter? Because he's the backup center and we're screwed if pouncey goes down (god forbid)?

lionslicer
11-15-2010, 01:30 AM
Seriously, why is this guy the starter? It seems like on almost every negative play we have, he's always the one who missed the block or gets beaten. Legursky has played ok replacing him, but definitely better than Essex. Why isn't Legursky the starter? Because he's the backup center and we're screwed if pouncey goes down (god forbid)?

Because... I don't know really... Maybe Legursky doesn't know the whole playbook? But he did way better than Essex has done... But if I recall he had a lot of holding calls which may be why he isn't starting...

Fire Arians
11-15-2010, 01:32 AM
Because... I don't know really... Maybe Legursky doesn't know the whole playbook? But he did way better than Essex has done... But if I recall he had a lot of holding calls which may be why he isn't starting...

he should know the whole playbook, he's been with us for long enough. holding calls are a killer, but so are negative plays with loss of downs. i thought legursky did way better than trai

lionslicer
11-15-2010, 01:34 AM
he should know the whole playbook, he's been with us for long enough. holding calls are a killer, but so are negative plays with loss of downs. i thought legursky did way better than trai

I really don't know, thats the only stuff could even think of... Offensive line coach should know better... unless Arians has last say over who starts...

Trai has his signs of greatness but then his signs of terribleness... There's no inbetween. Legursky has a middle ground and is a solid player... Maybe they want someone who shines sometimes on the off chance everyone else shines its a big play? That seems to be what this offense is based of off. A bunch of bad plays and a couple big plays, no middle ground.

HOFCitySteelers
11-15-2010, 01:38 AM
Personally, I think they're both awful. Offensive line and Cornerback has been our weakness for some time now. Think if we had the Starting 5 from the mid 90's right now. Unstoppabel!!!! We need to get some new Offensive linemen asap.

lionslicer
11-15-2010, 01:54 AM
Personally, I think they're both awful. Offensive line and Cornerback has been our weakness for some time now. Think if we had the Starting 5 from the mid 90's right now. Unstoppabel!!!! We need to get some new Offensive linemen asap.

If we had the 5 that started in 2004 we'd be unstoppable.. but players want too much money. Pouncey and Kemo have potential to be great. Steelers need a starting left tackle so starks can move back to right tackle, and then really all there is to worry about is right guard, and Legursky has the ability to be a starting left guard if he gets some more work.

Kingmagyar
11-15-2010, 06:57 AM
Won't Help us this year but,

Let's hope Maurkice's brother Mike is there in the draft for us to get as our next starting Right Guard.

Let's hope we don't sign Colon to a long term deal coming off an achilles injury (he will never be the same).

Let's hope we can get a starting O'Tackle somewhere early in the draft as well.

The Steelers may finally see the light with Pouncey as to what kind of player can come out of a high round offensive lineman draft pick.

TRH
11-15-2010, 09:45 AM
hard to bench somebody when we don't have anybody else to play.
We're almost to the point of recruiting available high school O-Linemen who aren't injured :chuckle:

StainlessStill
11-15-2010, 10:05 AM

I say we bench our entire line not named Pouncey and just let Ben run for his life back there. Same thing anyhow. Hell, our most explosive player couldn't even be on the field because of our piss-poor offensive line( Mendenhall.) We got our man in Pouncey, I think it's time to go after lineman, by lineman, by lineman, by lineman, by lineman.

Third Rail
11-15-2010, 10:22 AM
We should have gone after linemen for the past three drafts. I had high hopes last year after we picked Pouncey in the first round, but the selections after that just left me scratching my head.

Still, Pouncey was a good pick.

TRH
11-15-2010, 10:24 AM
We should have gone after linemen for the past three drafts. I had high hopes last year after we picked Pouncey in the first round, but the selections after that just left me scratching my head.

i agree. Thank god we at least got Pouncey. As for not taking other linemen, i knew it would come back to bite us.
Even un-injured, our line is average to below average at best.

Third Rail
11-15-2010, 10:32 AM
Yep. People can criticize Ben for "holding onto the ball too long" all they want, but look at all the time Brady had to throw yesterday? I can only imagine what Ben could do if he had that kind of protection, but instead, he either has to run for his life or fire it off too quickly to our receivers who drop and/or miss way too many passes.

BritishSteel
11-15-2010, 11:20 AM
Yep. People can criticize Ben for "holding onto the ball too long" all they want, but look at all the time Brady had to throw yesterday? I can only imagine what Ben could do if he had that kind of protection, but instead, he either has to run for his life or fire it off too quickly to our receivers who drop and/or miss way too many passes.

Sometimes Ben does himself no favours by extending a play beyond its breaking point, but they knew that was his game drafting him, and when his protection folds like a bad poker hand, he hasn't got much choice but to improvise a play. We are paying he price for some odd drafting decisions and, in my view anyway, not having a good, blocking fullback to offer a bit of blitz protection. I don't think for a second all our woes started when Dan Krieder left, clearly the problems are far bigger than that, but I think we miss not having someone with his skills in the backfield. Given how often we're going to singleback, we miss having anyone in the backfield who can block worth a damn.

BKAnthem
11-15-2010, 02:39 PM

:tt04::applaudit::tt02::tt03::tt::drink::thumbsup:

pete74
11-15-2010, 04:29 PM
hopefully Pouncey dosnt start to play like Essix and the rest of the line. your supposed to learn from the vets but hopefully he just stays in his own little box

HOFCitySteelers
11-15-2010, 08:05 PM
Pouncey is going to be a good center for years to come. Kemeoatu is a beast as long as he is healthy. Other than that, we just need to rebuild the rest of the line, including Legursky. I know he is a message board favorite, but he isn't the answer. I'm just getting fed up with these guys we bring in late round or undrafted with the idea of making them a project player for 3 seasons. Then when they get their shot to play, they're mediocre at best.

fer522
11-15-2010, 09:03 PM
what! you guys did not like the fact that we drafted LB after LB after LB
only to cut one of those LBs
at the end :chuckle: