View Full Version : Farrior: Steelers ‘couldn’t stop anything’

mesaSteeler
11-15-2010, 06:35 AM
Farrior: Steelers ‘couldn’t stop anything’
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_709409.html#
By Kevin Gorman
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, November 15, 2010

It wasn’t quite waving a white flag, but the Steelers conceded that going for an onsides kick midway through the fourth quarter while trailing New England by 11 points Sunday was the smart move.

Especially with the way their defense was playing.

“That’s a coach’s decision, but I wanted them to onsides kick,” Steelers inside linebacker James Farrior said. “We couldn’t stop anything.”

The Steelers had no answer Sunday night for Tom Brady, whose precision passing led the Patriots to a 39-26 victory at Heinz Field. Brady completed 30 of 43 attempts for 350 yards and three touchdowns for a 117.4 passer rating against a defense that ranked No. 2 in the NFL in total yards and first in scoring.

“When you’re talking about Tom Brady, you’re talking about a Super Bowl MVP, you’re talking about a great quarterback,” Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor said. “He showed what he can do. It wasn’t something we were looking for, but it happened. … With a guy like that, you’ve got to be consistent. You’ve got to be clicking on all cylinders every snap. The minute you don’t, he’ll pick you apart.”

Brady led New England on six scoring drives, and the efficiency of the first four had the Steelers scratching their scalps. The Patriots had touchdown drives of 70 yards on eight plays, 78 yards on 10 plays and 80 yards on seven plays, along with a 10-play, 46-yard drive that resulted in a field goal.

The Patriots’ first drives of each half appeared to be following a script.

“Whether they did or didn’t is irrelevant,” Steelers strong safety Troy Polamalu said. “We’ve just got to be able to not give up big plays and give up field goals in the red zone. That was all the difference in the game.”

It’s no surprise that Brady spread the ball to eight different receivers, but what was frustrating to the Steelers was that they allowed so many big plays. He found rookie tight end Rob Gronkowski for touchdowns of 19, 9 and 25 yards, hit slot receiver Wes Welker eight times for 89 yards, including a 26-yarder, and a 45-yarder to Brandon Tate set up Brady’s 3-yard scoring run with 22 seconds left in the third quarter.

“Once he gets hot, starts reading the defense, he’s hard to defend,” Farrior said. “That showed (Sunday) night. He ate us alive.”

Despite their ranking as one of the NFL’s premier defenses, the Steelers have been susceptible against the pass. They came into the game allowing 240 yards a game, but gave up a season-high 453 to the Patriots. That led to questions of whether the Steelers could avoid a late-season collapse like last year, when they lost five of their final eight.

“We’ll see how this team reacts,” Polamalu said. “It differs from year to year, but this was a good gauge to see where we’re at. We’re not near where we need to be with the elite teams in the NFL, as New England has proven that. But we’re barely halfway through the season. We still have a lot to go.”

That they were missing starting defensive ends Aaron Smith (triceps) and Brett Keisel (hamstring) and lost inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons to a hip pointer was no excuse. The Steelers saw that their flaws were exposed but believe that had more to do with going against one of the game’s greatest quarterbacks than having a defense on the decline.

“I think we’ve still got a championship-caliber team,” Farrior said. “We’ve just got to put it all together. We can’t let one game discourage us and get us out of our rhythm. We’ve got to go back to the lab and get to work.”

Kevin Gorman can be reached at kgorman@tribweb.com or 412-320-7812.

Third Rail
11-15-2010, 10:40 AM
“When you’re talking about Tom Brady, you’re talking about a Super Bowl MVP, you’re talking about a great quarterback,” Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor said. “He showed what he can do. It wasn’t something we were looking for, but it happened. … With a guy like that, you’ve got to be consistent. You’ve got to be clicking on all cylinders every snap. The minute you don’t, he’ll pick you apart.”

This floors me. It wasn't something they were looking for? Why the hell not? This is Tom Brady we're talking about here! The guy threw 50 TDs in one season! I might hate him as much as the rest of you do, but regardless... you have to PLAN for a QB like that. I'm not saying that they didn't, but it clearly wasn't enough. And when you hear a statement like this, it just makes you wonder what the hell is wrong with these defensive backs. Gee, it's Tom Brady... you think he might throw the ball? You think he's going to try and make a big play? You think he's going to target your weak spots (William Gay)? Nah! Not him! I'm sure he'll just hand the ball off every time!

SteelCityMom
11-15-2010, 10:43 AM
I honestly can't remember the last time the defense got abused like that. '06 maybe? I hope it get's Lebeau and the D out of whatever funk they were in last night.

Offense didn't look great either, but had that been any other team, this would have been a win to be honest.

lionslicer
11-15-2010, 10:46 AM
I honestly can't remember the last time the defense got abused like that. '06 maybe? I hope it get's Lebeau and the D out of whatever funk they were in last night.

Offense didn't look great either, but had that been any other team, this would have been a win to be honest.

The problem is that teams will look at this and know how to beat the Steelers. They already know from the Bengals and Saints game that the offensive line can't block squat, and this will seal the deal how to handle the Defense.

The offense didn't look terrible, there were a lot of drops that shouldn't have happened and some stupid play calls, but it could have been way worse, but this was against a defense thats in the bottom 5 of the league, this worries me.

MACH1
11-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Yup....This O didn't exactly light up the 29th ranked D.

SteelCityMom
11-15-2010, 10:57 AM
The problem is that teams will look at this and know how to beat the Steelers. They already know from the Bengals and Saints game that the offensive line can't block squat, and this will seal the deal how to handle the Defense.

The offense didn't look terrible, there were a lot of drops that shouldn't have happened and some stupid play calls, but it could have been way worse, but this was against a defense thats in the bottom 5 of the league, this worries me.

Yeah, a couple of caught passes (particularly in the EZ) and this would have been a much more interesting game.

Teams can look at it all they want, but typically it takes a QB like Brady or Manning to beat the Steelers D like it did last night. So I'm not in panic mode about them yet either. I expect them to work hard this week and fix what needs fixed. I expect insanity out of Arians....not out of Lebeau. Maybe I'll be wrong, but we'll see this week I guess.

I know it sucks losing like that to the Pats, but everything is very fixable. I'm not putting a fork in the season yet at all.

tony hipchest
11-15-2010, 11:02 AM

this blueprint was laid out in 2002 when tha patriots and raiders opened the season with almost 100 passes against the steelers and we fell 0-2.

this blueprint has always been there, right along with chewing up our zone blitz in the middle with a TE (especially in the red-zone).

it is the reason steelers TRADED UP to draft a safety in the 1st round of 2003.

again, this is nothing new, its just that so few teams acutally have the players to execute it.

tony hipchest
11-15-2010, 11:04 AM
Yup....This O didn't exactly light up the 29th ranked D.hater.

thats dick le bu..bu..bu.. beau's fault.

lionslicer
11-15-2010, 11:08 AM
this blueprint was laid out in 2002 when tha patriots and raiders opened the season with almost 100 passes against the steelers and we fell 0-2.

this blueprint has always been there, right along with chewing up our zone blitz in the middle with a TE (especially in the red-zone).

again, this is nothing new, its just that so few teams acutally have the players to execute it.

Its more coaches have the balls to do it.
Not many coaches will blitz 6-7 guys and leave the pass open against Ben, who if he breaks a tackle will have a huge positive gain.
The defense is different, there's no real blueprint to beat the defense other than some outside passes and the middle of the field, but that's every defense. But the defense just plain and simple is playing bad, and an offense can pick that apart easily.

Atlanta Dan
11-15-2010, 11:25 AM

Yep - and Charlie Weis & Belichick got the idea from Jon Kitna and the Bengals throwing on virtually every down to overcome a big deficit and upset the 2001 Steelers.

That 2002 defense was horrible the entire season with DeWayne Washington and Chad Scott at the corners - the answer was to fire D coordinator Tim Lewis after the 2003 season and dump the entire defensive backfield (Dewayne Washington/Lee Flowers/Brent Alexander/Mike Logan) other than Chad Scott, who then lost his position as a starter after being injured in 2004.

Brady & Belichick are LeBeau's kryptonite -

lionslicer
11-15-2010, 11:31 AM
Yep - and Charlie Weis & Belichick got the idea from Jon Kitna and the Bengals throwing on virtually every down to overcome a big deficit and upset the 2001 Steelers.

That 2002 defense was horrible the entire season with DeWayne Washington and Chad Scott at the corners - the answer was to fire D coordinator Tim Lewis after the 2003 season and dump the entire defensive backfield (Dewayne Washington/Lee Flowers/Brent Alexander/Mike Logan) other than Chad Scott, who then lost his position as a starter after being injured in 2004.

Brady & Belichick are LeBeau's kryptonite -

I don't see anyone else doing this because no one has the balls of Belichick. No one also has the balls to blitz 6-7 guys against Ben like the Saints did and like the Eagles did in 2008. Well I didn't, but it seems more and more coaches are trying it. Bengals started doing in the 2nd half against the Steelers, Patriots did it early on. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Raiders do it with their speed rushers. But they don't have the confidence to pass every down.

mikegrimey
11-15-2010, 11:36 AM

When we played the Patriots in 2007 and got thrashed. At least that was an away game though:doh:

mikegrimey
11-15-2010, 11:39 AM
I don't see anyone else doing this because no one has the balls of Belichick. No one also has the balls to blitz 6-7 guys against Ben like the Saints did and like the Eagles did in 2008. Well I didn't, but it seems more and more coaches are trying it. Bengals started doing in the 2nd half against the Steelers, Patriots did it early on. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Raiders do it with their speed rushers. But they don't have the confidence to pass every down.

Well it helps that Belichik has a great QB on his roster to make that strategy work. Remember in 08 and we played in NE with Matt Cassell at the helm, our defense downright dominated the second half of that game.
NO and NE have good enough QBs to play that way (and smart enough coaches to make the game plan) I'm not sure every team is going to do it, but I guess we'll see. I don't expect the RAiders too because so much of their identity is based in the ground game, and Campbell is prone to holding onto the ball too long and taking sacks.

Brees and Brady are good enough to quickly find the open spot and get the ball through a thread, not every QB can do it.

tony hipchest
11-15-2010, 11:42 AM
the steelers DID stop their other rookie TE hernandez. their yardage leader was held w/o a reception.

anyone get the feeling the steelers game planned against him and then got bit by gronkowski?

its like "whack a mole".

anyone think belichick figured this and gameplanned to have gronkowski rebound after his horrible showing vs the browns?

MACH1
11-15-2010, 11:45 AM
I just think our secondary sucks ass. Gameplan or not they were getting burned on a regular basis.

tony hipchest
11-15-2010, 11:46 AM
I don't see anyone else doing this because no one has the balls of Belichick. No one also has the balls to blitz 6-7 guys against Ben like the Saints did and like the Eagles did in 2008.false.

eagles, patriots, cowboys, giants, ravens, browns, cinci, etc.

all sorts of teams send the house and kitchen sink vs the steelers. pretty much been the story ever since we got rid of a true fullback.

but like in the case of defeating the zone blitz, all teams dont have the people or talent to pull off the scheme successfully.

SteelCityMom
11-15-2010, 11:52 AM
When we played the Patriots in 2007 and got thrashed. At least that was an away game though:doh:

Yeah, that's true. I honestly couldn't remember if it was as bad or not. I guess it was. It's definitely not often though that any QB puts up those kinds of points against this D though.

Lord of Lombardi
11-15-2010, 11:54 AM
We have an above average Defense because of our ability to stop the run. If more teams took the Patriots approach and threw 80% of the time we'd be an 8-8 team. The thing that separates the Patriots is their offensive line. I hate Brady as much or more than anyone else. He is a winey little Be atch... He complains to the refs and tries to get their favortism during the game. He rants along the sidelines like a little school girl that doesn't get his way. Now think of that O line in front of Ben who by the way is back to his holding the ball way too long. He is back to not being able to read defenses. NOTE TO COACHING STAFF: Put short routes in play book for when Ben doesn't have more than 2 seconds of protection. NOTE TO WR's: Break off route when blitz is going to get your QB creamed. 2-2 at home is pathetic and this team won't win without WR's other than Randel El. Pouncy is a great and imagine how great our Line would be with another drafted player worth a damn. Not sure why we invest millions in a QB then do not invest in a line that can protect him. Brady is Brady and Manning is Manning because of time to throw. New England has our number because we didn't keep Brady on the sidelines. 10-6 and we miss the playoffs.

mikegrimey
11-15-2010, 12:00 PM
We have an above average Defense because of our ability to stop the run. If more teams took the Patriots approach and threw 80% of the time we'd be an 8-8 team. The thing that separates the Patriots is their offensive line. I hate Brady as much or more than anyone else. He is a winey little Be atch... He complains to the refs and tries to get their favortism during the game. He rants along the sidelines like a little school girl that doesn't get his way. Now think of that O line in front of Ben who by the way is back to his holding the ball way too long. He is back to not being able to read defenses. NOTE TO COACHING STAFF: Put short routes in play book for when Ben doesn't have more than 2 seconds of protection. NOTE TO WR's: Break off route when blitz is going to get your QB creamed. 2-2 at home is pathetic and this team won't win without WR's other than Randel El. Pouncy is a great and imagine how great our Line would be with another drafted player worth a damn. Not sure why we invest millions in a QB then do not invest in a line that can protect him. Brady is Brady and Manning is Manning because of time to throw. New England has our number because we didn't keep Brady on the sidelines. 10-6 and we miss the playoffs.

Your criticism of Brady is way off. I can think of one instance where he begged and whined for a flag and got a call via favoritism. That was vs. the Ravens last year in their regular season matchup.

As for whining on the sidelines, you can't respect a team leader that gets fired up and fires up the players around him?

I wish we would have had somebody on the Steelers sideline doing that last night. Anybody trying to get a spark going or something.
Brady was lighting guys up because they didn't convert a 3rd down, and look at how they performed in general, a lot better than us.

As for your other conjecture, that Manning and Brady are only elite QBs because of their offensive lines. That's a statement that can't be proven with rationality, so we can leave it on the floor with the rest of the speculation where it belongs. Didn't you notice Brady releasing the ball pretty quickly last night? A lot of us have said it before but Ben is not as good as other QBs at quickly finding the open zone and getting passes out on time, his great talent is in making time to help create a play. Manning and Brady are much better at the former.

ZoneBlitzer
11-15-2010, 12:21 PM
I'm confused. The media and Tomlin told me that there was nothing wrong with the pass defense.

Lord of Lombardi
11-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Your criticism of Brady is way off. I can think of one instance where he begged and whined for a flag and got a call via favoritism. That was vs. the Ravens last year in their regular season matchup.

As for whining on the sidelines, you can't respect a team leader that gets fired up and fires up the players around him?

I wish we would have had somebody on the Steelers sideline doing that last night. Anybody trying to get a spark going or something.
Brady was lighting guys up because they didn't convert a 3rd down, and look at how they performed in general, a lot better than us.

As for your other conjecture, that Manning and Brady are only elite QBs because of their offensive lines. That's a statement that can't be proven with rationality, so we can leave it on the floor with the rest of the speculation where it belongs. Didn't you notice Brady releasing the ball pretty quickly last night? A lot of us have said it before but Ben is not as good as other QBs at quickly finding the open zone and getting passes out on time, his great talent is in making time to help create a play. Manning and Brady are much better at the former.

I can respect a leader, just not one who carriers on like he does. He is exactly like Ovechkin "off skates" I never said Manning and Brady were elite "only" because of their O lines. Reread my "CONJECTURE" And rewatch the game from last night and you'll see Harrison went into the pile, Timmons went into the pile to drive it back and Brady was right there pointing at the head lines man for a flag. Give me a friking break. Let the guys call the game. He does this game in and game out. I never see Manning asking for flags. Brady is a primadonna. Rewatch the tape and watch Brandy be atch (that means Bitch) and then conjecture your thoughts once they are educated.

lionslicer
11-15-2010, 01:15 PM
false.

eagles, patriots, cowboys, giants, ravens, browns, cinci, etc.

all sorts of teams send the house and kitchen sink vs the steelers. pretty much been the story ever since we got rid of a true fullback.

but like in the case of defeating the zone blitz, all teams dont have the people or talent to pull off the scheme successfully.

Browns are terrible at it, and only did it 3 times the last steelers game.
Cinicy does it when they are down, they play conservative most of the game.
Cowboys just suck and can't do anything right.
Giants did it well, Eagles have always done it well, Patriots doit in a fashion that confuses Ben.

Teams that do it the most are the ones that beat the Steelers. Cinicy could have beat the Steelers if they did it earlier in the game. Ravens constantly destroy Steeler offenses, and they actually get more sacks when they only rush 3 than when they rush 6. Teams will do it more often. Its not that they do it, every team has atleast 1 or 2 all out blitzes a game, but to do it constantly takes a lot of skill and balls and I have yet to see many teams do it this year except the last 3 games.

fer522
11-15-2010, 02:17 PM
we sucked they kicked our ass
we were outcoached
we were outplayed
and i dont think the team wanted to be there
they knew they could not win
did not prepared for the game and it showed
nothing we can do about it anymore
get ready because WE ARE GONNA UNLEASH HELL:mad:
vs the raiders

mikegrimey
11-15-2010, 02:30 PM
I can respect a leader, just not one who carriers on like he does. He is exactly like Ovechkin "off skates" I never said Manning and Brady were elite "only" because of their O lines. Reread my "CONJECTURE" And rewatch the game from last night and you'll see Harrison went into the pile, Timmons went into the pile to drive it back and Brady was right there pointing at the head lines man for a flag. Give me a friking break. Let the guys call the game. He does this game in and game out. I never see Manning asking for flags. Brady is a primadonna. Rewatch the tape and watch Brandy be atch (that means Bitch) and then conjecture your thoughts once they are educated.

First, the accusation that my ideas are "uneducated" in contrast to yours isn't even laughable, it's just crude and hard to believe.

Next, you said "what seperates Brady is the offensive line". Leading me to believe the only difference you see between Ben and Brady is the 5 guys up front.

Now, can you give me a link to the moment in the game you are talking about with Brady> I am interested in watching it.

I also noticed in your post you had ample emotional reactions to Brady saying things like "I hate him as much as anyone or anything". Pretty strong feelings for a guy who is just doing his job, and doing it at a high level.

stb_steeler
11-15-2010, 02:54 PM
we sucked they kicked our ass
we were outcoached
we were outplayed
and i dont think the team wanted to be there
they knew they could not win
did not prepared for the game and it showed
nothing we can do about it anymore
get ready because WE ARE GONNA UNLEASH HELL:mad:
vs the raiders

WE ARE GONNA UNLEASH HELL.......Heard that many times before...:doh:

Lord of Lombardi
11-15-2010, 03:12 PM
First, the accusation that my ideas are "uneducated" in contrast to yours isn't even laughable, it's just crude and hard to believe.

Next, you said "what seperates Brady is the offensive line". Leading me to believe the only difference you see between Ben and Brady is the 5 guys up front.

Now, can you give me a link to the moment in the game you are talking about with Brady> I am interested in watching it.

I also noticed in your post you had ample emotional reactions to Brady saying things like "I hate him as much as anyone or anything". Pretty strong feelings for a guy who is just doing his job, and doing it at a high level.

"Crude and hard to believe" because I called you uneducated ? Are you really a football fan? Get over the crudeness or move on. Don't put words in my mouth, or make assumptions. Read them as they appear. "What separates" does not imply "the only difference." There is more than one instance as I mentioned so "the moment" in the game could constitute a multiple of choices. As far as providing you with a link to the exact location in the game, yeah that will happen. Ask others on this board and I'm sure you'll hear it opposite as you think. Maybe you can read my emotions a little further when I tell you to wake up and post on a site where you make sense. You are seriously being critical of my words of hatred for Brady as pretty strong? Not as strong as the tea and crumpets that you're trying to force feed us football fans. Wake up private Pyle and look around you. And you mention laughable, crude and hard to believe?? We'll allow others to read your concern and shake their heads in disbelief of your babble. This will be my last reply to you as I'm in disbelief of your poor football knowledge. Put that in your conjuncture pipe and smoke it.

mikegrimey
11-15-2010, 03:24 PM
"Crude and hard to believe" because I called you uneducated ? Are you really a football fan? Get over the crudeness or move on. Don't put words in my mouth, or make assumptions. Read them as they appear. "What separates" does not imply "the only difference." There is more than one instance as I mentioned so "the moment" in the game could constitute a multiple of choices. As far as providing you with a link to the exact location in the game, yeah that will happen. Ask others on this board and I'm sure you'll hear it opposite as you think. Maybe you can read my emotions a little further when I tell you to wake up and post on a site where you make sense. You are seriously being critical of my words of hatred for Brady as pretty strong? Not as strong as the tea and crumpets that you're trying to force feed us football fans. Wake up private Pyle and look around you. And you mention laughable, crude and hard to believe?? We'll allow others to read your concern and shake their heads in disbelief of your babble. This will be my last reply to you as I'm in disbelief of your poor football knowledge. Put that in your conjuncture pipe and smoke it.

Well that was nothing but an ad hominem rant. That's the equivalent of waiving the white flag for your argument.

All I did as was ask you for a little proof of the one concrete claim you made (the rest were subjective, emotional, and speculative) and you say "yea that'll happen". The rest of what you said seems a defensive insecure rant.

Sorry dude, I thought you had an interest in a real discussion, this is the internet, there's no way to tell who's arguments are going to be laughable and fatuous and who is actually going to make sense, I promise not to bother you anymore. Take care.

TRH
11-15-2010, 03:43 PM
[QUOTE=Lord of Lombardi;866952]I can respect a leader, just not one who carriers on like he does. their And rewatch the game from last night and you'll see Harrison went into the pile, Timmons went into the pile to drive it back and Brady was right there pointing at the head lines man for a flag. Give me a friking break. Let the guys call the game. He does this game in and game out. QUOTE]

He does. And he comes off as a big baby.
Yinz all remember this one??
A couple years ago when the Pats played the Ravens and after a pass play someone barely grazed Brady with a hand...and he started jumping up and down like a 12-year-old-girl, pointing etc.
After the game, Ray Lewis gives his post-game interview and calls Brady out big time, telling him this is a man's game, to take off the dress, etc.
If you haven't seen it, try looking around for that interview online. That might have been the best interview/statement i've ever seen. Priceless.

pete74
11-15-2010, 04:08 PM

last season against green bay. i only remember because Aaron Rodgers won me a game in fantasy football that week

SteelCityMom
11-15-2010, 04:14 PM
last season against green bay. i only remember because Aaron Rodgers won me a game in fantasy football that week

Yeah...I had forgotten about that one till I looked at all the previous schedules late last night. Most likely forgot about it because we won...but it's still very rare that an offense scores that many points.

I was tired and ticked last night...forget my whole post lol.

steelerjim58
11-15-2010, 05:02 PM
When you have a defensive scheme that is designed to allow the opposing teams offense to do what it wants to to, that is a recipe for desaster. The patriots bread and butter has always been the dink and dunk with brady. Sure I know that changed a little with Moss, but not much. I know Lebeau's system has worked, but not very well against the patriots. And I wonder if it's a lack of confidence in the db's that causes him to virtually never bring more than 4 or 5 to rush the qb.

Slanted August
11-15-2010, 08:02 PM

Excellent Post. Remember it all too well. Just like people in this game wanted them to blitz more. Remember the Anthony Smith game? We got burned and used the blitz heavily.