PDA

View Full Version : Criticism getting to Reed?

mesaSteeler
11-15-2010, 07:36 AM
View From The Press Box
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/11/15/criticism-getting-to-reed/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29

Criticism getting to Reed?
November 15th, 2010

Jeff Reed is in the midst of his most trying season of his career, and he showed the strain of it after the Steelers’ 39-26 loss Sunday night to the Patriots.

Reed took exception to both the fan and media criticism he had endured this season, both of which figure to intensify after he missed a 26-yard field goal against the Patriots.

Reed has made just 71.4 percent of his field goal attempts, well below the 83.3 career conversion rate he took into the season.

“It doesn’t help that everything you read or hear on the radio is negative too and that comes from you guys too,” Reed said to reporters after the Steelers fell to 6-3. “People calling in they have the right to say what they want to say and I don’t listen to it. I just come across it sometimes and happen to catch my name so I want to read about it.

“Instead of it being a 53-yarder last week that I made it was the 46-yarder that I missed that could have clinched in the game. That’s negativity and if you lose, they focus on all the negatives.”

Reed made a 22-yard field goal Sunday night, and he said on both field goal attempts he slipped because of the condition of the field.

“I can’t help it when turf moves and you miss a kick,” said Reed, adding that he wears cleats with the longest spikes allowed by the NFL. “I just wish if you play sports or are a sports fan you understand things like that. I’ve been here a long time. I think I know what I’m doing.”

How long he will be doing it in Pittsburgh remains to be seen.

Reed signed a one-year, $2.81 contract with the Steelers in July and he will be a free agent after the season.

The team had placed the franchise tag on the ninth-year last February, but Reed said at the beginning of training camp that the Steelers never followed through on a promise to negotiate with him on a long-term deal.

He did not endear himself to fans by going public with his unhappiness over his contract situation. His struggles this season have only made him more of a target for criticism.

Reed said he has heard it from fans while attending Penguins games and at Heinz Field.

“It’s like they buy tickets just to bash me, (punter) Dan (Sepulvda) and (long snapper) Greg (Warren),” Reed said. “It’s more me because points come off my foot. It’s other players too, it’s not just me. I talk about myself because I don’t want to comment on other people’s business. It’s the five percent you hear and the ones that truly have your back, that’s 95 percent (of fans) in my mind.

“Everyone goes back if I miss one to what I said at camp and I think that’s absurd because I love this team, I love this town.”

Reed said he wants to stay in Pittsburgh beyond this season and that he believes coach Mike Tomlin has not lost confidence in him.

“He sends me out there all the time because he knows I’m going to make it and so do I,” Reed said. “I don’t take anything for granted that’s why on a field like that a 2-yard field goal you can miss.”
Filed under: Steelers Comment (0)

TRH
11-15-2010, 08:37 AM
There's no reason to miss 26 yarders in big games. Criticism getting to you is absolutely no excuse.

When you're team has to start worrying if you're even going to get extra-points through, thats a problem.

*edit* Also, jeezus.....how about those 2 EXTREMELY poor "on-side" kick attempts. Those had to be the lamest attempts i've ever seen. Not even much bounce to the ball. Don't they practice these things?
As i watched them, they were so bad, i said to myself "god, we don't have a chance to recover these...."

BritishSteel
11-15-2010, 09:47 AM
“It’s like they buy tickets just to bash me, (punter) Dan (Sepulvda) and (long snapper) Greg (Warren),” Reed said.

Since when has anyone given Greg Warren any smack?

If Jeff Reed wants to be loved, perhaps he ought to grow a pair and not miss 26 yard field goals. That's not being affected by criticism, that's flat-out suckage. He used to be money and now he's not. Who's fault is that? The Fans? If he genuinely thinks that he's got no place on a football field.

TRH
11-15-2010, 09:49 AM
Reed has some serious balls to say something like that when he's whiffing field goals like no tomorrow, whiffing on kick-offs, can't perform an on-side kick properly, and 'attempts' to tackle like a little schoolgirl.

But then again, he always has big ones when it comes to civilians, bathroom paper towl holders and the press. The place he has no balls at is on the field.

StainlessStill
11-15-2010, 10:00 AM
View From The Press Box
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/11/15/criticism-getting-to-reed/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29

Criticism getting to Reed?
November 15th, 2010

Jeff Reed is in the midst of his most trying season of his career, and he showed the strain of it after the Steelers’ 39-26 loss Sunday night to the Patriots.

Reed took exception to both the fan and media criticism he had endured this season, both of which figure to intensify after he missed a 26-yard field goal against the Patriots.

Reed has made just 71.4 percent of his field goal attempts, well below the 83.3 career conversion rate he took into the season.

“It doesn’t help that everything you read or hear on the radio is negative too and that comes from you guys too,” Reed said to reporters after the Steelers fell to 6-3. “People calling in they have the right to say what they want to say and I don’t listen to it. I just come across it sometimes and happen to catch my name so I want to read about it.

“Instead of it being a 53-yarder last week that I made it was the 46-yarder that I missed that could have clinched in the game. That’s negativity and if you lose, they focus on all the negatives.”

Reed made a 22-yard field goal Sunday night, and he said on both field goal attempts he slipped because of the condition of the field.

“I can’t help it when turf moves and you miss a kick,” said Reed, adding that he wears cleats with the longest spikes allowed by the NFL. “I just wish if you play sports or are a sports fan you understand things like that. I’ve been here a long time. I think I know what I’m doing.”

How long he will be doing it in Pittsburgh remains to be seen.

Reed signed a one-year, $2.81 contract with the Steelers in July and he will be a free agent after the season.

The team had placed the franchise tag on the ninth-year last February, but Reed said at the beginning of training camp that the Steelers never followed through on a promise to negotiate with him on a long-term deal.

He did not endear himself to fans by going public with his unhappiness over his contract situation. His struggles this season have only made him more of a target for criticism.

Reed said he has heard it from fans while attending Penguins games and at Heinz Field.

“It’s like they buy tickets just to bash me, (punter) Dan (Sepulvda) and (long snapper) Greg (Warren),” Reed said. “It’s more me because points come off my foot. It’s other players too, it’s not just me. I talk about myself because I don’t want to comment on other people’s business. It’s the five percent you hear and the ones that truly have your back, that’s 95 percent (of fans) in my mind.

“Everyone goes back if I miss one to what I said at camp and I think that’s absurd because I love this team, I love this town.”

Reed said he wants to stay in Pittsburgh beyond this season and that he believes coach Mike Tomlin has not lost confidence in him.

“He sends me out there all the time because he knows I’m going to make it and so do I,” Reed said. “I don’t take anything for granted that’s why on a field like that a 2-yard field goal you can miss.”
Filed under: Steelers Comment (0)

Wah wah wah, wah wah! Man up and take the criticism like a man, you goon! There's no excuse for missing a 26 yard field goal my little new born cousin could of kicked! Maybe if we paint the ball like a paper towel dispenser or a bottle of Miller Lite, then maybe he'll kick the ball like he gives a shit. Reed has KILLED us in all of our seasons loss's. I've been a Reed supporter, but if he keeps this up, I say cut ties with him before he embarrasses himself even more on the field, and in the press's!

steelerdave1969
11-15-2010, 10:11 AM
He's got a terrible way of lying thats for sure. He said he doesnt read the stuff or listen to it, but obviously the Jack A$$ does . . .Its time they release him and bring back Gary Anderson he should still be around at the ripe age of 60 I would think

Third Rail
11-15-2010, 10:15 AM
I'm done with Reed. What is he to this team now? When he was making every field goal, I could excuse his weak kickoffs and pathetic attempts at tackles. But missing a 26-yarder? There's no excuse for that. You'd be hard pressed to find a kicker in this league that would miss that, and if you did, you can be damned sure he wouldn't hold a press conference afterward and try to make excuses.

Reed, thanks for your service... now retire before you contribute to more losses.

lionslicer
11-15-2010, 11:29 AM
There's no reason to miss 26 yarders in big games. Criticism getting to you is absolutely no excuse.

When you're team has to start worrying if you're even going to get extra-points through, thats a problem.

*edit* Also, jeezus.....how about those 2 EXTREMELY poor "on-side" kick attempts. Those had to be the lamest attempts i've ever seen. Not even much bounce to the ball. Don't they practice these things?
As i watched them, they were so bad, i said to myself "god, we don't have a chance to recover these...."

Maybe if people didn't boo him when he got on the field he wouldn't be such a terrible kicker

Third Rail
11-15-2010, 11:33 AM
That's a good point... but I think that at least some of those boos might come from the fact that they've just watched the offense choke in the red zone AGAIN. I don't think they're all booing Reed.

MACH1
11-15-2010, 11:33 AM
Maybe if people didn't boo him when he got on the field he wouldn't be such a terrible kicker

Maybe if he would do his job as a PRO kicker and hit the chip shots at the very least.

lionslicer
11-15-2010, 11:40 AM
Maybe if he would do his job as a PRO kicker and hit the chip shots at the very least.

Obviously, but you're stuck with him for another 7 games, you keep booing him he'll just get worst. This is why Reed will ruin the season and why the Kicker that went wide right in the superbowl never missed a game winning kick after that game. People gave him support, no one supports Reed, even players are assholes to him, he'll get worse and worse. If he makes over 50% of his kickers for the rest of the season I'll be surprised.

MACH1
11-15-2010, 11:47 AM
Obviously, but you're stuck with him for another 7 games, you keep booing him he'll just get worst. This is why Reed will ruin the season and why the Kicker that went wide right in the superbowl never missed a game winning kick after that game. People gave him support, no one supports Reed, even players are assholes to him, he'll get worse and worse. If he makes over 50% of his kickers for the rest of the season I'll be surprised.

I doubt he can hear me from my couch. :chuckle:

He's a pro player, criticism is part of the job. If he can't handle it then he should be in another line of work.

lionslicer
11-15-2010, 11:50 AM
I doubt he can hear me from my couch. :chuckle:

He's a pro player, criticism is part of the job. If he can't handle it then he should be in another line of work.

Well not just you, any fans... But I'm serious part of the job or not, no kicker has ever been successfull when their own team turns on them. I can name a lot that this has happened to because of 1 bad kick, then it just turns into more and more bad kicks and soon they leave the league and kill themselves because their team mates, people they thought cared about them turned on them as quick as the fans did.

SteelCityMom
11-15-2010, 11:54 AM

Ehh...he shouldn't take it so personally. Nobody was safe from the boo-birds last night.

I was annoyed at the boos at first, but generally speaking...it's sometimes the thing that will light a fire under your teams ass. We'll see if it did on Sunday against the Raiders.

Fire Arians
11-15-2010, 11:59 AM
proof he isn't fit for the job. bye jeff. a kicker's main job is to handle pressure and he's proving week in and out that he's not doing just that. how about doing what you're paid to do and people will get off your back instead of bitching about it?

lionslicer
11-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Ehh...he shouldn't take it so personally. Nobody was safe from the boo-birds last night.

I was annoyed at the boos at first, but generally speaking...it's sometimes the thing that will light a fire under your teams ass. We'll see if it did on Sunday against the Raiders.

Booing might light a fire under a football players ass, but kickers aren't football players. They don't get hyped up before games, they don't get motivated by anything, they are fragile people, and any coach or player would tell you kickers are a different breed from the rest of them. What affects a player one way will affect a kicker a complete opposite way.

MACH1
11-15-2010, 12:07 PM
Booing might light a fire under a football players ass, but kickers aren't football players. They don't get hyped up before games, they don't get motivated by anything, they are fragile people, and any coach or player would tell you kickers are a different breed from the rest of them. What affects a player one way will affect a kicker a complete opposite way.

He should man up and do his job and stop whining about it. Do his job and everything will get better.

lionslicer
11-15-2010, 12:10 PM
He should man up and do his job and stop whining about it. Do his job and everything will get better.

If every kicker did that then this wouldn't be a discussion... 90% of kickers are kids who in highschool probably would have been on suicide watch if they didn't happen to play soccer or kicked on the football team. Man up isn't something they can do. Some people genetically aren't able to just man-up and deal with life.

Point i'm making is that if someone made like a support page for Reed or if they saw him walking down the street said something nice to the guy he'd be a better kicker... The guy who missed the field goal in the superbowl, scott norewood or whatever had fans cheering for him when the team went back to buffalo.

Immagine going into a game, and not only are fans calling you names from the stands and then before you go out for a kick you get shitty looks from people like Ben that pretty says "you better not miss this you shitty asshole" other than a look that might say "you go do what you do" It's very stressful job in general and then everyone else is making it worse for him.
Kickers who get support will always do better than the ones who get destroyed by fans and friends... Unless a linebacker starts kicking field goals, you can't just yell at a kicker and expect him to be motivated to be better.

MACH1
11-15-2010, 12:38 PM
So your saying jeff needs to be put on suicide watch because his little feelers got hurt. If he can't handle taking the blame for his screw ups he needs to get out. And if he can't get motivated by the coach's telling him do his job he needs to get the hell out.

Atlanta Dan
11-15-2010, 12:44 PM

After last night my bet is any kicks Reed will be attempting in the playoffs will not be in Heinz Field, so he can clear his mind of worries about negative fans or bad turf after he attempts his last kicks at Heinz as a Steeler on December 23.

SteelCityMom
11-15-2010, 12:48 PM
So Reed should be babied because he is a kicker and more weak minded? Sorry, that doesn't cut it. He gets paid millions of dollars to kick a damn ball. Suck it up fcuker.

If I got paid millions of dollars to do a specific job, and sucked at it...I'd EXPECT the criticism, not whine about it.

tony hipchest
11-15-2010, 12:53 PM
After last night my bet is any kicks Reed will be attempting in the playoffs will not be in Heinz Field, so he can clear his mind of worries about negative fans or bad turf after he attempts his last kicks at Heinz as a Steeler on December 23.lol ZING!

i love the "skippy just needs a hug" pseudo-sports psycho babble being thrown out there.

far more outlandish than the steelers playing on a cow pasture which looks suprisingly good for this late in the season.

MattsMe
11-15-2010, 01:12 PM
90% of kickers are kids who in highschool probably would have been on suicide watch if they didn't happen to play soccer or kicked on the football team.

I'm dying to know where you get your info from. Is it the same source that lists the countless 8-8 teams that made it to the super bowl?

I mean really, 90% of kickers were nearly suicidal in high school? I never thought it would be a fraction over 85%.

The things you learn on a message board. :noidea:

Third Rail
11-15-2010, 01:17 PM
Hey, kickers have it rough.

Adam Sandler wrote a song about it. And the Steelers were in the video.

LVSteelersfan
11-15-2010, 01:41 PM
Reed certainly wasn't the reason we lost last night but he certainly contributed to it. Those onside kicks finally did me in. I can't support him any more. And to come out and say we don't know what he has to put up with because of poor field conditions, long snappers, holders is absurd. That 26 yarder was snapped and held perfectly. $28 mill a year and that is the best this joker can come up with. Any player who cannpt handle criticism when he deserves it can take a freakin hike.

lionslicer
11-15-2010, 02:10 PM
I'm dying to know where you get your info from. Is it the same source that lists the countless 8-8 teams that made it to the super bowl?

I mean really, 90% of kickers were nearly suicidal in high school? I never thought it would be a fraction over 85%.

The things you learn on a message board. :noidea:

Thats just me being comical, but sports players that are commit suicide other than any other kids on teams in highschool are soccer players and kickers on football teams. Its the truth, I don't feel like looking it up, you can research it yourself.

lionslicer
11-15-2010, 02:11 PM
So your saying jeff needs to be put on suicide watch because his little feelers got hurt. If he can't handle taking the blame for his screw ups he needs to get out. And if he can't get motivated by the coach's telling him do his job he needs to get the hell out.

This is the type of shit that causes people to kill themselves. I love football but I hate how a lot of fans are just big bullies and thinks everything can be solved if you just stop being a wussy. We'd have a lot less violence in this country if people like you didn't exist.

MACH1
11-15-2010, 02:33 PM
This is the type of shit that causes people to kill themselves. I love football but I hate how a lot of fans are just big bullies and thinks everything can be solved if you just stop being a wussy. We'd have a lot less violence in this country if people like you didn't exist.

:doh:

Maybe it's time for people like you to stop treating pro athletes like helpless little babies. Here's an idea, stop keeping score. That way everybody's a winner and their feel bads won't get hurt when they screw the pooch.

OX1947
11-15-2010, 02:35 PM
All this year has done is prove that Reed isnt worth the 4 mil per he was looking for. Maybe its his way of getting back at them.

lionslicer
11-15-2010, 02:38 PM
:doh:

Maybe it's time for people like you to stop treating pro athletes like helpless little babies. Here's an idea, stop keeping score. That way everybody's a winner and their feel bads won't get hurt when they screw the pooch.

I'm not treating anyone like anything, so he makes money and he shouldn't be a baby, it doesn't matter, psycologically people who are treated differently because they are famous have problems... go take a sociology or psycology class... the shit these people go through is really bad. Ever wonder why they have self destructive behavior? Its not because they are just crazy stupid drunks, its because we, the fans totally **** up their life. As someone who had something similar happen to him, though I'm not famous, I had a lot of people turn on me for a mistake, its a shitty feeling, leave the dude a lot, yea he sucks, deal with it, but it pisses me off that people pretty much go up to him and insult him to his face, most of them are people like you, but his friends do it too. Maybe you'd know what it was like if you had friends.

SteelCityMom
11-15-2010, 02:42 PM
Yeah Mach. You suck and have no friends. Nani nani boo boo. :flap:

How you feel NOW big boy! :chuckle:

Come on Lion....it's a pretty thin argument, at best. How do you know how his friends treat him? You're just going off of conjecture now.

lionslicer
11-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Yeah Mach. You suck and have no friends. Nani nani boo boo. :flap:

How you feel NOW big boy! :chuckle:

Come on Lion....it's a pretty thin argument, at best. How do you know how his friends treat him? You're just going off of conjecture now.

I'm just taking it personal because I know peope who killed themselves and tried to kill themselves because they are in a similar position as Reed, the only difference is he's getting paid which seems to make him more important to assholes on this board.

MACH1
11-15-2010, 02:49 PM
I'm not treating anyone like anything, so he makes money and he shouldn't be a baby, it doesn't matter, psycologically people who are treated differently because they are famous have problems... go take a sociology or psycology class... the shit these people go through is really bad. Ever wonder why they have self destructive behavior? Its not because they are just crazy stupid drunks, its because we, the fans totally **** up their life. As someone who had something similar happen to him, though I'm not famous, I had a lot of people turn on me for a mistake, its a shitty feeling, leave the dude a lot, yea he sucks, deal with it, but it pisses me off that people pretty much go up to him and insult him to his face, most of them are people like you, but his friends do it too. Maybe you'd know what it was like if you had friends.

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

Your a funny guy. Maybe you just need to grow a thicker skin.

I've done stupid shit in my life that not everyone was happy with, been there done that. And no it's not the end of the world. And guess what, nobody was around to baby me through it either. I paid the price and got on with life. You should too!

SteelCityMom
11-15-2010, 02:52 PM
I'm just taking it personal because I know peope who killed themselves and tried to kill themselves because they are in a similar position as Reed, the only difference is he's getting paid which seems to make him more important to assholes on this board.

This is a message board. It has no effect on your personal life, so you shouldn't take a person's post personally.

Sorry you've know people who have killed themselves or tried to, but that has zero factor on here. I bet 90% of the people here have had to deal with similar situations.

It doesn't change the fact that Reed gets paid millions to do a job. He chose to do that job in front of people who pay a lot of money to watch him (and others) do their jobs...again, jobs that they get paid A LOT of money to do. Him whining about being booed is pathetic. It was deserved.

I've worked enough jobs, with a lot less pay and a lot more criticism and apologized when I did a shitty job...not whine to my bosses or coworkers (media in Reeds case) that they were being to harsh. If he feels that badly about it, maybe he should use some of the millions that he makes and seek counseling. I've got zero sympathy.

lionslicer
11-15-2010, 02:52 PM
:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

Your a funny guy. Maybe you just need to grow a thicker skin.

I've done stupid shit in my life that not everyone was happy with, been there done that. And no it's not the end of the world. And guess what, nobody was around to baby me through it either, I paid the price and got on with life. You should too!

You're just a typical everyday asshole who doesn't care about anyone or anything. If it works for you, good for you, but it doesn't work for everyone, and its not skin or how anyone can handle themselves. Seriously watch the discovery channel or take a class, chemically we're all different and react to different situations differently, and some people go to the extreme with their reactions.

Like it's extremely ignorant and inconsiderate to think everyone can just move on with their life after something happens because you don't know. Its like critisizing a religion when you know nothing about it.

MACH1
11-15-2010, 02:58 PM
You're just a typical everyday asshole who doesn't care about anyone or anything. If it works for you, good for you, but it doesn't work for everyone, and its not skin or how anyone can handle themselves. Seriously watch the discovery channel or take a class, chemically we're all different and react to different situations differently, and some people go to the extreme with their reactions.

Like it's extremely ignorant and inconsiderate to think everyone can just move on with their life after something happens because you don't know. Its like critisizing a religion when you know nothing about it.

I think someone needs a valium.

MattsMe
11-15-2010, 05:23 PM
Thats just me being comical, but sports players that are commit suicide other than any other kids on teams in highschool are soccer players and kickers on football teams. Its the truth, I don't feel like looking it up, you can research it yourself.

No, that's just you being called out for once again spouting off at the keyboard with made up statistics that may sound good when you type them, but simply are not true.

As for the rest of your sentence, I'm confused. Sports players that are commit suicide other than any other kids on teams? Is that some sort of code?

I read a response to you from ricardisimo a while back. I think I'll quote it here.

"Words mean things." :sofunny:

Maybe you'd know what it was like if you had friends.

You're just a typical everyday asshole who doesn't care about anyone or anything.

http://www.phuckpolitics.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Pot_Meet_Kettle.jpg

Really man, give it a rest.

btaylor179
11-15-2010, 05:50 PM
ive never liked him.......never