PDA

View Full Version : next years draft

TRH
11-15-2010, 09:44 AM
as badly as we need to address OL and secondary....watch.
We'll take another couple Linebacker's in the first couple rounds.

Weak attempt at trying to be funny, but sadly, it could be true

BritishSteel
11-15-2010, 10:00 AM
Ha ha ha.

50 bucks on Ryan Kerrigan it is!

lionslicer
11-15-2010, 10:28 AM
Last couple year's linebackers have turned out well... I remember people scratching their heads over Timmons and Woodley and look what they turned out to be. Though I think we took enough the past couple drafts.
The tema has too many needs to really draft well. Needs O-linemen, Corners, defensive linemen, saftey's, as much as troy is good he's injury prone and clark just isn't that good.

This team needs to build through free angency but Ben and Harrison take up way too much space.

theplatypus
11-15-2010, 10:49 AM
Last couple year's linebackers have turned out well... I remember people scratching their heads over Timmons and Woodley and look what they turned out to be. Though I think we took enough the past couple drafts.
The tema has too many needs to really draft well. Needs O-linemen, Corners, defensive linemen, saftey's, as much as troy is good he's injury prone and clark just isn't that good.

This team needs to build through free angency but Ben and Harrison take up way too much space.

You think they should suddenly abandon what has worked for years?

lionslicer
11-15-2010, 10:52 AM
You think they should suddenly abandon what has worked for years?

I never said to abandon anything...? I just think the GM needs to get players on the team from free agency because the Steelers don't have enough draft picks to actually fill the teams needs.

TRH
11-15-2010, 11:21 AM
I never said to abandon anything...? I just think the GM needs to get players on the team from free agency because the Steelers don't have enough draft picks to actually fill the teams needs.

My thoughts as well. No way we draft even close to the amount of players we need on OL and DB for years.
Not saying we become total free agent *****s, BUT...
we do have to fill a couple things. And really fast.

madtowndrunkard
11-15-2010, 11:32 AM
We will be taking an OT or DT in the first round

ricksteelers55
11-15-2010, 11:55 AM
We need to go DL and CB in the first 2 rounds.With all the injuries on the DL this year it makes you realize that we dont have depth there.

Third Rail
11-15-2010, 12:03 PM
Heres how it will go:

Round 1: Kicker
Round 2: Punter
Round 3: Defensive End
Round 4: Defensive End
Round 5: Defensive End
Round 6: Defensive End
Round 7: Long Snapper

mikegrimey
11-15-2010, 12:05 PM
I would love for us to be in position to draft an elite tackle but think we could use some fresh legs on the d line or secondary as well. There's definitely more than one hole that needs to be fixed but I think most people recognize the worst gash being the O line, as usual.

SteeleReign
11-15-2010, 12:28 PM
They have always & will continue to draft the best available from a list of needed positions. If they feel that the best available player at our pick in the first round in a safety then we will be drafting a safety. They won't (and shouldn't) draft a lower-tier CB over an upper-tier LB just because we need CB more.

Third Rail
11-15-2010, 12:32 PM
They have always & will continue to draft the best available from a list of needed positions. If they feel that the best available player at our pick in the first round in a safety then we will be drafting a safety. They won't (and shouldn't) draft a lower-tier CB over an upper-tier LB just because we need CB more.

Five words:

Rashard Mendenhall over Chris Johnson.

They seriously didn't do their homework there. Even if you think Mendy's been good (I personally think he's mediocre at best and has just had a few lucky games) he isn't even in the same league as CJ2K.

I'd go so far as to say that if we had drafted Johnson, we'd have a 7th Super Bowl ring right now.

ZoneBlitzer
11-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Five words:

They seriously didn't do their homework there. Even if you think Mendy's been good (I personally think he's mediocre at best and has just had a few lucky games) he isn't even in the same league as CJ2K.

I'd go so far as to say that if we had drafted Johnson, we'd have a 7th Super Bowl ring right now.

Yeah, that is a major head scratcher.

SteeleReign
11-15-2010, 12:40 PM
Five words:

Come one dude - this isn't fantasy football. There was no way to know that CJ would be this good. Aside from that, I doubt that CJ would have performed to this level given the state of our offensive line.

Truthfully, I don't think our draft performance has been a problem. It's more an issue with over-valuing our current roster.

Lord of Lombardi
11-15-2010, 12:44 PM
just look how Pouncy has made a difference. Add Hartwell and Ben gets sacked more than 5 times last night. Get more O lineman and this team gets better. Ben Candy arm might actually throw the ball long enough to Wallace.

Third Rail
11-15-2010, 12:53 PM
Perhaps it is true that it would have been impossible to predict CJ's amazing performance at the NFL level, but these guys do this for a living. They should know how to evaluate players. And with CJ's record-tying 40-time and college stats, I just can't believe that someone didn't think, "Maybe we shouldn't overlook this guy."

Although, yeah... with our O-Line, perhaps he would be CJ1K or CJ500 or CJ-IR right about now.

SteeleReign
11-15-2010, 01:03 PM
Perhaps it is true that it would have been impossible to predict CJ's amazing performance at the NFL level, but these guys do this for a living. They should know how to evaluate players. And with CJ's record-tying 40-time and college stats, I just can't believe that someone didn't think, "Maybe we shouldn't overlook this guy."

Although, yeah... with our O-Line, perhaps he would be CJ1K or CJ500 or CJ-IR right about now.

Well, he really doesn't fit the typical profile for a Steelers RB. I'm sure they looked at him, but decided he might be too fragile. Of course, that isn't the case, but there was no way to know that prior to the pick.

BKAnthem
11-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Come one dude - this isn't fantasy football. There was no way to know that CJ would be this good. Aside from that, I doubt that CJ would have performed to this level given the state of our offensive line.

Truthfully, I don't think our draft performance has been a problem. It's more an issue with over-valuing our current roster.

yes it has...we haven't really addressed the O line or secondary the last 2 drafts...Kraig Urbick?-Cut, Keenan Lewis?-couldn't beat out 85 year old Deshea Townsend, Joe Burnett? -See Keenan Lewis the wack ass short armed center from Penn State?- gone. Yet we draft 8 Lb's on a unit that could have been addressed next draft since it was only for depth. We need potential starters at the Corner and O-Line and 1 center and a free agent guard/Tackle out of the last 2 years of drafting won't cut it...

SteeleReign
11-15-2010, 01:46 PM
yes it has...we haven't really addressed the O line or secondary the last 2 drafts...Kraig Urbick?-Cut, Keenan Lewis?-couldn't beat out 85 year old Deshea Townsend, Joe Burnett? -See Keenan Lewis the wack ass short armed center from Penn State?- gone. Yet we draft 8 Lb's on a unit that could have been addressed next draft since it was only for depth. We need potential starters at the Corner and O-Line and 1 center and a free agent guard/Tackle out of the last 2 years of drafting won't cut it...

All the benefit of hindsight. Every team misses on a few picks. No story here. :coffee:

BKAnthem
11-15-2010, 01:53 PM
All the benefit of hindsight. Every team misses on a few picks. No story here. :coffee:

how about the benefit of better scouting? other players were available that i thought the steelers would take that are playing well for their teams right now.

Third Rail
11-15-2010, 01:54 PM
Well, he really doesn't fit the typical profile for a Steelers RB. I'm sure they looked at him, but decided he might be too fragile. Of course, that isn't the case, but there was no way to know that prior to the pick.

And therein lies their problem. Too many teams get lost in this idea that they have to play the exact same way they did 30 years ago. What's wrong with a speedy running game rather than a power running game, if that's what works? What's wrong with throwing the ball for red zone TDs, if running it constantly gets you stuffed at the goal line?

The Steelers need to adapt a stop thinking that they are still playing in the 70s.

SteeleReign
11-15-2010, 02:54 PM
And therein lies their problem. Too many teams get lost in this idea that they have to play the exact same way they did 30 years ago. What's wrong with a speedy running game rather than a power running game, if that's what works? What's wrong with throwing the ball for red zone TDs, if running it constantly gets you stuffed at the goal line?

The Steelers need to adapt a stop thinking that they are still playing in the 70s.

No argument from me on this point. I agree that the days of the Steelers running it down your throat, even when they know it's coming are long gone. It's time to adapt.

mikegrimey
11-15-2010, 03:00 PM

This is dead on. It's sad hearing wretched people act like bigwig draft buffs reporting on what should have been done 2 years after the fact.

Reminds me of Captain Hindsight on South Park.

Additionally, the constant criticism of our FO drafting linebackers needs to be checked and more realistic. Even if you draft for a depth, it's a necessary depth. The defense runs through the LB's, especially with the Steelers, we need to groom the replacements for our departing star OLBs once they get up to big contract status.

SH-Rock
11-15-2010, 03:03 PM
We don't need LB, we need help on the Secondary which is the number one concern.

mikegrimey
11-15-2010, 03:06 PM
We don't need LB, we need help on the Secondary which is the number one concern.

I would put the secondary as 1B and the Oline as 1A (like it's been for the last few years). It would benefit and make sense to draft a top tier lineman or DB early in the draft.

Third Rail
11-15-2010, 03:08 PM
No argument from me on this point. I agree that the days of the Steelers running it down your throat, even when they know it's coming are long gone. It's time to adapt.

Exactly. There is only one Jerome Bettis, and he's been gone for five years.

TRH
11-15-2010, 03:37 PM
Yep. Its not 1992 anymore.
Don't even tell me Johnson wouldn't fit into this team. He would be marvelous to have.
That said, i still like Mendenhall.

lionslicer
11-15-2010, 04:18 PM

I think he means typical running back as in someone who runs up the gut because thats what the Steelers system is based around. It isn't the Steelers history, its how Arian's philosophy is, and it has no need for a speed back.. We all saw how bad Parker did under Arians.

kwpit79
11-15-2010, 05:12 PM
Our drafts have been pretty good. When was the last time we busted out on our first round pick, 1999 (the Troy Edwards pick)?

Since 2000 (which I believe is Colbert's first year):

2000: Plaxico Burress
2001: Casey Hampton
2002: Kendall Simmons (OK, he didn't last long but it was mostly due to acquiring diabetes in his second year)
2003: Troy Polomalu
2004: Big Ben
2005: Heath Miller
2006: Santonio Holmes
2007: Lawrence Timmons
2008: Rashard Mendenhall

I mean, execept for Simmons, the rest are Pro Bowl-level talents. That's pretty rare to almost never whiff on your first round pick.

Now some of the other picks ...:noidea:

BigRick
11-15-2010, 05:42 PM

Very true. don't care if we had the second coming of Barry Sanders, if somebody doesn,t open a hole he goes nowhere. :banging:

MDSteel15
11-15-2010, 06:10 PM

OK, for one, he played football at East Carolina! Do you know another player that played in that week conference that you can say you knew would be that good? And don't say David Garrard because I doubt you knew who he was before he was drafted! :popcorn:

SteeleReign
11-15-2010, 06:19 PM

I disagree. If we are going to run the Steelers version of the 3-4 then we need LB's. Given Farrior's drop-off last year & the concern that Timmons may have been a bust, the FO felt that LB was a major need.

Without a stable of athletic LB's, it wouldn't matter how many DB's we draft, the whole defense would fail.

Now, going forward, with Timmons, Worilds, and Sylvester, we may be okay. But, then again, what's going on with Woodley? Our defense needs first-round quality LB's and DE's more than first-round quality CBs.

SteeleReign
11-15-2010, 06:20 PM
OK, for one, he played football at East Carolina! Do you know another player that played in that week conference that you can say you knew would be that good? And don't say David Garrard because I doubt you knew who he was before he was drafted! :popcorn:

Yeah, I'd love to see all the uproar over our picking Mendenhall over CJ 3 years ago. I doubt it existed at the time.

MDSteel15
11-15-2010, 06:23 PM

I do believe we just won our 6th title?!?!?!