PDA

View Full Version : CH-CHA-CHANGES

Set-Man
11-15-2010, 09:36 PM
It was sickening to watch the game yesterday and listening to the commentary today was even worse.

My opinion and my opinion only:

1) I've heard a few of the Steelers gush over Tom Brady's abilities. Now I am all for conceding defeat but it was like they had man-crushes on him. I think any decent qb could have picked them apart the last two weeks.

2) It is time to draft some new tackles. We talk about it every year and nothing happens. Pouncey has shown that a good offensive lineman is worth his weight in gold. Could you imagine if we still had Hartwig? Did you notice how we didn't touch Brady? Why because the Patriots have an offensive line.

3) It is time to ditch the 100% zone D we have and get another cover corner in the draft or free agent (if able). Playing 20 yds off your man and getting beat deep is embarrassing. They picked apart the middle of the field all game. The defense was so lifeless out there and we don't have corners who can cover, we have corners who can tackle (sometimes).

4) Please put William Gay out of his misery and take him out. He got burned two weeks in a row. It's not all his fault but he gets placed in some bad spots. That is a scheme issue.

5) Ziggy Hood is not getting the job done. Can't hold his gap.

6) Offense is too frickin' predictable. BA needs to go. It is getting hard to see Mendy getting hit 3 yds in the backfield 50% of the time.

I propose the following:

1) Draft a left tackle. If Colon comes back next year, he is okay at right tackle. We need an upgrade at right guard too.

2) Get Lewis or Butler in there for a shot. Mcfadden is done for. Draft a corner second.

3) Try to mix man to man in with the zone defense if we can get another cover corner opposite Ike.

4) Use some more screens to offset the blitz.

5) Teach Ben how to throw the ball away, I don't think he knows how.

6) Let another Defensive lineman give it a shot as Ziggy couldn't hold his own out there.

7) Put Worilds in there once in a while to rush the passer.

8) Get a new field goal kicker. Reed has lost it.

9) Randle-El needs to be cut. Stick Brown or someone else in.

10) Give Troy his old rover position back. He is not making plays as a pure safety.

Positives:

1) Sanders is a good returner. I think he makes at least one guy miss and gets us decent field position.

2) Timmons is the real deal as long as he is healthy.

3) Mendy is a great back, he just needs a line.

Just my 2 cents. I think it is time to make some changes. :banging:

tony hipchest
11-15-2010, 09:42 PM
1. sign mike vick.
2. cut anyone over the age of 29.
3. bring in wade phillips
4. sell the team to stanley drukenmiller.
5. get jordan gross and john kuhn no matter the cost
6. make batch/bettis/ward all position coaches.

CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

ricardisimo
11-15-2010, 09:45 PM
1. sign mike vick.

CHAMPIONSHIP!!!
You forgot signing Merriman.

MattsMe
11-15-2010, 09:58 PM
You forgot signing Merriman.

You fool! If we sign Merriman we'll have no money left for Randy Moss next year! :doh:

To the OP:

You made some good points. Can't say I agree with everything, but that's why they call them opinions. :drink:

lionslicer
11-15-2010, 09:59 PM
Bring in someone who knows what they are doing. Browns brought in Holmgren, Dolphins brought in Parcells, Steelers need someone who knows what they are doing when it comes to football, especially at the GM and Football operations positions. People think of the HC a lot when they think of teams, but GM's and presidents or vice presidents, whatever you want to call them help teams out a lot when it comes to evaluating talent and bringing in new coaches and players through free agency which is what this team needs this off season.

But as for the rest of this season... the Coaches have to stop day dreaming when game planning.

tony hipchest
11-15-2010, 10:05 PM
are you on crack? holmgren/parcells havent won jack shit since the 80's-mid 90's. :doh:

lionslicer
11-15-2010, 10:08 PM
are you on crack? holmgren/parcells havent won jack shit since the 80's-mid 90's. :doh:

Browns are actually winning games.. Dolphins have had some winning seasons since Parcells got there.. first playoff birth since like the late 90's...
Thats why they aren't coaches anymore, they can't win on the field, but they know what to do behind the desks.

Parcells also took shity teams and turned them into playoff/superbowl teams. Look at his record. Before the he went to the Giants, they were terrible, before he went to the Jets they were terrible before he went to the Patriots they were the worst in the league and he took them to the superbowl, and took the cowboys to the playoffs and most of the talent that took that team to the playoffs the past couple years he brought there.

MattsMe
11-15-2010, 10:10 PM

:rofl:

Bu bu bu but the Browns beat the Patriots!

lionslicer
11-15-2010, 10:10 PM
:rofl:

Bu bu bu but the Browns beat the Patriots!

Something the Steelers couldn't do even if they cheated. Or Tom Brady is injured.

tony hipchest
11-15-2010, 10:14 PM
Browns are actually winning games.. Dolphins have had some winning seasons since Parcells got there.. first playoff birth since like the late 90's...
Thats why they aren't coaches anymore, they can't win on the field, but they know what to do behind the desks.so you wanna fire kevin colbert because the browns suck slightly less than they do on any other typical year and the dolphins are no longer piutting up 1-15 seasons?

get the hell out of here with that bullshit. :doh:

i swear, some of the random crap you pull out of your ass isnt even worth dignifying with a response.

lionslicer
11-15-2010, 10:18 PM
so you wanna fire kevin colbert because the browns suck slightly less than they do on any other typical year and the dolphins are no longer piutting up 1-15 seasons?

get the hell out of here with that bullshit. :doh:

i swear, some of the random crap you pull out of your ass isnt even worth dignifying with a response.

Yeah... and because he drafts poorly and can't scout for anything.

Its a building process... Maybe you didn't see what I edited, but Parcells took many 1-15 teams to the playoffs in just a couple years after taking control of them. He won 2 superbowls with 1 and took the patriots to 1. It's not their coaching ability, its their ability to evaluate players that Colbert does not have at all. Holmgren made a superbowl team twice, has one of the biggest coaching trees in history and you know took one of the worst NFL teams to the superbowl in 2005... But no that means nothing I guess.

Whats Colbert done other than piss everyone off in free agency and the draft? May I remeind you Sweed, El and Battle.. just 3 of his most noticable idiotic mistakes.

Holgren atleast brough in McCoy and Hillis and Parcells pretty much rebuilt the Dolphins.

tony hipchest
11-15-2010, 10:33 PM

Its a building process... Maybe you didn't see what I edited, but Parcells took many 1-15 teams to the playoffs in just a couple years after taking control of them. He won 2 superbowls with 1 and took the patriots to 1. It's not their coaching ability, its their ability to evaluate players that Colbert does not have at all. Holmgren made a superbowl team twice, has one of the biggest coaching trees in history and you know took one of the worst NFL teams to the superbowl in 2005... But no that means nothing I guess.

Whats Colbert done other than piss everyone off in free agency and the draft? May I remeind you Sweed, El and Battle.. just 3 of his most noticable idiotic mistakes.

Holgren atleast brough in McCoy and Hillis and Parcells pretty much rebuilt the Dolphins.please tell me you arent confusing mike holmgren with the great bill walsh. :doh:

coach wisenhunt took the cardinals to the SB and he is from the great cowher/colbert coaching tree. :noidea:

but i wont hold it against you for showing your admiration towards parcells and holmgren. infact, i thong you should start aq thread to applaud their greatness in the nfl forum.

in the meantime i will continue to laugh my ass off at any of this tripe started in the steelers forum.

FWIW the brown and dolphins woulda probably hired colbert over either of their ancient champions, had he not been under contract with the rooneys.

lionslicer
11-15-2010, 10:37 PM
please tell me you arent confusing mike holmgren with the great bill walsh. :doh:

coach wisenhunt took the cardinals to the SB and he is from the great cowher/colbert coaching tree. :noidea:

but i wont hold it against you for showing your admiration towards parcells and holmgren. infact, i thong you should start aq thread to applaud their greatness in the nfl forum.

in the meantime i will continue to laugh my ass off at any of this tripe started in the steelers forum.

FWIW the brown and dolphins woulda probably hired colbert over either of their ancient champions, had he not been under contract with the rooneys.

Walsh and Shula have the best for how far it goes, but Holmgren has the most head coaches that ever coached on a coaching staff at one time. I think 9 coaches who all coached together under him have become head coaches, it's probably more now. But no coach can say that about their coaching staff, its a fact. But again what do I know.

I'll have my admiration because they actually have done great things when they coached, laugh and do whatever, but when Colbert signs another battle, and resigns randle el and then still refuses to put both Browns and Sanders, I wont say I didn't warn you...

ricardisimo
11-15-2010, 10:47 PM
Colbert's team has two Superbowl victories. Parcells has none as a GM with three teams. Holmgren has a loss... to Colbert, no less. :noidea:

cloppbeast
11-15-2010, 10:49 PM

Holgren atleast brough in McCoy and Hillis and Parcells pretty much rebuilt the Dolphins.

You are a damned fool.

You choose your facts very selectively. You are an ignoramus.

Seriously dude, think about what you are saying. Last year, the Steelers had a down year and they were 9-7, missing the playoffs on a tie-breaker. This was in a down year - the owner was disappointed. I doubt the Browns, or even 25 other teams in the NFL would be disappointed with the same performance. In fact, the Texans finished with the same record and were very encouraged by their season.

Now, the the Steelers are 6-3, but just got beat by one of the better teams in the league - mind you, by one of the best coaches in the league, on a short week, and after a 3 game road stretch facing a division rival and the defending Super Bowl champs.

They're still tied of first in the division, and they're one pace to make the playoffs. On top of that, they've just finished up the difficult part of their schedule.

After a bad game, you want to can the guy who built two Super Bowl winning teams because Willie Gay (a fifth round pick) and Limas Sweed suck? Or because a second year defensive end isn't developing as fast as you want? Let me guess - you were one of the guys labeling Lawrence Timmons a bust?

This is just a typical overreaction from a fan - and not even a smart one at that. Luckily the Rooney family won't make such an overreaction because they know football, not you.

I'm not going to sit here and say the Steelers are the best team in the league or anything - they may not even be the best team in the AFC North. But only an idiot would want to give up a FO who consistently puts championship contending squads on the field after one bad game.

Go elsewhere with this crap.

fer522
11-15-2010, 10:49 PM
Colbert sucks
he knows no talent
he signed Tomlin!!!!!:chuckle:

StainlessStill
11-15-2010, 11:22 PM
I say we throw away our 5th round draft pick for no apparent reason and go out and get Brian St.Pierre to compete with Ben for the starting job and re-sign Jay Reimsersma for an actually "receiving" tight end and ask Heath Miller to be the next Mark Bruener and then bring in T.O to give us some "Bengals tendencies" all while neglecting big time lineman in the draft.

lionslicer
11-16-2010, 12:12 AM
See this is what I don't get, everyone complains about the draft about free angency and the Steelers terrible roster management, but then when I say something I get told I'm an idiot, then the very guy you've been bashing for the past couple years, you say is a saint. You're ****ing hypocrites.

Tis why I changed my avatar. I hope I get banned, some of you people ****ing suck and just want to say I'm wrong because you can't deal with your own hyprocitical ways. **** you people.

I'm trying to dis the steelers or anything, I'm litterally just saying what could be done to better what everyone else is complaining about. But seriously you people read less about what your saying than I do, atleast I dont' contradict myself because I'm too concerned about self ****ing pride.

tony hipchest
11-16-2010, 12:44 AM
See this is what I don't get, everyone complains about the draft about free angency and the Steelers terrible roster management, but then when I say something I get told I'm an idiot, then the very guy you've been bashing for the past couple years, you say is a saint. You're ****ing hypocrites.

Tis why I changed my avatar. I hope I get banned, some of you people ****ing suck and just want to say I'm wrong because you can't deal with your own hyprocitical ways. **** you people.

I'm trying to dis the steelers or anything, I'm litterally just saying what could be done to better what everyone else is complaining about. But seriously you people read less about what your saying than I do, atleast I dont' contradict myself because I'm too concerned about self ****ing pride.wat the **** are you talking about? in the 5 years ive been here (seeing thousands of members come and go) you gotta be the 1st idiot to go on a colbert bashing rampage.

i hope you get banned too. your avatar sucks and looks like a 4 year old drew it.

juyst cut it with the bullshit. come correct or dont come at all. have a take, and dont suck, otherwise be prepared to be called out on all the bullshit you post. if you cant handle it, just leave. no need to waste everyones time trying to commit suicide by mod.

SteelCurtain0815
11-16-2010, 12:51 AM
I agree with some of the things Lionslicer is saying. I also agree that you guys are bashing him way too hard. All of his posts were intelligent posts. I wouldn't put any of the blame on Colbert, however. I think all of the blame should be put on our coaches. Last nights game was embarrassing. We played with no fire at all. The Brady bunch marched up and down on us at will and our offense was pathetic until NE started giving us points when they knew they had control of the game. Back to the topic though...No one can argue what Holmgren and Parcells have done for their teams. They truly are two of the best, if not the best, talent evaluators in the game. I don't see where Colbert has gone wrong any where though. He has put together two super bowl championship teams, so you can't argue with that...

SteelCurtain0815
11-16-2010, 12:57 AM
TonyHipchest is the exact reason why people leave message boards. Mods acting like their opinion's are superior to everyone else's. Sure, I don't agree that Colbert has anything to do with our playing. It's all on the coaches. But instead of bashing the guy like he is a moron, give an intelligent post to back yourself up because your the one who sounds like a moron to be honest with you.

OX1947
11-16-2010, 12:59 AM
Steelers need to get a better offensive coordinator and a better (bleep) scheme against the Pats. I am sick and tired of watching that (bleep) do 5 fakes, a twirl and spin and no one is (bleep) near him for 10 secs. That is the crap im sick of seeing.

I want revenge come january. I want the Pats in the playoffs and stupid ass Tomlin needs to figure out a dime package that forces that stupid ass team to run a little.

tony hipchest
11-16-2010, 01:03 AM
i enjoy lionslicers enthusiasm as a fan, but one can only throw so much spew out there before they get called on it.

if everybody is entitled to an opinion, then everybody else must be entitled to a rebuttal.

tony hipchest
11-16-2010, 01:06 AM
TonyHipchest is the exact reason why people leave message boards. Mods acting like their opinion's are superior to everyone else's. Sure, I don't agree that Colbert has anything to do with our playing. It's all on the coaches. But instead of bashing the guy like he is a moron, give an intelligent post to back yourself up because your the one who sounds like a moron to be honest with you.:applaudit:

does that mean im like the guy who makes 90% of all high school football team kickers suicidal? :popcorn:

(when you align yourself with lionslidcer, im not to sure youre in the best position to judge who is looking like a moron and who isnt :noidea:)

SteelCurtain0815
11-16-2010, 01:08 AM
i enjoy lionslicers enthusiasm as a fan, but one can only throw so much spew out there before they get called on it.

if everybody is entitled to an opinion, then everybody else must be entitled to a rebuttal.

Agreed. Granted, I'm not going to call someone retarded if I disagree with them. I'm going to state my opinions and facts and prove them wrong.

MACH1
11-16-2010, 01:13 AM
TonyHipchest is the exact reason why people leave message boards. Mods acting like their opinion's are superior to everyone else's. Sure, I don't agree that Colbert has anything to do with our playing. It's all on the coaches. But instead of bashing the guy like he is a moron, give an intelligent post to back yourself up because your the one who sounds like a moron to be honest with you.

You must have been a HS kicker.

Careful Tony, you want to coddle these guys so they don't go off the deep end.

:coffee:

SteelCurtain0815
11-16-2010, 01:23 AM
You must have been a HS kicker.

Careful Tony, you want to coddle these guys so they don't go off the deep end.

:coffee:

HS Quarterback thank you very much. :hatsoff:

tony hipchest
11-16-2010, 01:24 AM
Agreed. Granted, I'm not going to call someone retarded if I disagree with them. I'm going to state my opinions and facts and prove them wrong. anyone can disagree with a mod here, and anyone is more than welcome to leave. i would be more than glad to provide a "great" new site's address where lionslicer woulda been quickly shown the door for daring to step up to a mod and disagree (yourself as well for standing up for him).

and with that being said, i have seen many idiots come and go. not one has said that colbert sucks and needs to be replaced because of what the likes of the browns and dolphins have accomplished.

if you feel so, then that is your right. just be prepared to bear that cross when called out for supporting such an assinine stance.

FWIW- bill parcels quit on the dolphins, and holmgen doesnt even know if he is gonna fire his coach or coach himself.

unlike jerry jones/ dolphins/browns the rooneys know how to own.

owners own. managers manage. coaches coach and players play. if you cant handle what i type then either argue it with facts or lionslice it.

SteelCurtain0815
11-16-2010, 01:36 AM
anyone can disagree with a mod here, and anyone is more than welcome to leave. i would be more than glad to provide a "great" new site's address where lionslicer woulda been quickly shown the door for daring to step up to a mod and disagree (yourself as well for standing up for him).

and with that being said, i have seen many idiots come and go. not one has said that colbert sucks and needs to be replaced because of what the likes of the browns and dolphins have accomplished.

if you feel so, then that is your right. just be prepared to bear that cross when called out for supporting such an assinine stance.

FWIW- bill parcels quit on the dolphins, and holmgen doesnt even know if he is gonna fire his coach or coach himself.

unlike jerry jones/ dolphins/browns the rooneys know how to own.

owners own. managers manage. coaches coach and players play. if you cant handle what i type then either argue it with facts or lionslice it.

Like I said before, I don't agree that Colbert is terrible by any means, or should be let go. Re-read my post if you have to. He is a respectable GM, as was Parcells and Holmgren. I don't know why you threw the team owner's out there. I never brought that up in any of my posts. Way to repost what I just posted to by the way-

"Granted, I'm not going to call someone retarded if I disagree with them. I'm going to state my opinions and facts and prove them wrong"

"owners own. managers manage. coaches coach and players play. if you cant handle what i type then either argue it with facts or lionslice it"

ricardisimo
11-16-2010, 01:38 AM
I do remember a thread or two about Colbert's middle-rounds impotence. But a lot of that was debunked, and I don't recall anyone calling for his head.

Lion, for whatever it's worth, you do get picked on quite a bit, but from my perspective you ask for it almost without exception. You should either be fact-checking yourself ahead of time, or you should be composing your posts with a little less certainty in your tone, and a little more :noidea:. Just my two cents.

SteelCurtain0815
11-16-2010, 01:44 AM
I do remember a thread or two about Colbert's middle-rounds impotence. But a lot of that was debunked, and I don't recall anyone calling for his head.

Lion, for whatever it's worth, you do get picked on quite a bit, but from my perspective you ask for it almost without exception. You should either be fact-checking yourself ahead of time, or you should be composing your posts with a little less certainty in your tone, and a little more :noidea:. Just my two cents.

I'm sure I have read lionslicer's posts before, but I don't recall them. I just thought people were attacking the guy a little harshly. It seemed to me, that he was just stating his opinions and still having the attitude of :noidea: instead of the attitude of :helmet:

MACH1
11-16-2010, 01:47 AM
I'm sure I have read lionslicer's posts before, but I don't recall them. I just thought people were attacking the guy a little harshly. It seemed to me, that he was just stating his opinions and still having the attitude of :noidea: instead of the attitude of :helmet:

There was a time that the both of you would have been banned by now. Him for a personal attack and you for using the word retard.

tony hipchest
11-16-2010, 01:51 AM
. Way to repost what I just posted to by the way-

" technically it is a "quote" not a re-post.

:cookie: to you too!

SteelCurtain0815
11-16-2010, 01:53 AM
My how times have changed :drink:

ZoneBlitzer
11-16-2010, 01:55 AM
My how times have changed :drink:

Indeed, they have haven't they?

SteelCurtain0815
11-16-2010, 02:00 AM
I think one thing we can all agree on, besides possibly lionslicer, is that Colbert has nothing to do with the way our team has been playing and to say that he isn't an elite GM is ludacris. He has put together two super bowl champions and a team that competes year in and year out. The reason I stuck up for lionslicer is because I thought, perhaps, he was just trying to vent on the loss last night and looking for someone to blame it on. You guys let him know that wasn't the issue pretty blatantly. lol.

tony hipchest
11-16-2010, 02:08 AM
I think one thing we can all agree on, besides possibly lionslicer, is that Colbert has nothing to do with the way our team has been playing and to say that he isn't an elite GM is ludacris. He has put together two super bowl champions and a team that competes year in and year out. The reason I stuck up for lionslicer is because I thought, perhaps, he was just trying to vent on the loss last night and looking for someone to blame it on. You guys let him know that wasn't the issue pretty blatantly. lol.dont sweat it. no offeses to lionslicer or yourself but he does have a habit of saying alot of wacky outlandish claims with no factual basis.

did you know the steelers didnt practice vs the TE last week?

did you know 90% of all HS kickers are suicidal?

etc. :coffee:

SteelCityMom
11-16-2010, 02:11 AM
Jebus.

Everybody done gone off the deep end this week.

Lion, you'll probably never be banned. But no more pity party. You can swear and call names all you want, but always be ready to back up your statements with facts. Just how it goes.

Getting rid of Colbert would be the single stupidest thing the Rooney's could do right now. Next to giving Arians a new contract that is. :chuckle:

Here's a good article stuffed with little Colbert facts. There is no way in hell the Rooney's ever intentionally let this guy slip away.

*Note* This was written just before SBXLIII

TAMPA, Fla. Kevin Colbert is the best NFL general manager you've never heard of.

That's because Colbert isn't a general manager, per se. He's the Steelers director of football operations.

Same responsibilities as a GM but with a less glamorous title.

Colbert is so good that the Detroit Lions haven't had a winning record since he left as their pro scouting director following the 1999 season.

In Colbert's 10 seasons with Detroit, the Lions went to the playoffs five times with records of 12-4, 10-6, 9-7, 10-6 and 9-7.

That's right, the same sorry Lions who went 0-16 in 2008.

Of Detroit's 10 first-round draft picks since Colbert's getaway - including a total of six top-10 selections - only four are still with the Lions, and two are out of the league.

Since Colbert returned to his hometown in 2000, the Steelers have reached two Super Bowls, including Super Bowl XLIII against the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday, four AFC Championship Games and won five AFC North titles.

Six of the nine Steelers first-round draft picks under Colbert Ben Roethlisberger, Casey Hampton, Troy Polamalu, Heath Miller, Santonio Holmes and Kendall Simmons were in the 2008 opening-day lineup against the Houston Texans at Heinz Field.

The average draft position of those players is 20, late first-round material at best. Yet, they are key components for what in four days could become the NFL's best team.

The other three first-round picks are receiver Plaxico Burress, who signed with the New York Giants when his original contract ran out and caught the game-winning touchdown pass in Super Bowl XLII, backup linebacker Lawrence Timmons, who had five sacks in the regular season, and running back Rashard Mendenhall, who missed most of his rookie season with a broken shoulder but is expected to make a full recovery next season.

Colbert has won more Super Bowls than Arizona general manager Rod Graves, and San Diego general manager A.J. Smith. He's won as many Super Bowls as Baltimore general manager Ozzie Newsome and New York Giants senior vice president and general manager Jerry Reese.

And the best title the Steelers can come up with for Colbert is director of football operations?

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_609112.html

MattsMe
11-16-2010, 02:11 AM
dont sweat it. no offeses to lionslicer or yourself but he does have a habit of saying alot of wacky outlandish claims with no factual basis.

I move that we keep all wacky outlandish claims with no factual basis confined to political threads.
With the occasional Brett Favre comment thrown in for good measure.

All in favor?

ZoneBlitzer
11-16-2010, 02:12 AM
1) I've heard a few of the Steelers gush over Tom Brady's abilities. Now I am all for conceding defeat but it was like they had man-crushes on him. I think any decent qb could have picked them apart the last two weeks.

Decent QB's have already picked them apart including one Colt McCoy with 280 yards passing.

2) It is time to draft some new tackles. We talk about it every year and nothing happens. Pouncey has shown that a good offensive lineman is worth his weight in gold. Could you imagine if we still had Hartwig? Did you notice how we didn't touch Brady? Why because the Patriots have an offensive line.

But the standard is the standard is the standard is the standard is the standard...
There's something odd about that offensive line. But I dare not say...

3) It is time to ditch the 100% zone D we have and get another cover corner in the draft or free agent (if able). Playing 20 yds off your man and getting beat deep is embarrassing. They picked apart the middle of the field all game. The defense was so lifeless out there and we don't have corners who can cover, we have corners who can tackle (sometimes).

I don't think they can play man either truth be told.

4) Please put William Gay out of his misery and take him out. He got burned two weeks in a row. It's not all his fault but he gets placed in some bad spots. That is a scheme issue.

He's just not living up to the standard which is the standard of the standard.

Come on Evander get it together. The Steelers should hire whoever is responsible for drafting the D-Linemen of the Giants.

6) Offense is too frickin' predictable. BA needs to go. It is getting hard to see Mendy getting hit 3 yds in the backfield 50% of the time.

Well is it BA or personnel? I'd say having BA doesn't help. He's coaching like Stevie Wonder out there.

I propose the following:

1) Draft a left tackle. If Colon comes back next year, he is okay at right tackle. We need an upgrade at right guard too.

Free agency?

2) Get Lewis or Butler in there for a shot. Mcfadden is done for. Draft a corner second.

We might have to give the coaches credit on this one. You have to think that they can't possibly be that stupid to allow below standard play to continue. You have to believe that Lewis and Butler are stinking the joint out in practice.

3) Try to mix man to man in with the zone defense if we can get another cover corner opposite Ike.

Agreed.

No! No screens! By order of Bruce Arians. There shall be no screens save for the bubble screen. That is his favorite screen play. It usually gets 1 to 3 yards.

No! Never! Let Ben be Ben! It's okay for him to cough up the ball like he's entering a rugby scrum. That's just Ben being Ben and the coaches and the entire media say that we have to have it that way forever.

6) Let another Defensive lineman give it a shot as Ziggy couldn't hold his own out there.

Call on the CFL I say....

He doesn't know the entire defense. He may misread something or have a brain aneurysm.

Who else is out there? I say get someone in from Aussie rules football. Those guys can kick the ball 120 yards easy.

No! Rookies aren't allowed to play until it is absolutely the 11th hour.

10) Give Troy his old rover position back. He is not making plays as a pure safety.

Yes, please. I miss that Troy.

Positives:

1) Sanders is a good returner. I think he makes at least one guy miss and gets us decent field position.

The kid is doing all right. I was impressed with the fumble he caused in the Cinci game.

Yup, he's good.

Ah, I wouldn't say great at this point. But that's a matter of personal preference. I prefer a push the pile kind of guy.

steeltheone
11-16-2010, 03:14 AM
We sat on this team for to long. We did not replace aging players with young blood like we have done so successfully in the past. One reason is poor drafting.

We are basically the same team Cowher had when he left. I realize Woodley, Timmons and Pouncey are Tomlin picks. Thats 3 in 4 years.

We have brought in zero free agents having any impact on the team. The rush was on to sign Foote, El and Mcfadden. Only Mcfadden has had any success.

I believe you always need to pump young blood into a team no matter how good they are. The older players get satisfied and stale.

rbryan
11-16-2010, 03:25 AM
Fire everyone....we just dropped 4 spots in the power rankings.

TRH
11-16-2010, 08:42 AM
yeah, i think its showing now that instead of going out and getting old ex-players like Randel El, Foote, etc, we really should have gone after some youth. We are looking OLD on defense out there

fer522
11-16-2010, 01:16 PM
what make you a good GM i wonder
how many years has he been with the steelers?
how many players has he drafted?
and most importantly
how many of his draftees are playing on the team right now?
im not saying hes bad or nothing but if you draft anywhere from 5 to 10
players each year chances are that u at least are gonna get 1 good player
each draft, and does that qualify you as a good GM?
or bringing back old players that you really did not need anymore
rather than bringing in new and younger players that you could use from more than one year?
i know he is a smart man and i hope that he will correct the problems we have had
with the OL and secundary before we waste all the talent that we have. :wave:

lionslicer
11-16-2010, 03:05 PM
dont sweat it. no offeses to lionslicer or yourself but he does have a habit of saying alot of wacky outlandish claims with no factual basis.

I never said that :P

And a lot of kickers significantly have been suicidal more than other players. See I'm not going to post facts because in the past when I did people still call me an idiot because I'm right for the wrong reasons. And some of my facts are from books and I don't have a scanner to you know put them up here.

I've been a tad more emotional and bashing for no reason because I'm tired of everyone comming after me, especially in the past when I was right but been told I'm an idiot for other reasons. It's annoying, when people act insane and use insane ideas against me, I'll do the same back, even if I know I'm wrong just to piss them off for being so mean to me. But of course no one will admit it because no one admits they are wrong because of their ego.

But again I know nothing, no one should take anything I say seriously because I guess reading and learning everything I can about football and other subjects is apart of the past, the only thing that matters is pulling crap out of your ass.
Which is what peopel accuse me of when they do it themselves.

Set-Man
11-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Wow I never thought this thread would have had so many contributions, few to my original points, though.
Well Reed is gone, but I am suspect of Suisham. I saw him in person miss a chip shot field goal against the Saints last year. My comment to my buddy next to me was, "Geez, I'm glad he's not the Steelers kicker.....". I also saw him miss an extra point, yikes!

Be careful for what you ask for.

btaylor179
11-16-2010, 04:37 PM
1) ben needs to throw ball away
2) get wr's that can catch and run routes

Whodis
11-16-2010, 04:40 PM
Great point to the origional poster.

I would only say to be a little patient with Hood. Missing Smith and Keisel is huge. Not an excuse for how we played Sunday.

fer522
11-16-2010, 05:12 PM
lionslicer
Assistant Coach

shouldn't give a shit what others think of you brother :tt03:

Set-Man
11-16-2010, 08:30 PM
Great point to the origional poster.

I would only say to be a little patient with Hood. Missing Smith and Keisel is huge. Not an excuse for how we played Sunday.

Thanks. Yes the defensive line is thin. I agree that patience is necessary but Hood was not worth a first round pick. Maybe his attributes (rushing the passer) doesn't fit the Steelers defense ( hold the gap) so the backers can make the play.

steeltheone
11-16-2010, 08:33 PM
Thanks. Yes the defensive line is thin. I agree that patience is necessary but Hood was not worth a first round pick. Maybe his attributes (rushing the passer) doesn't fit the Steelers defense ( hold the gap) so the backers can make the play.

Holding the gap i understand...But you can still get some pass rush...???

stb_steeler
11-16-2010, 08:38 PM
Something the Steelers couldn't do even if they cheated. Or Tom Brady is injured.

Uh err hum.....did the Steelers not beat Patriots last season when Marchia was injured.

Set-Man
11-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Holding the gap i understand...But you can still get some pass rush...???

Yes just watch the Giants' front four. Everytime I watch them I wish we could have just one of them. When they are on target, the Giants' D is unstoppable. Out of those 4 lineman, they get the equivalent of a blitz 75% of the time.

stb_steeler
11-16-2010, 08:39 PM
1. sign mike vick.

CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Steelers had Kuhn but let him go......I think he would have been a good fit for Steelers

tony hipchest
11-16-2010, 08:45 PM
I never said that :P

lets be clear about what you did say then-

They didn't plan on Brady passing the ball a lot nor did they plan for the tightends. I think because against the browns, the passing game was bad and the tightend that destroyed the Steelers last night played terrible last week. They just didn't prepare from every angle, just poor coaching.

= same difference. :coffee:

do you know what practice is? its planning and preparing.

Big D
11-16-2010, 08:53 PM

how about parcells draft record with the dolphins. Drafting two qbs in the 2nd. pat white and chad henne. What genious was that?

Big D
11-16-2010, 09:10 PM
here are first round draft picks holmgren drafted while gm of the seahawks from 98-02
98- anthony simmons
99-lamar king
00- chris mcintosh
01- steve hutchinson. pretty impressive pick
02 koren robinson
holmgren whiffed in 4 out of 5of these drafts

steeltheone
11-17-2010, 03:32 AM
Not only drafts but we have brought in no productive free agents on either side of the ball.

ricardisimo
11-17-2010, 06:02 PM
Not only drafts but we have brought in no productive free agents on either side of the ball.
You mean like Willie Parker and James Harrison?

ricardisimo
11-17-2010, 08:05 PM
I just found this article (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/11/kevin-colbert-4th-round-draft-success/) critiquing the argument that Colbert sucks in the middle rounds, specifically regarding his supposed 4th-round impotence. The author does his homework, and his findings are that...
... the Steelers and Colbert ranked third in the NFL from 2000-2010 when it came to drafting — and getting production from — fourth-round picks. Third. Overall. Behind the Colts and the Jets.
It's a good read all around. Colbert's a keeper, even if he's not Chuck Noll in his prime. Even there, go back and look at some of Noll's less famous drafts. There were some real stinkers tucked away in there.

Steeler4life1972
11-17-2010, 08:29 PM
It was sickening to watch the game yesterday and listening to the commentary today was even worse.

My opinion and my opinion only:

I propose the following:

Positives:

Just my 2 cents. I think it is time to make some changes. :banging:
Amen brother...I've been sayin' the same thing for a while. You've been doing your homework like me!:thumbsup:

Set-Man
11-17-2010, 08:43 PM
I just found this article (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/11/kevin-colbert-4th-round-draft-success/) critiquing the argument that Colbert sucks in the middle rounds, specifically regarding his supposed 4th-round impotence. The author does his homework, and his findings are that...

It's a good read all around. Colbert's a keeper, even if he's not Chuck Noll in his prime. Even there, go back and look at some of Noll's less famous drafts. There were some real stinkers tucked away in there.

I don't mind Colbert, I think he is okay in the draft. We need to pick positions better (ie: offensive line, cornerbacks). I know I am preaching to the choir.

Saying that, I like last years draft a lot. I just wish they didn't have to give up Gibson from the practice squad.

ricardisimo
11-18-2010, 04:21 PM
I don't mind Colbert, I think he is okay in the draft. We need to pick positions better (ie: offensive line, cornerbacks). I know I am preaching to the choir.

Saying that, I like last years draft a lot. I just wish they didn't have to give up Gibson from the practice squad.
It's worse than that. Gibson was on the roster. Meanwhile Arnaz Battle has 3.5 special teams tackles, and zero everything else.