PDA

View Full Version : Leaders

eafratitpm3
11-15-2010, 08:54 PM
I'm sitting here watching this Monday Night game and I just saw Philly score 35 points in almost 1 quarter on the Redskins and guess what I saw. After a Redskins defensive series London Fletcher had the whole Defense on the sideline giving them a talking. The next series when the Redskins were on Defense they showed the Redskins sideline and McNabb was doing the same thing. This Steeler team has no leaders on either side of the ball. The Redskins are getting spanked and they have more intensity in this short amount of time then the Steelers showed in the whole game last night.

tony hipchest
11-15-2010, 08:57 PM
scoreboard!

the redskins havent won crap since 1992.

lionslicer
11-15-2010, 09:00 PM
scoreboard!

the redskins havent won crap since 1992.

I think he's showing that the Redskins are more into a game they are getting blown out in than the Steelers are in a close game.

Whens the last time you saw anyone on defense give a motivational speech? Porter like 4 years ago. Farrior is okay at it, but he isn't as emotional as Porter was, and Harrison, Timmons and Woodley are as emotional as rocks.

eafratitpm3
11-15-2010, 09:00 PM
My point exactly, a team like the Redskins can get motivated but we can't. That's BS!!!!

tony hipchest
11-15-2010, 09:02 PM
we are like the cowboys. fire the head coach and we will get motivated. :rolleyes:

lionslicer
11-15-2010, 09:04 PM
we are like the cowboys. fire the head coach and we will get motivated. :rolleyes:

By who? Arians? LeBeau? They show less emotional than Tomlin... Wade Phillips doesn't even have emotion when they win. At press conferences he sounds like his dog just died, even if the team won by like 50 points.

Steelers are just flatlining right now when it comes to emotion.

eafratitpm3
11-15-2010, 09:04 PM
I think he's showing that the Redskins are more into a game they are getting blown out in than the Steelers are in a close game.

Whens the last time you saw anyone on defense give a motivational speech? Porter like 4 years ago. Farrior is okay at it, but he isn't as emotional as Porter was, and Harrison, Timmons and Woodley are as emotional as rocks.

Exactly!! Thanks for clarifying. That's all I'm saying!

MattsMe
11-15-2010, 09:07 PM

Kevin Colbert must go. And that Omar Khan dude. He sounds Muslim. Probably a terrorist.

SH-Rock
11-15-2010, 09:24 PM
Kevin Colbert must go. And that Omar Khan dude. He sounds Muslim. Probably a terrorist.

You are an arrogant person.

fer522
11-15-2010, 09:57 PM

funny but a bad joke

MattsMe
11-16-2010, 12:36 AM
You are an arrogant person.

That would hurt my feelings if I wasn't so arrogant.

rbryan
11-16-2010, 02:34 AM
When was the last time the Stillers gave up 59?

You might want to think about a different example to illustrate your point.

TRH
11-16-2010, 07:52 AM
i'm sure everybody on both sides of the ball caught the Steelers game Sunday night...

any player with a pulse saw how listless and not-into-the-game we were. You almost wonder if the Redskins, or anybody playing, saw that and knew they had to go out there and show some intensity.

Atlanta Dan
11-16-2010, 09:15 AM
I'm sitting here watching this Monday Night game and I just saw Philly score 35 points in almost 1 quarter on the Redskins and guess what I saw. After a Redskins defensive series London Fletcher had the whole Defense on the sideline giving them a talking. The next series when the Redskins were on Defense they showed the Redskins sideline and McNabb was doing the same thing. This Steeler team has no leaders on either side of the ball. The Redskins are getting spanked and they have more intensity in this short amount of time then the Steelers showed in the whole game last night.

That really worked out well for them didn't it?

If acting out when you are losing is the way to go then i guess the ultimate warrior is Ocho Cinco, who got into a fist fight with a coach during the Bengals blowout playoff loss to the Steelers sevral years ago

The Steelers are a veteran team and the leaders have not been shouters since Porter was let go - yelling cannot fix a shot left side of the o-line, a banged up d-line, and issues in the secondary

steelcity1974
11-16-2010, 09:36 AM
Great topic.
How about Brady chewing out his entire offense after they failed to convert a 3rd down when they were already up 10-0. And then he goes out on the field and delivers what he preaches. Billichec is on the sideline working with his defense and not even paying attention to his offense when they are on the field. When was the last time you saw Ben rip his offense? His form of motivation is to pat them on the back and say "come on guys"...f-that! He needs to get pissed when those guys don't block or drop sure TDs! And Tomlin needs to quit being such a "player's coach" and start getting in guys faces. The D is missing a guy like Joey Porter...we don't have a "bad boy" on the D that gets the respect of the entire team. Troy would be the perfect guy to motivate that D, but he doesn't seem to have a voice at all. If the Steelers had half the emotion we saw from the Patriots, we would be unbeatable. But I don't see any leaders standing out at all on this team.

vasteeler
11-16-2010, 10:16 AM
Great topic.
How about Brady chewing out his entire offense after they failed to convert a 3rd down when they were already up 10-0. And then he goes out on the field and delivers what he preaches. Billichec is on the sideline working with his defense and not even paying attention to his offense when they are on the field. When was the last time you saw Ben rip his offense? His form of motivation is to pat them on the back and say "come on guys"...f-that! He needs to get pissed when those guys don't block or drop sure TDs! And Tomlin needs to quit being such a "player's coach" and start getting in guys faces. The D is missing a guy like Joey Porter...we don't have a "bad boy" on the D that gets the respect of the entire team. Troy would be the perfect guy to motivate that D, but he doesn't seem to have a voice at all. If the Steelers had half the emotion we saw from the Patriots, we would be unbeatable. But I don't see any leaders standing out at all on this team.

J P's mouth was very embarrassing i am glad we dont have anyone mouthing off like that

steeltheone
11-16-2010, 11:49 AM
It's human nature. We have basically the same team on the field as Cowher had his last year. They are old and satisfied.

Atlanta Dan
11-16-2010, 11:54 AM
Agreed you will see QBs with some experience (Brady/Peyton Manning/Marino back in the day) openly cuss out players for not performing.

Given his pre-Milledgeville rep in the locker rooom Roethlisberger apparently was scorned by a lot of the vets who ignored whatever he had to say and post-Milledgeville #7 is trying to be a "good teammate" and invite players over to the house to bake smores and sing Kumbaya - so do not look for any yelling from Ben this year

plenewken
11-16-2010, 12:16 PM
Agreed you will see QBs with some experience (Brady/Peyton Manning/Marino back in the day) openly cuss out players for not performing.

Given his pre-Milledgeville rep in the locker rooom Roethlisberger apparently was scorned by a lot of the vets who ignored whatever he had to say and post-Milledgeville #7 is trying to be a "good teammate" and invite players over to the house to bake smores and sing Kumbaya - so do not look for any yelling from Ben this year

Milledgeville or not, Ben doesn't look like he's 100% focused and committed. He's not a student of the game like the top QBs in this league. Ever seen Ben studying pictures on the sidelines like Manning or Brady? Remember last year how sloppy he looked?

steelcity1974
11-16-2010, 01:09 PM
J P's mouth was very embarrassing i am glad we dont have anyone mouthing off like that

You clearly missed the point of my post. I'm not talking about the external media comments Joey made...I'm talking about the way he was on the sideline and in the locker room with his teammates...that's what this team is lacking.

By the way, I disagree that his mouth was embarrassing. The guy spoke his mind and told it how he saw it. I respect that in a business where guys are so PC and afraid to say how they feel. He always said, "I'm just telling the truth"...like the comments before SB XL about Jeremy Stevens being soft...he was right.

Atlanta Dan
11-16-2010, 01:30 PM
Milledgeville or not, Ben doesn't look like he's 100% focused and committed.

Lot of that going around with this team at the moment - cutting loose a 9 season vet probably does not help unless the locker room already was tired of Reed's attitude

It has just been an odd Steelers season with the dreaded off the field distractions - as soon as they get past Roethlisberger's suspension the Harrison hits bring the wrath of the league down on the physical play at which the Steelers excel while Troy gets into it with the league office at the same time his play appears to have slipped as Collinsworth says Timmons rather than Polamalau now has the role of freelancing disruptive force.

My head hurts (not due to a concussion) just sorting through the off the field drama

MattsMe
11-16-2010, 01:51 PM
We played without our starting QB for the first 4 games. We're decimated by injuries to both lines. And we're still 6-3. Maybe I'll worry about who's yelling at who if we lose the next two games, but until then I'm pretty damn happy with where this team is.

TRH
11-16-2010, 11:48 PM
I also feel we need someone (or someones) yelling, screaming, jumping up and down on the sidelines, pumping fists, etc...
It was crystal clear Sunday night (to a national audience nonetheless) who came to win. We looked like we didn't even want to play, let alone win. Tomlin stands there like a deer in headlights statue and the players looked like they were auditioning for parts in a "Night of the Living Dead" sequel.
We REALLY need some people to step up.
I also agree that in light of Ben's "accusations", he's in a tough spot, he really can't be yelling at players on the field. The media, who already don't report the situations hes encountered fairly, will have a field day and will end up putting a negative spin on something like that.

TRH
11-16-2010, 11:51 PM
We played without our starting QB for the first 4 games. We're decimated by injuries to both lines. And we're still 6-3. Maybe I'll worry about who's yelling at who if we lose the next two games, but until then I'm pretty damn happy with where this team is.

True. Although a couple of those wins i didn't feel good about and should have lost. Now if we had 6 impressive wins under our belt, i would feel pretty happy. But i think we can all agree, we don't have six impressive victories.

tony hipchest
11-16-2010, 11:57 PM
if anyone thinks any yelling, screaming, jabberjawing, or flying spittle was going to win the game on sunday, they are mistaken.

that game was won by the patriots mon-sat. stepping onto the field and executing it was a simple formality.

we had a plan to win with lebeaus standard HOF defense, and allowing arians to offensively outwit belichick (who is not only their HC but offensive and defensive coordinators as well).

we lost. im not really suprized.

our players actually did ok executing a vanilla and bland defense.

TRH
11-17-2010, 07:49 AM
it does when it shows you're fired up and want to win and everybody's "hulked up", it sure as hell does. Especially when the other team is standing around like wax figurines.
As much as i dislike Brady, it really showed us up, the way he was rallying the troops on his side. And on national TV. We REALLY looked dumb.

NYC_Steeler
11-17-2010, 08:05 AM
This is a dead team leadership-wise. Look at the Ravens - you see Ray Ray going up and down the sidelines or in a huddle with his teammates. Even Tom Brady was going ballistic on the sidelines. When have you ever seen that on our sidelines? There's no fire in these guys - they seem like zombies and don't know what hit them or what to do about it. Joey Porter was the guy who used to do this - and he's long gone. Very sad.

plenewken
11-17-2010, 08:12 AM
This is a dead team leadership-wise. Look at the Ravens - you see Ray Ray going up and down the sidelines or in a huddle with his teammates. Even Tom Brady was going ballistic on the sidelines. When have you ever seen that on our sidelines? There's no fire in these guys - they seem like zombies and don't know what hit them or what to do about it. Joey Porter was the guy who used to do this - and he's long gone. Very sad.

My sentiment exactly.

Atlanta Dan
11-17-2010, 08:30 AM

And since Porter has left which of the following three teams has won a Super Bowl

1. Patriots and emotional leader Tom Brady who gagged against the Giants in SB XLII

2. Ravens and emotional leader Ray Lewis who lost three times to the Steelers in the same season in 2008; or

3. The leadership deprived Steelers?:noidea:

Yelling is no substitute for execution and avoiding injuries

NYC_Steeler
11-17-2010, 08:37 AM
And since Porter has left which of the following three teams has won a Super Bowl

1. Patriots and emotional leader Tom Brady who gagged against the Giants in SB XLII

2. Ravens and emotional leader Ray Lewis who lost three times to the Steelers in the same season in 2008; or

3. The leadership deprived Steelers?:noidea:

Yelling is no substitute for execution and avoiding injuries

But which team gives a damn about what's going on the field of play? So what that they don't win the SB, at least they show that they care and have some fire in their belly. When you see your team look listless and play uninspired football, it makes you very angry. When the guys are fired up and yelling and screaming, at least you can say they gave a damn even though they lost. For them to just stand around looking like zombies is very disappointing. Again, no leadership, period. Show me that you give a damn, at the very least.

steeltheone
11-17-2010, 09:28 AM
Once again, an old team that's had success. Much Success. Besides Woodley and Timmons we have not injected enough head hunting talented youth. This is Cowhers team 5 years older.

Atlanta Dan
11-17-2010, 10:03 AM
But which team gives a damn about what's going on the field of play? So what that they don't win the SB, at least they show that they care and have some fire in their belly. When you see your team look listless and play uninspired football, it makes you very angry. When the guys are fired up and yelling and screaming, at least you can say they gave a damn even though they lost. For them to just stand around looking like zombies is very disappointing. Again, no leadership, period. Show me that you give a damn, at the very least.

But I thought the point to this whole thread was that the Steelers would be winning more if they were doing the equivalent of the Ray Ray dance or Ben would cuss out players on the sidelines?

My response was that nobody seemed too concerned about the post-Porter "lack of fire" when the Steelers won another Lombardi in 2008. And most folks jumped Tomlin when his promise to "unleash hell" (that certainly would appear to meet the requisite give a damn standard of passion) turned out to be an empty threat last season.

If watching a team "give a damn" counts for anything, then Redskins fans must have been thrilled to watch all the acting out on the sidelines while their team was giving up 35 points in the first 20 minutes the other night.

If passion lights a fire under a team then go for it - but as far as yelling being a metric for how much a team cares, I respectfully do not buy it - nobody has a greater passion for the game than Polamalu and Harrison regardless of whether or not they dance in the pre-game introductions

:drink:

chacha
11-17-2010, 11:22 AM
But I thought the point to this whole thread was that the Steelers would be winning more if they were doing the equivalent of the Ray Ray dance or Ben would cuss out players on the sidelines?

My response was that nobody seemed too concerned about the post-Porter "lack of fire" when the Steelers won another Lombardi in 2008. And most folks jumped Tomlin when his promise to "unleash hell" (that certainly would appear to meet the requisite give a damn standard of passion) turned out to be an empty threat last season.

If watching a team "give a damn" counts for anything, then Redskins fans must have been thrilled to watch all the acting out on the sidelines while their team was giving up 35 points in the first 20 minutes the other night.

If passion lights a fire under a team then go for it - but as far as yelling being a metric for how much a team cares, I respectfully do not buy it - nobody has a greater passion for the game than Polamalu and Harrison regardless of whether or not they dance in the pre-game introductions

:drink:

:iagree:

I dont need anyone on my team jumping around like Ray Lewis or being look at me like Ocho, And I dont need them yelling at each other either.

eafratitpm3
11-17-2010, 03:40 PM
The majority of you understand this thread, the few that don't here's the deal. This thread isn't about if we yell and scream we would have beat the Patriots. It's about showing up and representing Steeler Nation in your house and showing a hint of intensity when you're getting drummed by one of the most hated teams/players of Steeler Nation. I watched the post-game interviews and all the players had the same intensity in those interviews that they came on the field with pre-game. Bottom line you are a professional football player, if you need a coach to get you excited for that game than there's more of a problem than just coaching.

urgle burgle
11-18-2010, 09:55 PM
my two sense:

we seem to have an emotional and psychological issue when it comes to playing the Patriots w/Brady. we don't think we can win. Especially if we start of slow or down by some points. I think it is a mental thing. No excuse, but thats my opinion. If we handle the Raiders I think that fact may become evident, if not, then well, everything else is up for grabs.