PDA

View Full Version : With or Without Smith

steelerchad
11-16-2010, 09:12 AM
Aaron Smith was a pretty healthy guy until the last 4 seasons. 3 of the last 4 seasons he has missed significant time due to injuries. The only season in the last 4 he hasn't missed a game was 08, when we were 12-4 and won the SB.

Last 4 seasons records including playoff games with and without Smith.

With Smith. 32-10
W/O Smith. 8-11

Those are staggering records. I know there were other factors involved. But,
Any word on if or when this guy could be back?

steelcity1974
11-16-2010, 09:40 AM
Even if he does come back this year, or next year...it's clear his body is letting him down and his career is on the decline. Sad to see this unfold in front of our eyes...Aaron Smith is a Steeler through and through and I just hope he can extend his career as a backup for this team. But I don't see him lasting as a starter any more. The front office needs to get more guys to replace our aging D line.

steeltheone
11-16-2010, 11:21 AM
Aaron Smith was a pretty healthy guy until the last 4 seasons. 3 of the last 4 seasons he has missed significant time due to injuries. The only season in the last 4 he hasn't missed a game was 08, when we were 12-4 and won the SB.

Last 4 seasons records including playoff games with and without Smith.

With Smith. 32-10
W/O Smith. 8-11

Those are staggering records. I know there were other factors involved. But,
Any word on if or when this guy could be back?

Yes, with Smith we would have beaten the Patriots. What a bunch of crap. He is 35 old and slow now. Our run defense has been the same no matter who plays.

fer522
11-16-2010, 11:52 AM
Yes, with Smith we would have beaten the Patriots. What a bunch of crap. He is 35 old and slow now. Our run defense has been the same no matter who plays.

the way we played sunday i dont think we would have beat a H S team even with him playing :banging:

steelerchad
11-16-2010, 02:24 PM

I was just stating fact. Did I say we would have beat the Patriots? Our team played like dog crap, so no we wouldn't have. Do I think Smith will be back next year? No, I don't. So, someone needs to step up, because we've sucked without him. And no, our run D hasn't been nearly as good without him this year or other years. You need to check your facts if you think it has. In fact, just look at the Miami game when he got injured. Nobody ran the ball all year until that game. For most of the first half the Dolphins couldn't even get a first down. But they moved the ball pretty well once he wen't down.

steeltheone
11-16-2010, 02:40 PM
I was just stating fact. Did I say we would have beat the Patriots? Our team played like dog crap, so no we wouldn't have. Do I think Smith will be back next year? No, I don't. So, someone needs to step up, because we've sucked without him. And no, our run D hasn't been nearly as good without him this year or other years. You need to check your facts if you think it has. In fact, just look at the Miami game when he got injured. Nobody ran the ball all year until that game. For most of the first half the Dolphins couldn't even get a first down. But they moved the ball pretty well once he wen't down.

Last year rushing against us was 6 yards more per game than in 2008 with Smith. Thats not worth the 6x more money he makes.

Listen, i like the guy. But we are now strapped with half a team of old players that need replaced....Keisel...Smith...Hoke ...Farrior.....Hampton....and now Ryan Clark.

Thats not what has kept us winning over the years. We replaced them before they got to this point.

StainlessStill
11-16-2010, 02:42 PM
Everyone wants to go goo-goo gaga over our linebackers and Polamalu AND for great reason, but our defense is REALLY built from the defensive line-out. Our down 3 lineman are so monumental not only in our run defense, but atleast applying pressure and collapsing the pocket on a 3/4 man rush. If that doesn't happen, then Troy can't be Troy and our backers can't be backers in our 3-4, which showed Sunday Night.

Mr.Smith, I know it's selfish, but PLEASE RETURN SOON!:banging::tt04:

steelerchad
11-16-2010, 02:46 PM
Last year rushing against us was 6 yards more per game than in 2008 with Smith. Thats not worth the 6x more money he makes.

Listen, i like the guy. But we are now strapped with half a team of old players that need replaced....Keisel...Smith...Hoke ...Farrior.....Hampton....and now Ryan Clark.

Thats not what has kept us winning over the years. We replaced them before they got to this point.

I'll agree with you there. This D has gotten old and instead of getting younger we got older by bringing back retreads in McFadden and Foote. I was happy with the trade for BMAC as Gay was totally inept last year, but isn't it saying we don't trust the guys we've drafted the last couple of years when you go out and sign aging veterans instead of giving them a chance.

I don't think Smith is the total answer, but you can't argue with how we've played without him. We've gotten no push from the line without him.

MDSteel15
11-16-2010, 02:47 PM

This has nothing to do eith the run defense but the pass rush! He takes away the double teams that Harrison and Woodley get because he can penetrate against the o-lines he faces and it opens up the LBers to get on the QB!

MDSteel15
11-16-2010, 02:48 PM
Mr.Smith, I know it's selfish, but PLEASE RETURN SOON!:banging::tt04:

Ditto :popcorn:

wootawnee
11-16-2010, 02:56 PM
the way we played sunday i dont think we would have beat a H S team even with him playing :banging:

Someone must have spiked the Kool-aid in the lockeroom cause they looked stoned........

finesward
11-16-2010, 04:47 PM

Considering the pats had a high ypc average against us i wouldn't really agree with you that it's been the same. what hasn't been the same is the penetration and push that aaron provided, often disrupting the QB, causing a hurry or sack. These have pretty much been nonexistent, especially against the pats. Smith, while slow, is unblockable. You can't block the guy. That's a huge advantage you can't always show in stats, but the W-L record gives a pretty good representation of how important the guy is.