PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Jeff Reed..

jev7452
11-16-2010, 11:10 AM
The Steelers cut PK Jeff Reed. Shaun Suisham worked out at Heinz Field and was signed. He will kick this weekend vs. Oakland

SteeleReign
11-16-2010, 11:16 AM
The Steelers cut PK Jeff Reed. Shaun Suisham worked out at Heinz Field and was signed. He will kick this weekend vs. Oakland

Yay?? If Suisham makes any difference then it was a good move. But, this should be the first of a handful of changes, most of which are far more pressing than our kicker.. :thumbsup:

steelerfan5
Thanks for your past contributions to the Steelers, Jeff, but your best days are behind you. Wishing you the best in your future ventures.

steeltheone
Wow...That was a quick hook....Not sure i would have done it yet.

SteeleReign
11-16-2010, 11:17 AM
I just hope that Suisham can get the kickoff deeper than the 12 yard line. It drove me crazy to see the returner catch the ball at the 12 & reach the 20 before we even had a chance to breath on him.

Atlanta Dan
11-16-2010, 11:19 AM
Link to P-G story

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10320/1103742-100.stm

Once he started missing at Heinz Reed's last justification for staying was gone.

But IMO missing kicks was not what sealed the deal - Reed claiming the front office had lied to him about contract negotiations gave Reed no margin for error when he made the fatal mistake of being truthful on Sunday night about the consistently horrible condition of the turf/cow pasture at Heinz which the Rooneys refuse to fix and apparently got into a shouting match with some fans while leaving the field.

Atlanta Dan
11-16-2010, 11:25 AM
Wow...That was a quick hook....Not sure i would have done it yet.

It is a gamble but Reed was no longer reliable at home - coaches and front office obviously know more than us with regard to why Reed had to go right now

Now that he has gone wonder whether Reed will blame teh new special teams coach for messing up his placekicking by altering his approach to kikoffs

Kingmagyar
11-16-2010, 11:25 AM
Suisham's stats

http://www.nfl.com/players/shaunsuisham/profile?id=SUI593274

Had a bad 2008, a pretty good 2009. Still missed a couple xtra points in his career.
I don't know about this one...Reed could be headed to Cincinatti or New England.
Heinz Field does have a learning curve. I would be willing to bet as often is the case this move will cost a game somewhere, let's hope not the playoffs.

Best Kicker in next year's draft?

Atlanta Dan
11-16-2010, 11:28 AM
Suisham's stats

http://www.nfl.com/players/shaunsuisham/profile?id=SUI593274

Had a bad 2008, a pretty good 2009. Still missed a couple xtra points in his career.
I don't know about this one...Reed could be headed to Cincinatti or New England.
Heinz Field does have a learning curve. I would be willing to bet as often is the case this move will cost a game somewhere, let's hope not the playoffs.

Best Kicker in next year's draft?

Thanks for the stats

Bengals will not pay for a kicker for this lost season and if Belichick is willing to let Randy Moss go for being disruptive why bring in a head case like Reed?

CargoJon
11-16-2010, 11:36 AM
Suisham's horrible. I watched him miss a 20 yarder against the Saints last year that would have iced the game - instead he missed...Saints went on to tie the game with a 50 yard bomb and beat the skins in overtime.

As bad as Reed was, this is the guy I didn't want.

CargoJon
11-16-2010, 11:37 AM
LMAO ESPN just called Suisham "Scott Suisham"

jjpro11
11-16-2010, 11:45 AM
pretty much anyone is an upgrade over than Reed this season. he's been the absolute worst kicker in the league. his days of being reliable are clearly behind him. Suisham may not be that good.. but he has to at least be somewhat better than the worst kicker in the league.

Atlanta Dan
11-16-2010, 11:47 AM
pretty much anyone is an upgrade over than Reed this season. he's been the absolute worst kicker in the league. his days of being reliable are clearly behind him. Suisham may not be that good.. but he has to at least be somewhat better than the worst kicker in the league.

And the Steelers can bring in someone else in a few weeks if this switch does not work out

plenewken
11-16-2010, 12:06 PM

Reed has missed very few short FGs during his career, and even this year.
Don't blame the guy for missing >50yds FGs. This is not his range. He shouldn't have to kick FGs from this distance if our coaches had an Oz of brains and if the offense was clicking on all cylinders, to begin with.
I agree that Reed's kick-offs were not good but this is not new.
Anyway, we'll see what Suisham brings to the table. Obviously, he's not a gem otherwise he wouldn't have been available today.
There's a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes at the Steelers. They let Santonio go, now they let Reeds go and the main reasons are not football related.
This doesn't smell good. I hope Reed doesn't end up with Cincinnati when they come here in December. He knows Heinz Field better than anyone.

SteelCityMom
11-16-2010, 12:13 PM

I've been displeased with his performance this year...but worst kicker in the league is a little extreme don't you think?

You may be eating your words if Suisham (who doesn't seem to have that great of a reputation at all) bombs this Sunday.

I was for replacing Reed, because of performance and attitude, but this seems really knee-jerk. I'm very wary. They did in one day what they probably should have taken an offseason and training camp to do IMO.

We'll see the next couple of weeks I guess. I'll reserve my final judgement for then.

Atlanta Dan
11-16-2010, 12:21 PM
I've been displeased with his performance this year...but worst kicker in the league is a little extreme don't you think?

Even if you ignore his rotten kickoffs, based on the stats for this year worst kicker in the league is spot on given his league worst 68.2% overall completion % and 0=4 record when kicking from 40-49 yards

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/kicking/sort/fieldGoalPct

It is a gamble - but Reed has been slipping since early 2009 (starting with the Chicago game in which fellow problem Holmes also contributed to the loss) and his acting out about his contract burned up any goodwill he had with management

Raw Steel
11-16-2010, 12:22 PM
Honestly, do you think Reed would have been cut now if he didn't make the comments? I think that sent him out the door. They have never been happy with Reed's attitude or behavior but have tolerated it because his performance was good enough. But to call out the fans and starting the blame game, you have to think that was the proverbial straw.

SteeleReign
11-16-2010, 12:25 PM

You may be eating your words if Suisham (who doesn't seem to have that great of a reputation at all) bombs this Sunday.

I was for replacing Reed, because of performance and attitude, but this seems really knee-jerk. I'm very wary. They did in one day what they probably should have taken an offseason and training camp to do IMO.

We'll see the next couple of weeks I guess. I'll reserve my final judgement for then.

Actually, he IS statistically the worst kicker in the league as far as % of FGA made. This move was more likely an attempt to kick-start a struggling team rather than purely an attempt to find a better kicker. I hope it works.

fer522
11-16-2010, 12:25 PM
i know he sucks but cut him in week 10?
i want Arians fired too but not in mid season while you are still playing for first place
i just hope this will not come back and bite us in the ass

SteeleReign
11-16-2010, 12:26 PM

Honestly, do you think Reed would have been cut now if he didn't make the comments? I think that sent him out the door. They have never been happy with Reed's attitude or behavior but have tolerated it because his performance was good enough. But to call out the fans and starting the blame game, you have to think that was the proverbial straw.

Yep...as it should have been,

SteeleReign
11-16-2010, 12:29 PM
i want Arians fired too but not in mid season while you are still playing for first place

Seriously? He's friggin kicker. It's not like he has to learn a playbook - he just needs to make FGs and kick the ball deeper than the 10 on kickoffs. Period. There is no compelling reason to wait.

Atlanta Dan
11-16-2010, 12:30 PM

Reed came in during mid-November 2002 - sometimes **** happens during the season

His appeal had been he could kick at Heinz - kickoffs were always a problem and his leg strength was resulting in misses from 40 - 49 on good fields and bad - add that to his attitude + missing the kick that should have won the Atlanta game and his time was up

SteeleReign
11-16-2010, 12:30 PM
Reed has missed very few short FGs during his career, and even this year.
Don't blame the guy for missing >50yds FGs. This is not his range. He shouldn't have to kick FGs from this distance if our coaches had an Oz of brains and if the offense was clicking on all cylinders, to begin with.
I agree that Reed's kick-offs were not good but this is not new.
Anyway, we'll see what Suisham brings to the table. Obviously, he's not a gem otherwise he wouldn't have been available today.
There's a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes at the Steelers. They let Santonio go, now they let Reeds go and the main reasons are not football related.
This doesn't smell good. I hope Reed doesn't end up with Cincinnati when they come here in December. He knows Heinz Field better than anyone.

Based on this season's performance, I hope the Bengals DO sign him. He can miss game-winning FGs for them instead.

SteelCityMom
11-16-2010, 12:35 PM
Even if you ignore his rotten kickoffs, based on the stats for this year worst kicker in the league is spot on given his league worst 68.2% overall completion % and 0=4 record when kicking from 40-49 yards

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/kicking/sort/fieldGoalPct

It is a gamble - but Reed has been slipping since early 2009 (starting with the Chicago game in which fellow problem Holmes also contributed to the loss) and his acting out about his contract burned up any goodwill he had with management

Damn you're right. I was looking at overall kicking stats (in which I think Carney was the worst). NO's has two shitty kickers right now. I didn't realize his FG % was that bad right now.

I'm still cautious though. I agree with most assessments here though. His comments and overall attitude most likely contributed to this move more than anything...but I just know what the attitude will be around here if Suisham screws the pooch on Sunday and beyond.

thumper
11-16-2010, 12:38 PM
I like it. It sends a message that crap play won't be tolerated. In the past, I feel Pgh has been far too slow
in reacting to things that needed addressed (I am looking at the Kordel/QB situation that was screaming for
a move but Cowher moronically stuck with him forever.) Let's be real: He has sucked this year. Missing that chip shot was the last straw. And if his comments added to the likelihood of him being canned? Good. This team needs a wake up call. F with the bull and you get the horns.

OX1947
11-16-2010, 12:41 PM
Letting him go had as much to do with his attitude as it did his kicking. Maybe now the receivers can realize that dropping passes is going to kill this team. I thought if there was one good thing about the play calling Sunday, it was at the goal line. It just sucks that the receivers had to pick that night to drop TD passes. And that was with Hines being sidelined.

Look for Arians to be gone after this year. With the injuries and the lack of brains in our offense, I can see the Steelers making the playoffs but I do not see a Super Bowl contender. Too many injuries at the worst spots. I mean, the line was bad before the season and 3 of those guys are out to make it even worse.

And I still say, Goodell destroyed this season for the Steelers. Steelers after his fine and suspend barrage a few weeks back killed the Steelers aggressiveness. And Ill tell you this, this has been the worst NFL season I have watched in my life. I remember watching the Miami game and Bengals game, both wins and pretty much having zero enjoyment after the games. I had never had that feeling after a win, ever. And watching the Eagles and Redskins yesterday, no one tackling well, marginal running backs looking like Walter Payton, the NFL product is turning into Arena football and it is pure garbage.

jjpro11
11-16-2010, 12:44 PM
i think his mind is just completely messed up right now. he has nowhere to go but down. the pressure from the media and fans has gotten to him.. he knows how his audition for a top kicker contract this season has been going horribly bad. once that kind of shit gets in a kickers head, forget about it. he's been acting really short-fused, defensive, and paranoid. that's a recipe for failure.

plenewken
11-16-2010, 12:49 PM
I like it. It sends a message that crap play won't be tolerated. In the past, I feel Pgh has been far too slow
in reacting to things that needed addressed (I am looking at the Kordel/QB situation that was screaming for
a move but Cowher moronically stuck with him forever.) Let's be real: He has sucked this year. Missing that chip shot was the last straw. And if his comments added to the likelihood of him being canned? Good. This team needs a wake up call. F with the bull and you get the horns.

If crappy play is the real reason, then Gay should have been cut a long time ago. Our secondary is putrid and Gay is the worst.
Yeah, Reed sucked this year (on and off the field) but he didn't cost us the losses against the Pats, Baltimore, or New Orleans.
I just find it strange and the timing is even more strange, that's all.

jjpro11
11-16-2010, 12:51 PM
Letting him go had as much to do with his attitude as it did his kicking. Maybe now the receivers can realize that dropping passes is going to kill this team. I thought if there was one good thing about the play calling Sunday, it was at the goal line. It just sucks that the receivers had to pick that night to drop TD passes. And that was with Hines being sidelined.

Look for Arians to be gone after this year. With the injuries and the lack of brains in our offense, I can see the Steelers making the playoffs but I do not see a Super Bowl contender. Too many injuries at the worst spots. I mean, the line was bad before the season and 3 of those guys are 5 are out to make it even worse.

And I still say, Goodell destroyed this season for the Steelers. Steelers after his fine and suspend barrage a few weeks back killed the Steelers aggressiveness. And Ill tell you this, this has been the worst NFL season I have watched in my life. I remember watching the Miami game and Bengals game, both wins and pretty much having zero enjoyment after the games. I had never had that feeling after a win, ever. And watching the Eagles and Redskins yesterday, no one tackling well, marginal running backs looking like Walter Payton, the NFL product is turning into Arena football and it is pure garbage.

what was the stat they mentioned last night? 13 or 14 QBs threw for over 300 yards this week? with 4 teams on a bye... wtf is that? it seems like every week there's a new offensive record taking place.

and i kinda can relate.. i've never been so mad at the NFL than this year. everything new this year has just pissed me off. the officiating gets worse every week. games are longer and longer with all the stupid challenges for receivers going to the ground with the football. it's just been a frustrating season, and that's with the Steelers being 6-3 for Christ sake.

LVSteelersfan
11-16-2010, 12:52 PM
I wanted him gone before the season even started. This is probably not the best time to audition a new kicker but he deserves what he got. That 26 yard miss was inexcusable if he is money at Heinz Field like so many people keep saying he was. He will more than likely find work somewhere. Hopefully not a division rival.

Fire Haley
11-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Wash/Dallas fans call Suisham 'The Choker' for a reason - they both cut him after big misses last year

If he misses a kick in a crucial game this could blow up in Tomlin's face.

Now I know where I remember him from

Suisham made 18 of 21 field goals for the Redskins in 2009, but he was cut after missing a short field goal in overtime of a potential upset over the Saints. Suisham finished the season with the Cowboys, making two of three fields goals in two regular-season games and missing two of three in a playoff loss to the Vikings, including a 48-yard attempt that would have given the Cowboys a lead.

Atlanta Dan
11-16-2010, 12:57 PM
In his chat right now Bouchette has reitererated in response to several questions that he thinks cutting Reed is a mistake that could burn the Steelers - says this was a pure Tomlin call with no front office input but that since Reed gets paid his full salary he might have survived if there was a cap this season

My bet is Tomlin and Skippy had it out Sunday night or yesterday

SteeleReign
11-16-2010, 12:58 PM

Look for Arians to be gone after this year. With the injuries and the lack of brains in our offense, I can see the Steelers making the playoffs but I do not see a Super Bowl contender. Too many injuries at the worst spots. I mean, the line was bad before the season and 3 of those guys are out to make it even worse.

I kinda agree with this.

SteelCityMom
11-16-2010, 01:00 PM
I'm with Bouchette on this. IF he does well...that's great I suppose. But this could quite possibly be the worst time to find a new kicker with winter approaching.

I still think this would have been a smarter thing to do in the offseason and have guys compete for the job in TC. Very risky deciding this in a day. I really do hope it works out though.

plenewken
11-16-2010, 01:03 PM

I wouldn't blame our WRs for the dropped passes Sunday. First, the passes were far from being on the numbers and second, the WRs were all tightly covered in the end zone. These passes could have been intercepted as easily as they were dropped.
None of these dropped passes looked like the ones Sweed collected a few years ago. None.

I want to see Arians gone after this season too but it will also require new personnel in the OL to go back to a dominating offense. Our current OL isn't good enough.

Fire Haley
11-16-2010, 01:07 PM
this could quite possibly be the worst time to find a new kicker with winter approaching.

Replacing a slacker with a choker. Interesting.

plenewken
11-16-2010, 01:49 PM

LOL. That pretty much sums it up.

StillerzFreak
11-16-2010, 02:07 PM
I wouldn't blame our WRs for the dropped passes Sunday. First, the passes were far from being on the numbers and second, the WRs were all tightly covered in the end zone. These passes could have been intercepted as easily as they were dropped.
None of these dropped passes looked like the ones Sweed collected a few years ago. None.

I want to see Arians gone after this season too but it will also require new personnel in the OL to go back to a dominating offense. Our current OL isn't good enough.

WR's are paid to catch the ball and make the QB look good, those balls hit their hands and should have been caught period. Anybody that has played the sport knows this.

CT_STEELERFAN
11-16-2010, 02:13 PM
If Reed had a few tequila shots and a bathroom towel dispenser to kick, he would have nailed that 26 yarder. Bye Bye

stb_steeler
11-16-2010, 02:21 PM

Yeah.....I dont get this move, couldnt they find some one else :noidea:

DoubleYoi
11-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Backyard Brawl and WPIAL Championships are 11/26-11/27. Good thing the NFL gave us two weeks on the road to get the turf fixed before having to play on it again. Regardless, bringing a new kicker into a cold-weather climate in November doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. Hopefully Suisham isn't as bad at Heinz Field as Doug Brien was.

SteelCityMom
11-16-2010, 02:28 PM
Yeah.....I dont get this move, couldnt they find some one else :noidea:

If they had waited a little longer...maybe, maybe not.

The Bengals had kicker tryouts yesterday too. The guys on their short list were Stover, Pettrey and Suisham. Suisham tried out here yesterday (and was the only one to do so), so he must have impressed to not bring anyone else in for tryouts.

With a division rival, possibly interested in one of the guys they were interested in, looking for a kicker at the same time, I guess they didn't feel comfortable waiting too long.

FYI...Bengals signed their new kicker today too, and no, it's not Reed (or Stover)

The Cincinnati Bengals made their choice of who will replace injured kicker Mike Nugent for the remainder of the season -- and it's not Jeff Reed.

Instead, Cincinnati (2-7) goes with another Ohio State alum in Aaron Pettrey, who was signed by the team Tuesday. On the same day, the Pittsburgh Steelers made Reed available after cutting the veteran and signing Shaun Suisham.

Pettrey, an undrafted rookie, will make his NFL debut Sunday against the Buffalo Bills (1-8).

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/20596/bengals-choose-their-kicker

Rick5895
11-16-2010, 02:33 PM
All kickers at one point or another get cut and are re-treaded. As far as I am concerned Suisham couldn't do any worse.

BigRick
11-16-2010, 02:34 PM

I agree he needed to go. Hope they get a decent kicker in the draft. Could thi be the begining of the end for some non-productive players. Maybe Gay will be next.:helmet:

StainlessStill
11-16-2010, 02:44 PM
Bye Bye Jeff Reed: It's been a fun ride. Reed has won tons of games for us, but this season has been a failure for him. Maybe now we can get a damn kicker that can kick the ball in the end zone on kickoffs!

steelerchad
11-16-2010, 02:52 PM
Wow. Did Reed cost himself a bundle by not negotiating a fair deal last year? By holding out for the max, he forced the Steelers hand and they tagged him with a 1 year tender. He went all in on himself having another solid year and it has backfired on him. If he even gets another job in the NFL, it will not be anywhere near the contract he wanted.

BKAnthem
11-16-2010, 03:25 PM
I think Reed has an Alcohol/Drug problem that probably has gotten progressively worse

btaylor179
11-16-2010, 03:28 PM
suisham couldnt kick in comfy fed ex field.....hes worst than reed imo.....this is gonna haunt us

Fire Arians
11-16-2010, 03:40 PM
Actually, he IS statistically the worst kicker in the league as far as % of FGA made. This move was more likely an attempt to kick-start a struggling team rather than purely an attempt to find a better kicker. I hope it works.

yep. and to add to that his kickoffs are probably the worst in the NFL. my baby cousin would be an upgrade over him

SteelCurtain5643
11-16-2010, 03:41 PM
suisham really?? they couldnt find anyone better? I wulda signed Stover idk if anyone on here wanted him or not. I really hope this doesnt bite us in the ass

jjpro11
11-16-2010, 03:47 PM
all kickers available now pretty much suck.. the only difference is their confidence likely isn't shattered (yet), like Reed's is. he couldn't handle the pressure of the fans, media, and playing for a contract. you can hear it in his words that his mind isn't in the right place.

ricardisimo
11-16-2010, 04:09 PM
Reed was on a short leash for his off-the-field escapades, and that leash was completely performance-based. Bad performance: goodbye Reed.

Whatever shortcomings Suisham may have, it's a safe bet he won't be having any altercations with towel dispenser along the PA turnpike. If he stays off the pages of hotchickswithdouchebags.com (http://hotchickswithdouchebags.com/2010/10/jeff-reed-parties-with-john-largeman/), I will be pleased.

Besides, does anyone really see Suisham missing a third of his kicks, as Reed has done?

For anyone from SoCal: Can you say Suisham without a smile?

saveus1011
11-16-2010, 04:11 PM
Heard Reed missed the door on the way out of the Steelers facility.

LVSteelersfan
11-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Heard Reed missed the door on the way out of the Steelers facility.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!! I heard he tried to kick the door on the way out but he missed.

OX1947
11-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Any kicker who thinks he is worth 4 mil per is an idiot. Especially someone who cant hit the endzone 9 out of 10 times. 2 million ok, i get, but you are still a freakin kicker who plays for 2 min a game total.

Fire Arians
11-16-2010, 04:23 PM
now we just need to fire arians!

Fire Arians
11-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Any kicker who thinks he is worth 4 mil per is an idiot. Especially someone who cant hit the endzone 9 out of 10 times. 2 million ok, i get, but you are still a freakin kicker who plays for 2 min a game total.

if a kicker wants 4 million they better be able to nail it from 70 yards

finesward
11-16-2010, 04:39 PM
damnit, i just bought a #3 throwback jersey too...

:doh:

fer522
11-16-2010, 04:55 PM
if not from 70 at least from 26 :banging:

Tulsa
11-16-2010, 07:07 PM

Spot on. This season has been nerf ball. 7 on 7. Two hand touch. Whatever you want to call it.

It has sucked.

Tulsa
11-16-2010, 07:09 PM
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!! I heard he tried to kick the door on the way out but he missed.

I heard he pulled a gun on someone in the Steeler front office, but the bullet went wide to the right.

Steeler4life1972
11-16-2010, 07:12 PM

Dude you are spot on...I couldnt have said it better myself!!!! Ive been saying it for a few weeks but you said it better!!!!:thumbsup:

Steeler4life1972
11-16-2010, 07:13 PM
I heard he pulled a gun on someone in the Steeler front office, but the bullet went wide to the right.

LMFAO thats classic!!!:rofl:

Steelers17
11-16-2010, 07:34 PM
Never, repeat NEVER, call your boss a liar!

Set-Man
11-16-2010, 07:36 PM
LMFAO thats classic!!!:rofl:

Thats because he slipped on the crappy sod grass in the front office parking lot:doh:

finesward
11-16-2010, 08:32 PM
Does skippy reeds story remind anyone of another notorious boozer and chatty accurate place kicker who went from the top to the trash pretty much at the hands of the steelers? vanderjagt, oh boy would you and jeffy poo get along great together... Sure he found a job with dallas after missing that FG to tie on the final drive, but sure enough the wheels had fallen off. And guess who replaced him...you betcha, shaun suisham, one and the same.

I really, honestly do not particularly like this move. Having a kicker named shaun suisham just sounds like a punter named mitch berger. But hey we won a superbowl with that hobbled bum so how bad can suisham be?

lionslicer
11-16-2010, 08:41 PM

Raiders kicker and punter both get over 4 million a year. Too bad the punter who was drafted in the 5th round is one of the best ever while the kicker who was drafted in the first round can't kick dirt. But he can kick it from 70 yards, just hasn't had the accuracy to get it in there.

stb_steeler
11-16-2010, 08:57 PM

Thats not bad concidering he usualy pulls it wide left.....:doh:

TRH
11-16-2010, 11:26 PM
So Reed wanted $4 mil?
2 things immediately went to my mind when he missed that 26-yarder even before it went to commercial.
One....you're gone. Steelers will either cut you now or in the off-season. And two.....i thought "there's go's your big money, dude. Right out the window. Gone."

I'm glad they made the right decision and got some new blood in and i'm glad they made a statement (even if it was just the kicker..). He needed to go. There was just too many things.
The off-the-field issues. The missed field goals. The consistent short kick-offs. The last bizarre statement he made criticizing the fans, blaming turf, etc.
Another thing that i haven't heard too many people talking about. How about his "sorry" on-side kick attempts Sunday night. TWICE. Those had to be 2 of the worst attempts at on-side kick's i've ever seen. I was screaming at the TV each time. He couldn't even get the thing 10 yards. It was pathetic.

ZoneBlitzer
11-17-2010, 12:56 AM
Voice in the wilderness here...but I think they cut the wrong guy.

ricardisimo
11-17-2010, 03:28 AM
Voice in the wilderness here...but I think they cut the wrong guy.
Unless I am mistaken, you think Tomlin should have cut himself and Gay, correct?

ZoneBlitzer
11-17-2010, 03:56 AM
Unless I am mistaken, you think Tomlin should have cut himself and Gay, correct?

Well, ahem, Gay should at least ride the pine. I think the offensive woes have been taken out on Reed. He may just be in a slump.

The bigger issue is that their offense stinks period. That's the problem. They need to make a change at OC.

sharkweek
11-17-2010, 04:09 AM
Reed was kicking under .500 at Heinz and 0-4 at 40-49 yards, there's no way that's acceptable; combine that with his terrible kickoffs, non-effort on coverages, and off-field antics...I can't believe anyone truly has reservations about giving him the boot.

Well, ahem, Gay should at least ride the pine. I think the offensive woes have been taken out on Reed. He may just be in a slump.

The bigger issue is that their offense stinks period. That's the problem. They need to make a change at OC.

with Reed gone as a scapegoat guess who's next :P

Rick5895
11-17-2010, 05:21 AM
Unfortunately we can't change the OC mid season and expect things to get better offensively. I think the Skippy act has just worn thin. Missing as many as he has missed this season is unacceptable. His misses damn near coast us against Atlanta, DID cost us vs Baltimore, and again when he had a chance to ice the game vs Bungles , he missed.
Suisham tends to kick pretty well for new teams , it's the next season or the season after he sgtruggles. Time will tell if this was the right move.

kirklandrules
11-17-2010, 05:38 AM
Never, repeat NEVER, call your boss a liar!

No kidding. Pissing in a parking lot and fighting cops is one step better than calling the guy who signs your paycheck a liar. What a d-bag. I thought the Steelers should have pursued Piotr Czech. Did he sign somewhere else? They had him in on a few camps and if it weren't for Reed kicking well back then, Czech might have had a job here. He has an awesome leg and does not have the baggage.

http://www.northeastconference.org/news/fball/2010/1/12/fb-czechsignssteelers.asp?path=fball

Oh, well, guess the decision has been made.

CargoJon
11-17-2010, 12:04 PM
Wash/Dallas fans call Suisham 'The Choker' for a reason - they both cut him after big misses last year

If he misses a kick in a crucial game this could blow up in Tomlin's face.

Now I know where I remember him from

Suisham made 18 of 21 field goals for the Redskins in 2009, but he was cut after missing a short field goal in overtime of a potential upset over the Saints. Suisham finished the season with the Cowboys, making two of three fields goals in two regular-season games and missing two of three in a playoff loss to the Vikings, including a 48-yard attempt that would have given the Cowboys a lead.

I was at the game in Washington with my wife. She's a huge Saints fan (yes it was awkward around here a couple of weeks ago.)

We left right before Suisham lined up for that kick figuring the game was over and wanting to beat traffic.

We turned on the Sirius radio in the car and my wife looks at me and says "Why does it say the game's tied?" :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Atlanta Dan
11-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Don Banks of SI.com pretty much sums up the end of the Jeff Reed era in his power rankings for this week (in which the Steelers only drop to #4:noidea:)

Now I can always say I was in the stadium for Jeff Reed's final game as the Steelers kicker, because Pittsburgh whacked the surly one after he shanked a 26-yarder against the Patriots, his seventh miss this season. It just goes to prove you can be a jerk as long as you make about 80-85 percent of your kicks. But being a jerk and converting in the 68 percent range is a very bad combination indeed.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/11/17/nfl-power-rankings-week-11-1/index.html?eref=sihp