PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin transcript

mesaSteeler
11-16-2010, 05:44 PM
Tomlin transcript
http://pit.scout.com/2/1022550.html
By SteelCityInsider.net

Posted Nov 16, 2010

Mike Tomlin talked about the team's releasing of kicker Jeff Reed and subsequent signing of Shaun Suisham, as well as the Patriots' romp, and the upcoming Oakland Raiders.

Mike Tomlin, coach, Pittsburgh Steelers

We let Jeff Reed go here today. Jeff has had a distinguished career here. He’s had a lot of individual success and contributed to our success as a team, but at this juncture we thought it was appropriate for us to make a change on our football team at that position. We worked out Shaun Suisham, Bowling Green man, NFL-experienced guy, kicked the last several years in D.C., finished last year with the Cowboys. He worked out today over at the stadium, had a productive workout, had a solid level of comfort with what he’s capable of. His background is attractive to us. Of course, he’s kicked at Bowling Green and is from Canada originally. He’s no stranger to the elements and things that are critical components of kicking for us. So we’ll move forward with that change. Those changes never come easy. It’s a unique situation at times when you make those kinds of changes. Obviously we deemed it necessary at this juncture in terms of moving forward.

Of course coming off Sunday’s performance, it was not a good one. We were beaten soundly by a good football team, similar to how they were beaten by Cleveland a week prior to that. Hopefully we’ll respond the way they did. I know that’s going to be our intention here as we evaluate and make adjustments and prepare for the Oakland Raiders coming in here. Of course, we played them a year ago here at Heinz Field. We get another opportunity at them this week. You’re talking about a team that’s as hot as any team in football. They’re 5-4 and stacked with talent as the Raiders always are. They’re a big and fast outfit, 13-14 former first-rounder on the team.

Offensively, the signal-caller right now is Jason Campbell. He’s produced three straight wins for them. He’s making great decisions. We’re familiar with him. He’s got a great long ball, makes good decisions, a good above-the-neck veteran quarterback. He’s distributing the ball to a variety of people. Louis Murphy, who made some critical plays against us a year ago, is the leader of that receiver group [with Darrius] Heyward-Bey. A young rookie in [Jacoby] Ford from Clemson had a big game the other week. Their tight end [Zach] Miller from Arizona State is as good and complete a tight end as there is in football. This guy’s capable of doing it all, similar to our Miller. He’s good on the line of scrimmage, good at blocking. They move him. He’s a vertical threat. He can create space on short routes. He’s a good football player. He missed the last game. I’m sure they anticipate getting him back coming off a bye week. They have a stable of running backs led by [Darren] McFadden, who’s having as good a year as anyone. He’s running some wildcat football. Of course, he is the original wildcat, going back to his days in Fayetteville, Arkansas in college football. He’s accompanied by [Michael] Bush, a Louisville man, that’s a power runner, a big man. They’ve got a fullback [Marcel] Reese who’s multi-faceted. He’s capable of catching screens and going the distance. He runs some routes out of the backfield, slants and slant-and-gos and so forth. Really got a unique skill-set for a fullback and they utilize his skills very well. They pound you with the run, they throw the ball vertically, they’ve got a myriad of tricks – reverses and flea-flickers and so forth, similar to what they’ve been here in the recent past.

Defensively, boy they’ve really been impressive of late. You start up front when you’re talking about 4-3 defenses and you start with Richard Seymour. This guy’s having an All-Pro caliber year. They move him around and put him over a variety of people. He can play inside; he can play outside. He’s a big, power player who happens to be extremely athletic. He’s accompanied up front by Tommy Kelly, who’s also very disruptive and having a quality year. A young second-rounder, Lamarr Houston out of Texas, is playing end for them. They’re getting a lot of production out of that young man. Their first-rounder, at the linebacker level, [Rolando] McClain out of Alabama, is doing some great things for them. You know their secondary is equipped with big, fast men who can run. [Michael] Huff and [Tyvon] Branch at safety are doing some nice things for them. They’ve got a myriad of sub-package players that allow them to cover just about whatever personnel group you put out there. They made some critical splash plays in special teams. It really broke open the San Diego game for them. They had a kickoff return to start the second half versus Kansas City that got them back in that football game that really set the table for the dramatic victory they had. They’re playing really good football. They went through Seattle relatively easy, and of course Denver is well-documented.

This is the kind of opponent we need, quite frankly, coming off our last performance. We’ve got to get back in the world of the competent and the competing. This is a great opportunity for us, one that I’m sure that our guys will be excited about taking advantage of. When we looked at our tape yesterday we started with being accountable. What we looked at and what we put out there, players and coaches, was below the line, and of course New England took advantage of it like good teams are capable of doing. We’re definitely not going to dwell on it. We’re going to learn from it. We’re going to make our corrections and move forward and get ready for this next opportunity.

Looking at some injury things in preparation for this week, Will Allen is still a question mark. Saturday morning he got up and he still had a headache or two from his concussion the other week. So we didn’t play him. We’re getting further testing there to make sure he’s OK before we proceed. Crezdon Butler had a quad strain in the game. He can be characterized as questionable. Brett Keisel is still working with his hamstring. We’ll see where he is later in the week. Chris Kemoeatu of course has an ankle sprain. We’re going to get him going and hopefully he’s probably going to be available to us. Lawrence Timmons has a hip contusion that may limit him in the early portion of the week. We expect him to come back. Troy [Polamalu] has a right Achilles’ [tendon] strain. We’re probably going to slow him down here in the early portions of the week, just like we did with Heath Miller, with an eye toward practicing in the latter part of the week. We expect him to play. Aaron Smith is a week closer; thought you guys might like that.

Was there a final straw with Jeff Reed?

No, it’s probably just more an accumulation of where we are. Of course, like I said earlier, this guy’s had a great deal of success. It’s not a decision that comes easily. The kicking position is one that bears special consideration. It’s unlike other positions where you can simply bench someone and go to their backup. There’s only one kicker on the football team, so you don’t take these decisions likely. We’re very respectful of the body of work he has here, but at this time we thought it was appropriate that we make a change. Shaun was available; we worked him out; we like his resume; we like how he performed today. He’s been here before. I think he was in camp here in ’05. He’s a veteran guy. He’s no stranger to NFL competition. So we’re extremely comfortable with the change and moving forward.

Did anything Jeff say or anything he did off the field play into your decision?

No, again, we just looked at the cumulative body of work and where we are and how we move forward. We felt like at this time it justified a change.

Did his miss the other day happen because his foot slipped on the field?

I don’t know that.

Is Hines Ward available? And what was the impact of him leaving that game?

I expect Hines to be available for this game. Of course there’s an adjustment process that you go through from an offensive-unit standpoint when you lose a guy like Hines during the course of a football game. We ask him to do a lot of things, a lot of unique things. But the guys who took his place are capable men. They’re capable of doing the job. Injuries are as much a part of this game as blocking and tackling. We embrace the challenges that the game of football presents, including injuries.

Is Shaun the only guy you worked out?

Yes.

Is he a kickoff guy?

And did a nice job of it, yes.

Was Hines Ward ever diagnosed with a concussion? And if he was, did he undergo testing yesterday?

He was diagnosed with a concussion, and he cleared post-concussion tests. Of course, we’ll continue to be cautious as we move forward.

He said he cleared the test on the field and wanted to go back in. Is there a strict rule against that? Or was it the doctor’s recommendation?

I think we’re all pretty familiar with the climate that we’re in right now in the National Football League in regards to concussions. A competitor like Hines, you respect the want-to, of course. He was able to pass a test at the stadium. But if we’re going to err, we’re going to err on the side of caution. Sometimes you’ve got to protect the extreme competitors from themselves, and Hines is that. We love and respect him for that. It’s part of what makes him who he is. But we had to act in his best interest on Sunday night.

Did the drops indicate a lack of focus to you?

No, it indicates that we’re not catching the football. We’ve got to catch them.

Do you anticipate any changes at cornerback?

No, not at all.

What do they have to do to play better?

Our pass defense is a combination of a lot of people, not only corners but safeties and linebackers and rush. A lot of the things that went on in that game, many of them were underneath throws that aren’t directly involving cornerback play. We all accept responsibility for our inability to consistently stop the New England Patriots, coaches, players, everyone, not only the cornerback position.

How did your new linemen on the left play? And will they stay there?

They will. [But] we anticipate having Chris back. I thought those guys did a serviceable job, but of course being a results-oriented guy it wasn’t enough. The same could be said for my performance.

Tom Brady had a lot of time to throw. How do you view that?

There were points in the game where he had a lot of time and there were also points in the game where we were rushing three. The vast majority of the game I thought he was making quick decisions and getting the ball out of his hand on a myriad of short routes and underneath throws where rushes are less of a factor. So I would point to that as the central reason we were able to slow those guys down.

Did the Patriots show anything they hadn’t shown? What was central to your defensive performance?

They’ve got a time-tested body of work. That core group of guys has been together a number of years. To say we saw something we hadn’t seen before would be a stretch. Their personality changes from week to week but it’s still them. They did what they do better than we did what we do. That’s why they were successful.

Is there a correlation between what Brady did and what Drew Brees did in New Orleans?

No, really not. They’re two different schematic systems and really two different guys in what they bring to the table. Drew Brees is a movement guy, play-action pass guy. He changes his launch point, whether it’s rollout or re-setting the pocket behind tackles. His effectiveness is based on his mobility and the way that he moves. Of course, Tom’s strengths are in his decision-making and getting the ball out of his hand.

How could the Patriots get to your QB so often?

We got behind in the football game. When you get behind, you’ve got to take some shots. They probably benefitted from that some. Your personality changes some given game circumstances, and I acknowledge that, but I also acknowledge that they did a nice job rushing the passer.

Do you expect the Raiders to borrow from the Patriots this week?

I’m not going to try to anticipate what it is they’re going to do, in terms of their decision-making and how they match up against us. They are a team that’s coming off of a bye week. I’m sure they’d put together a portion of their plan prior to us even playing New England. I would imagine a team that’s hot and won its last three games is going to continue to do what it’s done, but I’ll also acknowledge that we’ve got some unflattering tape out there that might be a window into how to attack us, maybe, if they’re looking. We’ll see on Sunday I guess.

fer522
11-16-2010, 06:03 PM
he is so full os :poop: its ridiculous :blah::blah:

Steeler4life1972
11-16-2010, 06:16 PM
Im starting to lose some respect for tomlin and to basically come out and say your not gonna change much of what you did last week...he didnt say it as forward as that but to cut through the clutter thats what he said. Cower would have lit a fire under their asses...tomlin needs to do the same! You've got to prepare better and have an answer if the raiders come out and basically do the same thing as the patriots. Im seeing a lack of plan or scheme from us...we cant come out doing the same thing week after week. Bruce Arians is awful at scheming or preparing for each specific team. Whisenhunt was very good at scheming especially with a young quarterback at that point. Bruce Arians will never be able to do that!!

steelerfan5
11-16-2010, 06:28 PM
If we keep doing the same thing, we will continue to have the same results. Get with it, Tomlin! Our corners are awful, and teams will continue to drive down the field and score against us as long as we refuse to make changes. Troy has been a non-factor, and it was stated on Sunday that the coaches put him on a leash. WHY? Keep it up, Tomlin, and Jeff Reed will not be the only one with a pink slip!

Fire Arians
11-16-2010, 06:28 PM
unleash hell

stb_steeler
11-16-2010, 06:32 PM
Do you anticipate any changes at cornerback?

No, not at all.

Well that says it all....no changes anywhere. Like reed is the only problem with the team. THIS JUST IN: Bruce Arians signs for another 10 years

Fire Arians
11-16-2010, 06:36 PM
THIS JUST IN: Bruce Arians signs for another 10 years

if this happens im going to jump off a bridge

Steeler4life1972
11-16-2010, 06:38 PM
We have the raiders here and play buffalo there...imo opinion we should win both these games but....but....but.... if we dont prepare then these 2 very hungry teams will beat us. Raiders and the Bills are much improved and seem to be more hungry than us. This shit went on last year and if we lose to the raiders the same we lost to the patriots and I think a couple need to be gone...no excuse for not coming out prepared for whatever scenario arises!

MattsMe
11-16-2010, 06:39 PM
Maybe he just doesn't want to give anything away for next week? :noidea:

stb_steeler
11-16-2010, 06:45 PM
if this happens im going to jump off a bridge

LoL....u and me both....why cant we make the real changes that need to be done. Getting rid of the damn kicker seems like the wrong direction to start with. I know we dont really know what goes on in the front office but, Tomlins decissions seem to go right up there with poor coaching.

Atlanta Dan
11-16-2010, 07:15 PM
The comment about the strained Achilles tendon for Polamalu certainly was not a burst of sunshine - wonder how long that has been bothering him?

pete74
11-16-2010, 07:27 PM
i have never been a huge Tomlin fan and this speach is a huge reason why. he always says the same crap

Fire Arians
11-16-2010, 07:47 PM
We have the raiders here and play buffalo there...imo opinion we should win both these games but....but....but.... if we dont prepare then these 2 very hungry teams will beat us. Raiders and the Bills are much improved and seem to be more hungry than us. This shit went on last year and if we lose to the raiders the same we lost to the patriots and I think a couple need to be gone...no excuse for not coming out prepared for whatever scenario arises!

we shoulda beat the raiders and chiefs last year too, thats what scares me. ever since tomlin took over i learned to never expect a win in 'easy' games. I've never seen a coach that fell in more trap games than him

tony hipchest
11-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Did the Patriots show anything they hadn’t shown? What was central to your defensive performance?

They’ve got a time-tested body of work. That core group of guys has been together a number of years. To say we saw something we hadn’t seen before would be a stretch. Their personality changes from week to week but it’s still them. They did what they do better than we did what we do. That’s why they were successful.

I’m not going to try to anticipate what it is they’re going to do, in terms of their decision-making and how they match up against us. They are a team that’s coming off of a bye week. I’m sure they’d put together a portion of their plan prior to us even playing New England. I would imagine a team that’s hot and won its last three games is going to continue to do what it’s done, but I’ll also acknowledge that we’ve got some unflattering tape out there that might be a window into how to attack us, maybe, if they’re looking. We’ll see on Sunday I guess.

and herein lies a MAJOR problem (a problem that goes back to the days of cowher) and probably originates with chuck noll and our HOF team in the 70's.

the steelers are sometimes stubbornly obsessed with "imposing their will". they will do what they do and force their opponents to adjust to them.

well, belichick adjusted to them years ago and has beating them ever since.

tomlin is right. the patriots change every week, and devise a gameplan specific to that weeks particular opponents strengths and weaknesses. as we learned from arians, the steelers wouldnt even practice offense against a 4-3 defense.

this is stubborn, boneheaded, and 20 years behind the curve. while it may work 3 out of 4 times, todays teams are much better than that.

of course belichick seems like he knows what we are doing before we do it, because we always do the same thing. we are that predictable. he doesnt need our signals taped to know what we will do with jerome betis in thebackfield or what we will run w/o a true fullback. the steelers dont change it up and he knows that. he can expect the steelers defense to play the same way they did when they last faced brady.

as seen in this tomlin presser, he doesnt even deny it.

too many fans have cried about our loss because of a "lack of emotion" or that a better cb than gay or mcfadden woulda made the difference. bullshit. we lost because of a flawed plan, that had about ZERO chance of even coming close to being executed perfectly.

next time give them something they arent expecting, coaches! :doh: its the only way we got past the colts in 05 and on our way to SBXL.

plenewken
11-16-2010, 08:43 PM
Tomlin is slowly losing all credibility. The guy doesn't look like he has any clue but man, can he talk! I wish he was less literate and much more tactical.
Oh well ........................

Set-Man
11-16-2010, 08:49 PM
Tomlin is slowly losing all credibility. The guy doesn't look like he has any clue but man, can he talk! I wish he was less literate and much more tactical.
Oh well ........................

I really liked him when they hired him. I still think he will be okay but he needs a new experienced offensive coord from out of our system (inject new blood). He is clueless about the offense and so is BA.

His rhetoric, which I found entertaining at first, is becoming a bit annoying. Sometimes he should just answer a question without making it a frickin' riddle.

vindrow
11-16-2010, 09:16 PM
THIS JUST IN: Bruce Arians signs for another 10 years

Don't even joke about this...since Tomlin will talk the FO into doing it:doh:

stb_steeler
11-16-2010, 09:59 PM
Don't even joke about this...since Tomlin will talk the FO into doing it:doh:

LMFAO......it wouldnt surprise me!

TRH
11-17-2010, 12:13 AM
wow. THAT was a pretty unimpressive conference. Couple things i took away from reading that...
not much will change defensively. He almost sounds defiant, like in a state-of-denial that his defensive backfield is horrendous. He acknowledged the short passes underneath, yet made no adjustment for it and not much of an explanation on why they didn't do so.

also, his rhetoric and standard answers seem to be getting old, don't they? Real old. Say something different once in a while, man. His "talk" was interesting the first year, now its gotten very stale. It doesn't look like his press conferences will ever change.

I used to be a big Tomlin supporter and while i haven't jumped off the wagon yet, i'm starting to come up with questions about all of this. I'm just not sure he's the right guy for this team. But he's who we have. He's not going anywhere for a long time.This "stubborness" thing is starting to piss me off.

Wallace108
11-17-2010, 01:01 AM
I've backed off my Arians hate a little bit lately and have shifted it somewhat to Tomlin. I mentioned elsewhere that Tomlin might just be like Barry Switzer (or even George Seifert) ... not a great coach, but an adequate coach who had the good fortune of taking over a solid team and quickly winning a Super Bowl.

In the case of Switzer and Seifert, their success was directly related to what had been put in place for them. Switzer went away and Seifert never again achieved the same level of success. Does Tomlin fall into this category? Only time will tell. But based on what I've seen the past two seasons, I'm leaning toward yes. :banging:

tony hipchest
11-17-2010, 01:48 AM
its one game vs the patriots and cowher allowed the same thing to happen in '06 that tomlin did in '09.

Wallace108
11-17-2010, 01:54 AM
its one game vs the patriots and cowher allowed the same thing to happen in '06 that tomlin did in '09.

I hope you're right, but ...

Cowher mailed it in during the '06 season. He should have left after the Super Bowl.

If it was just one game against the Patriots, I wouldn't have a single concern. But there have been ongoing problems during the entire second half of last season and the first half of this season. Tomlin and his staff just don't seem to know how to prepare for a game or make adjustments during a game.

Fire Haley
11-17-2010, 12:26 PM
We don't need no stinking gameplan - - "we do what we do".

Sounds just plain stubborn - that's what I hear

like that old Cowher mentality - "we're just gonna line up and beat you - you know what's coming - try and stop us"

pete74
11-17-2010, 05:53 PM
i dont blame anyone for the loss. it was a bad game and everyone has them from time to time. hopefully we learn and get better because of it. i knew we wernt going to stay strong all year so i would rather play a few mediocre games now then come on strong at the end and get another ring.

as for tomlin, i personally dont like him that much. i think he is a decent coach but i wish he played with more passion. i know there is only 1 Cower but i love the get in your face kind of coach