PDA

View Full Version : Chalk it up to 1 bad game

steelerchad
11-17-2010, 04:01 PM
The Pats came in and took the game to us and we came out completely flat. 6-3 with a big game against the Raiders at home and a very winnable road game against Buffalo, I'll take. I think we're all worried that Sunday night's performance could turn into the big slide of 09. If we lose against the Raiders that could be the case. I think we get a solid bounce back win and our D returns to form haunting Jason Campbell all day.

Steelers 8-3 going into Baltimore.

lionslicer
11-17-2010, 04:05 PM
Steelers are lucky to have the Raiders at home, its a well known fact when west coast teams come to the east coast and play 1'oclock games they lost alot. The exact statistic is that they lose 87% of the time, atleast that's the last time I heard about it on NFL network, but since then (2-3 years ago) west coast teams have started playing earlier so when they come out east they don't have any jet lag, but it really hasn't helped.

Buffalo hasn't been in a 1 sided game all season, plus they are pass happy, I wouldn't say that's very winnable, Steelers will have to put their best out on the field the rest of the season.
But I'd say they need to worry about these 2 games before thinking about Baltimore.

steeltheone
I agree the season is far from over. We can still make a run. I really worry about the next 3 or 4 years though.

Steel_Bus_24
quite simply IMO, we lose against the raiders, then I don't think we make the playoffs

Riddle_Of_Steel
11-17-2010, 04:09 PM
I agree the season is far from over. We can still make a run. I really worry about the next 3 or 4 years though.

Yeah, I definitely agree with ya on that one-- I definitely see a brief rebuilding period coming up in the next few seasons. The Steelers changed their MO of late, signing first Polamalu to a $32 million contract (made him the highest paid safety at the time), then Big Ben got his $100 million, then SIlverback got his $57 million.

The Steelers used to let high-priced players walk, but have hedged their future a little bit in return for some immediate success.

Folks want to blame everything on Tomlin, but we have to keep in mind, not only are the Steelers under a relatively new head coach-- they are also under new management, since Art Rooney has only taken control of the team once his pops was made ambassador to Ireland.

There will be a learning curve for both....

Whodis
11-17-2010, 05:02 PM
1 Bad game? I think you left out the fact the titans came back and were a deflected pass away from winning. McCoy looked like a seasoned vet, the offensive play calling in the Saints game was embarrassing and the jury is still out in Miami.

I want to see adjustments. Waiting every Sunday to see the Defense to come out on fire and a fullback to give Mendy running room!

Set-Man
11-17-2010, 07:59 PM
1 Bad game? I think you left out the fact the titans came back and were a deflected pass away from winning. McCoy looked like a seasoned vet, the offensive play calling in the Saints game was embarrassing and the jury is still out in Miami.

I want to see adjustments. Waiting every Sunday to see the Defense to come out on fire and a fullback to give Mendy running room!

I agree. I actually think Ben coming back has made the defense relax too much. Where is that D that showed up the first 4 games. I guess we really do miss Aaron Smith, Keisel but the D has to be able to cope.

There have been no halftime adjustments that have made a difference on the defensive side.

fer522
11-17-2010, 08:23 PM
they have to let Troy play his game
there's no spark on defense
and the offense is basically dead
first 4 games we won because of all the turnovers
the defense was creating and our QBs did not lose us those games
things have to change like our running back do they have any faith in mandy
i know this is a 2 back league but c'mon hes touched the ball like 15 times last game i dont think they use him enough and the passing game sucks!!! i dont know i guess im still pissed

SH-Rock
11-17-2010, 08:27 PM
The reason Lebau is not having Troy play like Troy because of the problems with Secondary. I know you guys want Troy to do what he does best, but I think Lebau is doing the right thing by having Troy play like a normal safety and not let big yardage on one play. On the other hand I think he should blitz more and force QBs to make the wrong decision

Whodis
11-17-2010, 08:53 PM
The reason Lebau is not having Troy play like Troy because of the problems with Secondary. I know you guys want Troy to do what he does best, but I think Lebau is doing the right thing by having Troy play like a normal safety and not let big yardage on one play. On the other hand I think he should blitz more and force QBs to make the wrong decision

how has that been working for us?

SH-Rock
11-17-2010, 09:42 PM
how has that been working for us?

I meant as in like 20+ yards. We haven't given up those, but we are giving up the small ones. He should though have Harrison/Woodley/Timmons/Farrior rush and unleash the beasts inside of them. The reason the Giants are racking up so many sack is because the Secondary has good coverage and they are inspired.

Rotorhead
11-18-2010, 09:50 AM
After rewatching the game, it dawned on me that Troy is playing the traditional safety role when we are in the nickel or prevent . . . I honestly think he is trying covering for our poor secondary (Gay) instead of disrupting plays like we are used to. After losing Timmons, he needed to play back and made several poor anticipations. As far as Gay, that jackass needs to stop looking in the backfield for the run and just cover his man. I would rather let a RB get 10 extra yards then Gay get burned for a TD. 2 of the three TD's on him were completely his fault looking for the run first. The other was just a great pass by Brady.

wootawnee
11-18-2010, 01:22 PM
The Raiders are Gnarley this year.......They are comin offr their first 3 game win streak since 02 superbowl season with Gruden.........

They got one of the best rookies in the league with Jacoby Ford.....This guy is very strong and physical........And has world class 100 m speed.............

They run the ball better than just about anybody these days with a bruising style.......

Their pass rush is picking up too with Richard Seymour and co bonding this year.......

This is the exact same kind of team the Steelers are.....Smash mouth running......Deep passing.......And qb Sacking..........

I live out here in Raider Nation and they are a real joy to watch.....Like wacthin the Steelers.........

It could be a tough game for the men in Black and Gold........

It could be a tough game for the men in Silver and Black.......

Just saying.......Do not tread lighly on this team......To me, they could over power just about anyone in this league.........

finesward
11-18-2010, 05:07 PM
wouldn't be surprised to see an appearance by gradkowski, seeing as he roasted us last year

Whodis
11-19-2010, 06:32 AM
I meant as in like 20+ yards. We haven't given up those, but we are giving up the small ones. He should though have Harrison/Woodley/Timmons/Farrior rush and unleash the beasts inside of them. The reason the Giants are racking up so many sack is because the Secondary has good coverage and they are inspired.

Rock- meant as in 6+8+5+11+9+4+8+7 these are the type of yards teams are getting because of this soft coverage with no pass rush. If your going to run this stuff you might as well give up the big ones and rest the defense.

steelerchad
11-19-2010, 08:02 AM
Rock- meant as in 6+8+5+11+9+4+8+7 these are the type of yards teams are getting because of this soft coverage with no pass rush. If your going to run this stuff you might as well give up the big ones and rest the defense.

This is completely wrong. Look, the Steelers have been making a living off of giving up the short stuff and it works well. It is not 100% though. When you run into a QB that is very good as Brady is, he can take his team down the field. No other QB's have really been able to do this, even Brees. Yes, he finally got 2 TD's in the 4th quarter. The last one set up by Heath's fumble.
Of our remaining schedule we don't play Manning or Rivers and we've already played Brady and Brees. Those are probably your 4 best QB's this year. In fact, we probably don't play a top 10 QB the rest of the way. So let's wait and see what happens. I think the bend don't break system works well overall. Make a team go 10+ plays without making a mistake. No INT, No Fumble, No holding penalty, No Sack, No dropped passes. Most teams can't do it consistently.

Now, when we get into the playoffs different story. If we play a top notch offense, we will need to get the pressure as a very good offense has proven they can pick us apart. Until then, I'm happy with the D overall. Like I said, 1 bad game and there was a lot of things to learn from in that game.

Remember 05. Manning made us look silly in November on Monday night Football. We brought the house in the playoffs and it was a totally different story.

ZoneBlitzer
11-20-2010, 12:40 PM
The Raiders are Gnarley this year.......They are comin offr their first 3 game win streak since 02 superbowl season with Gruden.........

They got one of the best rookies in the league with Jacoby Ford.....This guy is very strong and physical........And has world class 100 m speed.............

They run the ball better than just about anybody these days with a bruising style.......

Their pass rush is picking up too with Richard Seymour and co bonding this year.......

This is the exact same kind of team the Steelers are.....Smash mouth running......Deep passing.......And qb Sacking..........

I live out here in Raider Nation and they are a real joy to watch.....Like wacthin the Steelers.........

It could be a tough game for the men in Black and Gold........

It could be a tough game for the men in Silver and Black.......

Just saying.......Do not tread lighly on this team......To me, they could over power just about anyone in this league.........

I've been really impressed with Jacoby Ford. If I find out that the Steelers passed on this guy, I'm going to puke.

TRH
11-20-2010, 12:55 PM
well, other teams can beat Brady and Manning. They don't look like "joe montana's" every game...
Just because we don't face any "brady's or manning's" the rest of the year doesn't mean we shouldn't be stopping them when we face them. If we can't and others can...then maybe we're not the best team (i think we already know that though.....)

steelerchad
11-21-2010, 11:59 PM
All is well again in the world.
This team came out today exactly the way they needed to.
It is apparent this is not the 09 team.
This team had a chip on it's shoulder and punished the Raiders today.
They would not be denied by the Raiders or Refs.