PDA

View Full Version : It's Official: Goodell hates the Steelers

Hayeksheroes
11-17-2010, 07:12 PM
There is no other explanation for Goodell not punishing Patrick Chung. His helmet to helmet hit caused Ward's concussion. That should be grounds enough for a fine. Ward is an NFL star. Goodell has yet to impose a fine. What a double standard?

Patrick Chung was fine for his hit on Chad Henne. Chung's hit did not cause a concussion.

I think Goodell is jealous of the Rooneys. The Rooneys have more clout in the NFL than Goodell. I hope the Players Union can reign in this tyrant before he ruins the NFL and Harrison and Troy are forced to wear skirts.

Need4spd
11-17-2010, 07:15 PM
Sorry, but there is no way Chung should be punished in any way, shape, or form for that hit whether the result was a concussion or not. Just because some of the other punishments he has imposed on players around the league, James Harrison included, may have seemed a little over the top doesn't automatically mean that Chung deserves a fine here.

tony hipchest
11-17-2010, 07:22 PM
goodell is still hypocritical in his levying of the fines and ambiguous w/ his explanations.

stb_steeler
11-17-2010, 08:06 PM
:iagree: Goodell still answers to his mother!

MikeHaullace
11-17-2010, 08:17 PM
F^%k Roger Goodell.

lionslicer
11-17-2010, 08:18 PM
Everyone else in the league says he loves the Steelers...

I think he hates any smashmouth defensive team.

stb_steeler
11-17-2010, 08:21 PM
Goodell can kiss my !@#$

Set-Man
11-17-2010, 08:46 PM
Goodell receives no respect because he has no consistency. Week after week he picks certain players to fine while others go free. They really need a panel consisting of retired refs, players, and coaches to do the fining.

WeegiesWarriors
11-17-2010, 09:53 PM
Sorry, but there is no way Chung should be punished in any way, shape, or form for that hit whether the result was a concussion or not. Just because some of the other punishments he has imposed on players around the league, James Harrison included, may have seemed a little over the top doesn't automatically mean that Chung deserves a fine here.

Actually it does. They called it incomplete through replay review which means Ward was a defenseless receiver at the time of the hit. Had they called it a fumble then that would mean that he would have made the catch, turned up field, and became a ball carrier and helmet to helmet is no longer a penalty or fine-able offense.

The NFL dropped it here. They ruled on the field that it was incomplete. A 15 yard penalty should have been thrown number 1. Number 2 a fine should be given to the defender. He hit helmet to helmet what was determined to be a defenseless receiver. He clearly led with the helmet

I'm far from a conspiracy theorist, but even I'm wondering what the deal is with Goodell and the Steelers. Something isn't right here.

Whodis
11-17-2010, 09:55 PM
We should stop threads like this.

we sound like Browns fans. These fines need to stop. It's killin the game

MattsMe
11-17-2010, 10:04 PM
Actually it does. They called it incomplete through replay review which means Ward was a defenseless receiver at the time of the hit. Had they called it a fumble then that would mean that he would have made the catch, turned up field, and became a ball carrier and helmet to helmet is no longer a penalty or fine-able offense.

The NFL dropped it here. They ruled on the field that it was incomplete. A 15 yard penalty should have been thrown number 1. Number 2 a fine should be given to the defender. He hit helmet to helmet what was determined to be a defenseless receiver. He clearly led with the helmet

Pretty hard to argue when it's put like that. Well said.

fer522
11-17-2010, 10:19 PM
that hit pissed me of but what really pissed me off was the fact that he could not go back in the game when you could clearly see that he was ready to go in but because of another stupid nfl rule he was not allowed back in the game
i fu****g hate Goodell:banging:

TRH
11-17-2010, 11:21 PM

You're right. Chung shouldn't be fined. But neither should Harrison have been fined.
So in other words, let me get this straight :
You can punish/fine one player for a helmet to helmet (accident, on-purpose, momentum, whatever the reason), but you're not going to fine another one? You're going to "pick-and-choose" who you fine and who you don't??
Thats some absolute BS and the main reason i hate this new "rule". They're not being fair and consistent with the punishments.

Need4spd
11-18-2010, 08:09 AM
You're right. Chung shouldn't be fined. But neither should Harrison have been fined.
So in other words, let me get this straight :
You can punish/fine one player for a helmet to helmet (accident, on-purpose, momentum, whatever the reason), but you're not going to fine another one? You're going to "pick-and-choose" who you fine and who you don't??
Thats some absolute BS and the main reason i hate this new "rule". They're not being fair and consistent with the punishments.

That was basically my point. I guess two wrongs don't make a right, that's all I'm saying. Whether or not Goodell is being consistent with the punishments he is handing out is certainly a fair argument. It is such a fine line it's not even funny, and many of these hits are very subjective. This is exactly why I agree with what Polamalu suggested a few weeks ago. There should definitely be an independent panel of "judges" if you will, who rule of these kinds of issues.

plenewken
11-18-2010, 08:54 AM

I'm far from a conspiracy theorist, but even I'm wondering what the deal is with Goodell and the Steelers. Something isn't right here.

Ward wasn't defenseless when he let the ball slip off his hands. He didn't maintain possession when going down and I don't think the <light> helmet to helmet contact had anything to do with it.
This being said, there are lot of inconsistencies in the way fines are levied. Like you said, something's not right here.

DoubleYoi
11-18-2010, 09:54 AM
The sad reality of the situation is that we're reduced to arguing what is or isn't a fine-able offense which has taken away from the game considerably. Goodell and his cronies are levying these penalties, fines and suspensions basically as a CYA to prevent the NFL from getting sued into bankruptcy in the future, IMO. No way he can say he's doing it to protect the players but then propose an 18-game season in the next breath.

As for saying Goodell hates the Steelers.....that kind of talk is strictly reserved for Ravens fans. They have a copyright on "the refs, Goodell and the NFL hates us" talk.

TRH
11-18-2010, 12:35 PM
you have to wonder how much these new rules are affecting the Steelers on D. Although Harrison is seemingly playing very well, you can see he's about 1/2 step behind where he should be.....like he's ever-so-slightly hesitant (i don't blame him one bit either....)
This past Monday night game where the Eagles scored 59 is EXACTLY the football Goodell wants.
Wow...thats a fabulous idea. Even though no one gives two flying F's about baseball anymore, lets try to model our league after crappy baseball.

DoubleYoi
11-18-2010, 01:25 PM
you have to wonder how much these new rules are affecting the Steelers on D. Although Harrison is seemingly playing very well, you can see he's about 1/2 step behind where he should be.....like he's ever-so-slightly hesitant (i don't blame him one bit either....)
This past Monday night game where the Eagles scored 59 is EXACTLY the football Goodell wants.
Wow...thats a fabulous idea. Even though no one gives two flying F's about baseball anymore, lets try to model our league after crappy baseball.

Not one bit. At the start of the season, the Steelers had an average to below-average secondary. Their Run-D was the bread and butter and now that it took a huge hit with A. Smith and Kiesel going down, teams are exploiting the secondary even more. We're not losing games because of missed tackles caused by hesitant defenders. Had there been multiple cases of guys breaking huge runs after initial contact, you may have a point. That just hasn't been the case though.