PDA

View Full Version : Do we need to trade up to get LenDale White?

Rush58
03-27-2006, 04:40 PM
I'm not sold on Parker and Deuce is way too injury-prone to count on. Haynes is a nice 3rd down HB, but he is not an every down back IMO. I say the Steelers should re-evaluate the rb position before looking at safety and elsewhere.

83-Steelers-43
03-27-2006, 04:47 PM
I'm not sold on Parker and Deuce is way too injury-prone to count on. Haynes is a nice 3rd down HB, but he is not an every down back IMO. I say the Steelers really need to re-evaluate the rb position before looking at safety and elsewhere.

We can go with Parker, Duce and Haynes (we probably will) and then end up drafting an HB in the draft. Will it be Lendale White? I strongly doubt it. I'm not sure it's worth trading up in order to get him since we already have our main HB core. I still feel we will draft a WR in the first round to take the sting away from losing ARE. It will be interesting to see how things pan out.

Midnightwriter1
03-27-2006, 04:55 PM
with the signing of Morgan, that may mean we are psssing on the WR postion as well because they are very high on Washington

SteelerDad
03-27-2006, 05:01 PM
You can grab a pretty good wide receiver in the later rounds this year. Guys like Derek Hagen are probably going to fall down to 3rd and 4th rounds.

Midnightwriter1
03-27-2006, 05:03 PM
Nance will be available as well i think in the 3rd round due to his poor performance in combine and pro day.

Rush58
03-27-2006, 05:06 PM
with the signing of Morgan, that may mean we are psssing on the WR postion as well because they are very high on Washington

not to mention, a receiver needs a couple of years to develop. We will probably draft a receiver in the later rounds for special teams. However, I just hope we don't overlook the rb position and have Deuce in street clothes, Parker still trying to get outside, and we become a more finesse team and lose our identity.

OX1947
03-27-2006, 05:55 PM
Steelers got 2 4ths and a 5th in comp picks. That gives us 3 picks in the 4th and 2 in the 5th. The ultimate would be to trade our normal 4,5,6,7 picks to get another high pick in the second and maybe go up in the third. The ultimate draft as I see it right now for us if that were to happen is to get Carpenter, Whitner witht he first two picks and then get nance and Drew from UCLA with the next two picks. That takes care of depth AND the future in just 4 picks.....

SteelerDad
03-27-2006, 06:25 PM
I'd like to see someone like Greg Blue in the later rounds if he's still around.

clevestinks
03-27-2006, 06:39 PM
Running backs will be available later. How oten do we draft a first round running back anyway, the last one was probably Worley, and he was a bust. With our line, and commitment to the run, we could be like Denver, whoever you throw in works. I think someone will cut a back eventually, and we will pick him up

Midnightwriter1
03-27-2006, 06:47 PM
will be strange not having Bettis on the team after all these years

Rush58
03-27-2006, 10:56 PM
Running backs will be available later. How oten do we draft a first round running back anyway, the last one was probably Worley, and he was a bust. With our line, and commitment to the run, we could be like Denver, whoever you throw in works. I think someone will cut a back eventually, and we will pick him up

See, that's the thing. I see us being productive, stats-wise when it comes to the running game, but not able to pound the clock out without the Bus. That's why LenDale would be so valuable to us. We need a hammer once we get the lead. And right now, I just don't see that rb on our roster.

Dook
03-28-2006, 01:27 AM
Duce can do it when he's healthy. He was banging away, getting more yards than Bettis before he got his boo boo.

I wish there was a way that we could move up to get RB Lendale White but I just don't see it.

Maybe one of the big backs later in the draft will pan out: RB Wali Lundy, RB Gerald Riggs, or RB Cedric Hume.

With all of our draft picks we can get two of them.

Midnightwriter1
03-28-2006, 07:32 AM
With only 3 RB's curretnly in place.... we will get a mudder for sure. Ownership os the same, philosophy is the same, coaches are the same ... is just time to get a new mudder and i am sure somewhere in the draft we will do just that. Where it will be who knows, but i am pretty sure they will get someone who is able to run out that clock and get those tough yards. 1) staley's health 2 ) Parker cant do it 3 ) haynes hasnt shown he can do it and they havn't put him in that spot for a reason

SO the only questionwill be which mudder they will get, i am sure they alreayd have their eye on the guy in the draft.

DIESELMAN
03-28-2006, 09:32 AM
Joe Bendel, of the Tribune-Review, reports Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Bill Cowher said the Steelers would not rule out going after a running back in the NFL Draft, despite the fact RBs Willie Parker, Duce Staley and Verron Haynes are returning.I really doubt we'll reach for White but if hes there who knows....Cowher and co. have always had an eye for the unknowns so it wouldn't surprise me if they get a RB who is not that well known and he will be a good compliment to the rest of the backfield.....

Livinginthe past
03-28-2006, 01:58 PM
Alot of Steeler fans seem to think that Duce Staley is far from certain to complete the season healthy.

If you factor that in with a RB who, while having alot of breakaway talent, isn't the every down back the Steelers need - you have to think the Steelers will definitely be looking for a load carrying RB in the first 3 rounds.

A combination of the 3 backs (Haynes, Parker and Staley) would give you a very good RB - but if Staley gets injured and Parker is unable to get consistent yardage on 1st and 2nd down we could see Ben throwing alot more than he wants.

I know all about this scenario - its pretty much what happened to the Pats last year.

NM

clevestinks
03-28-2006, 04:17 PM
Everyone is saying, IF, Duce stays healthy. My only thing about White is I dont think we need a first rounder to be our big back. White would be great, but we will make a good back great.

Midnightwriter1
03-28-2006, 07:04 PM
lol of coursein case Duce gets hurt again or else this wouldnt even be an issue. But soething we have to address since only 3 backs and i seriously doubt Parker is going to be able to carry that much of a load. haynes is ok, but not sure want him in there all the time. We will be getting someone though may be late in 3rd

DIESELMAN
03-30-2006, 09:57 AM
I've heard in a few places about the character of White....Heres one by Jim Wexell for Fox Sports Radio 970
Verron Haynes fills a hole on the depth chart and saves the Steelers from further investigation into the character of USC tailback LenDale White.

White’s running style fits the Steelers, who’d like a big back to complement Willie Parker. White is a 240-pounder who runs between the tackles and has enough pop to go the distance – kind of like a young Jerome Bettis. A better comparison would be Natrone Means.

But White’s lifestyle doesn’t fit the Steelers. It’s the character questions that are causing scouts problems. He’s one of the party guys from America’s favorite party team. White once faked a suicide leap off a building to throw a charge into his teammates.

SteelerFan1
03-30-2006, 12:30 PM
Wow...didn't know that! I wonder if faking my own suicide would throw a charge into my workmates??

Copy more papers damn it!

That's it! I'm jumping!!

drizze99
03-30-2006, 01:23 PM
If I'm the FO, I don't reach for White. I was high on him after the bowl game, but the more I read about him, the less I like.

I would really like the Steelers to draft Cedric Humes & Martin Nance. I don't care what rounds they come in. Maybe use both picks in the 3rd round to get them?

Atlanta Dan
04-03-2006, 09:19 PM
If you believe this article, LenDale White may be available with the #32 pick.

At the annual USC Pro Day for NFL scouts this past weekend:

White weighed in at 244 pounds, up six pounds from the doughy 238 pounds he displayed at the NFL scouting combine in February. White also did his best not to display much by wearing a loose-fitting warm-up suit for the entire workout. This was after White drew audible groans from NFL scouts when he bared his chest at the combine.

As one NFL general manager said after seeing White at the combine: ?The guy needed a bra, it was ridiculous. You come to the combine looking like that and you want to be a first-round pick? Come on. The guy had obviously been doing nothing.?

On Sunday, White benched 225 pounds all of 15 times. That?s one more than USC punter Tom Malone and nine less than Bush, who White happens to outweigh by 42 pounds. After doing the bench, White called it a day. He didn?t run the 40-yard dash or do any of the other myriad of drills that so many scouts and coaches were looking forward to.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12126007/

This act is going to cost White millions - with this attitude, the scary part for any team is if White will completely dog it once he gets any kind of signing bonus.

Although the Steelers had some pretty fair success with a RB who fought weight problems, I doubt this is a selling point in White's favor.

tony hipchest
04-03-2006, 09:27 PM
If you believe this article, LenDale White may be available with the #32 pick.

At the annual USC Pro Day for NFL scouts this past weekend:

White weighed in at 244 pounds, up six pounds from the doughy 238 pounds he displayed at the NFL scouting combine in February. White also did his best not to display much by wearing a loose-fitting warm-up suit for the entire workout. This was after White drew audible groans from NFL scouts when he bared his chest at the combine.

As one NFL general manager said after seeing White at the combine: “The guy needed a bra, it was ridiculous. You come to the combine looking like that and you want to be a first-round pick? Come on. The guy had obviously been doing nothing.”

On Sunday, White benched 225 pounds all of 15 times. That’s one more than USC punter Tom Malone and nine less than Bush, who White happens to outweigh by 42 pounds. After doing the bench, White called it a day. He didn’t run the 40-yard dash or do any of the other myriad of drills that so many scouts and coaches were looking forward to.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12126007/

This act is going to cost White millions - with this attitude, the scary part for any team is if White will completely dog it once he gets any kind of signing bonus.

Although the Steelers had some pretty fair success with a RB who fought weight problems, I doubt this is a selling point in White's favor. i thought of bumping this thread in light of his recent poor pro day. he would have to slip by denver and carolina and he could very well be there. it posing a really interresting delimma. i almost think he would be to good to pass up.

good perspective of him maybe dogging it though. maybe we can trade up to get him in the 2nd round!

OX1947
04-03-2006, 10:07 PM
Man, who ever wrote this is a Steeler fan. I can feel it. This is perfect, I was hoping this was going to happen. This is the same crap they were saying about Larry Johnson. Aside from the weight issue, everything from not caring to dedication was said about LJ. If he is there at 32, I have no doubt in my mind Pitt will get him.

SteelersNationsfl
04-26-2006, 06:54 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/white_lendale

I wouldn't mind picking him up on draft day.

SUMMARYWhite is a junior who came out early for the NFL Draft and is finally getting the publicity he did not get at USC because he shared the backfield with Reggie Bush. He is a big, physical running back who has all the physical tools to be a strong inside runner who consistently breaks tackles and gains yards after contact. However, he will need to do a much better job of picking up his feet when he runs in traffic to avoid being tripped up by low/grab tackles so often. He has good vision and instincts running with the ball and they combine with his quick feet so that he can make sharp cuts and get through the hole quickly. He has the ability to run aggressively, lower his shoulder and deliver a hard blow to tackler -- he can knock the tackler off his feet surprisingly well. Overall, White may not have the athleticism and the big play ability of Reggie Bush, but he is going to be a good starting running back in the NFL who will be able to handle 25-plus carries a game and will consistently gain yards after contact. While he might have the talent to start in any type of offense, White is best suited to play for a team that relies on a power running game that does a lot of inside running.
CRITICAL FACTORSSizeAthletic AbilityHandsCompetesPlay SpeedBlocking7.56.05.06.56.06.0

STRONG POINTSHe is a surprisingly good athlete for such a big back, which allows him to make sharp cuts to get through the backside hole very well. He has the quick feet and agility to avoid tacklers in the backfield and can accelerate to full speed quickly. While he lacks explosiveness, he does get through the hole fast and has the play speed to make big plays once he gets to full speed. He runs very strong and aggressive, which helps him to consistently break tackles and gain yards after contact. He does a very good job of reading the defense to adjust to different blitzes, gets into good position and stands up blitzers in their tracks consistently -- very good strength as pass blocker.

WEAKNESSESWhite lacks the explosiveness to shoot through the hole to get behind the defense in a flash and does not have the premier playing speed to run away from the defense on long runs and will get caught from behind in the NFL. He is not an elusive runner and will not be able to make tacklers miss in the NFL. He lacks the burst to get the corner on his own and cannot bounce runs outside when the middle is clogged up. He is an adequate receiver out of the backfield -- limited catches at USC and did not look natural on the few chances he had.

POSITIONAL FACTORSGradeCategoryComments/Description6.0Run InstinctsHe has good natural vision and run instincts that help him to consistently find the right hole.5.0ElusivenessWhile he has a little bit of a wiggle to avoid tacklers, he is not a really elusive make-you-miss runner.6.0Cutback AbiltyHis vision, instincts and quick feet help him to consistently find and get through the cutback hole.6.5Inside RunnerHas excellent strength running inside and gains yards after contact, but needs to pick up his feet better.5.5Outside RunnerLacks explosive burst to get the corner on his own, but has strength to break tackles consistently on outside.5.0Hands - ReceivingHe caught very few passes in the games that were graded and did not look very natural on the few he did catch.5.0Adjust to BallIn the games he was graded, he didn't get the chances and is not a natural receiver.6.0Runs After CatchLimited experience catching passes, but once he gets the ball out in space he is a strong and dangerous runner.5.0Run BlockerVery limited experience, but has the flexibility, strength and athleticism to be good lead blocker.6.5Pass BlockerHe does a very good job of reading and adjusting to blitz and blocks strong at the point of attack consistently.6.5Durability/ToughnessWhile there is some question about his durability, he is no doubt tough enough to become durable.6.5Fumbles/ErrorWhite is not a fumbler and does not make any errors of note.
ATHLETIC ABILITYSection Grade: 6.0White is a good athlete and often seems even more athletic because of how well he moves for such a big back. He has deceptively quick feet to get through the hole quickly and accelerating to full speed fast -- he isn't explosive through holes, but is definitely quick enough. His agility combines with quick feet to change directions pretty well. He can stop and start quickly to avoid tacklers in the backfield. His balance, agility and body control help him to consistently keep his feet vs. hard hits and to run through low arm/grab tackles when he runs aggressively. He gets tripped up by these low tackles when he does not run aggressively and pick feet up well. White has good natural flexibility, but tends to be an upright runner most of the time before contact -- he can bend his knees and lower his shoulder to deliver a hard initial blow to the tackler and has the strength to knock him backward. While he is a good athlete who can avoid tacklers in the backfield, he is a big running back and lacks the elusiveness and burst in other direction to consistently make tacklers miss out in space.
Q.A.B.Quick FeetC.O.D.FlexibilityCoordination6.06.06.06.06.0
COMPETITIVENESSSection Grade: 6.5White is a tough, hard-nosed running back who consistently has played through injuries and always seems willing to deliver a hard, punishing blow to the tackler. Although he has not consistently gotten all the touches in key situations, when he has been given the opportunity he consistently stepped up and picked up the important yards when they mattered most. His overall production was consistently very good when he played aggressively, but when he stays upright running in traffic and does not pick up feet while running in traffic he will struggle to ever play up to his raw talent consistently.
ToughnessClutch PlayProductionConsistencyTeam PlayerPride/Quit6.56.56.06.56.56.5
MENTAL ALERTNESSSection Grade: 6.0White is generally a smart young man who learns well and it shows in his consistently good pass blocking technique and his smart patience following blockers very well. But he has not learned to pick up his feet consistently when he runs through traffic and it leads to him getting tripped up too easily by low/grab tackles. He has very good instincts and can react quickly to what he sees to burst through the hole. His instincts also show in his consistently good adjustment to different blitzes. His ability to maintain his concentration helps him to consistently run strong between the tackles, keep his feet vs. hard hits and to break tackles and gain yards after contact.
Learn/RetainInstincts/ReactionsConcentration6.06.06.0STRENGTH/EXPLOSIONSection Grade: 6.5He has excellent size for a running back -- although he played at approximately 240 pounds in 2005 and is much better suited to play at 225. It is definitely a concern that he has split carries throughout his career with Reggie Bush, so he has not proven that he can be a durable starter over an entire season. But with his natural size, strength and toughness, he will be a very durable player in the NFL. While he is a good athelte with a quick burst through the hole for a big back, he lacks explosiveness through the hole. When he bends his knees, lowers his shoulder and runs aggressively, he can deliver an explosive blow to any tackler and can knock him backward. He has the outstanding play strength to be a consistently strong and powerful runner -- he can break tackles and stiff arms tacklers very well to consistently gain a lot of yards after contact.
Body TypeDurabilityExplosionPlay Strength7.56.55.57.0

Suitanim
04-26-2006, 08:19 PM
I can't see him slipping past Carolina, but maybe they take Maroney? Either way, Carolina learned the hard way what happens if you don't have enough depth at RB in the NFCCG last year...I think they take a RB and take one early.

clevestinks
04-26-2006, 08:21 PM
I still say we don`t trade up for him,and I don`t see the STeelers trading for him anyway, especially with all the doubts about him being thrown around. Maybe if he were healthy and not lazy

Palmers Knee
04-26-2006, 10:38 PM
I think if he's there, the Steelers will take him, but I doubt they'll trade up to get him. The Steelers didn't get to where they are by giving picks away. However, I'm not sure he'll be there. He's pretty tempting to anyone in the 20's, regardless of the combine crap. He produces. The team I don't think will take him is Carolina though. They have a big back in Shelton, he was hurt last year, and Foster is their go to guy.

By the way, I'm banned from the Bengals messageboard for some reason, so get used to me hanging around. Hopefully I can exist, and carry on serious conversations without getting bashed because I root for the Bengals. I'm not here to rip the Steelers, maybe just a few overzealous fans.

tony hipchest
04-26-2006, 11:01 PM
The Steelers didn't get to where they are by giving picks away. .

By the way, I'm banned from the Bengals messageboard for some reason, so get used to me hanging around. Hopefully I can exist, and carry on serious conversations without getting bashed because I root for the Bengals. I'm not here to rip the Steelers, maybe just a few overzealous fans.
the steelers did trade up to get k. bell. t. polamalu, and r. colclough. if carolina drafts white, i bet foster quickly becomes #2.

dont worry about it. youre here to talk football then you will fit in just fine. minus the stripes of course. even steelerfans cant always agree on everything. welcome to the board.

Palmers Knee
04-26-2006, 11:16 PM
I stand corrected then. The trading up surprises me though, seeing how much against it Marvin seems to be. And from what I've read he seems to be cut from the same cloth as Cowher. But I guess if trading up gets you those kind of players, you can't argue. Personally, I like the idea of trading down if you're picking late, assuming you have some talent evaluators that know what they're doing. I love mulitple picks and there are quality players in rounds 3 and 4.

tony hipchest
04-26-2006, 11:45 PM
I stand corrected then. The trading up surprises me though, seeing how much against it Marvin seems to be. And from what I've read he seems to be cut from the same cloth as Cowher. But I guess if trading up gets you those kind of players, you can't argue. Personally, I like the idea of trading down if you're picking late, assuming you have some talent evaluators that know what they're doing. I love mulitple picks and there are quality players in rounds 3 and 4. as conservative as they seem, k. colbert and the steelers play it very loosey goosey on draft day. they call every team and inquire about trades, either up and down, and for every round, to find out what options exist. nothing is out of the possibility. if they need to trade up in the 4th round for a specific player, they pretty much know what team they need to call, within the alotted 10 minutes or so.

Haiku_Dirtt
04-27-2006, 04:20 AM
Man, who ever wrote this is a Steeler fan. I can feel it. This is perfect, I was hoping this was going to happen. This is the same crap they were saying about Larry Johnson. Aside from the weight issue, everything from not caring to dedication was said about LJ. If he is there at 32, I have no doubt in my mind Pitt will get him.

2004 We got a stud QB, Starks, Colclough and Kranchick.

2002 We got Kendall Simmons, Antwaan Randle, Chris Hope, Larry Foote, Verron Haynes, Brett Keisel.

2003 Troy Polamalu and Ike Taylor...the year we moved up.

Some years you go with quality and some years you go with quantity. If I look back on this draft 2 years from now I want to see LenDale White and ***** ***** who is a future restricted free agent highly sought after by teams in the league. Shrink the ten picks down to maybe 5 or 6. There is alot of borderline talent in the late rounds.

Since mid-season last year Ive been convinced that this guy - White - needs to be in Black and Gold. I'm telling you he'll smash rushing records as a Steeler.

psdraftnik
04-28-2006, 01:59 AM
Pete Carroll obviously loves LenDale White more than Reggie Bush. He had White in the national championship game more than Bush. I think he'd be a great pick. Remember, the season doesn't start until Sept.

clevestinks
04-28-2006, 05:03 AM
Pete Carroll obviously loves LenDale White more than Reggie Bush. He had White in the national championship game more than Bush. I think he'd be a great pick. Remember, the season doesn't start until Sept.
I see your point and agree that White would be a great pickup, but worthy of moving up?

tony hipchest
04-28-2006, 09:14 AM
I see your point and agree that White would be a great pickup, but worthy of moving up?if we move up i think it will be with the giants at 25. if denver doesnt pick white, we probably have to worry about sf or patriots drafting him. if neither of this happens we may want to go from 32 to 25 just to ensure jets or panthers dont take him. to go up 7 spots would probably cost our 1st, our 4th, and possibly our 5th. (still leaving us with 2 4ths and a 5th, for a total of 8 picks) last year losing 4th round pick f. gibson didnt hurt us and there wont be l. white talent there in the 5th. i think its a low risk, high reward deal.

BigDude66687
04-28-2006, 10:53 AM
Hell if thats all it takes to move up 2 the 25th slot to get white, do it, he'll be around for a long time, he doenst have a lot of wear, and if you watched him all season he fits our running style greatly

tony hipchest
04-28-2006, 11:12 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/sports/steelerslive/s_447963.html
(this article also breaks down all draft day trades made during the colbert era)

Steelers contemplate moving up in draft

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, April 27, 2006

The Steelers were bold enough in 2003 to trade up a few spots in the first round of the NFL draft and landed, not only the player they coveted, but a future All-Pro in strong safety Troy Polamalu.

Still, the Kansas City Chiefs, the team that moved down from No. 16 overall to No. 27 in accommodating the Steelers, probably isn't complaining.

"It worked out pretty well for them, too, getting (running back) Larry Johnson," Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert said.

Moving up 11 spots back in 2003 cost the Steelers' a third-round pick and a sixth-round selection, a price which remains the going rate for such transactions, Colbert said.

"It's usually going to take multiple picks in the first round, and sometimes, it's going to involve your third (-round pick)," Colbert said. "Teams have even traded their second (-round selection), depending on how high you want to go.

"It varies. You just have to go through the history of the picks, but it's definitely multiple picks (that are required)."

The Steelers are contemplating such a move again, in part because they annually explore that option and because, this year, it just might make sense.

They have 10 draft picks available heading into this weekend's draft, including a compensatory selection in both the fourth and fifth rounds. Compensatory picks can't be traded, but the Steelers' other seven draft choices can be dealt.

The Steelers have already begun to gauge potential interest, although Colbert doesn't expect those conversations to heat up until Saturday.

"Just to go back to Troy, those conversations started about mid-week -- 'yes, we are interested in moving; we will contact you,' or 'we will contact you if our player is there,' " Colbert said. "You don't really exchange any proposals at that point.

"It's very rare that anybody makes pre-draft trades. Sometimes, it happens, but if you don't know what you're trading for, it's a little more risky."

It's also potentially going to be a little more expensive, given that the Steelers are picking 32nd in each round.

"Obviously, those are the lowest picks in each round, so really, our first pick is like a second-round pick, and so on and so forth," Colbert said. "Each one of those is valued less, so it may take (more than two picks to move up in round one). If we say we are interested in giving a third and a fifth, they may demand a third and a fourth because we are so low.

"You'll make an offer, they'll make an offer and you just try to meet somewhere in between. Usually, it's not that complicated."