PDA

View Full Version : Ben and Hines to take charge!

zulater
11-18-2010, 12:44 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_709849.html

Ben Roethlisberger called Hines Ward on Tuesday to see how the concussed wide receiver was doing.

The Steelers' offense, which ranks 24th in the NFL and has struggled inside the red zone, may start feeling better as a result of their conversation.

"He actually brought up, 'Listen, lead us, show us how to do this,'" Roethlisberger said. "I said, 'Well, listen, it's us. Let's do this together. I need you as much as you need me, and we all need this together.' It was a good talk between us."

The joint decision to reassert themselves as the leaders of the offense — the two served as offensive co-captains in 2008-09 — comes at a critical juncture for the SteelersJ:tt03:

tony hipchest
11-18-2010, 12:51 AM
this little tidbit may be nothing, but it almost sounds like a "clearing of the air" telephone conversation.

no disruption between any 2 players could drive a bigger wedge in the team than these 2. if they werent on the same page since that SB season, lets hope they are now. it could mean the difference between 12-4 and 9-7.

Atlanta Dan
11-18-2010, 09:15 AM
this little tidbit may be nothing, but it almost sounds like a "clearing of the air" telephone conversation.

no disruption between any 2 players could drive a bigger wedge in the team than these 2. if they werent on the same page since that SB season, lets hope they are now. it could mean the difference between 12-4 and 9-7.

This tidbit was interesting

Roethlisberger said he plans on becoming more of a vocal leader. He said in the past his style was to pull individual players aside to talk to them. That, he strongly hinted, will change after his conversation with Ward

So Roethlisbrger apparently heard that Brady's yelling on the sidelines after the third down miss Sunday night is getting props

I apologize to everyone when I said in another thread yesterday that yelling just for the sake of yelling to show how "intense" you are is pointless - either it is not pointless or the Steelers are to the point they are going to act out to prove how much they "care" and deflect criticism about being "flat."

I suppose Troy and James Harrison will be doing the Ray Lewis dance during pre-game introductions to show how into the game they are:noidea:

Fire Haley
11-18-2010, 09:22 AM
Oh, the drama

He said in the past his style was to pull individual players aside to talk to them. That, he strongly hinted, will change after his conversation with Ward.

So who are they gonna be screaming and pointing fingers at? Each other? The O-line? The young WR's?

Blow-ups on the sideline with the coaches? - are we the Bengals?

Hines: "What kind of a ****ing pass was THAT!"

Ben: "Shut up and just catch the damn ball!"

SteeleReign
11-18-2010, 09:29 AM
Yeah, I don't buy this. Either you ARE a leader or you're not. You can't just start screaming at your teammates & become a leader.

NYC_Steeler
11-18-2010, 09:47 AM
You lead by example - your teammates will respect you for it and follow you off a cliff if they have to. Play like crap, make bone-headed decisions (interceptions, drop balls, miss tackles, etc.), and no one will see you as a leader.

tony hipchest
11-18-2010, 10:46 AM
Hines: "What kind of a ****ing pass was THAT!"

Ben: "Shut up and just catch the damn ball!"

:chuckle:

*sniff sniff*

i smell victories! :tt:

Fire Haley
11-18-2010, 11:08 AM
I perdict a win over the Raiduhs will turn all the frowns upside down.

Just win, baby!

jjpro11
11-18-2010, 12:01 PM
you can't change the way you do things like that overnight. Ben's gone his whole career without having to throw hissy fits at his teammates on the sidelines.. and it has worked to the tune of two Super Bowl wins. he can say this kind of stuff now, but when it comes down to it.. he will revert back to his natural instincts and lead the way he always has.

Riddle_Of_Steel
11-18-2010, 03:57 PM
I suppose Troy and James Harrison will be doing the Ray Lewis dance during pre-game introductions to show how into the game they are:noidea:

We need Peezy Porter back-- I miss the midfield "pre-game show"....

urgle burgle
11-18-2010, 10:49 PM
i am interested in seeing how this plays out. if ben's style of leadership before was one on one talks and all of a sudden he jumps into mr. rah rah, blast everyone guy, it will look like a reach, or fake. course it could also look lie he cares about the season and the team and is changing for that effect. it depends on how ben exactly does it. has to be managed well. there are different leadership styles that can be effective, but must be implemented correctly and from the heart, or else they fail miserably and have an opposite effect.
same goes with some people need different types of leaders to get them going.
this could prove to be season changing, either positive or negative. we shall see.

eafratitpm3
11-18-2010, 10:55 PM
We need Peezy Porter back-- I miss the midfield "pre-game show"....

Maybe we could have Big Snack do the midfield "pre-game show"

rbryan
11-18-2010, 11:56 PM
Can we take charge of whoever decided that using the same hand signals to call in the plays against the patsies was a good idea??

Thats right....I said it. That fishy smell the other night was real familiar.

Any coincedence that Mangini didn't seem to have any problems with "The Genius" the week before??

Do you really think they wouldn't try to get an edge if we're dumb enough to still use the same signals??

tony hipchest
11-18-2010, 11:59 PM
arians hand signals have always been him scratching his nuts and then his chin on the sideline.

we expect that to change now?

rbryan
11-19-2010, 12:02 AM
How hard can it be to mix in scratching his ass and picking his nose to switch it up every now and then

MACH1
11-19-2010, 12:55 AM
arians hand signals have always been him scratching his nuts and then his chin on the sideline.

we expect that to change now?

I always thought he was scratching his upper lip.

Does this mean Ben is going to "unleash hell"
By the way you should know by now it's all the D's fault. :rolleyes:

tony hipchest
11-19-2010, 01:10 AM
I always thought he was scratching his upper lip.

Does this mean Ben is going to "unleash hell"
By the way you should know by now it's all the D's fault. :rolleyes:HA!

believe it or not, ive actually encountered a very select minority who think lebeaus defense should hold the opponent to under 17 points EVERy single game, yet applaud with glee anytime arians offense scores a single TD and Saint Skippy was 3-3 in FG attempts.

:noidea:

MACH1
11-19-2010, 01:25 AM
HA!

believe it or not, ive actually encountered a very select minority who think lebeaus defense should hold the opponent to under 17 points EVERy single game, yet applaud with glee anytime arians offense scores a single TD and Saint Skippy was 3-3 in FG attempts.

:noidea:

I'm sure I know where they all hang out too. :chuckle:

It's funny how when the Steelers win a game BA gets all the credit and when they lose it's all the D's fault. Never mind all the bonehead play calls that probably cost the game.

Cept this last game, it was the whole freakin team that stunk the joint up.

Wallace108
11-19-2010, 02:04 AM

Those aren't hand signals. That's just how he entertains himself while waiting for the offense to go 3 and out.