PDA

View Full Version : Is Big Ben to blame?

SteelerSwagga
11-18-2010, 03:58 PM
It seems like ever since Ben came back things have been going downhill. Without Ben we played alot beter as a team and it showed. We beat quality teams and did it the Steeler way. The defense played 10x better and we actually had a running game. The O-Line blocked much better for less mobile qb's like Charlie Batch. I'm not saying that Ben has been the major reason why all these things are occuring but i do think he has something to do with it.

I think that once Ben came the whole tram thought that they didnt have to play as hard as before. Each unit had to play so well in the first four games for us to win. Now that Ben is back they think that he will save them and therefore arent playing as well. I dont know if there are still issues in the lockeroom concerning Ben's situation or not. I just dont know how the offense has regressed since Ben came back. This is the only reason i can come up with for why this has happened.

SH-Rock
11-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Well according to your logic, how is this Ben's fault? The team should know Ben is just another player, not a football god. So it's the team fault for not playing their all each week.

truesteelerfan
11-18-2010, 04:56 PM
No way it is Bens fault....Other teams just know Ben's style better, thus can be more prepared for it...Plus Ariens thinks Ben is like a new Christmas present...gotta throw.

Steel-Bryan
11-18-2010, 05:10 PM
its my fault, the steelers are 0-3 when i have people over to watch the game

grward
11-18-2010, 06:06 PM
its my fault, the steelers are 0-3 when i have people over to watch the game

Please BAN everyone from your house until after the Super Bowl!!

MillerMania83
11-18-2010, 06:40 PM
The team on both sides of the ball was MUCH healthier in those first 4 games then it is now, VERY MUCH, which is a factor I'm sure....Not an excuse though, as every team has injuries this time of the year, some more than others....Like it was said, it's NOT Ben's fault then, it's everyone else's for "slacking" a bit since his return....It's look in the mirror time, MAN UP, BOTTOM LINE.

SoCalFan
11-18-2010, 06:41 PM
Of course NOT!!!!!

MaineSteelerFan
11-18-2010, 07:29 PM
It seems like ever since Ben came back things have been going downhill. Without Ben we played alot beter as a team and it showed. We beat quality teams and did it the Steeler way. The defense played 10x better and we actually had a running game. The O-Line blocked much better for less mobile qb's like Charlie Batch. I'm not saying that Ben has been the major reason why all these things are occuring but i do think he has something to do with it.

I think that once Ben came the whole tram thought that they didnt have to play as hard as before. Each unit had to play so well in the first four games for us to win. Now that Ben is back they think that he will save them and therefore arent playing as well. I dont know if there are still issues in the lockeroom concerning Ben's situation or not. I just dont know how the offense has regressed since Ben came back. This is the only reason i can come up with for why this has happened.

Um, try a horrific o-line, bad play calling, drops in the end-zone for easy TD's and blow hot reads by wr's.

tony hipchest
11-18-2010, 07:46 PM
our special teams have been excellent with or w/o ben (with exception of skippy who was horrible with or w/o ben).

saints and patriots make alot of good defenses look bad. :hunch:

Riddle_Of_Steel
11-18-2010, 11:33 PM
The overall health of the team has been the biggest factor-- not Ben. In Ben's first game back, he nuked the Browns, who are looking to be an otherwise halfway descent team (not good enough to contend maybe, but good enough to play spoiler), since then, guys have been dropping like flies-- Starks out for the season, Aaron Smith maybe out for the season, Brett Kiesel out, Kemoeatu out, Timmons out, Mendy banged up a bit, Redman and Moore had concussions, and the list goes on and on.

I don't know if it is just bad luck, age, or maybe we need to look at a new training staff? But it seems that 2007, 2009, and maybe this year, went swirling down the drain because of injuries....this team is getting old, REALLY old in the trenches....

Riddle_Of_Steel
11-18-2010, 11:36 PM
Also, since Ben came back, Arians went back to his old ways.

I have defended Arians in the past, but am now pretty convinced he is useless to our team. Notice how whenever the offensive plays are coming in from the sideline, our offense does jack for 3 quarters, but as soon as Ben takes the helm and calls the plays out of the no-huddle, our offense friging rolls?

Why do we wait until we are getting crushed before we pull out the "secret weapon"? WHy don't we ever start a game out in the no-huddle, put the other team in the hole early, and then run the clock out? It isa time-honored strategy that seems to elude Arians. His offensive playcalling is not aggressive or creative-- it is counterproductive.

steelerjim58
11-19-2010, 12:05 AM
I'm surprised at how many times in this forum people talk about how good the running game was for the first four games. Other than Tampa Bay I don't think it has been very effective at all. We were 3-1 because the d was able to force a lot of turnovers and keep teams out of the end zone. As far as Ben being the problem, thats just crazy. Even with our starting o-line being intact, he would still be running for his life more often than not when he is in a passing situation. With the rash of injuries, the situation is even worse.

wootawnee
11-19-2010, 02:11 AM
Riddle of Steel you got it right......

BEN AND ARIANS ARE NOT COMPATABLE.......

Simple as that........One of them has to go.......

DoubleYoi
11-19-2010, 09:05 AM
Riddle of Steel you got it right......

BEN AND ARIANS ARE NOT COMPATABLE.......

Simple as that........One of them has to go.......

Ben supposedly was the only factor in Arians being brought back. It's believed that Arians was all but out the door until Ben begged for him to be retained. What truth/validity this has is up in the air but I kind of chuckle every time I hear someone say Ben doesn't like Bruce's play-calling or that they just don't get along.

And no, Ben does not make this team any worse. Replacing an unproven QB in Dixon, career backup in Leftwich and aging career backup in Batch with a two-time SB winner DOES NOT make a team worse....no matter how you try to paint the picture. Injuries have depleted this team yet again and the three losses have come to three very capable teams. Ben can't keep block D-lineman, stop the pass or kick game-clinching FGs himself.

biggtee
11-19-2010, 10:33 AM
would u rather have batch leftwich or dixon in there ?lol gimme a ****ing break big ben doesnt play D or O-line

kirklandrules
11-19-2010, 01:07 PM
Anyone notice that since Smith and Kiesel have been out our pass rush has suffered. Everyone thinks of our d-linemen as run stoppers only. I haven't had a problem with the way Hood and Eason play the run. But they aren't occupying the o-linemen for the linebackers to get to the QB.

The o-line sucks too. So, basically, the Steelers are struggling because they can not win the battles in the trenches.

Ben's fine.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
11-19-2010, 01:24 PM
Just for the record, the Steelers' passing offense was in last place before the Browns game. Since that game, Ben Roethlisberger leads the NFL in passing yardage.

Third Rail
11-19-2010, 01:42 PM
Just for the record, the Steelers' passing offense was in last place before the Browns game. Since that game, Ben Roethlisberger leads the NFL in passing yardage.

Bingo.

But no... let's get back to 100 yard, 0 TD/2 INT performances from the quarteback! All we need to do is run the ball 87 times per game! I love 3 & outs!

Riddle_Of_Steel
11-19-2010, 03:36 PM
Ben supposedly was the only factor in Arians being brought back. It's believed that Arians was all but out the door until Ben begged for him to be retained. What truth/validity this has is up in the air but I kind of chuckle every time I hear someone say Ben doesn't like Bruce's play-calling or that they just don't get along.

I've heard mixed things along these lines.

On the one hand, Bruce seems to empower Ben's occaisional bad decision making (and vice versa)-- they both like to go deep on every play. Having both of them might be altogether too much....kinda like Hannibal Lecter's discussion about the birds that are high rollers and low rollers, and if two low rollers mate, the offspring will kill itself by rolling too low. "Let us hope one of Clarice's Starlings parents was a high roller...."

But.......I digress.

Then again, there was that sideline debacle in Denver last year (which I am surprised we did not hear more about it-- will try to find an article or source). Ben wanted to go to the no-huddle. Bruce would not let him, so Ben went over his head to Tomlin at the half who agreed with him. Not surpringly, we went to the no-huddle for the second half of that game and absolutely trashed the 6-2 (or was it 5-2?) Broncos....

Riddle_Of_Steel
11-19-2010, 03:39 PM
I really don't know why we don't utilize the no-huddle/muddle more (other than Bruce realizes that if we can run that successfully, without needing his playcalls.....what does he do again?)....

I mean, it was most of the reason why Cowher drafted Ben in the first place-- Ben was dynamite out of the no-huddle at Miami, Ohio. That was what Kevin Colbert and Cowher were looking at when they picked him in the 1st round.

Why handicap your players by not maximizing their strengths and talents to win games?

ZoneBlitzer
11-20-2010, 12:33 PM

He does??? I figured that Phillip Rivers would've been leading in that stat.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
11-20-2010, 02:52 PM
He does??? I figured that Phillip Rivers would've been leading in that stat.

Weeks 6-10

Rivers= 100/146, 1,185 yards, 8 TDs, 4 INTs
Roethlisberger=99/158, 1,304 yards, 9 TDs, 4 INTs

Though it is worth noting that the Chargers had a bye during week 10.

tanda10506
11-20-2010, 03:26 PM
I don't think it's Ben's fault at all. Sometimes there are some passes he doesn't make, but there's usually not much error on his part. The O line has to step up. Ben's great on the run so they don't have to be perfect, but they are really playing bad right now. Also the defense really seems to have dropped off. I know the passing defense never was perfect, but the defense as a whole took the ball from Tennesse 7 times, now they are lucky to get one take away in a game. I think the biggest problem since Ben has been back is play calling. In my opinion the play calling has been bad for YEARS! It was a little better without Ben the first 4 games because Arians probably didn't trust Batch and Dixon a whole lot so they ran a lot more. But the play calling then was still awful, just not as bad. Now Arians has almost abandoned the run and when they do run they stack up the line and put someone in motion. It's horribly obvious when they are going to run, I can call it way before they snap the ball. I think he has to go, Arians that is.