PDA

View Full Version : Arians speaks

mesaSteeler
11-19-2010, 06:21 AM
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/11/18/arians-speaks/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29
View From The Press Box

Arians speaks
November 18th, 2010

Judging by the response to the blog entry I posted earlier this week about Bruce Arians, it's probably best to post a transcript of his Thursday Q&A sessions with reporters.

Thanks to all who took part in and kept the disuccsion going about Arians and the job he has done as the Steelers' offensivfe coordinator. A lot of insight was provided by a lot of people, and it gave me a good sampling as to how Steelers fans feel about Arians.

That being said, here is Arians' talk with reporters following practice Thursday:

Q: Is it possible you might start opening up the offense more?

A: “I don’t think so. Each game’s a little different. We talk about it each week. Last week we had to (open it up) but we want to maintain balance as long as we can in the game. To me, (50/50) is the perfect ratio. You come into a game and you have the lead in the fourth quarter the runs are going to go up.”

Q: Has anything stood out about why the offense has struggled to score touchdowns in the red zone?

A: “Yeah, dropped balls. We haven’t run it very good inside the 10-yard line. We’ve had like first and goal at the seven or eight and we haven’t run the ball for 3 (yards), run the ball for 3 (yards) and gotten it down there where you have two things to do. We’ve thrown it into the end zone and it’s come right back to second and 7. We need to pick that up.”

Q: How do you react when players are making mistakes like they were last week?

A: “You identify the problems and you keep your poise on the sidelines because there’s a long way to go. The most disappointing thing to me is we’ve been very, very good for four years starting second halves, and we have not been very good this year. We’ve not been starting ballgames as good (either). It seems like we get going instead of coming out ready to go and we’ve talked about it a lot.”

Q: Was the last game a particularly disappointing one?

A: “Oh yeah. I never would have guessed we would play that poorly and made the mistakes we made.”

Q: What did you come up with after reviewing tape as to why you played so poorly?

A: “I think each guy has to answer that individually. We had opportunities to catch the ball and score touchdowns and keep it pretty daggone close and we didn’t make the plays and overall we never ran the ball as well as we thought we would. Of course, you’re down two scores in the second half and things change but we should have been able to keep that game closer.”

Q: Has the offense's approach changed with Ben?

A: “Not really. We’re still trying to establish runs for play actions, throw on running downs, mix it up, more so like when Charlie (Batch) was in at the beginning of September. ”

Q: Have injuries along the offensive line affected the play calling, especially since you've had your share of them during games?

A: “You can’t change what your game plan is, you just expect the next guy to step up and play and it gets taxing after awhile when it happens every damn week.”

Q: If you see that backups can’t step up, don’t you have to change the game plan?

A: “If they can’t do something you try not to do that but if they can’t do something then you’re in trouble. If they can’t run block hopefully they can pass block. If they can’t play we’re dead but it’s something that we preach hard, whoever steps in, we won’t change what we’re doing. Now sometimes you get bad matchups, you try to stay out of formations that create those matchups up front if you can.”

Q: Tony Hills played late in the Patriots game. Was Flozell OK?

A: “He had stung his ankle the series before pretty good and he stayed in. We probably should have taken him out then but then Flo came back. Tony he’s done fairly well with the opportunities he’s had.”

Q: What did you think of Ben calling Hines and both deciding that they needed to step up as leaders on offense?

A: “It doesn’t surprise me I think people blow that relationship more into what it really is and things are said in the hest of battle sometimes that nobody really means. I’ve never sensed that there wasn’t a really good relationship there.”

Q: What about them both taking it upon themselves to lead?

A: “That’s what they need to do. They’re the vets, they’re the guys, they’re the ‘A’ players, and I’ve always felt they have done that. I know this. I’ve been here seven years and that’s the best two practices Hines has had in five of them because he hasn’t practiced on Wednesday in a long time. He wanted to prove to everybody that he was healthy. He had two great practices and showed a lot of the younger guys how to do it."
Filed under: Steelers Comments (15)

Whodis
11-19-2010, 07:24 AM

A: “I don’t think so. Each game’s a little different. We talk about it each week. Last week we had to (open it up) but we want to maintain balance as long as we can in the game. To me, (50/50) is the perfect ratio. You come into a game and you have the lead in the fourth quarter the runs are going to go up.”

And the band plays on. What horse$h*t

Curtain_of_Steel
11-19-2010, 08:13 AM
shouldve said:

We run on running downs, try to run on passing downs, but always punt on 4th and long. We might try passing on running downs, and running on running downs more. Especially when we are behind, as per Mr. Rooney, we can never run enough.

Or, perhaps we should try to challenge the call when we actually run the ball in and get called short?
OR perhaps, just stick with what works when something is working?
Or maybe lets try to no huddle early on to get them from blitzing 10 every play and we go 3 set 3 and out?
OR maybe, just maybe we can ask the WR's to turn the F around on blitzes so we have someone to pass too?

pitt0wns
11-19-2010, 12:47 PM
All of us fans are trying to point the finger somewhere and our easiest target is Arians.

I'm not a fan of him but it is true that we had a lot of balls dropped but then again you can blame the offensive line not holding up for Ben to make some throws.

I think the our defense was the killer in that game. Hard to win when your D cannot make a stop. Our D is no where near a championship defense.

The firing of Jeff Reed was a huge mistake and shows what a clown Tomlin is. You don't make that change in the middle of the season for someone who is worse.

Stu Pidasso
11-19-2010, 03:09 PM
That's the key right there. If you KNOW your offensive line can't protect your QB for more than a 3 step drop, then it's up to the offensive coordinator to recognize that, and say, oh, I don't know.... ROLL THE QB OUT OF THE POCKET once in a while. DRAW plays. Quick slants. ANYTHING but going 4 wide or bubble screens!! GOD BA is BS.

California-Steel
11-19-2010, 03:14 PM
Q: Have injuries along the offensive line affected the play calling, especially since you've had your share of them during games?

A: “You can’t change what your game plan is, you just expect the next guy to step up and play and it gets taxing after awhile when it happens every damn week.”

Q: If you see that backups can’t step up, don’t you have to change the game plan?

A: “If they can’t do something you try not to do that but if they can’t do something then you’re in trouble. If they can’t run block hopefully they can pass block. If they can’t play we’re dead but it’s something that we preach hard, whoever steps in, we won’t change what we’re doing. Now sometimes you get bad matchups, you try to stay out of formations that create those matchups up front if you can.”

WOW!!!! Right from the donkey's (Jackazz's) mouth. Put that square peg into that round hole Bruce... :banging:

MDSteel15
11-19-2010, 06:08 PM
What a flipping moron!!! :doh:

Fire Arians
11-19-2010, 06:14 PM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTX6PXNpaCg8fW0cHSP2loOg56n-e8QMHmj1qfArXdCLxwOfydA

tony hipchest
11-19-2010, 06:22 PM
ive said for 2 years now that he would be so much more tolerable if he would just STFU and never speak to the media again. :doh:

i swear everytime he speaks a spew of garbled bullshit comes out. its much better for us to just think hes and idiot instead of opening his mouth and proving it.

stb_steeler
11-19-2010, 06:32 PM

And it shows week after week..........I wonder if Arians watch's himself on tape, cause this F**c'n records skipping!... He thinks he's still a winner just because Tomlin takes him to pizza hut after a loss.

AndyWitmyer
11-19-2010, 07:40 PM
This transcript just proves what most of assumed along - Bruce is a jackass. His days had better be numbered. I was honestly shocked to read some of these things he was saying to the press.

HE REFUSES TO ACKNOWLEDGE HIS OWN MISTAKES!!! IT IS NOT HIS FAULT - IT IS THE FAULT OF THE PLAYERS!!

In fact, Bruce should have saved me 5 minutes of my life by skipping the press conference altogether. He could have simply gone up to the mic and said::

"Well, the players are just f-ing it up and I'm not sure how that could possibly be. I'm a fair and balanced coordinator and I'm obviously a genius - that our offense sucks... well, it's not my problem... it's theirs."

AndyWitmyer
11-19-2010, 07:55 PM
One more thing (sorry, I'm just really ticked off now and would like to vent):

I was stunned to read that he really has no intention of changing his plans. Insanity is trying the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Clearly, Bruce is insane and he's gotta go - preferably to a padded room as far away from football as possible. What is TRULY shocking is that he is evidently aware of this penchant for wooden play calling - it might have been more tolerable to read that he WASN'T actually aware of it. I'd be more forgiving of an idiot.

He's clearly NOT an idiot, rather a pompous and arrogant man who is in love with bland repetition. He even says that they suck inside of the ten... calling two failed run plays and then, on the last viable down, go ahead with an obvious pass play. 8 times out of 10, this will lead to a field goal (and with the way Reed was playing, not even THAT was a given)!

Pathetic. Please, Mr. Rooney - for the sake of Steeler Nation, fire him immediately!

Steeler4life1972
11-19-2010, 08:39 PM
This transcript just solidified the fact that arians is clueless!!!! He acts like a bum who just walked off the street and started to like football!!!! Im dead serious....I could script plays better than him and most people on this board could as well...what a joke!!!! This bastard will not be around next year...sorry Ben, time to learn a new offense so dont rally for him to stay because thats the only reason for you to try to keep him cause you dont want to learn a new system!!

Steeler4life1972
11-19-2010, 08:44 PM
For Arians to look at the new england film and not change anything????? C'mon Man....i think u actually dont know how to change things!!!! Its obvious!!! Same plays called for the last 5 years...everyone knows how to defend it now!!!! Adapt mutha fukker!!!

AndyWitmyer
11-19-2010, 09:16 PM
A CONCISE HISTORY OF FOOTBALL LEGEND BRUCE ARIANS
By Andy Witmyer

CHAPTER ONE
In 1974, BA became the starting quarterback for the Virginia Tech Hokies where he went on to complete 53 of 118 passes (or a 45% rate of completion) for 952 yards. He also managed to throw 3 touchdown passes and seven interceptions. BRILLIANT!!!

CHAPTER TWO
As the head coach of Temple University from 1983-1987, BA recorded an impressive 17 wins and 49 losses!!! The man had only one winning season... and in that one and only winning season, BA led Temple to 6 victories and 5 losses. BRILLIANT!!!

CHAPTER THREE
In the intervening years, BA was passed around across a wide spectrum of teams, bringing almost nothing of note to any of those teams he'd worked for (The lone exception would be his time with the Colts, where Peyton Manning would have been brilliant with or without him). Variously employed as anything from a running backs coach, to a tight ends coach, to a quarterbacks coach, to a wide receivers coach, BA became somewhat of a jack of all trades and master of none. BRILLIANT!!!

IN CONCLUSION
With these all of these AMAZING credentials, seriously... who could blame Coach Tomlin for wanting to promote to that most treasured position of any team's offense? Bruce Arians, Offensive Coordinator of the Pittsburgh Steelers! Definitely has a nice ring to it, you know? But ultimately, I think his IMPRESSIVE resume speaks for itself. It says: BA's gotta be the luckiest man in the NFL right now. How else could one explain his continued employment?

Steel_Bus_24
11-19-2010, 09:28 PM
Hey Bruce......

http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/4309601/480/Picture-Box/master-stones-slap.gif?v0

Triggerfish
11-19-2010, 09:57 PM
Dear god....I wish I wouldn't have even read this. BA is such a colossal FAIL at OC. Even his pathetic ANSWERS are predictable. Shift the blame, make hollow excuses, and most importantly, come hell or high water...."stick with the gameplan!" I'm going to go puke now.

SH-Rock
11-19-2010, 11:18 PM
Arians knows that the O-Line is banged up, so why not have play that require Ben to throw the ball as quickly as possible. Yeah it's Ben's fault for not doing that, but Arians as OFC needs to tell him stop running around and let it out of your hands quick. Also if you're struggling to run because of the O-Line then use your tight end for more than just blocking.

Triggerfish
11-20-2010, 06:49 AM

You "can't change what your game plan is"?! Are you freakin' serious?! Ummm....yes Bruce, yes you CAN! And you SHOULD, you imbecile! You say yourself that "every team is a little different", so why do you call the same damn ineffective plays NO MATTER who your opponent is?! For someone to even THINK you can't or shouldn't change your gameplan based on your opponent is RIDICULOUS! Do you think Bellicheck devised a different gameplan against the Steelers?! You bet your ass he did! I read somewhere that he said they wanted to try to pick up big chunks oy yards on 1st and 2nd down, since the Steelers traditionally "bring the house" on 3rd down. And they did that effectively! They wanted to get the ball out of Brady's hands quickly, which they did effectively. Need I go on?

And you know what gets "taxing after awhile"?! Your pathetic play calling and lack of a game plan "every damn week"! Someone PLEASE tell me this isn't Tomlin's (or the Rooney's for that matter) philosophy too! How can they read this garbage without seeing red flags popping up everywhere?! EPIC FAIL. :banging:

MACH1
11-20-2010, 03:21 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_oH00ITpsFik/TNLI8o9PRVI/AAAAAAAAAJU/7VwpqwfqS9Y/S250/Gaper+Week+8+Bruce+Arians.JPG

:chuckle:

wootawnee
11-20-2010, 03:21 PM
A: “You identify the problems and you keep your poise on the sidelines because there’s a long way to go. The most disappointing thing to me is we’ve been very, very good for four years starting second halves, and we have not been very good this year. We’ve not been starting ballgames as good (either). It seems like we get going instead of coming out ready to go and we’ve talked about it a lot.”

He keeps his poise by looking like a bubling idiot out thee with a clip board.....

We can't have a coach if the fans are not behind him.....You cannot win.......

I got 2 words for not starting games/halves fast....Santonio Holmes

tanda10506
11-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Offensive Play calling and Play timing is the reason for a lot of the losses over the last few years. Surprised we win some of the games we do after looking at the playcalling.

Tulsa
11-20-2010, 07:25 PM
A CONCISE HISTORY OF FOOTBALL LEGEND BRUCE ARIANS
By Andy Witmyer

CHAPTER ONE
In 1974, BA became the starting quarterback for the Virginia Tech Hokies where he went on to complete 53 of 118 passes (or a 45% rate of completion) for 952 yards. He also managed to throw 3 touchdown passes and seven interceptions. BRILLIANT!!!

CHAPTER TWO
As the head coach of Temple University from 1983-1987, BA recorded an impressive 17 wins and 49 losses!!! The man had only one winning season... and in that one and only winning season, BA led Temple to 6 victories and 5 losses. BRILLIANT!!!

CHAPTER THREE
In the intervening years, BA was passed around across a wide spectrum of teams, bringing almost nothing of note to any of those teams he'd worked for (The lone exception would be his time with the Colts, where Peyton Manning would have been brilliant with or without him). Variously employed as anything from a running backs coach, to a tight ends coach, to a quarterbacks coach, to a wide receivers coach, BA became somewhat of a jack of all trades and master of none. BRILLIANT!!!

IN CONCLUSION
With these all of these AMAZING credentials, seriously... who could blame Coach Tomlin for wanting to promote to that most treasured position of any team's offense? Bruce Arians, Offensive Coordinator of the Pittsburgh Steelers! Definitely has a nice ring to it, you know? But ultimately, I think his IMPRESSIVE resume speaks for itself. It says: BA's gotta be the luckiest man in the NFL right now. How else could one explain his continued employment?

They left out being the OC at Alabama and calling for a screen pass with a 2 point lead deep in their own territory in the final minute against Auburn in '97. After the turnover, Auburn kicked the winning FG, won 18-17.

Whodis
11-20-2010, 09:55 PM
Don't forget those stellar years in Cleveland

AndyWitmyer
11-20-2010, 10:07 PM
Don't forget those stellar years in Cleveland

Sorry guys, I couldn't include everything... because otherwise I'd have to write an entire book! :chuckle:

Tulsa
11-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Sorry guys, I couldn't include everything... because otherwise I'd have to write an entire book! :chuckle:

Just one? :chuckle: