PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Woodley fined for rough play

Whodis
11-19-2010, 06:02 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14322869/titans-stewart-steelers-woodley-fined-for-rough-play

NEW YORK -- Tennessee Titans offensive tackle David Stewart has been fined $20,000 by the NFL for unnecessary roughness.

Stewart was fined for unnecessarily striking an opponent late. He is a repeat offender, leading to the heavy fine.

Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley was docked $12,500 for roughing New England quarterback Tom Brady.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers safety Cody Grimm was fined $7,500 for unnecessary roughness for hitting defenseless receiver Dante Rosario in the head and neck area.

No word on any fine for the hit on Ward?

Whodis
11-19-2010, 06:17 PM
can anyone link the video? I can't find the play.

MDSteel15
11-19-2010, 06:57 PM
About tired of these pussies and their little touch fines but nothing on Hines' hit! :banging:

Fire Arians
11-19-2010, 07:09 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/stormangel1/cheaters.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/stormangel1/cheaters3.jpg

fer522
11-19-2010, 08:05 PM
welcome to the NEW National Flag League :banging:

jjpro11
11-19-2010, 08:29 PM
absolute joke.. it seems like every single week the NFL does something new to piss everyone off.

TRH
11-19-2010, 11:07 PM
are you kidding me??????? Is this true?
And for "rough play"?
My god, what have they done to this game................

SH-Rock
11-20-2010, 12:12 AM
WTF is this shit
Where is the fine on the Patriot hit on Ward

MikeHaullace
11-20-2010, 12:21 AM
F^%k Roger Goodell.

TRH
11-20-2010, 08:15 AM
Actually, Rooney should make a written complaint to the league regarding the unfairness and inconsistency of the fines. Stand up for the team for a change.
How do you justify fining Woodley for "rough play" but yet not fine a player for a clear helmet-to-helmet (whether a head was lowered makes no difference...) hit on a play that has been shown over and over again??
Rooney at this point, should feel completely hornswaggled about initially giving Goodell support when he got this job.

Atlanta Dan
11-20-2010, 08:59 AM
Actually, Rooney should make a written complaint to the league regarding the unfairness and inconsistency of the fines. Stand up for the team for a change..

AJR II did that with the $75K Harrison fine - my bet is everything else is being discussed privately

This will simmer until the offseason as the owners assess whether they really want scores in the 30s and 40s every week with half the league passing for > 300 yards as receivers run across the middle unimpeded while you cannot breathe near a QB

Of course Goodell will point to the TV ratings and says this is what the fans want - my analogy is that NASCAR got away from its roots earlier this decade and said everything was fine since ratings were up but now is in the dumpster since its core fan base lost interest as the nature of NASCAR was changed in order to "broaden" its appeal

It comes down to the fact Goodell prefers a Colts-Patriots type matchup in the 2006 AFC championship game to a Steelers-Ravens type matchup in the 2008 AFC championship game

steelcity1974
11-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Fines should be reserved for the intentional/agregious hits. A personal foul gets a flag and 15 yards...why does it get a fine too? Are they going to start fining guys for pass interference and holding? I just don't get it...no wonder guys don't play just for the love of the game like they did back in the 60s and 70s.

ZoneBlitzer
11-20-2010, 01:16 PM
I thought nobody touched Brady. I don't even remember the play. Did you hear Urlacher call Goodell a dictator?

sharkweek
11-20-2010, 01:57 PM
this is a joke if Ward's hit doesn't draw a fine.

Collinsworth said himself when he commented the Patriots were playing as if they didn't care about potential fines while the Steelers were holding up.

TRH
11-20-2010, 02:00 PM
AJR II did that with the $75K Harrison fine - my bet is everything else is being discussed privately

This will simmer until the offseason as the owners assess whether they really want scores in the 30s and 40s every week with half the league passing for > 300 yards as receivers run across the middle unimpeded while you cannot breathe near a QB

Of course Goodell will point to the TV ratings and says this is what the fans want - my analogy is that NASCAR got away from its roots earlier this decade and said everything was fine since ratings were up but now is in the dumpster since its core fan base lost interest as the nature of NASCAR was changed in order to "broaden" its appeal

It comes down to the fact Goodell prefers a Colts-Patriots type matchup in the 2006 AFC championship game to a Steelers-Ravens type matchup in the 2008 AFC championship game

i totally agree with you and they obviously want 60-52 scores, etc (wow, great idea...follow baseball' lead....funny, know one gives a s*** about baseball anymore, though)
But the main argument to be made here is not only Harrison' fines, but now they're diving into grey areas (such as Woodley's "hit") and NOT fining other players from other teams, even more blatant helmet-to-helmet activity.
It's completely unfair and i am not saying that as a disgruntled "pittsburgh" fan....i'm looking at this level-headed and unbiased. I mean, c'mon, this has to be unacceptable at a Pittsburgh ownership/Front Office level.

fer522
11-20-2010, 04:12 PM
i think goodell is gay and does not like violence and has a mancrush on brady:chuckle:

Riddle_Of_Steel
11-20-2010, 04:32 PM
i totally agree with you and they obviously want 60-52 scores, etc (wow, great idea...follow baseball' lead....funny, know one gives a s*** about baseball anymore, though).

For the current attention deficit generation of Americans, who need to see constant cars blowing up, touchdowns scored, and non-stop action to keep their minds on what they are watching...

But the main argument to be made here is not only Harrison' fines, but now they're diving into grey areas (such as Woodley's "hit") and NOT fining other players from other teams, even more blatant helmet-to-helmet activity.

Yeah, I think that is the part that aggravates me most. This is not as a biased Steelers fan-- GODell is not enforcing the rules with uniformity. The hits that Silverback got fined $75k for, were basically identical in situation and end result to the hit put on Hines this last Sunday.

I hope the Steelers whole org, from the top down, remembers this last Sunday and keeps it in mind when we play NE again in the postseason....after Brady spiked that ball in our endzone, I don't think I have ever wished for harm on any other player until then....I am hoping for another playoff rematch, and I hope to see Harrison poleaxe his ass into a somersault.

It's completely unfair and i am not saying that as a disgruntled "pittsburgh" fan....i'm looking at this level-headed and unbiased. I mean, c'mon, this has to be unacceptable at a Pittsburgh ownership/Front Office level.

I hear ya, man. It IS unacceptable at the ownership level. Didn't you hear Art Rooney's "warning" to Goodell a few weeks ago (no condescension intended, just not sure if you read the articles)? He warned him that he is trying to change the game from what gave it it's original appeal, and that doing so would make for some "bad consequences".

I am not sure what kind of relationship the Rooney's have with Goodell, but I cannot imagine it to be very good. They have been at odds with the Commissar's office since 2007, when Tomlin actually went to the league office to complain, carrying hours of video footage, to complain about how Harrison gets called for roughing the passer all the time, but the refs never call holding for the way offensive players constantly choke him, hold him, and clothesline him on almost every play. And it did absolutely no good-- you can't fight the system when the same guy is judge, jury, and executioner.

The Rooney's are also supporting Harrison's appeal of the $75k fine. Not mch else they can do now except not vote for the turd Commissar again in 2015. He won't listen to anybody at all, if he is not willing to even give an audience to the owner of one of the NFL's three largest market teams (Steelers, Splats, and Cowgirls).

joeyssteelcurtain
11-20-2010, 04:36 PM
that's B.S

Riddle_Of_Steel
11-20-2010, 04:36 PM
The thing that is REALLY amazing and telltale to me is.....

Back in 2008, Harrison was being called a "prototypical 3-4 OLB", and his tackles and hits were described as "textbook form"-- he goes low, wraps up, puts his helmet on the ball, and drives. He was the perfect example of what a 3-4 OLB was supposed to be and do.

That same style of furious play that got him Defensive Player of the Year in 2008, is now getting him $75,000 fines. Harrison didn't change-- the league did, and they are STILL selling wall-mounted posters of that hit on Massaquoi for $224 for the 10' x 15' version. Hypocrisy at its finest....

tanda10506
11-20-2010, 04:39 PM
I think there has been a "sissification" of males in general over the decades. Now it's seeping into the NFL. Seems like the Steelers are the #1 target of the anti hard hitting rules. I'm kind of proud of that lol, but that shit has to stop.

Whodis
11-20-2010, 10:48 PM
Actually, Rooney should make a written complaint to the league regarding the unfairness and inconsistency of the fines. Stand up for the team for a change.
How do you justify fining Woodley for "rough play" but yet not fine a player for a clear helmet-to-helmet (whether a head was lowered makes no difference...) hit on a play that has been shown over and over again??
Rooney at this point, should feel completely hornswaggled about initially giving Goodell support when he got this job.

I was thinking the same thing. At least put it out there so we can even the playing field.