PDA

View Full Version : Steelers get 3 compensatory draft picks

83-Steelers-43
03-28-2006, 12:38 AM
ORLANDO, Fla. -- The NFL rewarded the Steelers with three of the top eight compensatory draft picks handed out to teams yesterday for losing players in free agency a year ago.

The Steelers received two fourth-round picks and a fifth-round selection among the 32 extra picks the league issued. Their two fourth-round picks are the 131st and 133rd overall in the draft and their fifth-round pick is 167th overall. That gives them 10 picks in the April 29-30 draft, including seven original choices (one in each round). They have not had that many draft picks since 1999, when they drafted 11 players. They may not keep that many by the time the draft rolls around.

"That's what's good," coach Bill Cowher said. "You get those picks, get some extra picks, maybe move a little bit in the draft or stay and get some good quality players."

The Steelers received no compensatory picks in 2005.

Compensatory picks are based on a formula that considers free agents lost and signed, the contract sizes each received and their performances in the 2005 season. The Steelers lost Kendrell Bell, Plaxico Burress, Oliver Ross and Keydrick Vincent in free agency. They signed only Cedrick Wilson. - PPG

Suitanim
03-28-2006, 07:46 AM
Hmmm..everything I'd heard prior was a 3, 4 and 5.

Midnightwriter1
03-28-2006, 08:33 AM
I thought that the 3rd rounder was a definate ?? how the hell does Lamont ( i really did nothing when playing for the jets ) get a higher bid than Burris ? I dont understand that

BigDude66687
03-28-2006, 09:09 AM
i think it comes down to the fact that we repalced buress with wilson and that Jordan got a bigger contract than burres

rowedf
03-28-2006, 09:24 AM
It is based on the players performance and the amount of money they got in their contract.