PDA

View Full Version : Committee frowns on end zone celebrations

83-Steelers-43
03-28-2006, 01:13 AM
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - Spiking the ball in the end zone is OK. So is spinning it on the ground, or dunking it over the goalpost. Dancing in the end zone is fine, too, as long as it's not prolonged or a group effort.

Almost all other celebrations will be out if the NFL competition committee's proposal to clamp down further on the frivolities is passed by the owners.

"Individual celebration was getting out of hand," Tennessee Titans coach Jeff Fisher said. "The players' association was unanimous in wanting to get this under control."

The new emphasis on unsportsmanlike conduct penalties will call for a 15-yard markoff on the ensuing kickoff against the offending team, and possible fines.

Players can't use props for any celebrations, and they can't be on the ground. Asked what happens if a player is tackled in the end zone and begins celebrating while down, Fisher said it would be a penalty.

"Get up and dance," he said, prompting laughter at a news conference - FSN

Steelersfan
03-28-2006, 02:05 AM
You mean we can't watch Hines mock TO again?........LMAO!!! That was one of the best!

http://img483.imageshack.us/img483/1786/hinesward3id.gif

SteelR1
03-28-2006, 04:07 AM
I think end zone celebrations are just fine, as long as they are short and to the point.

Suitanim
03-28-2006, 07:45 AM
Wow...that means a 15 yard penalty for the Bungals each and every time CJ catches a TD pass...

Ambridge
03-28-2006, 08:12 AM
I think if you want to put a stop to some of the ridiculous end zone celebrations once and for all the league should assess a two point penalty on a touchdown where there is excessive celebrations.
What was a normal six point TD would be reduced to a four point TD.
Start taking points away and let's see how players hand the ball to the ref or just drop the ball on the ground after scoring a TD.

Suitanim
03-28-2006, 08:15 AM
Ha! That's a great idea. FORCE the whole league into acting with class, ala Barry Sanders.

DIESELMAN
03-28-2006, 08:21 AM
spiking the ball,giving high 5's with a couple of players in my opinion is ok....but the bullshit with the sharpies and the crazy dances is ridiculous....unsportsmanlike and NO CLASS!!!!! whatever hapened to scoring and acting like you've been in the endzone before?

BlackNGold203
03-28-2006, 08:42 AM
spiking the ball,giving high 5's with a couple of players in my opinion is ok....but the bullshit with the sharpies and the crazy dances is ridiculous....unsportsmanlike and NO CLASS!!!!! whatever hapened to scoring and acting like you've been in the endzone before?

Amen to that..and Kudos to the earlier post citing Barry Sanders...

DIESELMAN
03-28-2006, 09:31 PM
heres what the mouth had to say about it.....Mark Curnutte, of the Cincinnati Enquirer, reports Cincinnati Bengals WR Chad Johnson says the new rule proposal to crack down on touchdown celebrations will not stop him. Johnson said, "Tell the competition committee that Chad said you can't cover 85, and there's no way you can stop him from entertaining...

83-Steelers-43
03-29-2006, 07:34 AM
heres what the mouth had to say about it.....Mark Curnutte, of the Cincinnati Enquirer, reports Cincinnati Bengals WR Chad Johnson says the new rule proposal to crack down on touchdown celebrations will not stop him. Johnson said, "Tell the competition committee that Chad said you can't cover 85, and there's no way you can stop him from entertaining...

Not surprising. Chad being Chad is more important than putting the opposing team 15 yards up from the kickoff. To hell with the rest of the team, look at me, me, me. What a dope.