PDA

View Full Version : Steelers to open up Arizonas new stadium...

BlackNGold203
03-28-2006, 08:07 AM
TEMPE, Ariz. -- The defending Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers will face Arizona on Aug. 12 in the first preseason game in the Cardinals' new Glendale stadium.

The game will be played in the afternoon, which is possible because the new facility is air-conditioned with a retractable dome. Due to extreme heat, afternoon preseason games were impossible at open-air Sun Devil Stadium, where the Cardinals spent their first 16 seasons in the desert.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=2386567

Cool!!

(pardon the pun)

Suitanim
03-28-2006, 08:16 AM
It'll be sad if the Cards still suck open ass, and they have a great new stadium half full every Sunday.

Midnightwriter1
03-28-2006, 08:24 AM
With James i think they will be pretty good.. Arington was suppose to bring them a runner.. they have wayyy too many weapons now that they wont play well. They may win that division they are in as well. They are loaded on the offensive side of tha ball so if nothing else they should score alot of points and at least get fans in there. Although the Cardinals have been alot of " experts" sleeper team for awhile now... i really think they will do well this year. good test for us.

Ambridge
03-28-2006, 08:32 AM
With James i think they will be pretty good.. Arington was suppose to bring them a runner.. they have wayyy too many weapons now that they wont play well. They may win that division they are in as well. They are loaded on the offensive side of tha ball so if nothing else they should score alot of points and at least get fans in there. Although the Cardinals have been alot of " experts" sleeper team for awhile now... i really think they will do well this year. good test for us.

Signing James was a great move but it was mirrored with an equally dumb move by letting Josh McCown go.
I don't know how Denny Green convinced himself that Kurt Warner is a better choice at QB but I hope the Arizona media and fans kick his ass to no end when this move eventually comes back to haunt the Cardinals.

Midnightwriter1
03-28-2006, 08:36 AM
Have no idea why they let him go, apparently Grn didnt think he ws the future. Warner will be there a few more yeas so they have time ( maybe this years draft ) to get a QB to back up Warner.

SteelerDad
03-28-2006, 11:06 AM
It seems to be assumed out here that if Vince Young falls to Arizona, they'll pick him.

The Cardinal's new stadium is very impressive, but it's still hard to get people to come out to the games because so many people in the state are from somewhere else. Cleveland and Pittsburgh have huge fan followings out here, so the game should sold-out with Steeler fans coming from not only Arizona, but Southern California as well.

tony hipchest
03-28-2006, 11:17 AM
It seems to be assumed out here that if Vince Young falls to Arizona, they'll pick him.

The Cardinal's new stadium is very impressive, but it's still hard to get people to come out to the games because so many people in the state are from somewhere else. Cleveland and Pittsburgh have huge fan followings out here, so the game should sold-out with Steeler fans coming from not only Arizona, but Southern California as well.unfortunately phoenix is the closest football town to southern nm, and this is the closest the steelers will be coming my way. i almost feel obligated to make the 6hr drive to see them. and the new stadium.

Suitanim
03-28-2006, 02:17 PM
They'll be a honeymoon period where people will show up just to experience the new stadium, but, the bottom line remains, no wins = no butts in seats.

Midnightwriter1
03-28-2006, 02:22 PM
With the division the Cards are in ... they have a shot to win.

SteelerDad
03-28-2006, 02:26 PM
They'll be a honeymoon period where people will show up just to experience the new stadium, but, the bottom line remains, no wins = no butts in seats.

That's what drives me nuts about down here. They have some awesome arenas and stadiums. Glendale Arena is far and away the most impressive hockey arena I've ever been in. Chase Field, the Cardinals stadium, even Arizona Stadium here in Tucson is pretty good. But they don't win and even when they do, they can only fill their stadiums to 3/4 full.

ngreene15
03-28-2006, 03:02 PM
I actually go to Phoenix a couple times a year and I've seen this stadium being built in Glendale.... It's an absolutley massive, state of the art stadium... It supposed to have retractable turf.

Maybe fans will actually come to this stadium, Sun Devil Stadium was just brutal for watching games in. Intense heat, plus you sit on aluminum benches with no backs, which I'm sure everyone can imagine is verrrrry uncomfortable.

Mr. Clean
03-28-2006, 04:27 PM
A new stadium will not change the sorry fortunes of the Cardinals. This is the single worst franchise in NFL history. they have one championship, from 1947 when they played in Chicago. They have not played a home playoff game since then, and have not won 10 games in a season since 1976.

Bidwill bailed out on St. Louis to move to a college football stadium in Tempe. First they were the Phoenix Cardinals, then it's Arizona.

Doesn't matter. They stink. I would take Trent Dilfer or Charlie Frye over Kurt Warner.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-28-2006, 04:33 PM
Looks like they have gauranteed to open the stadium with a loss.

Midnightwriter1
03-28-2006, 04:36 PM
Cant argue with past history, but Green is makinga very good effort to turn all that around. With the Ol they have, the WR and the RB they just got, alongiwth .. yes Warner... they are looking to be a pretty decent offensive team. With greens past sucess in Minnesota, i thin kthey will do ok.. I am not a huge Green fan or Cardinals for that matter.. but damn they have some serious talent there. I think they showed last year they will be competitive .. they didnt have a running game to speak of so they went and fixed it. Kinda like the browns.. have to give them some credit for trying to turn it around.

83-Steelers-43
03-28-2006, 04:46 PM
I guess the NFL feels they need to throw the Cards a bone in order to sell more tickets. Oh well, have to wait a game until we can officially enter Heinz for the 2006-2007 season. Kinda stinks.

SteelerzGirl
03-28-2006, 06:19 PM
unfortunately phoenix is the closest football town to southern nm, and this is the closest the steelers will be coming my way. i almost feel obligated to make the 6hr drive to see them. and the new stadium.

You should definitely go if you can, tony, and party w/the other Steelers fans. I'm sure there will be a ton of them there. :smile:

clevestinks
03-29-2006, 09:39 AM
Sweet, I have great friends who moved out there 3 years ago, and they are huge Steelers fans