PDA

View Full Version : The Fire Arians Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Fire Arians
11-21-2010, 01:06 PM
opening drive, 3 and out

empty backfield and bunch formation when you know your qb will only have 2 seconds to throw the ball?

JewniorGong
11-21-2010, 01:11 PM
so on 3rd and 3, Ben is looking way downfield, never releases the ball, no short routes, 3 and out

Yep. Fire him

SteelCityMom
11-21-2010, 01:11 PM
No, come on...we have plenty of threads bashing arians. Post in one of those.

SteelCityMom
11-21-2010, 01:15 PM
Nevermind...I'll leave this one open. Many of the other threads have been buried.

I'm going to sticky this though and any future bashing threads will be moved here.

Fire Arians
11-21-2010, 01:20 PM
Bruce "3 and out" Arians at it again

JewniorGong
11-21-2010, 01:22 PM
and another one! nice grab Sanders!

Fire Arians
11-21-2010, 01:37 PM
see how the fullback helps the running game there arians? I bet money he stops using it because it's actually working

JewniorGong
11-21-2010, 02:04 PM
^^ hell yeah, amazing what an extra blocker in the backfield can do.. our running game looks legitimate

our defense is dominating this game, it's a shame our offense is stagnant

SteelCityMom
11-21-2010, 03:35 PM
I have to say...Arians has done very well today. If anything, the refs and injuries have held the offense back. Other than that, they've been very productive. No complaints from me today on game planning!

Whodis
11-22-2010, 01:11 PM
I don't have a lot to say about Arians today. I liked the trick play and reverses (keeps defenses honest IMO).

As stated above........ Why the hell does he stop using a fullback after it works? I see two plays in a row with nice yardage and then we're back with an empty backfield.

I hope the O-line gets healthy

cubanstogie
11-22-2010, 04:20 PM
I was confused on some of the early playcalling yesterday, didn't understand trick plays against a weaker team I thought we could run on and then use play action all day. But the bottom line is the offense produced even with a few dropped passes. Ben didn't turn the ball over and I have no problem punting opposed to forcing the pass and turning it over in our territory. I don't like 3 and outs but hardly blame Arians every time there is one. We were dominated at the line of scrimmage on both offense and D against the pats, Arians had nothing to do with Brady picking our D apart. I don't understand how his firing could be justified with our offense being successful since Bens return and more balanced this year than last few.

Fire Arians
11-23-2010, 02:41 PM
this game really only showed a squad with superior talent against an overmatched opponent. The Raiders were ranked #7 in defense going into the game, but those stats are decieving, they have played a soft schedule. going 3 and out on the first 3 drive still earns him a failing grade in my book. well maybe a passing grade but not great, for the first time this season I actually saw clock-chewing drives instead of just going for it all on 3rd downs.

the one thing that impressed me (though I think it was tomlin's decision) was to get sanders and brown more involved in the game. i understand the whole experience factor, but come on. antwaan 'garbage time' randle el has 0 touchdowns and can't seem to catch the ball when it counts. sanders did more in the last 2 games than el did all season. and brown is a big play threat in the return game. el is not, and might be almost as prone to muffing a punt as a rookie back there.

my stance on arians will remain the same until i see him outsmart and dissect a tough defense. this game only showed us that we were much more talented than the squad we were up against.

Fire Arians
11-29-2010, 03:44 PM
Post-Buffalo thoughts: Arians still sucks

pitt0wns
11-29-2010, 05:16 PM
Arians has got to go!

Our receivers are NEVER EVER open on a 3 step drop. Its like 1 out of 10 plays that someone is.

If Steeler Nation is crying about this guy for the past couple of years then something is clearly wrong.

Boot this coaching staff and bring back Cowher.

bigchuck
11-29-2010, 05:28 PM
why arent we blaming tomlin??? he is the head coach right?

theplatypus
11-30-2010, 12:34 PM
Arians has got to go!

Our receivers are NEVER EVER open on a 3 step drop. Its like 1 out of 10 plays that someone is.

If Steeler Nation is crying about this guy for the past couple of years then something is clearly wrong.

Because armchair quarterbacks and coaches are right so often.

Whodis
12-01-2010, 07:54 AM
why arent we blaming tomlin??? he is the head coach right?

So your saying we should buy the them both shirts that say "<---- I'M WITH STUPID"

Fire Arians
12-06-2010, 05:50 PM
week 13 vs ravens.

hate to admit it but he called a solid game. finally some quick hitting routes, does it take ben either 1) not being in the game 2) playing at 80% due to injury for him to actually implement a game plan that makes sense?

for some reason arians seems to save his best for the ravens. a couple years back we saw him use the 'muddle' to confuse the ravens defense early, and this time new formations out of the pistol with a lot of quick hitter routes. i wish he'd do things like this more often.

Whodis
12-08-2010, 08:36 AM
week 13 vs ravens.

hate to admit it but he called a solid game. finally some quick hitting routes, does it take ben either 1) not being in the game 2) playing at 80% due to injury for him to actually implement a game plan that makes sense?

for some reason arians seems to save his best for the ravens. a couple years back we saw him use the 'muddle' to confuse the ravens defense early, and this time new formations out of the pistol with a lot of quick hitter routes. i wish he'd do things like this more often.

Wish I could have talked to you after the first half! WTF

Better, but did you notice we didn't use a FB the whole damn game? Mendy ran into Ray Lewis at the line on every run play. It's such a waste of talent. I was impressed with that big ass TE Johnson, he seems to have Eric Green type hands, but can catch the ball in stride and hard to bring down.

The last TD wasn't because of play design either. Redman had a great effort there.

tony hipchest
12-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Better, but did you notice we didn't use a FB the whole damn game? Mendy ran into Ray Lewis at the line on every run play. It's such a waste of talent. I was impressed with that big ass TE Johnson, he seems to have Eric Green type hands, but can catch the ball in stride and hard to bring down.

i think people sometimes lose sight that we can only dress 45 on gameday.

just for reference, david johnson is our only "fullback", but really he is a tight end. he was replacing both matt spaeth AND heath miller so we really couldn spread him around to the fb position as well.

its also worthy to note that even when we had jerome bettis, dan kreider, tuman, breunner, and an o-line with several pro bowlers, we didnt exactly light up the ravens defense with the power running game, so throwing legusky in their a few times woulda been about meaningless.

Whodis
12-08-2010, 01:11 PM
i think people sometimes lose sight that we can only dress 45 on gameday.

just for reference, david johnson is our only "fullback", but really he is a tight end. he was replacing both matt spaeth AND heath miller so we really couldn spread him around to the fb position as well.

its also worthy to note that even when we had jerome bettis, dan kreider, tuman, breunner, and an o-line with several pro bowlers, we didnt exactly light up the ravens defense with the power running game, so throwing legusky in their a few times woulda been about meaningless.

I made mention of Johnson in another thread and he's a real nice change of pace at TE.

We never lit Baltimore up at running, however we were the last team to do it. I'm puzzled that we are suppose to return to the run game and we didn't go after John Kuhn or any other true FB. I think it's worthy to note we haven't run the ball against any legitimate teams. The wide open offense just doesn't seem to work in our division. I remember an article a few years back that had a quote from Polamalu where he stated something to the point of the offense was off the field so fast that it wore down our defense.

He was making the point that we were either scoring too quick or 3 and out. I know there's no solution in what I stated either :noidea:

preproman
12-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Fullback, Fullback

Guys we really need a good blocking Fullback in the offence. We had one with the BUS. We had one with Barry Foster and we need one with Mendy.

Lets start a "We need a Fullback petition"

wnyBob
12-13-2010, 04:52 PM
Just joined the forum today. Go Steelers. I've been an Arians basher lol for 3 years. He shouldn't have been brought back last year. The only thing that has remotely kept him above water is an great ad-libbing QB. Oh he can design a game plan. But when a defense gets his number he's cooked, done. He CAN NOT adjust. And has been like that for his tenure. Ben makes a couple of spectacular plays and bales him out, but we've been playing teams that a HS offensive coordinator ought to be going up and down the field on, but he gets out coached from the opposing Defensive Coord. week after week and if his little play chart doesn't work he can't figure out those defensive adjustments.

cubanstogie
12-13-2010, 05:41 PM
Just joined the forum today. Go Steelers. I've been an Arians basher lol for 3 years. He shouldn't have been brought back last year. The only thing that has remotely kept him above water is an great ad-libbing QB. Oh he can design a game plan. But when a defense gets his number he's cooked, done. He CAN NOT adjust. And has been like that for his tenure. Ben makes a couple of spectacular plays and bales him out, but we've been playing teams that a HS offensive coordinator ought to be going up and down the field on, but he gets out coached from the opposing Defensive Coord. week after week and if his little play chart doesn't work he can't figure out those defensive adjustments.

great another "broken record", if Arians were gone we would be at least 10-3 and leading the division. Oh wait we are, but but but our offensive stats would at least be better. yeah we know heard it all.

Whodis
12-13-2010, 06:35 PM
great another "broken record", if Arians were gone we would be at least 10-3 and leading the division. Oh wait we are, but but but our offensive stats would at least be better. yeah we know heard it all.

:thumbsup:

Maybe you should start a "Bruce Arians Appreciation " thread. That way we have a place to go to post some of his great moments

SH-Rock
12-18-2010, 12:26 PM
Let's make a list of possiblee OC for next year

Gary Kubiak
Jeff Fisher
Norv Turner (?)

Fire Arians
12-18-2010, 02:34 PM
Charlie batch? Hey kubiak went from backup qb to oc it can happen :)

BengalDestroyer
12-18-2010, 08:14 PM
I'd go for Batch. I would also go for Childress....

Fire Arians
12-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Posted by MACH1, this needed to go up on a sticky thread lol

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/2226/arians.jpg

Fire Arians
12-19-2010, 06:55 PM
draw from the shotgun with moore on the 3 yard line. how stupid you can you get bruce?

Raw Steel
12-19-2010, 06:58 PM
How can anyone defend this guy? He has cost us so many games. 3rd and 2 shotgun formations, On your own 3, shotgun formation. Horrible.

SH-Rock
12-19-2010, 07:14 PM
FIRE ****ING ARIANS
The last drive of the game was amazing. When Arians called plays we lost.

Big D
12-19-2010, 07:15 PM
great play calling. what a great idea running a shotgun hb toss with the back up running back. thats stellar play calling! merry christmas! xoxoxoxo

theplatypus
12-19-2010, 07:17 PM
great play calling. what a great idea running a shotgun hb toss with the back up running back. thats stellar play calling! merry christmas! xoxoxoxo

It wasn't a toss it was a freaking hand off and the o-line whiffed big time. If you go back and watch Arians called a pretty damn good game.

MasterOfPuppets
12-19-2010, 07:18 PM
i could see that run coming from 130 miles away. anybody who's ever watched a steeler game knows he always runs it on first down when backed up to the goal line.
i seem to recall another game when they almost gave up a safety with the same stupid ass play. :banging:

Big D
12-19-2010, 07:19 PM
It wasn't a toss it was a freaking hand off and the o-line whiffed big time.

either way. why in the hell would you call that? doesn't get any more piss poor then that

MasterOfPuppets
12-19-2010, 07:25 PM
Nevermind...I'll leave this one open. Many of the other threads have been buried.

I'm going to sticky this though and any future bashing threads will be moved here.
had this thread been started and stickied the 1st game of the year, there'd be 10,000 posts by now ....:chuckle:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
12-19-2010, 07:28 PM
How can anyone defend this guy? He has cost us so many games. 3rd and 2 shotgun formations, On your own 3, shotgun formation. Horrible.

I agree. Still I can tell you where to find a whole mess of people that defend Arians to the death. :doh:

SH-Rock
12-19-2010, 07:28 PM
Offseason Headlines
Coach Arians fired

MasterOfPuppets
12-19-2010, 07:35 PM
come on out arians !!! we know your in there !!!

http://mvbg.wikispaces.com/file/view/angry-mob.bmp/109151923/angry-mob.bmp

Fire Arians
12-19-2010, 07:39 PM
http://www.firebrucearians.com/

and everyone join this group on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=48648158505

therocksteeler
12-19-2010, 07:41 PM
draw from the shotgun with moore on the 3 yard line. how stupid you can you get bruce?

:iagree:

Yep you said it!!!!!!!

Chadmagic
12-19-2010, 07:58 PM
If Mendy was having a 100yard game, why not give him the ball in that situation and let him do what he was doing all day?

SH-Rock
12-19-2010, 07:59 PM
If Mendy was having a 100yard game, why not give him the ball in that situation and let him do what he was doing all day?

Because that would've been too predicatable. duh :doh:

Myron C
12-19-2010, 08:28 PM
9 seconds to go at the Jets 12 Yard Line 5 wide receiver set in the game the receivers are: Ward, Wallace, Sanders, Spaeth and Redman. WHY THE HECK WAS REDMAN IN THE GAME AT THE RIGHT WIDE RECEIVER? Where was Randal El? Where was Brown? The Steelers have 5-6 good wide receivers why not put them on the field at the same time? Better yet first quarter of most games inside the 10 yard line and Ariens is in the 5 wide out set, IS THIS THE NFL OR IS THIS THE SEC? Time to send Ariens back to Cleveland!! Without Ben scrambling on most pass plays and taking 25 hits a game this offense dosen't work. QB's like Tom Brady or Matt Ryan would never succeed with Ariens as there o coordinator. Ariens should give most of his check to Ben. Bill Cowher had Ariens reigned in, Coach Tomlin should reign in Ariens. No more 5 wide outs without at least 4 wide outs on the field, no more 5 wide outs in the first quarter inside the 15 yard line on first down with a running back and tight end at the wide out positions. Ariens needs to go!!!!:wave:

IowaSteeler927
12-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Arians is probably one of the worst situational play callers in the NFL. As an Iowa Hawkeye fan I have enough to deal with watching Ken O'Keefe the OC of the Hawkeyes screw our team out of winning games but it's twice as bad when I watch a guy that's supposed to have professional level talent in the NFL screw away our chances at kicking a game tying field goal because he thinks that running a shotgun draw play out of our own endzone is a good idea.

TRH
12-19-2010, 08:55 PM
Well, people.....as of today, the Jets game, i've now changed my outlook on Arians.
I've said before its not all on him (and it still isn't ALL on him...) and we should keep him for long-term consistency.
However...
After alot of thought and really looking at what he's done (and not done) and the really bad playing calling today, i'm now jumping to the "Fire Arians side".
A couple examples of just today :
1 - we try to run that end-around trick play to the right. So what do we do the very next play? Run the same end-around trick play to the left. Of course we got stuffed. Are you kidding me?
2 - that endzone play when we got hit with a safety. That was one of the dumbest plays i've seen in years. The Jets probably couldn't believe their luck that we could be that dumb. No discussion necessary.

I won't even get into the usual, run up the middle...then run up the middle...then run up the middle or the pass...pass...pass stuff. We are EASILY the most predictable offense in the NFL. Have been for some time.

The team has got to fire Arians the day after the last game of the season. Has to...

mesaSteeler
12-19-2010, 09:42 PM
Well, people.....as of today, the Jets game, i've now changed my outlook on Arians.
I've said before its not all on him (and it still isn't ALL on him...) and we should keep him for long-term consistency.
However...
After alot of thought and really looking at what he's done (and not done) and the really bad playing calling today, i'm now jumping to the "Fire Arians side".
A couple examples of just today :
1 - we try to run that end-around trick play to the right. So what do we do the very next play? Run the same end-around trick play to the left. Of course we got stuffed. Are you kidding me?
2 - that endzone play when we got hit with a safety. That was one of the dumbest plays i've seen in years. The Jets probably couldn't believe their luck that we could be that dumb. No discussion necessary.

I won't even get into the usual, run up the middle...then run up the middle...then run up the middle or the pass...pass...pass stuff. We are EASILY the most predictable offense in the NFL. Have been for some time.

The team has got to fire Arians the day after the last game of the season. Has to...

Welcome aboard.

steelerohio
12-19-2010, 10:17 PM
Count me in...

iceman000123
12-20-2010, 12:40 AM
After that safety......I'm fully on board. Get em out of here!

Whodis
12-20-2010, 08:52 AM
He only ran one screen pass yesterday? Why is Moore even dressed?

SH-Rock
12-20-2010, 09:08 AM
He only ran one screen pass yesterday? Why is Moore even dressed?

You can't blame Moore on that play.

SoCalFan
12-20-2010, 12:25 PM
The running game was working,thought we went away from it too much,and ran it at bonehead time,like in the end zone!NOT Moores fault!

Atlanta Dan
12-20-2010, 12:30 PM
Welcome aboard.

I would not be surprised to see Ed Bouchette joining this thread if these cutting remarks by Ed. B. in PG+ are any indication of Bouchette's opinions regarding our favorite offensive coordinator

Hines Ward said something interesting.

“Offense, defense, special teams, coaches – we all helped contribute to this loss.’’

Coaches? He offered no further explanation. Perhaps he was talking about not using Rashard Mendenhall more than 17 times when he produced 100 yards. Maybe he meant that first down at the three when, in the shotgun formation, Ben Roethlisberger handed off to his lone back – Mewelde Moore, who was snuffed out in the end zone by Jason Taylor for a safety.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports-town/steelers

In addition to indicating Ward is fed up, Ed.B. of the PG has these other thoughts on the superior football mind of Bruce Arians

In another close game, a game in which they led 17-10 in the third quarter, the Steelers ran Mendenhall 17 times when he averaged 5.9 yards a carry and looked good doing it? Roethlisberger threw 44 times...

On the final drive, when the Steelers were trying to race the clock, Bruce Arians kept sending in different packages, which took up valuable time as players ran on and off the field. How about picking one and sticking with it to conserve time?...

What’s with all the passes to the tight end. Seems like Heath Miller, their best tight end, can’t play and suddenly they discover the tight end as a target. Matt Spaeth was thrown to eight times, not counting the hand he got on the ball in the end zone that was intended for Emmanuel Sanders. He caught three of them. David Johnson also had a pass thrown his way that he did not catch. The brilliance of the final pass to Spaeth on the sideline in the end zone has been surpassed in Steelers history only by the final pass to Barry Foster that lost the AFC championship game to San Diego in the 1994 season....

Hines Ward ranks third among the NFL’s active receivers with 47 touchdown catches in the red zone and not once did they look his way on the final two passes. He had three passes thrown to him on Sunday. He caught two for 34 yards....

In a close, low-scoring game, the Steelers ran 25 times and passed 44. They averaged 5.9 yards per carry, 6.0 yards per pass attempt – less if you count the three sacks for minus-33 yards (down to 5.25 yards per attempt). The Steelers have been struggling to find a consistent running game all season and when it finally works, they abandon it. But they did have balance! They ran it 13 times in the first half, 12 in the second. They passed 23 times in the first half, 21 in the second....

Since his game-winning, tackle-busting 9-yard touchdown reception to beat Baltimore, Isaac Redman has gotten two carries in two games and one pass thrown his way, which he caught. Apparently, performance does not merit opportunity.

MasterOfPuppets
12-20-2010, 12:55 PM
- In the first quarter, the Steelers punted from New York’s 34 on fourth and five. What happened to the old swashbuckling Mike Tomlin, who once went for an unnecessary two-point conversion from the two? The field goal try would have been from 52 yards. Shaun Suisham later made one from 42 that was at least 10 yards long, although the other way with the wind. But punting from the 34? Maybe MT doesn’t have all that much confidence in his defense. After the punt, the Jets took over at the 22, a 12-yard difference. Tomlin might have gotten a better result had he ordered Rashard Mendenhall to fumble the ball forward on fourth down.

this ^^^
they were content all day with doing short kickoffs giving the jets great starting position. but yet they were worried about giving them the ball inside their own 35 ?
:banging:

sorry but i think the odds of converting that 4th or making the field goal are just as good as a scrap heap punter pinning them inside their 5 .

Atlanta Dan
12-20-2010, 03:21 PM
Bouchette is on a roll with the play calling - he piles on some more this afternoon

The problem for the Steelers is they did not run it enough. If you count Roethlisberger’s three sacks and two scrambles, he dropped back to pass 49 times and they attempted to run just 23 times. This, in a close game where they actually led by 7 points in the third quarter.

After they grabbed the lead, the Jets came back to tie it 17-17 on the next drive.

Here is what the Steelers did on their next drive: pass incomplete, run for 4 yards, pass complete for 17 but unnecessary roughness after the play for minus 15, run for 6, run for 1, pass incomplete, punt.

The Jets then scored again on a field goal on their next drive – that was two drives, 10 points against the Steelers defense – and the Steelers never scored again.

Whodis
12-20-2010, 04:16 PM
The running game was working,thought we went away from it too much,and ran it at bonehead time,like in the end zone!NOT Moores fault!

Scott missed the block.

My question is what does Moore bring to the offense that Mendenhall and Redman can't do better. After a big run here come Moore? He's a backup, why is he in there at crucial times?

ESPN was questioning the play call out of the endzone

Fire Arians
12-20-2010, 04:18 PM
Scott missed the block.

My question is what does Moore bring to the offense that Mendenhall and Redman can't do better. After a big run here come Moore? He's a backup, why is he in there at crucial times?

ESPN was questioning the play call out of the endzone

Good! the more negative publicity for arians' stupidity, the more likely tomlin will be forced into firing his ass.

Whodis
12-20-2010, 04:21 PM
I would not be surprised to see Ed Bouchette joining this thread if these cutting remarks by Ed. B. in PG+ are any indication of Bouchette's opinions regarding our favorite offensive coordinator

Hines Ward said something interesting.

“Offense, defense, special teams, coaches – we all helped contribute to this loss.’’

Coaches? He offered no further explanation. Perhaps he was talking about not using Rashard Mendenhall more than 17 times when he produced 100 yards. Maybe he meant that first down at the three when, in the shotgun formation, Ben Roethlisberger handed off to his lone back – Mewelde Moore, who was snuffed out in the end zone by Jason Taylor for a safety.

In addition to indicating Ward is fed up, Ed.B. of the PG has these other thoughts on the superior football mind of Bruce Arians

In another close game, a game in which they led 17-10 in the third quarter, the Steelers ran Mendenhall 17 times when he averaged 5.9 yards a carry and looked good doing it? Roethlisberger threw 44 times...

On the final drive, when the Steelers were trying to race the clock, Bruce Arians kept sending in different packages, which took up valuable time as players ran on and off the field. How about picking one and sticking with it to conserve time?...

What’s with all the passes to the tight end. Seems like Heath Miller, their best tight end, can’t play and suddenly they discover the tight end as a target. Matt Spaeth was thrown to eight times, not counting the hand he got on the ball in the end zone that was intended for Emmanuel Sanders. He caught three of them. David Johnson also had a pass thrown his way that he did not catch. The brilliance of the final pass to Spaeth on the sideline in the end zone has been surpassed in Steelers history only by the final pass to Barry Foster that lost the AFC championship game to San Diego in the 1994 season....

Hines Ward ranks third among the NFL’s active receivers with 47 touchdown catches in the red zone and not once did they look his way on the final two passes. He had three passes thrown to him on Sunday. He caught two for 34 yards....

In a close, low-scoring game, the Steelers ran 25 times and passed 44. They averaged 5.9 yards per carry, 6.0 yards per pass attempt – less if you count the three sacks for minus-33 yards (down to 5.25 yards per attempt). The Steelers have been struggling to find a consistent running game all season and when it finally works, they abandon it. But they did have balance! They ran it 13 times in the first half, 12 in the second. They passed 23 times in the first half, 21 in the second....

Since his game-winning, tackle-busting 9-yard touchdown reception to beat Baltimore, Isaac Redman has gotten two carries in two games and one pass thrown his way, which he caught. Apparently, performance does not merit opportunity.

thanks for the post

Bouchette is the real deal and will call it like he sees it.

Arians just out thinks himself

ricardisimo
12-20-2010, 05:50 PM
Absolutely everything Arians does revolves around doing the exact opposite of what he thinks the other team is expecting, and the issue Bouchette brings up with the tight ends is no different. Our best TE is out, and so the Jets would never think we'd suddenly accentuate the position, would they?

Same with Moore in the backfield at the three. No one would do something so stupid... they'll never see it coming! What a dipstick. What a child.

tony hipchest
12-20-2010, 08:13 PM
The problem for the Steelers is they did not run it enough. If you count Roethlisberger’s three sacks and two scrambles, he dropped back to pass 49 times and they attempted to run just 23 times. This, in a close game where they actually led by 7 points in the third quarter.

if its snowin, bruce is throwin.
if its windy, hes benching mendy.

of course the fist line of that stanza is a famous quote from dan marino- 'if its snowin, im a throwin'.

big difference between dan and arians, though. big difference between ben and dan as well (mainly pin point accuracy).

wnyBob
12-22-2010, 10:29 AM
No one would do something so stupid... they'll never see it coming! What a dipstick. What a child.

Exactly. Plus week in week out you have to be able to score more than 17 points to win in the league. Any team is cabable of scoring 20 against you with a little luck and a good drive or two. It's great that we have the awesome defense, but there are two sides of the ball in the game and our defense has literally handed Arians the game too many times and baled him out. A few times is what the law of averages is for, where you have to count on it, sooner or latter it comes up to bight you. With the excepton of the classic defensive battles with Balitimore. If all we needed was a defense and no offense, let Dick do it all. lol

Our circle all agree that Arians can draw up a game plan and if it works it works. But as mentioned above he either outsmarts himself, and/or more importantly if a defensive coordinator gets his number, he's cooked. He can't make the mid-game adjustments. then runs the same ineffective plays over and over. and then besides the defense helping, Ben's ad-libbing bales him out, but sooner or latter that luck can run dry too, as seen last Sunday.

games develop like chess matches after the first few series. Coordinator against coordinator. generally aside from Ben and the defense rising to the occasion, Arians loses those chess matches.

SH-Rock
12-22-2010, 12:14 PM
Gary Kubiak's time is numbered in Houston
I also hope Arians's time is numbered in Pittsburgh

Atlanta Dan
12-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Coordinator against coordinator. generally aside from Ben and the defense rising to the occasion, Arians loses those chess matches.

Opposing coordinators and head coaches (Belichick & Rex Ryan) play chess - Blame Someone Else Bruce plays checkers

Heeeeeeeath
12-22-2010, 02:18 PM
Gary Kubiak's time is numbered in Houston
I also hope Arians's time is numbered in Pittsburgh

Gary Kubiak would make a great OC for the Steelers... but it won't happen.

ricardisimo
12-22-2010, 06:55 PM
Gary Kubiak would make a great OC for the Steelers... but it won't happen.
No, it won't happen, and I'm not convinced it should.

I'd be curious to see what changing one little detail would do: handing game day play-calling over to someone else. Tomlin doesn't seem to want to do it, which is what happens with most teams whenever the OC doesn't do it. Maybe Randy Fichtner. Ben actually seems to be our best play-caller, but Bruce has clearly reined that in, for reasons we can all speculate about.

SH-Rock
12-22-2010, 11:46 PM
No, it won't happen, and I'm not convinced it should.

I'd be curious to see what changing one little detail would do: handing game day play-calling over to someone else. Tomlin doesn't seem to want to do it, which is what happens with most teams whenever the OC doesn't do it. Maybe Randy Fichtner. Ben actually seems to be our best play-caller, but Bruce has clearly reined that in, for reasons we can all speculate about.

Kubiak though does have an impressive record of having 2 superbowl rings as OC and the Texans offense is not that bad.

STEEL-MAN
12-23-2010, 04:21 PM
got to be the most useless thread every

Whodis
12-23-2010, 06:01 PM

Have you read the one about firing Tomlin to hire Cowher?

Fire Arians
12-23-2010, 06:41 PM

and you're the most useless fan ever if you don't want what's good for this team

wnyBob
12-23-2010, 06:41 PM

I don't know? I'm thinking he (Arians) got "another" chance going into this year. I could be wrong, as a lot of people could be with a lot of opinions, but I'm betting this year was the other chance and they'll let him go. If he was so good and such the hot hand, we haven't seen any other teams beating down the door to lure him away. Heck other teams we play would probably rather he stayed here, so they can stymie him with their defenses. lol

Whodis
12-23-2010, 07:03 PM
I don't know? I'm thinking he (Arians) got "another" chance going into this year. I could be wrong, as a lot of people could be with a lot of opinions, but I'm betting this year was the other chance and they'll let him go. If he was so good and such the hot hand, we haven't seen any other teams beating down the door to lure him away. Heck other teams we play would probably rather he stayed here, so they can stymie him with their defenses. lol

I often thought about what happens in another teams training room when they look at our offensive game tape?

rm81LSKJC2k

Atlanta Dan
12-23-2010, 11:36 PM
1:20 to go at the end of the first half after the long completion to Wallace with 2 timeouts

1st down - empty backfield to eliminate the threat of run or pass out of the backfield - incomplete pass to end zone

2nd down - empty backfield to eliminate the threat of run or pass out of the backfield - incomplete pass to end zone

3rd down - NOW we throw underneath to Sanders for 8 yards

Even Theismann said take what you can get underneath

So much for not trying to score on every play in the red zone

FIRE ARIANS!!!

SH-Rock
12-23-2010, 11:47 PM
1:20 to go at the end of the first half after the long completion to Wallace with 2 timeouts

1st down - empty backfield to eliminate the threat of run or pass out of the backfield - incomplete pass to end zone

2nd down - empty backfield to eliminate the threat of run or pass out of the backfield - incomplete pass to end zone

3rd down - NOW we throw underneath to Sanders for 8 yards

Even Theismann said take what you can get underneath

So much for not trying to score on every play in the red zone

FIRE ARIANS!!!
That was mostly Ben, not Arians

Atlanta Dan
12-23-2010, 11:55 PM
That was mostly Ben, not Arians

Arians presumably called the empty backfield set - Arians is addicted to that formation on first down in the red zone like a 16 year old hooker is addicted to crack

And Ben said he went to Arians before the Jets game to not try and score on every play inside the 20 - IMO the plays called for the first read to be going to the end zone

cubanstogie
12-24-2010, 12:31 AM
Arians presumably called the empty backfield set - Arians is addicted to that formation on first down in the red zone like a 16 year old hooker is addicted to crack

And Ben said he went to Arians before the Jets game to not try and score on every play inside the 20 - IMO the plays called for the first read to be going to the end zone

you can't even take a bye week when it comes to bashing BA even though we won 27-3, something tells me even after a SB win you will be bittching. Except for putting Moore in the game he didn't nothing to deserve criticism. Moore should be replaced by Redman and I don't even know for sure if thats BA or Tomlins call.

Whodis
12-24-2010, 07:56 AM
you can't even take a bye week when it comes to bashing BA even though we won 27-3, something tells me even after a SB win you will be bittching. Except for putting Moore in the game he didn't nothing to deserve criticism. Moore should be replaced by Redman and I don't even know for sure if thats BA or Tomlins call.

Sir, should we stop fighting terroism just because there isn't an attack?

To stop bashing Arians after beating the lowly Panthers is unAmerican!

Moore is Arians call.......

Atlanta Dan
12-24-2010, 08:40 AM

I am repeating the same criticisms the commentators made during the possession at the end of the first half and observing that Roethlisberger said prior to the Jets game that the Steelers needed to quit trying to go for the TD on every red zone play - so much for that change in offensive philosophy

It is not as if I am the only person complaining about the abysmal red zone results

A down note was that once again the offense could have been more efficient and not left as many points on the field. The Steelers ineffectiveness inside the 20-yard line is a concern. They were in the red zone four times in the first half and produced only one touchdown.

http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog

failures in the red zone -- two TDs in six trips -- continue to haunt the offense, even though didn't matter in this game.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10358/1113244-66.stm

I guess Bob Smizik and Gerry Dulac should quit bitching as well and just cheer a win over one of the worst teams in the league

If they win the SB I will not be bitching about Arians - if they continue to have problems scoring TDs in the red zone there is no possibiity of me hving an opportunity to do so

That having been said, Merry Christmas:chuckle::drink:

wnyBob
12-24-2010, 10:03 AM
Sir, should we stop fighting terroism just because there isn't an attack?

To stop bashing Arians after beating the lowly Panthers is unAmerican!

lol

From today’s Post Gazette:

"We left a lot out there," Roethlisberger said. "We should have scored more points”

“The one problem the Steelers had Thursday night is one that has dogged them all season -- scoring touchdowns inside the opponent's 20. They were just 2 for 6 against Carolina and on two of those occasions did not score at all -- “ Ed Bouchette

"We are far from perfect but we were good enough to win tonight," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said "We'll just continue to look at the areas where we fall short and hopefully improve and push forward to next week."

“However, failures in the red zone -- two TDs in six trips -- continue to haunt the offense, even though didn't matter in this game.” Report Card

And aside from the painful red zone issue there is the issue of many weeks just struggling to get down the field, like run when we aren’t running and low percentage down field passes where if you strike it rich great but if you don’t it’s another punt. I usually don’t get so into it that I’m mentally drawing up plays for them although some holes or missed opportunities are painfully obvious and so much so that they are pointed out by many other posters like a full back or blocking back and I’ll leave it up to them to diagnose. I prefer to just look at the final work or results or in Arians case lack of. But the one area and just one small example that I frequently think of as we go x plays and punt, x plays and punt is where is the dink and dunk that always works so successfully against us and NE for example has perfected while they patiently wait for the big play chances? Obviously every defense won’t give you that opportunity, but many do or for at least awhile until it quits working then change up. If I remember correctly it was the New Orleans game where they put 7 or more on the line of scrimmage and completely blew Arians mind and he never recovered or adjusted. We scored 10 points. Well in games coming up after the Cleveland game, 10 or even 17 points ain’t going to cut it. And we won't be playing the Panthers.

Enjoy your weekend Happy Holidays Merry Christmas all

Whodis
12-24-2010, 02:42 PM
lol

From today’s Post Gazette:

"We left a lot out there," Roethlisberger said. "We should have scored more points”

“The one problem the Steelers had Thursday night is one that has dogged them all season -- scoring touchdowns inside the opponent's 20. They were just 2 for 6 against Carolina and on two of those occasions did not score at all -- “ Ed Bouchette

"We are far from perfect but we were good enough to win tonight," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said "We'll just continue to look at the areas where we fall short and hopefully improve and push forward to next week."

“However, failures in the red zone -- two TDs in six trips -- continue to haunt the offense, even though didn't matter in this game.” Report Card

And aside from the painful red zone issue there is the issue of many weeks just struggling to get down the field, like run when we aren’t running and low percentage down field passes where if you strike it rich great but if you don’t it’s another punt. I usually don’t get so into it that I’m mentally drawing up plays for them although some holes or missed opportunities are painfully obvious and so much so that they are pointed out by many other posters like a full back or blocking back and I’ll leave it up to them to diagnose. I prefer to just look at the final work or results or in Arians case lack of. But the one area and just one small example that I frequently think of as we go x plays and punt, x plays and punt is where is the dink and dunk that always works so successfully against us and NE for example has perfected while they patiently wait for the big play chances? Obviously every defense won’t give you that opportunity, but many do or for at least awhile until it quits working then change up. If I remember correctly it was the New Orleans game where they put 7 or more on the line of scrimmage and completely blew Arians mind and he never recovered or adjusted. We scored 10 points. Well in games coming up after the Cleveland game, 10 or even 17 points ain’t going to cut it. And we won't be playing the Panthers.

Enjoy your weekend Happy Holidays Merry Christmas all

nice collage ^

ricardisimo
12-24-2010, 04:13 PM
Kubiak though does have an impressive record of having 2 superbowl rings as OC and the Texans offense is not that bad.
Arians has two rings as well (one as OC) for the record. I think Bob Ligashesky might have two as well. I'm not sure that's the first thing to be searching for.

Besides, Kubiak already has a job. What you're say is that you're eager to hire someone that is doing a horrific enough job that you are certain he'll be fired at the end of the year. :huh: What a catch.

ricardisimo
12-24-2010, 04:15 PM
And you must be the least-traveled web surfer "every". If this is the most useless thread, Western civilization is much better off than I had been led to believe.

lionslicer
12-24-2010, 04:30 PM
Why is this a sticky?

mesaSteeler
12-24-2010, 04:57 PM
One way you can tell that Arians sucks is that his name never comes up in any conversation for head coaching vacancies. Often in the past the names of Steeler coordinators would be mentioned as potential head coaches. Not so for R2P2 which tells me that he is not respected around the league.

ricardisimo
12-24-2010, 05:25 PM
Why is this a sticky?
Because the issue simply will not go away until he does. We should have had a Ligashesky sticky like this one. Would have saved a lot of heartache for the mods.

SH-Rock
12-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Hmm seems like Norv Turner is gone this year. He'll be a good pick up.

Whodis
12-27-2010, 03:23 PM
One way you can tell that Arians sucks is that his name never comes up in any conversation for head coaching vacancies. Often in the past the names of Steeler coordinators would be mentioned as potential head coaches. Not so for R2P2 which tells me that he is not respected around the league.

Another way you can tell Arians sucks is that no matter how much writers tell him whats wrong with the offense, he continues to do the same dumb shit week after week.

Will he pick up Willie Parker to replace Moore so we have a shitty RB to put in on 3rd down or the end of the game?

wnyBob
12-27-2010, 05:25 PM
I asked Santa for a new offense Coord. He left a gift card for one with a note that said "use it in late February or March". lol

SH-Rock
12-28-2010, 02:10 PM
Fans plan rally against Gary Kubiak

A pair of Houston Texans fans who believe coach Gary Kubiak should be fired are organizing a rally for Sunday to make their point, the Houston Chronicle reported.

Fans Brad White and Scott Carter are hoping the demonstration before Sunday's season finale against the Jacksonville Jaguars will help convince team owner Bob McNair to change coaches, according to the report.

"I want to stress that I don't want people to come out to bash Kubiak," White told the Chronicle. "We don't want vulgar signs out there. We're not there to bash him. We're there to say that we want a change."

The Texans, who this season were thought to have their best chance of finally reaching the playoffs, instead have struggled to a 5-10 record.

"Five years has been enough," White said of Kubiak's coaching tenure in Houston, according to the report. "We've regressed this year. Minus a couple players, we believe the players aren't responding to [the coaching staff] anymore."

Kubiak's contract runs through the 2012 season, and McNair offered a vote of confidence for his coach two weeks ago -- after the team rallied from 21 points down to tie, but eventually lose, a Monday night game to Baltimore.

With Sunday's loss to Denver, Kubiak's record slipped to 36-43 through five seasons.

The Texans' defense ranks 29th overall and last against the pass, allowing 277 yards per game. Houston also has allowed 32 touchdown passes and 17 pass plays covering at least 40 yards, both league highs, and most of those defensive breakdowns have occurred in the fourth quarter.

The Texans have led or been tied in the fourth quarter of seven of their past eight games, and lost all but one of those.

Kubiak learned about the rally during his weekly news conference Monday, according to the report.

"It's part of my job, and I understand that," he said, according to the report. "I came here to win games and do a job to win games. That's what Bob [McNair] pays me to do. It's not a lack of effort and work, and it won't be this week, neither. So, I'm OK with all that."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5962120

PhantomJB93
12-28-2010, 02:53 PM
There is a HUGE difference between head coaching and offensive/defensive coordinating. A lot of these people you guys are laughing at and dismissing as possible Arians replacements because they suck as HCs would actually be genius OCs.

For instance look at Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel. Both sucked as HCs and were ridiculed as some of the worst HCs in recent history. But give them their respective coordinating positions and they give the Cheifs one of the league's deadliest and most efficient offenses, a vastly improved defense, and take them form 4-12 to a division championship and playoff spot.

I would not be upset with somebody like Norv Turner or Kubiak or even Josh Mcdaniels as an offensive coordinator. As anything MORE than an OC, there would be problems, but as an OC any of them could be great and a huge improvement over Arians.

Heeeeeeeath
12-28-2010, 03:05 PM
^ Could not agree more.

LVSteelersfan
12-28-2010, 05:20 PM
Don't even blaspheme and mention a Belicheat disciple as a possible coordinator. We don't need that trash in this organization. I think Norv might be good as OC and not a Head Coach. He gets that offense moving pretty well. Just too many injuries for Rivers to overcome to get them to the playoffs.

There is a HUGE difference between head coaching and offensive/defensive coordinating. A lot of these people you guys are laughing at and dismissing as possible Arians replacements because they suck as HCs would actually be genius OCs.

For instance look at Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel. Both sucked as HCs and were ridiculed as some of the worst HCs in recent history. But give them their respective coordinating positions and they give the Cheifs one of the league's deadliest and most efficient offenses, a vastly improved defense, and take them form 4-12 to a division championship and playoff spot.

I would not be upset with somebody like Norv Turner or Kubiak or even Josh Mcdaniels as an offensive coordinator. As anything MORE than an OC, there would be problems, but as an OC any of them could be great and a huge improvement over Arians.

Whodis
12-29-2010, 08:05 AM
Bouchette Chat :rofl:

Is tnhere anything to the rumor that Arians is being considered for a head coaching job?

Ed Bouchette: First time I've heard it.

TOMK
12-30-2010, 11:52 PM
arians has to go. his play calling sucks. does anyone know if tomlin has final say on the play called. ben has been around long enough. lets go back to old football and let the qb call the plays. he has got the feeling for the game going on.same thing going on in baseball someone calling the pitches from the dugout, let the guy in the game call the plays. what do you guys think?

TOMK
12-31-2010, 12:06 AM
im for that does tomlin have any say in his play caling. ben is in the game lets go back to the qb calling the plays

ricardisimo
12-31-2010, 12:46 AM
As I recall, the Steelers were one of the last teams regularly to let the QB call his own plays, and unless I'm mistaken, Mark Malone was that quarterback. It didn't work out too well that time, but given how badly Bruce does it, and Tomlin's reticence towards doing it himself... well, why not Ben?

The very last team to do it had to be Jim Kelly's Bills, right? That worked out pretty well (minus the four SB losses, that is). :nervous:

PhantomJB93
12-31-2010, 03:01 AM
As I recall, the Steelers were one of the last teams regularly to let the QB call his own plays, and unless I'm mistaken, Mark Malone was that quarterback. It didn't work out too well that time, but given how badly Bruce does it, and Tomlin's reticence towards doing it himself... well, why not Ben?

The very last team to do it had to be Jim Kelly's Bills, right? That worked out pretty well (minus the four SB losses, that is). :nervous:

Well I think you're forgetting Peyton Manning (they have an OC in Indy but Peyton's the one who runs the offense and calls 95% of the plays, the OC is just there to stand around and look important)

ricardisimo
12-31-2010, 04:05 AM
Well I think you're forgetting Peyton Manning (they have an OC in Indy but Peyton's the one who runs the offense and calls 95% of the plays, the OC is just there to stand around and look important)
I'm not sure that's true. If you go back and look at pretty much any Indy game, between plays you'll always see him standing with his hands over his earholes, blocking out the crowd noise so he can hear Tom Moore (or whoever the OC is there nowadays) via the wireless in his helmet. You can claim that Peyton doesn't have to obey, but he's certainly listening to the calls from the sideline.

MasterOfPuppets
12-31-2010, 04:35 AM
I'm not sure that's true. If you go back and look at pretty much any Indy game, between plays you'll always see him standing with his hands over his earholes, blocking out the crowd noise so he can hear Tom Moore (or whoever the OC is there nowadays) via the wireless in his helmet. You can claim that Peyton doesn't have to obey, but he's certainly listening to the calls from the sideline.
i'm sure peyton lets him make "suggestions" , kinda like a catcher , pitcher, relationship in baseball.
i'll never forget the game where dungy sent the punting unit out on a 4th down , and peyton sent em back to the sidelines...:toofunny:... it was pretty clear from that point on who was running things in indy.

lionslicer
12-31-2010, 05:53 AM
i'm sure peyton lets him make "suggestions" , kinda like a catcher , pitcher, relationship in baseball.
i'll never forget the game where dungy sent the punting unit out on a 4th down , and peyton sent em back to the sidelines...:toofunny:... it was pretty clear from that point on who was running things in indy.

I remember that, and one a sunday night game for the steelers, Dungy had the nerve to say "I always made the final call when it came to anything not Peyton" Him sending the punt team back was the first thing that popped into my head.

Peyton definitally listens to suggestions, but he has the last call on the field on what to do. But I think the OC's (there are 2) are telling him more about what happened on the last play with blitzes, and other things that Peyton needs to know. A call in might be something like this

"Alright they blitzed the middle linebacker in the 2 gap in a run blitz, we should use the same formation but play action to a tightend, try so and so play and see what you get, they are using a base a 4-2-5 set, so and so running back is in instead of the starter"

And Peyton might call the play or not, then once he gets behind center, he wont be surprised by the formation or anything and he'll know the the defense is trying to do with a better understanding. He'll also know his personel on the field.

wnyBob
12-31-2010, 01:21 PM
From today's Post Gazette:

"Polamalu delivered three game-turning plays this season on consecutive weeks. He intercepted a pass at the 2 late in the game that prevented Buffalo from winning Nov. 28. He caused a fumble when he sacked quarterback Joe Flacco in Baltimore Dec. 5 that set up the winning touchdown with 2:51 left. His interception for a touchdown in the second quarter Dec. 12 erased a 7-0 Cincinnati lead, and the Steelers went on to a 23-7 victory."

I wonder if Arians has the nerve to keep his entire paycheck or if he shares it with either the entire Defense and Dick L or just Troy in those cases along with a cut to his ad libbing QB that bales him out also when he can? lol With the exception of the Jets game where the defense did their best to keep him in the game but Ben's luck ran out. You gotta be able to score more that 17 points on any given sunday to pull it out and waiting until the last minute isn't exactly the best strategy to do it.

Whodis
12-31-2010, 04:23 PM
It has to be a felony when Arians cashes his check?

The best thing that could happen in the playoff would be a dead mic in Ben's helmet.

mesaSteeler
12-31-2010, 05:24 PM
It has to be a felony when Arians cashes his check?

The best thing that could happen in the playoff would be a dead mic in Ben's helmet.

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

mesaSteeler
12-31-2010, 05:46 PM
An open letter to Bruce Arians,

Dear Bruce,

Please stay in Clowntown after the next game. There should be an opening for a head coach there and you would fit right in with the rest of whining losers such as the GM Mike Holmgren. You truly are hated and despised in the burgh and you would be much happier with your fellow brownstains. If fact if you promise to stay in clown town I'm sure we can get up a collection to help pay for moving your one comic book and your "NFL Offensive game plans for Idiots" book. .

And if you were to become head coach for the Clowns we would be happy to beat the brown out you and your clowns twice a year so you would not feel homesick.

Just think of it. All you have to do is win one game a year and you be proclaimed a genius by the local media. I'm sure they will appreciate your brilliant offense scheming unlike the ignorant Steelers fans who just don't understand why you want to pass the in the red zone when the field is frozen and into a 30 mile in hour wind. You would even be the smartest person in the Clowns locker room.

So you see Brucie there is no downside not to stay in Clowntown with the rest of losers. Just forget to get on the team bus and I'm sure the clowines will welcome an offensive (double entendre intended) "genius" like you with open arms.

Best Regards,

Steeler Nation

SH-Rock
01-02-2011, 06:07 PM
I heard KC needs a new OC.

rich4eagle
01-03-2011, 12:55 AM
I think he gets it.......and most fans as usual do not get it

Today, the Steelers exhibited great offense

Give credit to someone else

and besides The OC just does what the head coach tells him to do

wnyBob
01-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Holy touchdowns batman. lol Ok this sucks but I was traveling on a plane on Sunday. On landing in Chicago for a layover I beat it to a TV and low and behold the Steelers were on with 5 minutes left in the game 41 to 9. I was Holy Cow I picked a game to miss, with scores no less, there’s a concept. The first thing I thought of was they fired Arians before the game and got a 10 year old Mighty Might Midget league player to call the plays. lol What’s the recap? Were we good, lucky, some of both, all the stars aligned just right for the scores? And it was the clowns after all. Should have done that to Buffalo, and, and, and. . . The Post Gazette gave the scoring highlights but didn’t mention any real good sustained drives of just beating them up, up and down the field. The Post Gazette did point out that Arians running game was dynamic as usual. NOT! I’ve always said when he calls a game and it works, it works. But when a defensive coordinator gets his number, he’s cooked. Cleveland obviously didn't match up on Sunday. I’ll definitely not take away from a great game at a much needed time. kudos to the entire team. I'm as thrilled and pumped as anyone. But I’m not holding out any hope that Bruce has seen the light and finally become an offensive genius.

ricardisimo
01-03-2011, 05:02 PM
I'm openly giving kudos to whoever called this last game, and I have no reason to believe it was not Bruce. That said, Tomlin should have pulled the starters at the half, or maybe even earlier. That was stupid.

cubanstogie
01-03-2011, 06:17 PM
I'm openly giving kudos to whoever called this last game, and I have no reason to believe it was not Bruce. That said, Tomlin should have pulled the starters at the half, or maybe even earlier. That was stupid.

I didn't understand why they were left in so long, but then again I wanted Troy to rest the whole game. I realized after the Browns first possession I was probably wrong. I think we would have won anyway but the guy is incredible and if healthy he needs to be on the field.

mesaSteeler
01-03-2011, 07:19 PM

THIS^

Fire Arians
01-03-2011, 08:27 PM
oh it was bruce. however, a pop warner coach could have called an offensive gameplan and succeeded against that much of an overmatched opponent. let's see him do it against a good defense other than the ravens before we praise him.

hopefully he has enough genius in him to score 30+ against new england, because we'll need that.

Heeeeeeeath
01-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Lets take a look at the offenses for the AFC Playoff teams and how the Steelers compare to them.

- Steelers: 479 passing attempts, 43 sacks, 471 rushing attempts, 993 offensive snaps
That's a 47.4% Rushing to 52.6% passing ratio

Let's compare that to the other playoff teams in the AFC

- Chiefs: 475 passing attempts, 32 sacks, 556 rushing attempts, 1063 offensive snaps
That's a 52.3% Rushing to 47.7% Passing ratio

- Jets: 525 passing attempts, 28 sacks, 534 rushing attempts, 1087 offensive snaps
That's a 49.1% Rushing to 50.9% passing ratio

- Ravens: 491 passing attempts, 40 sacks, 487 rushing attempts, 1018 offensive snaps
That's a 47.8% Rushing to 52.2% Passing Ratio

- Patriots: 507 passing attempts, 25 sacks, 454 rushing attempts, 986 offensive snaps
That's a 46.0% Rushing to 54.0% Passing ratio

- Colts: 679 passing attempts, 16 sacks, 393 rushing attempts, 1088 offensive snaps
That's a 36.1% Rushing to 63.9% Passing ratio

So the Steelers end up right in the middle of that list, just behind the Ravens in rushing%.

However, being that the Steelers were without Roethlisberger for the first 4 games, naturally they leaned more heavily on the run. In those 4 games, the Steelers attempted 123 rushes, and only 81 passes. That's a 61.3% Rushing to 39.7% Passing ratio. However, we know that (because of Arians) if Roethlisberger HAD played those first 4 games, that the results would almost quite literally be directly opposite that. The Steelers are a pass-first team, that was stated by Roethlisberger himself several times over the past few years.

If Roethlisberger had played the first 4 games of the season, the overall season ratio of our offense would have been 56.6% pass to 44.4 % run.

Right here is the problem with why our offense lacks consistency. Yes, sometimes they have great displays like those against the Buccaneers and Browns... but the Browns gave up on that game... they did not honestly give a crap. With the talent we have, we could have games like those more often, though. Our Offensive Line is not built to pass protect 35-40 times a game, they are built for a power running game. When you have a big, beefy, mauling OL drop into pass protection 35-40 times a game, sometimes the result naturally are not going to be good... this is common sense, yet, Arians, as we know, surely lacks that at times.

My suggestion? Abandon all of this shotgun 4 WR nonsense. It's a total waste of Mendenhall's talent and puts Ben in some bad spots. You may say, wait, what about all of these young WR? With the emergence of Mike Wallace, and with rookies Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown showing promise, I think the formation that the Steelers need to consider as a base formation is I-Formation 3 WR. Put a FB back in the backfield to block for Mendenhall and still give a huge threat to pass. I-Form 3 WR is a tough formation to defend because you can call equal amounts of run and pass from it. Perhaps it would help Arians get over his case of highly predictable playcalling. And yes, I know this formation would mean Heath Miller would be off the field, but that's why I said use I-Form 3 WR as a base/main set. You can take a WR out and add Heath in any time you like to make it I-Form 2 WR 1 TE. Just throwing ideas out here, feel free to tell me I'm wrong and to shut up. lol

wnyBob
01-08-2011, 06:55 PM
You put some time in typing out the stats. Here's one of yours where I see a red flag is the number of offensive snaps. Us and the Pats are the fewest. Ours because of lack of sustained drives, The Pats because they score and score and score and . . . . .. Then the other teams in the middle with more snaps indicating they put together more sustained drives.

Honestly I'm not wacko over our ratio pass to run. Usually it is more of the timing of the choices that drive you crazy. But Bruces lack of either innovation or being able to adjust gets us in the most trouble. Some weeks it almost seems like he'll run the same old plays over and over whether they work or not after a defense makes adjustments, rather than making his own mid-game adjustments. I'd like to see us run it down everyone's throat too, but there is another problem, when has he tweaked his running game or tried anything new?

Whodis
01-09-2011, 09:27 AM
My suggestion? Abandon all of this shotgun 4 WR nonsense. It's a total waste of Mendenhall's talent and puts Ben in some bad spots. You may say, wait, what about all of these young WR? With the emergence of Mike Wallace, and with rookies Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown showing promise, I think the formation that the Steelers need to consider as a base formation is I-Formation 3 WR. Put a FB back in the backfield to block for Mendenhall and still give a huge threat to pass. I-Form 3 WR is a tough formation to defend because you can call equal amounts of run and pass from it. Perhaps it would help Arians get over his case of highly predictable playcalling. And yes, I know this formation would mean Heath Miller would be off the field, but that's why I said use I-Form 3 WR as a base/main set. You can take a WR out and add Heath in any time you like to make it I-Form 2 WR 1 TE.

I agree, it's like Ben is a sitting duck back there, waiting for LB's to tee off on him. I really love the 4 WR set on 3rd and 1. WTF He's such a trickster

JackHammer
01-09-2011, 03:32 PM

Josh McDaniels?? How much cheating has he been involved with???? No thanks.

wnyBob
01-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Must have been in another thread, someone said Ben lobbied to keep Arians going into this year. There could be some truth to that, yet the brain thrust generally gets focused and determined when they do make a decision and not worry about a player opinion or popularity. I could see Ben lobbying because the one thing that Arians does do is allow him to ad-lib, but of course that's because it saves Arian's butt and bales him out, time after time. But somewhere out there is a potential OC that would recognize Ben's talent to get out of trouble and not rein him in, yet still call a good innovative game designed each week for the particular opponent and be able to adjust and change up mid-game if the defense throws in a different twist.

Fire Arians
01-15-2011, 07:30 PM
up by 3 points, chance to put the game out of 1 score reach in a playoff game with momentum on our side. 2 runs up the middle?

give em great field position, might as well just have given em 3 points for free

mesaSteeler
01-15-2011, 08:01 PM
Once again LeBeau saves Arians. If we had even a half way competent OC we would be unstoppable.

Fire Arians
01-15-2011, 08:01 PM
arians still sucks! if not for ben, he would have already been out of the job

Kanata-Steeler
01-15-2011, 08:14 PM
arians still sucks! if not for ben, he would have already been out of the job

I know you meant because of "D/LeBeau" we actually won most of the games this season, and not just becuase of Ben. uhh ya eh?
LeBeau has saved Ariens' butt -not Ben.
As far as Ariens, -he proved today he must be fired.
Our Offense (and yes Ben included) cost us -17 points like wtf is that ?
That is horrible.

Ben needs a good Offensive co-ordinator/Coach/Mentor to really improve

mesaSteeler
01-15-2011, 10:52 PM
(I'm giving this it's own thread so people can see how stupid the Airhead is and stop defending the fool. We would be better off if Airhead were fired tomorrow and Big Ben called all the plays. - mesa)
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2011/01/15/ben-roethlisbergers-play-call-antonio-browns-catch-carry-stee/

Ben Roethlisberger's Play Call, Antonio Brown's Catch Carry Steelers
By Dan Graziano

Senior NFL Writer | Follow on Twitter: @DanGrazianoAOL

Antonio Brown made the catch of the year in the Steelers' playoff victory over the Ravens.PITTSBURGH -- The play that came in from the sideline called for the outside receivers to run 15-yard "stop" routes, but Ben Roethlisberger didn't like the math. He knew it was third-and-19, and that 15 yards wouldn't do it.

(Airhead called a 15 yard pass play on third and 19!:banging::banging::banging: Anyone who defends the Airhead's is a dumber than he is! The f'n fool Airhead would have lost us this game. - mesa)

So in the huddle, with 2:07 left in a playoff game that was tied 24-24, the Steelers' quarterback changed the call. Roethlisberger looked at those outside receivers, Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown, and told them to run "go" routes -- as far as they could, as fast as they could.

This was, of course, music to the receivers' ears, and it was Brown who turned it into magic. He got past his man, Lardarius Webb, ran down the right sideline under Roethlisberger's perfect throw and caught it with one hand up against his outside shoulder for a 58-yard gain. That set up Rashard Mendenhall's short touchdown run, which set the final score and sent the Steelers to the AFC championship game with a breathless 31-24 comeback victory over the Baltimore Ravens.

"Putting Baltimore out, having them thinking about us all offseason, it doesn't get any better than that," Steelers receiver Hines Ward said.

It wasn't easy. The Ravens took advantage of two Pittsburgh turnovers to reach halftime with a 21-7 lead. But a Ray Rice fumble early in the third quarter sent the momentum roaring back the way of the home team, and the Steelers' defense locked down a jittery Joe Flacco all through the second half.

Pittsburgh went ahead 24-21 early in the fourth, only to see Baltimore come right back and tie it with a field goal. So with the two-minute warning rushing toward them in a chippy, physical, trash-talk-heavy game between two rivals that can't stand each other, Roethlisberger decided it was time for extreme measures. Worst that happened, he figured, was an interception that would have roughly equated to a punt.

"We loved hearing it," Wallace said of Roethlisberger's play call. "We didn't want to play it safe."

"I saw him even with his man. And I know, if he's even, he's leavin'."
-- Ben Roethlisberger on Antonio Brown The Steelers broke that huddle fired up by their quarterback's chutzpah, but there was plenty of work yet to be done. Roethlisberger first had to assess the defense. The first purple number he looked for was 20, and he found it over on Wallace's side.

"Ed Reed lined up to the left," Roethlisberger said. "I figured it's always good to know where he's at. After that, it was make sure and keep the safety on the inside slot guy, and then just hope I can throw it far enough."

Over on the left side, Wallace saw the coverage and figured the ball wouldn't be coming his way. The fastest, most dangerous, most electric player on Pittsburgh's offense, he wasn't surprised to see the Ravens dedicate an extra man to him when the only outcome they couldn't accept was a deep pass completion.

"On third-and-19," Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs said, "you can give up 18."

But over on the right side, Antonio Brown, a rookie the Steelers took with the 195th overall pick in last April's draft, knew he was going way past 18. He took off alongside Webb and, very soon, knew he'd beaten him.

"I think he was kind of sitting a little bit, and he was kind of reading the quarterback, and by the time he realized what was going on, I was two, three yards behind him," Brown said.

Wallace, watching from across the field, saw the separation and had one thought: "Catch the ball. Please."

Roethlisberger saw it earlier.

"I saw him even with his man," Roethlisberger said. "And I know, if he's even, he's leavin'."

So Roethlisberger heaved it -- a perfect deep ball to Brown's right shoulder, where only he could catch it. Brown pinned the ball against his right shoulder with one hand and immediately thought of his feet. He knew he was near the end zone and wanted it badly, but he skittered instead out of bounds at the Baltimore 4, and that was plenty good enough.

"On that play, I know we've just got options on either side," Brown said. "I'm just glad Ben trusted me."

To hear Ben tell it, that was never an issue. The fact that Brown caught just 16 balls for 167 yards during the regular season -- that he was inactive for nine of the team's first 11 games -- none of that mattered. Brown and fellow rookie Emmanuel Sanders had been coming on at the end of the season. Roethlisberger and the rest of the team practice with them every day. Brown might have been a surprise to the rest of us as the target on the play of the game, but it didn't feel weird to his teammates. Somebody told Roethlisberger that Brown didn't think he'd be the target there.

"Well, that speaks volumes for him, to be ready, then," Roethlisberger said. "He stepped up big when his number was called, and he made a play."

Brown said he spent those inactive weeks all through September and October thinking about a moment like this, working as hard as he could in practice and believing he'd eventually matter in the Steelers' offense. Of his 16 catches, 14 came over the final five weeks, as he and Sanders became more involved.

"I might have come on late, but here I am," Brown said. "I'm a part of something special -- something that's bigger than me. I can tell my kids, my grandkids I made a play like that in the playoffs for the Pittsburgh Steelers. That's special, to be a part of that."

It was that kind of a day. Whether it was James Harrison making sacks or Ryan Clark wreaking havoc in the secondary or Rashard Mendenhall picking up tough yards, the Steelers hung together and came back. And there wasn't a man in their locker room who didn't feel great about it.

"Every man in a helmet was a potential playmaker," head coach Mike Tomlin said. "Right down to Antonio Brown on third and a long, long way."

mesaSteeler
01-15-2011, 10:55 PM
C'mon Airhead defenders tell me how great he is now! 15 yard pass plays when it's third and 19! Game,set, and match Airhead defenders you lose.

lionslicer
01-15-2011, 11:08 PM
I didn't know there were any Arian defenders left on this board...
I'll say this, he had some good calls today, but I'd still like to see a different OC in the future, but if the Steelers win a superbowl, expect him to be around for awhile unless he gets a head coaching job. Even if they don't, Steelers were 12-4 and are in the AFC championship, not really worthy of firing him.

mesaSteeler
01-15-2011, 11:09 PM
I'll say this, he had some good calls today, but I'd still like to see a different OC in the future, but if the Steelers win a superbowl, expect him to be around for awhile unless he gets a head coaching job. Even if they don't, Steelers were 12-4 and are in the AFC championship, not really worthy of firing him.

Talk to platypus he thinks Airhead is God.

tony hipchest
01-15-2011, 11:11 PM
"arians airheads" will just note how the steelers defense gave up 24 points (ignoring the 2 turnovers) and blame lebeau for nearly giving the game away.

they will defend arians at any cost to the bitter end.

with that being said, i do think arians has shown improvement from last year. had mendenhall and ben not fumbled we could easilly look back and say it was a damn good called game.

the first drive was the best i had seen all year vs an impressive defense.

Fire Arians
01-15-2011, 11:11 PM
look at my screen name and ask me what i think lol

mesaSteeler
01-15-2011, 11:12 PM
"arians airheads" will just note how the steelers defense gave up 24 points (ignoring the 2 turnovers) and blame lebeau for nearly giving the game away.

they will defend arians at any cost to the bitter end.

with that being said, i do think arians has shown improvement from last year. had mendenhall and ben not fumbled we could easilly look back and say it was a damn good called game.

the first drive was the best i had seen all year vs an impressive defense.

How much of it was Ben and how much of it was Airhead? I'd like to know the answer to that.

Fire Arians
01-15-2011, 11:14 PM
How much of it was Ben and how much of it was Airhead? I'd like to know the answer to that.

40% ben
60% brown
0% arians

Chadmagic
01-15-2011, 11:17 PM

We are now 13-4 DESPITE him. Not because of him. Ben has prob changed the play at the line hundreds of times to save us.

lionslicer
01-15-2011, 11:21 PM
We are now 13-4 DESPITE him. Not because of him. Ben has prob changed the play at the line hundreds of times to save us.

Yeah, but the OC for the Colts could be terrible, but because Manning calls and changes 95% of the plays (Manning even coaches recievers), he's never been fired or has even been in the hot seat.
As long as Ben has good seasons, Arians job wont be in trouble, even if he doesn't call a single play.

theplatypus
01-15-2011, 11:28 PM
Talk to platypus he thinks Airhead is God.

Don't get pissed at me because you bailed on this team. So what if he called a 15 yard pass. Did your crystal ball tell you that they couldn't pick up 4 more yards if the pass was completed or that it wouldn't go in for a td? No matter what a 15 yard pass has a better chance of being completed than a bomb for 60. If it makes you feel better to call me an airhead then I'm fine with it. HERE WE GO STEELERS!!!!!

mesaSteeler
01-15-2011, 11:34 PM
Absolutely correct!

mesaSteeler
01-15-2011, 11:53 PM
Don't get pissed at me because you bailed on this team. So what if he called a 15 yard pass. Did your crystal ball tell you that they couldn't pick up 4 more yards if the pass was completed or that it wouldn't go in for a td? No matter what a 15 yard pass has a better chance of being completed than a bomb for 60. If it makes you feel better to call me an airhead then I'm fine with it. HERE WE GO STEELERS!!!!!

So what if he called a 15 yard pass

Are you serious!!!!!

Assuming that the pass was even completed we would have been 4th and four! Didn't you notice the Ratbird dropped 8 and rushed 3? Do you think a receiver could have made any progress even if they had caught it? The odds would have been very very low.

More likely it would have intercepted since Ben would have been trowing into double and triple coverage. The only reason Ben's play worked was that Brown out ran the coverage which not have happened on a 15 yard pass play!

And yet you still you defend this fool rather than admit you are wrong. You are not worth my time. Where is that ignore function? Feel free to do the same I won't mind at all. Bye Bye.

As long as Airhead is OC I have no faith that we can win. We got damn lucky tonight. We won in-spite of Airhead not because of him. The Airhead lives off of LeBeau's defense and Ben's heroics.

Depending on your opponent to totally meltdown is a bad way to win. Sooner, like next week, the opponent won't melt down and then what? Airhead will do something idiotic like call 15 yard pass play when it's 3rd and 19 against double or triple coverage and we will be screwed!

Against a competent team like the Cheats we would not have won tonight.

Ah well good night for now. I have to finish cooking my swordfish in white wine sauce and shallots. I will return after I finish eating to post any articles.

theplatypus
01-16-2011, 12:01 AM
Really? You're arguing with me in multiple threads after an awesome come from behind victory. You really need to get some perspective.

cubanstogie
01-16-2011, 12:10 AM
Are you serious!!!!!

Assuming that the pass was even completed we would have been 4th and four! Didn't you notice the Ratbird dropped 8 and rushed 3? Do you think a receiver could have made any progress even if they had caught it? The odds would have been very very low.

More likely it would have intercepted since Ben would have been trowing into double and triple coverage. The only reason Ben's play worked was that Brown out ran the coverage which not have happened on a 15 yard pass play!

And yet you still you defend this fool rather than admit you are wrong. You are not worth my time. Where is that ignore function? Feel free to do the same I won't mind at all. Bye Bye.

As long as Airhead is OC I have no faith that we can win. We got damn lucky tonight. We won in-spite of Airhead not because of him. The Airhead lives off of LeBeau's defense and Ben's heroics.

Depending on your opponent to totally meltdown is a bad way to win. Sooner, like next week, the opponent won't melt down and then what? Airhead will do something idiotic like call 15 yard pass play when it's 3rd and 19 against double or triple coverage and we will be screwed!

Ah well good night for now. I have to finish cooking my swordfish in white wine sauce and shallots. I will return after I finish eating to post any articles.

Why should he have to admit he was wrong. We scored 31 points off the Ravens D. For the most part the play calling was excellent. The worst call IMO was the first reverse to Wallace when we were driving and it was stopped for a loss. The second reverse I really didn't like but Wallace could should have gone outside and tried to make the corner with his speed. I don't see how BA had a bad game and was bailed out by Ben. Hardly his fault we had 2 turnovers in our own territory. Ben held on to the ball way too long. Which I am fine with since you take the good with the bad. As for the bomb, thats what Ben is paid to do. Was it BA's fault the pass to Sanders just before that was dropped. I have zero problem with BA tonight. He is far from perfect but our red zone is hugely improved, we moved the ball against a great D and won a playoff game despite 2 turnovers leading to 14 points.

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-16-2011, 12:11 AM

While I am no fan of Arians, I have to side with Platypus here.

If it were so wrong to call for the receivers to run 15 yard patterns when you need 19 yards, do you honestly think any screen passes would ever get called in games?

The Ravens were expecting a deep passing attempt, the logical thing to do would be to throw them a little curveball and depend on your WR a little bit to pick up 4 yards after the catch.

cubanstogie
01-16-2011, 12:14 AM
While I am no fan of Arians, I have to side with Platypus here.

If it were so wrong to call for the receivers to run 15 yard patterns when you need 19 yards, do you honestly think any screen passes would ever get called in games?

The Ravens were expecting a deep passing attempt, the logical thing to do would be to throw them a little curveball and depend on your WR a little bit to pick up 4 yards after the catch.

exactly, it was a low percentage pass that was converted. I could see these same guys complaining if it wasn't completed that we went for it all instead of going for the first down. BA does call some bonehead plays but had a good game today. I was shocked when I saw him ridiculed on the board tonight. 31 points against Ravens, 4 for 5 on red zone TDs. much improved.

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-16-2011, 12:17 AM
Are you serious!!!!!

And what are the odds that a QB can throw deep into 8-man coverage and get a completion?

More likely it would have intercepted since Ben would have been trowing into double and triple coverage.

But that is exactly what Ben did on the pass to Brown.

The only reason Ben's play worked was that Brown out ran the coverage which not have happened on a 15 yard pass play!

I wouldn't bank on a rookie receiver outrunning the Raven's coverage too often-- we made a gamble and it worked.

As long as Airhead is OC I have no faith that we can win.

Then that is YOUR problem, not Arians. The fact of the matter is, we DO KEEP WINNING, so all of your points are moot.

We got damn lucky tonight. We won in-spite of Airhead not because of him. The Airhead lives off of LeBeau's defense and Ben's heroics.

Again, I am no fan of Arians, but I can give credit where it is due. He called a good game tonight, with the exception of a couple of plays. We moved the ball well against a stout Raven's defense. We scored 4 of 5 times in the redzone, and turned turnovers into points. Our offense did exactly what it is supposed to do tonight.

Again, give credit where it is due. Objectivity is not a crime.

Depending on your opponent to totally meltdown is a bad way to win.

So is depending on a rookie receiver to outrun one of the best pass defenses in the league....

Yeah, because the Ravens are such pushovers, right?

stb_steeler
01-16-2011, 12:20 AM
Id like to see Ben make more calls in the future. Its a 50/50 shot anyway!

Third Rail
01-16-2011, 12:39 AM
One of the most awesome plays I've ever seen. Glad to hear that it was Ben's idea so I can go on believing 100% that Arians is an idiot, lol.

CaliStillersFan
01-16-2011, 12:45 AM
I kept screaming at the TV for Ben to run the no huddle once we were down 14 just so he could call his own plays. I hate raggin on BA during a playoff run, but this article should be pended for the off season, regardless if it ends in Dallas or not.

SteelKnight
01-16-2011, 01:23 AM

That was funny the way that came out. Yeah...Arians should go. It's hard to fire somebody but I just want someone else.

Excellent article.

I think the Steelers have a chance to beat the Patriots if they use more 4 wide and no huddle. If they can put up 31, they have a chance.

Sixburgher
01-16-2011, 01:26 AM

So who are the two fumbles deep in our own territory on?

toughsticks87
01-16-2011, 02:34 AM
I feel like we've used up a lot of the magic and miracles in Ben that one player is granted throughout their career. What I'm getting at, we shouldn't rely on these miracle plays to win games. Airhead needs to go.

ricardisimo
01-16-2011, 02:49 AM
I agree with Tony. Arians appears to be showing some improvement, which is stunning and much appreciated.

I also agree with mesa. It seems like much of the team's success offensively, particularly in terms of establishing and maintaining a rhythm, was on Ben, not Arians. There were some truly baffling sequences in there, where all I could do was scratch my head.

At one point we were establishing a nice little dink-and-dunk sort of game that was moving the chains steadily down field. And then suddenly it felt like evil Bruce took over, with his typical out-think-yourself approach, as though he really believed "this is working too well, and they're never going to fall for it again... better break out the long balls, bubble screens and gadget plays only." And then we punted. :banging:

But again, I want to stress the positive. We won, and we scored a veritable shitload of points against a pretty good D. I would like nothing more than for Bruce to focus on gameday preparations - which he seems to do fairly well - and hand over the playcalling to Ben.

MasterOfPuppets
01-16-2011, 03:00 AM
I agree with Tony. Arians appears to be showing some improvement, which is stunning and much appreciated.

I also agree with mesa. It seems like much of the team's success offensively, particularly in terms of establishing and maintaining a rhythm, was on Ben, not Arians. There were some truly baffling sequences in there, where all I could do was scratch my head.

At one point we were establishing a nice little dink-and-dunk sort of game that was moving the chains steadily down field. And then suddenly it felt like evil Bruce took over, with his typical out-think-yourself approach, as though he really believed "this is working too well, and they're never going to fall for it again... better break out the long balls, bubble screens and gadget plays only." And then we punted. :banging:

But again, I want to stress the positive. We won, and we scored a veritable shitload of points against a pretty good D. I would like nothing more than for Bruce to focus on gameday preparations - which he seems to do fairly well - and hand over the playcalling to Ben.
that fricken bubble screen with the cb lining up 2 yds off the receiver damned near broke my TV....:banging:

ricardisimo
01-16-2011, 03:14 AM
that fricken bubble screen with the cb lining up 2 yds off the receiver damned near broke my TV....:banging:
Tell me about it. I scared my two-year-old daughter with the grunt/scream that popped out right then. I mean... really? There's no way to have these plays vetted ahead of time? Ben is the only check on these? Really?

We're lucky he was looking at Wallace and not at the ball, because it could easily have been a pick-six instead of a drop for a loss.

kirklandrules
01-16-2011, 06:03 AM
Yeah, but the OC for the Colts could be terrible, but because Manning calls and changes 95% of the plays (Manning even coaches recievers), he's never been fired or has even been in the hot seat.
As long as Ben has good seasons, Arians job wont be in trouble, even if he doesn't call a single play.

It's a huge myth thinking Manning calls all those plays himself. He's getting adjustments fed to the speaker in his helmet while he's under center. The speaker isn't cut off until the ball is snapped.

plenewken
01-16-2011, 08:49 AM

To be objective, we're 13-4 thanks to Lebeau. How many games have we beat the opponent with a great offensive plan and execution, this season?

Less than a handful and last night was another example. How can you call a slow developing play when you're on your 10yds line? No wonder Ben fumbled. Brady would have had the ball out of his hands in 2 secs and hit a 7 or 8 yds pass on 1st down and the same on 2nd down.

zulater
01-16-2011, 11:14 AM
C'mon Airhead defenders tell me how great he is now! 15 yard pass plays when it's third and 19! Game,set, and match Airhead defenders you lose.

I'd ,love to see the reaction if you posted this at the other board mesa. :chuckle:

SH-Rock
01-16-2011, 11:19 AM
It's a huge myth thinking Manning calls all those plays himself. He's getting adjustments fed to the speaker in his helmet while he's under center. The speaker isn't cut off until the ball is snapped.

I've heard the announcers say many times that in No Huddle Big Ben calls all the plays. So it doesn't matter what Manning does or doesn't.

Also one thing, to win the Superbowl you have to take chances. You can't call stop routes on 3rd and 19 when your only up by a FG. Worst thing that could've happened was Ben threw an intercept and they would be at their own 20. True it was a risky call. Instead of going for it all, I personally would've just gone for the first down, but what about Ben. That pass was perfectly thrown. Huge props to Ben. Hey this might just be the stake in Arians's career in Pittsburgh.

wnyBob
01-16-2011, 11:31 AM
I agree with today's Jan 16, 11, posts. 31 points was deceiving. Aside from the first drive that as good, we NEEDED 31 points, it was all catch up mode and Ben doing his thing and forcing his will on his offense and the Ravens. And Arians should have been hung for the series with 6 mins to go, clinging to a 3 point lead against a formidable opponet. He, no we and the team are lucky the tying field goal wasn't 7. And taking nothing against the 3rd and long play at the end, (a terrific play and why we won) BUT how many times has that play or similar been maybe just out of reach, broken up, too close to the sideline, bla bla bla. i.e. worst case scenerio, no points, they still had time to drive for a winning field goal, or their tying field goal could have been 7 and we were behind and lost. Very scary, but a very fortunate turn of events, so who's complaining. lol BUT you're all right, the D and Bens ad-libbing saved us, the team and Arians butt yet again.

plenewken
01-16-2011, 11:45 AM
I've heard the announcers say many times that in No Huddle Big Ben calls all the plays. So it doesn't matter what Manning does or doesn't.

Also one thing, to win the Superbowl you have to take chances. You can't call stop routes on 3rd and 19 when your only up by a FG. Worst thing that could've happened was Ben threw an intercept and they would be at their own 20. True it was a risky call. Instead of going for it all, I personally would've just gone for the first down, but what about Ben. That pass was perfectly thrown. Huge props to Ben. Hey this might just be the stake in Arians's career in Pittsburgh.

The no-huddle play ending up with a delay of game penalty was not very smart. As for Arians,it's time to send him back to Leaveland after another poorly called game, especially in the 1st half, but the performance of the Defense will probably bail him out once again.

4xSBChamps
01-16-2011, 12:08 PM
... tell me how great he is now! 15 yard pass plays when it's third and 19!

"Nobody can get the truth out of me because even I don't know what it is...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/TV%20shows/ColonelFlagg.jpg

... I keep myself in a constant state of utter confusion."

Kingmagyar
01-16-2011, 12:10 PM
The only think that bothered me the most was Ben was under Center a lot. Even on obvious passing downs. I thought he would be better served in the shotgun with the Rush from the Ravens he was getting.

mesaSteeler
01-16-2011, 12:16 PM
An open letter to Al Davis.

Dear Al,

I see you have fired your head coach again and need a new one. Please consider Bruce Arains. Al, just between us, he's your type of guy. All Bruce wants to do is throw long balls and you know how much you like that. Arians is also stubborn and stupid so you should work well together since you have so much in common.

Please hire BA at once,

Your friends in the Steeler Nation.

ricardisimo
01-16-2011, 12:25 PM
"Nobody can get the truth out of me because even I don't know what it is...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/TV%20shows/ColonelFlagg.jpg

... I keep myself in a constant state of utter confusion."
Colonel Flagg! Classic! "I have no home. I am the wind."

cubanstogie
01-16-2011, 01:28 PM

yes they stopped it once, we also had a few successful plays with it. Why not criticize Ben for not calling an audible if the CB is up on the line of scrimmage.

theplatypus
01-16-2011, 01:31 PM
yes they stopped it once, we also had a few successful plays with it. Why not criticize Ben for not calling an audible if the CB is up on the line of scrimmage.

Thank God I'm not the only that sees it.

Steelboy84
01-16-2011, 02:19 PM
The year Ben threw 32 TDs (2007), he did a lot of his own playcalling..................

fer522
01-16-2011, 03:32 PM
Id like to see Ben make more calls in the future. Its a 50/50 shot anyway!

he could be as good as payton IMO :wink02:

finesward
01-16-2011, 08:17 PM

Dear Al,

I see you have fired your head coach again and need a new one. Please consider Bruce Arains. Al, just between us, he's your type of guy. All Bruce wants to do is throw long balls and you know how much you like that. Arians is also stubborn and stupid so you should work well together since you have so much in common.

Please hire BA at once,

Wait I thought he wanted to throw it short on 3rd and 19 and Ben changed it to a go route? Which one is it?

cubanstogie
01-16-2011, 10:23 PM

Dear Al,

Please hire BA at once,

I think the long ball worked for us pretty well this year. Short game worked pretty well too, I saw a stat we led the league in 3rd and 1 conversions. Pretty good considering last couple of years we had to do trick plays or pass on short yardage. Worst part of offense this year was red zone and the last 3 games have been much better. Panthers and Browns everyone made excuses because they suck, I don't know what you people will say about Ravens game. Their D is right behind ours. The only way some will be happy is if we score a TD every possession , but even that isn't good enough. We have to be in the right formation. LMAO.

SH-Rock
01-19-2011, 06:19 PM
Jeremy Bates anyone?

Fire Arians
01-22-2011, 06:51 PM
IF arians can outsmart the jets defense I will can this screen name!

NJSteel
01-23-2011, 02:20 AM
If he calls a draw play within their own end zone again against the Jets I am going to declare a Jihad on him (not sure how effective this will be as a non Muslim, but he deserves a holy war from the Steeler' Nation) .. whats sad is that Dick LeBeau's Defense, and Ad-Libbing offensive players perform so well that he'll always keep his job cause they still manage to win despite his 3 and Outs and ATROCIOUS red zone play calling...

MikeHaullace
01-23-2011, 02:21 AM
IF arians can outsmart the jets defense I will can this screen name! :wink02:

MikeHaullace
01-23-2011, 02:25 AM
... players perform so well that he'll always keep his job cause they still manage to win despite his 3 and Outs and ATROCIOUS red zone play calling...

You know, I've thought about it and, I wonder if Ben is as much to blame on the play-calling as Arians. I mean, they do more or less decide what plays will go into the game.

Perhaps them having the tendency to use the same plays in the same scenarios is obvious to those that actually scout and break-down upcoming match-ups. I certainly don't spend much of my life watching 'tape'; usually each game gets 2 views. (Super Bowls: Unlimited.)

:noidea:

The way I see it this season is, as long as they're winning, that's good enough for me.

Welcome to the board.

theplatypus
01-23-2011, 09:50 PM
IF arians can outsmart the jets defense I will can this screen name!

Looks like you're due for a name change!!!!

mesaSteeler
01-23-2011, 10:10 PM

Not after that second half! Fire should change his name to "Fire Arians Now!"

SH-Rock
01-23-2011, 10:12 PM

This, great calls first half, bad calls second.

theplatypus
01-23-2011, 10:14 PM

Is Arians responsible for Ben throwing 2 interceptions, for Ike falling down, for the fumble in the endzone? For the Jets not panicking and playing outstanding football in the 2nd half?

mesaSteeler
01-23-2011, 10:25 PM
As I said in another thread Airhead the idiot can not adjust during the game. The Jets adjusted to stop the run in the second half. It was ovbious they would do so. However the Airhead, who probably slept through half time, FAILED to anticipate it and come up with an alternative plan. Same damn thing happened in the last Super Bowl which if not for Ben's heroics we would have lost!

Fire Airhead Arians Now!

theplatypus
01-23-2011, 10:30 PM
As I said in another thread Airhead the idiot can not adjust during the game. The Jets adjusted to stop the run in the second half. It was ovbious they would do so. However the Airhead, who probably slept through half time, FAILED to anticipate it and come up with an alternative plan. Same damn thing happened in the last Super Bowl which if not for Ben's heroics we would have lost!

Fire Airhead Arians Now!

We came out throwing in the 2nd half and the Jets cornerbacks were very good w/ tight coverage.

mesaSteeler
01-23-2011, 10:41 PM
We came out throwing in the 2nd half and the Jets cornerbacks were very good w/ tight coverage.

So why didn't the Airhead adjust!

Fire Arians
01-23-2011, 10:43 PM

I'm gonna man up to it. last post as "fire arians"

mesa I honestly think the game was called well in the 2nd half, we had some bad breaks and botched snaps were legursky's fault more than anything. he did what was needed in the 2nd half, bleed the clock. Loved the use of the fullback and committing to the running game.

but one cause for concern is the steelers offense tended to stall after pouncey got hurt. we NEED him back for the super bowl.

lionslicer
01-23-2011, 10:47 PM

mesa I honestly think the game was called well in the 2nd half, we had some bad breaks and botched snaps were legursky's fault more than anything. he did what was needed in the 2nd half, bleed the clock. Loved the use of the fullback and committing to the running game.

but one cause for concern is the steelers offense tended to stall after pouncey got hurt. we NEED him back for the super bowl.

So are you going to be "keepArians" ?

SteelCityMom
01-23-2011, 10:50 PM

You might have to keep the name for a little while. None of us mods can do it, and I don't know when Matthew (the admin) will be checking back in. I've sent him a couple PM's in the past week cause a couple others want to change their names, so I'll send him one about yours as well.

MACH1
01-23-2011, 10:51 PM

The jets also made some adjustments and arians didn't. It's like arians scripts the whole game and can't deviate.

cubanstogie
01-23-2011, 10:53 PM
you guys are kidding right. After calling pass plays on the last drive to win it you guys are still blaming him. We won the game. We ran zero bubble screens you should be happy about that. We had a RB in the backfield in the red zone. Some people will never be happy, and you know who your miserable people are. For the rest of you, congrats we are going to another SB. What is Mike Martz doing next week. The best OC in the league is not going to SB and the worst is. How is that possible.

El Nino
01-23-2011, 10:53 PM
You might have to keep the name for a little while. None of us mods can do it, and I don't know when Matthew (the admin) will be checking back in. I've sent him a couple PM's in the past week cause a couple others want to change their names, so I'll send him one about yours as well.

Oh I just created this acct haha. Either way we expected tough moments against the jets who are probably one of the toughest teams to pass against.

SteelKnight
01-23-2011, 10:54 PM
I have to give Arians props for 5WR no TE looks at times. Most would be too scared to ever remove Heath (and maybe he shouldn't) but it is gutsy and requires the defense to do a double take.

cubanstogie
01-23-2011, 10:57 PM
The jets also made some adjustments and arians didn't. It's like arians scripts the whole game and can't deviate.

in all fairness when you are up 24-3 what adjustments do you make. You say keep running it and keep playing D. We could not throw on the Jets, lets face it. We had a few key conversions and thankfully that was enough. It wasn't like we ran it every play in the second half to run the clock out. Ben made some nice plays, he also had a couple of passes that were luckily not picked.

El Nino
01-23-2011, 11:19 PM
I really think if pouncey didn't get hurt we would have ran away with the game. without him there was a lot more pressure on ben and 2 botched snaps that were huge, one resulting in a safety

SteelCityMom
01-23-2011, 11:21 PM
Oh I just created this acct haha. Either way we expected tough moments against the jets who are probably one of the toughest teams to pass against.

Oh...lol, that works too! :tt02:

SteelKnight
01-24-2011, 01:42 AM
I really think if pouncey didn't get hurt we would have ran away with the game. without him there was a lot more pressure on ben and 2 botched snaps that were huge, one resulting in a safety

That might be true. Also, it is not like they completely shut us down. I think we didn't try hard enough on certain critical plays where the Jets were making 3rd and 4th down passes. It seems we play more relaxed when we are behind. We need a few more RB screens...not WR screens.

Props to Sanchez (huge ears...lol). He played better than I expected. There were several times where the rushers ran past him...can't happen in big games.

Arians needs to come up with a better game plan with the lead for GB.

wnyBob
01-24-2011, 09:11 AM
Thankfully and I’m as ecstatic that we won as anyone on the planet. I don’t want to diminish that. And I was doing flips like everyone when we were absolutely smoken’ the Jets in the first half. BUT, the game ended up playing out exactly as my opinion of Arians has been right along and I’ve said it 100’s of times. He can draw up a game plan and when it works it works, i.e. the first half. BUT when a defense and DC changes up on him and gets his number, he CAN NOT or WILL NOT adjust, i.e. the second half. If we would have lost and it came close to that, IMHO, it would have been on Arians shoulders. So the D got a little soft in the second half, but when you reach the playoff rounds you expect a good team to score 17 points, there is nothing to be ashamed of with that. But without even a stinking FG in the second half let alone one more TD to help out the D when it was obvious the Jets were pumped and on a roll, there is a scenario to present that yet again Ben’s scrambling and ability to ad-lib on 3rd down to Brown saved the game and baled out Arians yet another time. So in spite of Arians game plan and not because of it. If anyone is giving him all the credit for the first half, he needs and deserves the heat for the second half.

43Hitman
01-24-2011, 02:04 PM
in all fairness when you are up 24-3 what adjustments do you make. You say keep running it and keep playing D. We could not throw on the Jets, lets face it. We had a few key conversions and thankfully that was enough. It wasn't like we ran it every play in the second half to run the clock out. Ben made some nice plays, he also had a couple of passes that were luckily not picked.

Ben only threw the ball 5 times in the second half. He threw more on the first drive. We were totally playing safe to run the clock.

cubanstogie
01-24-2011, 02:42 PM
Ben only threw the ball 5 times in the second half. He threw more on the first drive. We were totally playing safe to run the clock.

Thats my point, with a 24-10 lead the way we ran the ball in the first half we have to try and continue what worked and run out the clock. Our D played like Ben yesterday, they stopped them when they had to but also had some blunders. They were far from perfect. We had 4 drives in the second half and one was a one play safety. So we had only 3 drives. First was 8 plays and Ben threw a pic. Second 9 plays the last few going backwards and punted. A few were pass plays that never were thrown, which skew the 5 passes in second half. Last drive we ran 8 plays to run the clock out. So basically if BA was to blame it could only be on one drive, the second. Ben was sacked a couple of times. IMO the Jets came out on offense and took it to us. You can hardly blame it on bad play calling and just trying to run clock out. Bens pic was on second down and gave them more momentum than a punt would have. A win is a win and blaming Arians for the second half woes in asinine. Not saying you are at all, but a few are like broken records and refuse to give the proper credit or proper criticism to the players. Its easier to blame BA that actually have players take accountability or better yet give props to the Jets. They are better than the Ravens IMO.

ricardisimo
01-24-2011, 03:48 PM
you guys are kidding right. After calling pass plays on the last drive to win it you guys are still blaming him. We won the game. We ran zero bubble screens you should be happy about that. We had a RB in the backfield in the red zone. Some people will never be happy, and you know who your miserable people are. For the rest of you, congrats we are going to another SB. What is Mike Martz doing next week. The best OC in the league is not going to SB and the worst is. How is that possible.
For the record, Arians wanted to run on that 3rd down conversion to Brown. Tomlin called the pass. (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11024/1120290-66.stm) Something similar happened the previous game, where Ben changed the call at the line because they needed 19 and Arians called a 10-yard play or whatever.

It was awkward to watch Ben struggle while Sanchez lit us up by game's end. That's partly on Ben, but partly on Bruce for sure. On the other hand, Mendy had a great game, which is exactly what the doctor ordered, so kudos to Arians for that!

43Hitman
01-24-2011, 03:56 PM
Thats my point, with a 24-10 lead the way we ran the ball in the first half we have to try and continue what worked and run out the clock. Our D played like Ben yesterday, they stopped them when they had to but also had some blunders. They were far from perfect. We had 4 drives in the second half and one was a one play safety. So we had only 3 drives. First was 8 plays and Ben threw a pic. Second 9 plays the last few going backwards and punted. A few were pass plays that never were thrown, which skew the 5 passes in second half. Last drive we ran 8 plays to run the clock out. So basically if BA was to blame it could only be on one drive, the second. Ben was sacked a couple of times. IMO the Jets came out on offense and took it to us. You can hardly blame it on bad play calling and just trying to run clock out. Bens pic was on second down and gave them more momentum than a punt would have. A win is a win and blaming Arians for the second half woes in asinine. Not saying you are at all, but a few are like broken records and refuse to give the proper credit or proper criticism to the players. Its easier to blame BA that actually have players take accountability or better yet give props to the Jets. They are better than the Ravens IMO.

I misunderstood your post. I was defending the play calling, I agree when you're up by 21 in a playoff game, you make the other team beat you. No sense in taking any risks, they had already made some very good adjustments, and were daring us to make a mistake. In some instances they did force into some mistakes, also I think that long pass that was picked worked better for us in the long run. Not sure if we punt it that deep in that situation.

cubanstogie
01-24-2011, 04:45 PM
I misunderstood your post. I was defending the play calling, I agree when you're up by 21 in a playoff game, you make the other team beat you. No sense in taking any risks, they had already made some very good adjustments, and were daring us to make a mistake. In some instances they did force into some mistakes, also I think that long pass that was picked worked better for us in the long run. Not sure if we punt it that deep in that situation.

true if we didn't convert the 3rd it would have been a similar situation. Its almost harder to play with a big lead unless you are the Patriots. They seem to just keep throwing and scoring. Teams know what we are going to do and a couple of stops and they are right back in the game. I truly thought when we stopped the run Sanchez would melt. I was wrong about that. Therefore I give him credit, as opposed to criticizing our coaching staff. Even if people want to blame BA for the second half demise they should still give kudos for the last drive. I would have rather seen offense put it away then rely on our D like we always do. I am sure they would have stopped Sanchez just like Flacco but it was a nice change of pace.

theplatypus
01-24-2011, 04:58 PM

Ben dropped back to pass 5 times on our 1st possession of the 2nd half alone. He also fumbled and threw an interception on that drive.

43Hitman
01-24-2011, 04:59 PM
Yeah, Sanchez threw into some good coverage at the end of the game. He was ready to take the team to the next level, the rest of his team wasn't though.

43Hitman
01-24-2011, 05:00 PM
Ben dropped back to pass 5 times on our 1st possession of the 2nd half alone. He also fumbled and threw an interception on that drive.

Throwing and dropping back are two different things. No?

Aussie Steeler
01-25-2011, 12:00 AM
After watching that draw play yesterday on 2nd and long or 3rd and long or something when the RB (Mendy or Moore) lost yards ... I remembered this thread.

dbsfgyd1
01-27-2011, 08:26 PM
As for the second half and BA's play calling, we only had 4 series. One was the one play drive that was the safety, the other being the one where we closed out the game. The real culpret was our defense.

ricardisimo
01-28-2011, 01:52 AM
As for the second half and BA's play calling, we only had 4 series. One was the one play drive that was the safety, the other being the one where we closed out the game. The real culpret was our defense.
You mean the defense that scored a TD and held the Jets to two net yards until the very end of the first half? The same defense that held fast on 1st-, 2nd-, 3rd- and 4th-and-goal in the fourth quarter, and forced a three-and-out in the 3rd?

Granted, they went prevent in the second half and that clearly didn't work. But still, they shifted back in time to make the win stick, because the offense didn't score again after Ben's scramble in the middle of the second quarter.

I wouldn't go blaming the defense for anything in that game.

Kanata-Steeler
02-06-2011, 09:31 AM
this thread is a bit quiet today ?

ricardisimo
02-06-2011, 01:52 PM
this thread is a bit quiet today ?
I think that, in the interest of good karma, we're all pushing positive energies towards Bruce and Co.

MasterOfPuppets
02-06-2011, 10:36 PM
i STILL want him gone !!!
clock management was absolutely horrible. when your down 2 scores with 11 minutes left in the game , it's time to change the pace and show a little urgency. even if you score (like they did ) , you can't count on the D to get you the ball back in hurry (like they didn't ). i was yelling some pretty foul shit at the tv , when they were playing like they had 2 quarters yet to go....:chuckle:

Farrior_roirraW
02-06-2011, 11:11 PM
i STILL want him gone !!!
clock management was absolutely horrible. when your down 2 scores with 11 minutes left in the game , it's time to change the pace and show a little urgency. even if you score (like they did ) , you can't count on the D to get you the ball back in hurry (like they didn't ). i was yelling some pretty foul shit at the tv , when they were playing like they had 2 quarters yet to go....:chuckle:

The offense could have had more urgency but they still scored like you said. :noidea:

I thought Arians was fine this game, don't know how I feel about him coming back... but anyways, I thought this thread would be running wild about the time I got on here.

Fire Arians
02-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Ok count me back on board. This offense and even Ben looked like the first timers out there. Why? I'm guessing the OC

MasterOfPuppets
02-06-2011, 11:21 PM
The offense could have had more urgency but they still scored like you said. :noidea:

I thought Arians was fine this game, don't know how I feel about him coming back... but anyways, I thought this thread would be running wild about the time I got on here.
and look at what happend ... they get the ball back DEEP in their own territory with 2 minutes and 1 timeout. they could have easily have had an additional 1:30 or 2:00 for that last drive had they not taken their good ole sweet time on the previous drive.

Farrior_roirraW
02-06-2011, 11:24 PM
and look at what happend ... they get the ball back DEEP in their own territory with 2 minutes and 1 timeout. they could have easily have had an additional 1:30 or 2:00 for that last drive had they not taken their good ole sweet time on the previous drive.

True. But there were other factors, like the D and Fox penalty, but yeah, the time would have helped.

:drink:

dpiedra
02-06-2011, 11:49 PM
Clock management was bruttal ... Glad others noticed it ... They looked unorganized and certainly not in anny hurry to move down field. The final drive was horrible ... Complete confusion ... Wallace had no idea what they were calling at least once on that drive.

mesaSteeler
02-07-2011, 12:02 AM
Well we don't have to fire the Airhead because his contract is up. We have to just not rehire him.

It's up to Tomlin now.

illmatic
02-07-2011, 01:39 AM
Unfortunately, I think they will bring back Arians. There is no way they don't bring him back after we made it to the Super Bowl. He's done more bad than good in my opinion, but still, how can you make a major coaching change after making it to the Super Bowl? I just don't see it happening.

MACH1
02-07-2011, 01:54 AM
And unfortunately nobody's lined up to try and grab him away.

Fire Arians
02-07-2011, 03:51 AM
And unfortunately nobody's lined up to try and grab him away.

the chiefs are looking for an OC :thud:

Farrior_roirraW
02-07-2011, 10:51 AM

He'd be a perfect fit there... and KC would continue to use Charles even less than they before. :chuckle:

Spidey
02-07-2011, 01:38 PM
one pass completion to a running back all game . . .

Heath Miller 2 receptions . . .

Brucie's long drawn out mid to deep passing game fails again, what a surprise!

WTF!!

If we re-hire him i'm gonna be very, very, very unhappy . . . . :banging:

neither co-ordinator covered themselves in glory last night!:coffee:

CaliStillersFan
02-07-2011, 03:38 PM
If firing Arians happens finally and yesterday's loss was the catalyst to make it finally happen, then I can view yesterday as a win. I'm sick of his inability to change his gameplan accordingly. When I saw them still in that 3 TE set when GB wasn't bring more than 4 for most of the game, I officially joined the Fire Arians crowd. GB lost their top corners, and for some reason we didn't run the no huddle with 4 and 5 WR's. Instead we opted for 1 WR and 3 TE's, just horrible playing calling as usual. I hope they bring in someone with a more aggressive offensive strategy. Our offensive plan always seems to depend on our defense dominating, and when they don't, we're usually screwed, that's not fair to the guys on the defensive side of the ball.

Fire Arians
02-08-2011, 01:13 PM
If firing Arians happens finally and yesterday's loss was the catalyst to make it finally happen, then I can view yesterday as a win.

Agree

MasterOfPuppets
02-09-2011, 12:01 AM
Unfortunately, I think they will bring back Arians. There is no way they don't bring him back after we made it to the Super Bowl. He's done more bad than good in my opinion, but still, how can you make a major coaching change after making it to the Super Bowl? I just don't see it happening.
stop with the negative vibes man...http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-sotw.gif

tube517
02-09-2011, 01:22 AM
Who do we pick on now if Arians is gone??

Fire Randy Fichtner!

tube517
02-09-2011, 01:28 AM
They will lead the lead in yards but be last in scoring.

lipps83
02-09-2011, 03:11 PM
How can Arians not be gone yet? A portion of the money I pay to the Steelers helps to pay his salary. I want him gone.

The customer is always right. I am the customer in this circumstance, not a fan.

acidburn517
02-09-2011, 07:41 PM
Is there a fire arians facebook page? I would so sign up for that.

Fire Arians
02-10-2011, 01:10 PM
Is there a fire arians facebook page? I would so sign up for that.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=48648158505

Sixburgher
02-15-2011, 11:43 AM
How can Arians not be gone yet? A portion of the money I pay to the Steelers helps to pay his salary. I want him gone.

The customer is always right. I am the customer in this circumstance, not a fan.

And if they retain him, what are you going to do about it? LOL

Fire Arians
02-15-2011, 12:41 PM
And if they retain him, what are you going to do about it? LOL

buy season tickets :mad:

rich4eagle
02-21-2011, 07:47 PM
I think Arians has done a pretty good job.....

and the team is in good shape

They lost the Super Bowl with bad penalties and turn overs

bigpapi
03-05-2011, 01:34 AM
alright im just returning after a long layoff but her it goes men. ariens is not the problem and never has been. what you need here and i been saying since 2006 and 2 superbowl wins even is a new quarterback. what im about to say is the whole reason i came back to the forum. where i live there are no steeler fans to talk with so here goes. i hope you guys dont ream me too bad but this is what i notice.
why cant our qb drop 3,5,or even 7 step drop and hit hines ward in stride, or even wallace ? everyone else does it . (other teams) no he has to scramble and run around wear'n out his o line and wait until the secondary breaks down to where his reciever is so wide open that there is no way it can be incomplete. our sucess has been a team effort and always will be. but can you imagine if ben would just study 1/2 as hard as tom b. and peyton m. how good we could be.
superbowl. the second int.... i rewound and looked. he was so damn set on forceing thhe ball to walllace for a ten yard gain in double cov. when you look at it again. hines is 20yds down field with hand in air. h.miller is 25yds on the left sidline wide open with hands in air and guranteed touchdown because of blown coverage. and you can see the gb back take off because he knows its blown coverage. i love my steelers and i want them to be all they can. because of one man we lost a championship
that was ours.

go steelers, all the way

rich4eagle
03-17-2011, 04:10 PM
alright im just returning after a long layoff but her it goes men. ariens is not the problem and never has been. what you need here and i been saying since 2006 and 2 superbowl wins even is a new quarterback. what im about to say is the whole reason i came back to the forum. where i live there are no steeler fans to talk with so here goes. i hope you guys dont ream me too bad but this is what i notice.
why cant our qb drop 3,5,or even 7 step drop and hit hines ward in stride, or even wallace ? everyone else does it . (other teams) no he has to scramble and run around wear'n out his o line and wait until the secondary breaks down to where his reciever is so wide open that there is no way it can be incomplete. our sucess has been a team effort and always will be. but can you imagine if ben would just study 1/2 as hard as tom b. and peyton m. how good we could be.
superbowl. the second int.... i rewound and looked. he was so damn set on forceing thhe ball to walllace for a ten yard gain in double cov. when you look at it again. hines is 20yds down field with hand in air. h.miller is 25yds on the left sidline wide open with hands in air and guranteed touchdown because of blown coverage. and you can see the gb back take off because he knows its blown coverage. i love my steelers and i want them to be all they can. because of one man we lost a championship
that was ours.

go steelers, all the way

oh geez............kill a winner Big Ben:tt04:

vasteeler
03-17-2011, 04:38 PM
that was ours.

go steelers, all the way

quick, someone with more skills than me. insert face palm pic

Wallace108
04-11-2011, 03:45 AM
Nice post.Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful!
<a href=http://www.asicsshoesshopping.com>asics gel shoes</a>
asics gel shoes (http://www.asicsshoesshopping.com)
<a href="http://www.asicsshoesshopping.com" title="asics gel shoes">asics gel shoes</a>
[url=http://www.www.asicsshoesshopping.com asics gel shoes]
:smack:
:shout: MOM! TIME TO TAKE OUT THE TRASH!

rangerman
04-26-2011, 10:03 PM
that was ours.

go steelers, all the way

this people are not understanding where your coming from. i do to an extent i however believe ben makes to many mistakes i think he had 20-22 tds and around 14 ints that is too much in my opinion. he is almost guaranteed to throw 1 int a game and when he threw 2 in the superbowl i knew that was all she wrote the game was over for us. look at brady, manning, and other elites and check their Td to int ratio.

Sixburgher
04-26-2011, 10:41 PM
this people are not understanding where your coming from. i do to an extent i however believe ben makes to many mistakes i think he had 20-22 tds and around 14 ints that is too much in my opinion. he is almost guaranteed to throw 1 int a game and when he threw 2 in the superbowl i knew that was all she wrote the game was over for us. look at brady, manning, and other elites and check their Td to int ratio.

Ben in 2010: 17 TD, 5 INT (3:1)

Manning in 2010: 33 TD, 17 INT (2:1)

His TD/INT ratio last season was better than Manning's. And one of his two picks in the Super Bowl was directly attributable to Kemo getting beat like a rented mule. It can also be argued that the turnover that killed the Steelers once and for all in that game was Mendenhall's fumble. I'm not saying Ben played great or was above criticism in that game, but hanging the loss only on him is pretty lazy and doesn't tell the whole story. Our secondary play was, in my opinion far worse in that game than Ben's. If Rodgers had better receivers, we would have probably gotten embarrassed.

rangerman
04-26-2011, 10:55 PM
Ben in 2010: 17 TD, 5 INT (3:1)

Manning in 2010: 33 TD, 17 INT (2:1)

His TD/INT ratio last season was better than Manning's. And one of his two picks in the Super Bowl was directly attributable to Kemo getting beat like a rented mule. It can also be argued that the turnover that killed the Steelers once and for all in that game was Mendenhall's fumble. I'm not saying Ben played great or was above criticism in that game, but hanging the loss only on him is pretty lazy and doesn't tell the whole story. Our secondary play was, in my opinion far worse in that game than Ben's. If Rodgers had better receivers, we would have probably gotten embarrassed.

our secondary is at best average and dont even ask them to shut down jennings or nelson the bad part is nelson isnt even a upper echelon receiver like ward or even wallace for that fact. i stand corrected on the manning statement :doh: but brady still produced more. if we had a revis or even a better d-line that pass rushed more we wouldnt be having this discussion about or secondary. we didnt rank that bad in secondary actually 12th in the league if i recall correctly. :thumbsup: thats why i hope we grab kendrick ellis or peae this year.

jmott4385
05-02-2011, 04:40 PM
I never liked arians. Ive been saying forever how horrible the guy is. Guy does the same 4 plays every game. Its kinda embarrassing on his part that im just a no name fan sitting at home calling his plays before the ball is snapped. its pathetic.

Sixburgher
05-06-2011, 09:17 AM
brady still produced more.

Where was Brady on February 6th?

rangerman
05-06-2011, 02:13 PM
the team lost not brady

tanda10506
07-23-2011, 10:50 AM
the team lost not brady

Right the team, with Brady as captain, so Brady lost.

On the topic of fire Arians, with the new year coming up I can't believe he is still here. I feel like every year they win in spite of him.

tanda10506
07-23-2011, 11:00 AM
our secondary is at best average and dont even ask them to shut down jennings or nelson the bad part is nelson isnt even a upper echelon receiver like ward or even wallace for that fact. i stand corrected on the manning statement :doh: but brady still produced more. if we had a revis or even a better d-line that pass rushed more we wouldnt be having this discussion about or secondary. we didnt rank that bad in secondary actually 12th in the league if i recall correctly. :thumbsup: thats why i hope we grab kendrick ellis or peae this year.

I feel the same about the secondary, Polamalu is probably the best in the league, other then that we are lacking. I love the hard hits by Ryan Clark, but he's not the best in coverage, McFadden in my opinion is HORRIBLE, and Ike Taylor is pretty good but not good enough to shut down any big name receiver. I think the Dline combined with the OLB's provide enough pass rush. Brady does produce better numbers then Ben, lately he doesn't win big games like Ben, but his numbers are better. The argument that we are loose games because we only have the #2, or #3 or #4 QB in the league though doesn't really make sense. He could be better and it would help, but we definetly don't loose because of him. To me Arians is at fault for a lot of it. His predictable plays hurt Ben's numbers for that matter. The thing with Arians that kills me the most though is running on 3rd and 9, passing on 3rd and inches, throwing 10 screen passes a game for a total gain of 6 yards. You know, that kind of stuff. Every 3rd down is potentially game changing and when we run on 3rd and 10 we don't even give ourselves a chance at keeping the ball and putting points on the board. Clearly his play calling hurts us, if we lose a game it's not always completely his fault, but sometimes even then I think it is.

cloppbeast
07-23-2011, 11:35 AM
Right the team, with Brady as captain, so Brady lost.

On the topic of fire Arians, with the new year coming up I can't believe he is still here. I feel like every year they win in spite of him.

With your logic, the fact Arians coached in the Super Bowl should prove he's the best - since, of course, Ben is better than Brady for the same reason.

Of course, on the contrary, according to you, Arians is still terrible. This is what is commonly referred to as selective logic.

Kanata-Steeler
07-29-2011, 12:00 AM
With your logic, the fact Arians coached in the Super Bowl should prove he's the best - since, of course, Ben is better than Brady for the same reason.

Of course, on the contrary, according to you, Arians is still terrible. This is what is commonly referred to as selective logic.

Ben kinda "blew" it in our recent SB showing against GB, -just ask Harrison what he thought.

ever wonder why Steelers are interested in Plax ?
Arien's is definitely behind the lets get Plax for Ben. Because the only thing Ariens knows is "Air it out" Ben.
But ya, we really need a decent OL too ! It's not all about Mr. $100MillionBerger.
(just look at our our recent SB showing, and there's the proof)

As long as Ariens is the O-Coach it'll always be another year of finger-nail chewing when our "O" is on the field, praying our "DEFENSE" yet again, get's us to another SB

Steelervinny
07-29-2011, 04:54 PM
You guys are crazy! I like Arians. He's half the reason Ben is as good as he is. True: He needs to run the ball more. True: He's better than 75% of the offensive coordinators in the league

Kanata-Steeler
08-01-2011, 05:52 AM
You guys are crazy! I like Arians. He's half the reason Ben is as good as he is. True: He needs to run the ball more. True: He's better than 75% of the offensive coordinators in the league

"...true: He needs to run the ball more. ..."

Well, I think you just answered and agreed with what I said earlier anyway
So, guess what?
You are as crazy as we are -lol
haha

Steelervinny
08-01-2011, 02:18 PM
agreed

Steel Peon
08-11-2011, 11:58 AM
I feel obligated to at least post something about this every year, since I'm dumbfounded that he's been around this long. How he didn't get fired after his first year is one of the Steelers' great mysteries.

The sooner he's given the ole heave ho, the happier I'll be.

Sixburgher
08-11-2011, 12:15 PM
As long as Roethlisberger is the QB, he's more than likely not going anywhere, especially if the team continues to make Super Bowl appearances on a fairly regular basis. Why people continue to not get this is beyond me.

Farrior_roirraW
08-11-2011, 12:41 PM
I think the SB bought him 2 more years. I don't see the offense doing bad enough to get him gone for good, unfortunately.

He wasn't too bad last year so we'll see.

Steel Peon
08-11-2011, 03:05 PM
He wasn't too bad last year so we'll see.
Yeah, he was ok until the bowl.......where he humped the dog like a madman. I can only fantasize about how great we'd be on O if we still had Whiz or someone who doesn't think like a high school coach.

Sixburgher
08-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Sure, the 3 turnovers and Ben missing wide open receivers on what would have been at least two sure TDs is definitely all on Arians. It wasn't Ben and the defense playing like absolute dogshit that had anything to do with that loss. It was all Arians and his retarded playcalling. Whatever.

Steel Peon
08-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Whiz wasn't a genius, and never will be, but the one thing he was good at is maximizing his players' talents. He used all their strengths combined into the most effective way possible, and liked to pull trick plays when no one expected it.

Arians, on the other hand, simply runs the most vanilla (read: apathetic) offense possible, with a smattering of bonehead calls. Some people might defend Bruce by saying that he's only trying to be unpredictable when he tries the opposite of what he should call because he thinks the other team won't see it coming. But, what someone has failed to mention to him is that some plays are so stupid in certain situations that you don't have to see them coming to render them useless.

Everyone lambasted him for calling too many bubble screens in the SB, which is true even though I like the play, but where he failed the greatest was not utilizing his players' strengths. All season he left Heath sit back and block, all while putting Spaeth in passing situations......is that mentality unpredictable or simply worthless? I'm with the latter. It's probably why Ben failed to get easy yardage by throwing to Heath during the bowl, and was over-fixated on Wallace.

When Sanders went out and forced Randle-El to go in, I thought that this was a perfect time to unleash some trick plays that otherwise would have been seen coming. Did a single trick play with Antwaan get put in? No.

I admit he's not the only goat of the bowl.....especially on coaching.....but he's just an abortion waiting to happen every year, and the whole team has to consistently bail him out. Ben can make some bad decisions sometimes, but they're amplified by Arians' plan to fail every week.

Sixburgher
08-11-2011, 03:41 PM
All season he left Heath sit back and block, all while putting Spaeth in passing situations......is that mentality unpredictable or simply worthless? I'm with the latter. It's probably why Ben failed to get easy yardage by throwing to Heath during the bowl, and was over-fixated on Wallace.

Or maybe it could have something to do with the fact that Spaeth's blocking is even worse than his hands, whereas Heath is a very good blocker who was needed due to an offensive line that has been mediocre (and even that description is being generous) for years to help keep from getting Roethlisberger killed?

Steel Peon
08-11-2011, 03:43 PM
I'd also like to take this moment to point out that Whisenhunt made Willie Parker into a Superstar, and Arians dug him an early grave. Bruce forced us down an extremely bumpy road, and Tomlin backed Arians by saying "Till the wheels fall off." Well, Mike and Bruce.....you got what you wanted.

Steel Peon
08-11-2011, 03:49 PM
Heath is a very good blocker who was needed due to an offensive line that has been mediocre (and even that description is being generous) for years to help keep from getting Roethlisberger killed?
Ben was very rarely forced out of the pocket during the bowl, which was a very smart piece of coaching on GB's part might I add, so there's one reason I'm not getting on board with your argument. Secondly, Heath has proven himself invaluable in the passing game on countless plays, so if you think he'd be better off in blocking more often, then you have a friend in Arians. Again, Whiz made Heath into a Star, and Bruce shackles him like a prisoner.

Sixburgher
08-11-2011, 03:58 PM
Sure, never mind Miller being wide open when Roethlisberger threw the ill advised pick in the middle of the field, or any of a number of other times he was open in that game with an absolute ton of empty real estate in front of him and Ben failed to pick him up in his progressions. Arians fault again, I suppose. And no, I don't think Miller would be better off in blocking, but until the offensive line is improved, Miller is kind of forced to stay home and block more than is preferable. Yeah, I know, if we just would have had Whiz, the crap offensive line problems would have been magically fixed and we would have won the last 6 or 7 Super Bowls straight.

Here it is. Miller was wide open on this play. Would have been an easy TD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUD5oW91Pv4&feature=related

With all due respect, exactly how the hell was that Arians fault? Between this play and embarrassingly underthrowing Wallace on another sure TD, not to mention a couple of others that probably would have been big gains, indicting Arians for the Super Bowl loss is not only unfair, it's intellectually dishonest. There were more than enough big plays to be had, Ben and company simply failed to make them. That's not on the playcalling, that's on the execution.