PDA

View Full Version : And people think refs are biased TOWARD the Steelers..

JewniorGong
11-21-2010, 01:25 PM
What am I watching right now? the refs have completely taken over this game

Kanata-Steeler
11-21-2010, 01:29 PM
No kidding, why not make a new NFL rule that you simply cannot hit any other player period !
Then Jack Ham's perdiction will come to fruition - everyone wears' SKIRTS !?

steelerdave1969
11-21-2010, 01:30 PM
This is a joke so far . . .Ryan Clark hits the man in the Middle of the Back and he Gets Flagged for Helmet to Helmet? Are you kidding me? . . . what a joke these Refs are

JewniorGong
11-21-2010, 01:35 PM
They're clearly trying to send a message to the entire league through a team defined by hard hits that they're just not going to tolerate real football anymore

JewniorGong
11-21-2010, 01:59 PM
loving the way our D has come out today.. but we coulda kept them off the field a little longer with a PI there..

JewniorGong
11-21-2010, 02:19 PM
No matter how hard these refs try, they still can't give Oakland this game!!

FUMBLE BABY!!!

JewniorGong
11-21-2010, 03:13 PM
ok seriously...

TRH
11-21-2010, 03:23 PM
this is ridiculous. Are they trying to get TV time or something????

I'll be very surprised if Rooney and Tomlin do not officially address the NFL next week. We're almost done in the 3rd quarter and this is absolutely ridiculous and uncalled for.

casteeler
11-21-2010, 03:25 PM
these refs better catch the first fight out of town

steelerchad
11-21-2010, 03:36 PM
This is the worst display of officiating I've ever seen in my life. These officials are afraid to not throw a flag on a physical play. Since when did physical play become illegal? I would like to see Tomlin get in an officials face today, because this is getting ridiculous. I love the explanation the ref gave on Harrisons hit. Drove him with his full body weight. WTF

fer522
11-21-2010, 04:22 PM
somebody is gonna have to do something about all these ****ing calls
this shit is ridiculous if this shit dont stop or someone does not do somethig about it
im gonna stop watching the games all together they care about the ratings too much well f**k them
my ass will be watchin cartoons :chuckle:

SteelCityMom
11-21-2010, 04:29 PM
I'm really proud of the entire team for not letting bullshit penalties get to them. They played a heck of a game despite the refs.

lionslicer
11-21-2010, 04:44 PM
The first flag on harrison was terrible, but the call on Woodley was terrible. He put his arms up and really tried not to him campbell and they still flagged him. Thats total bullshit.

madtowndrunkard
11-21-2010, 04:57 PM
I've seen some bad officiated games in my years. I've seen several that in my mind had to be fixed. This might be the worst I've ever seen. This game was so blatant I think federal officials should be investigating this game. For what ever reason the officials tried their darn est to keep this game close. The NFL should be embarrassed and the officials should be suspended until they can close an investigation.

OX1947
11-21-2010, 05:07 PM
There was no fix, fixes do not make it obvious. Its that (bleep) sucking commissioner and his (bleep) rules.

ZoneBlitzer
11-21-2010, 05:09 PM
I have to agree. If I didn't know any better, I'd say that the league is going after the Rooneys.

madtowndrunkard
11-21-2010, 05:11 PM
There was no fix, fixes do not make it obvious. Its that (bleep) sucking commissioner and his (bleep) rules.

If it were only flags on hits I'd concur But the flags were everywhere. Pass interference and holding calls that were just ridiculous and one sided. Harrison gets held on almost every play. We were drawing holds on players not even in the play. Typically if the hold has nothing to do with the play it's ignored. As soon as we took a 3TD lead the flags started raining down on us every time we moved the ball. I've never seen anything like it.

steelax04
11-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Landing with full body weight on the QB and players getting picked off the pile... what the hell kind of calls are these?

Overall though, it was one of the worst officiated games for both teams... not just the Steelers.

madtowndrunkard
11-21-2010, 05:18 PM
Landing with full body weight on the QB and players getting picked off the pile... what the hell kind of calls are these?

Overall though, it was one of the worst officiated games for both teams... not just the Steelers.

Both teams? 14 penalties for 163 yards vs 7 penalties for 55. It was even more one sided then the numbers show. The raiders calls were mostly off sides and meaningless.

TRH
11-21-2010, 05:46 PM
I'm really glad Fouts spoke up and said these penalties were really bad calls.
At this point, its critical that announcers not toe the line. Calling these things out really makes the league look bad.
As good as the win was, i'm sure hoping somebody from the Steelers F.O. steps up to the plate tomorrow and calls this out for what it was. Beyond ridiculous.

TRH
11-21-2010, 06:01 PM
the refs (and i use that term loosely), should hang their heads in shame. Acted like they had no idea on what was going on out there.
What it DID look like was that they were trying to play up to Goodell's office. In an over-the-top kind of way.
Kudo's to the announcer team for not buying into that garbage and calling bad calls for what they were. Bad and in-correct calls.
Expect Tomlin to send another letter to the league this week.

SH-Rock
11-21-2010, 07:42 PM
"Their defensive guys were hitting our offensive guys and there were no penalties," Harrison said. "I believe if it happened the other way, there would have been a lot more penalties called and maybe they would have kicked five or six of us out of game."

QFT

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/gameflash/2010/11/21/4078_recap.html

Atlanta Dan
11-21-2010, 07:48 PM
"Their defensive guys were hitting our offensive guys and there were no penalties," Harrison said. "I believe if it happened the other way, there would have been a lot more penalties called and maybe they would have kicked five or six of us out of game."

QFT

Link?

PhantomJB93
11-21-2010, 07:49 PM
Roger Goodell and the NFL higher-ups are out to get us because we embody everythign that is good about football that they want to erase.

It will be especially satisfying if this trend continues and we win the Super Bowl or something, I'd love to see the look on Goodell's face as he hands over the Lombardi after a postseason full of gritty, hard hitting football and numerous knockouts.

SH-Rock
11-21-2010, 07:52 PM
Roger Goodell and the NFL higher-ups are out to get us because we embody everythign that is good about football that they want to erase.

It will be especially satisfying if this trend continues and we win the Super Bowl or something, I'd love to see the look on Goodell's face as he hands over the Lombardi after a postseason full of gritty, hard hitting football and numerous knockouts.

He'll prob send some temptations to Ben's house, if you know what I mean

tanda10506
11-21-2010, 08:06 PM
I love Mike Tomlin and he is a true professional. He doesn't ever place blame on one player or a specific group of players, he doesn't throw anybody under the bus during press confrences, he always has respect for the refs and Roger Goodell. All this is good. But I am getting tired of seeing him in press confrences where he doesn't speak out for his players. The "hard hitting" fines are completely out of control and the most he says is that he's not going to comment on the call or that "it's not his call and the whole team practices to play by the rules". And he only says that after making a statement about how he supports enforcing the "helmet to helmet" rule, even though nobody on his team does. And after the Steelers took a completely intentional beating by the refs today, all he has to say is "the game got away from them" and that he's not going to comment on any of the calls made. Come on!! Stand up for your team. I know you have to look professional as a head coach, and whining isn't Tomlin's style, but he has to say something eventually. Why wait untill one of your stars retires and you lose a game completely because of the refs. If the Raiders were bringing there A game, it would have been hard for the Steelers to beat the Raider/Referee team that they were playing. A simple statement in a press conference when asked about the bad calls is all I'm asking for.

TRH
11-21-2010, 08:09 PM
He should and will but will probably only do it with Mr. Rooney and a formal letter to the league.
But if he let's go at his press conference about the horrid officiating, then the NFL will immediately fine him.

steelcity1974
11-21-2010, 08:24 PM
Today is the kind of day you wish Jim Mora (sr) was your head coach.....or maybe Dennis Green.

Atlanta Dan
11-21-2010, 08:25 PM
He should and will but will probably only do it with Mr. Rooney and a formal letter to the league.
But if he let's go at his press conference about the horrid officiating, then the NFL will immediately fine him.

Agreed - The Rooneys and Tomlin backed up Harrison with public statements after the Cleveland fine - this is a big issue and my bet is the serious comments are not on the public record

jamesharrisonst
11-21-2010, 09:31 PM
Shameful, Attack on the Steelers, Not even a Joke because its not funny.
We need to retaliate as a Steeler Nation. We need to come up with a Boycot of some type, the NFL does undersand dollars.
Mabyebuy no more nfl liscenced steeler gear the rest of the year

MikeHaullace
11-21-2010, 09:35 PM
Shameful, Attack on the Steelers, Not even a Joke because its not funny.
We need to retaliate as a Steeler Nation. We need to come up with a Boycot of some type, the NFL does undersand dollars.
Mabyebuy no more nfl liscenced steeler gear the rest of the year

lol That's cute.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I am completely finished with the NFL after this season.

F^%k the NFL.

Most importantly...

F^%k Roger Goodell.

How is that for some type of boycott?

steelers2685
11-21-2010, 10:23 PM
I am a Steelers fan who watches every game to the last 00:00 no matter what, win or lose, frustrated or excited. Today though is the first time in my 25 years that I shut the game off, and it was because of the horrendous, absolutely ludicrous penalties being called against us. I find it sad that after every play I am no longer following the ball on the TV, but rather am looking for laundry on the field instead. I am honestly disgusted in the way we are being treated by the NFL. I don't want so say it's a conspiracy between the fact that I feel the league desperately wants the Pats to be the dominant AFC power, but yet it seems that way anymore.... :noidea: You saw how soft we played against Fabio and his boys last week and lost miserably, yet you see this week that when we play tough, we still can't win (in terms of consistently getting punished). I wish I knew whether or not the League Offices had a complaint department, for I would surely write them a letter explaining to them how I feel wronged as a fan, and how it honestly does seem they target certain players (both whom to call penalties on and who to call penalties against/for). After the third quarter today, like I said, I reluctantly turned the TV off and went to work around the house instead. It was so bad that my eyeball was twitching uncontrollably???

In my opinion, the League needs to come out at some point and emphasize/prove that they are not just picking a battle with us for playing the style of football that has defined the Steelers. Will they do that, ever, meaning they would admit wrong? No. But something must be done to show our players and us fans are not being cheated like I feel we are. Just an example, I saw a hit in another game today that was far worse that Harrison's hit on Jason Campbell that was not called (Hasselback maybe?). Either they should train the refs better on the field or let them play football. Anymore, there's more contact in soccer than our game!!!! Please vent if you would like to as well. I know there are probably lots of ranting threads but I had to post my own personal view of the matter. Thanks for reading.

As a way of being displeased, I will not be buying any NFL merchandise for Christmas gifts this year. Of course it won't put a dent in their pockets, but I don't feel the need to pay them for providing me with a poor experience after poor experience lately.

SH-Rock
11-21-2010, 10:29 PM
Brilliant, we should all boycott

MikeHaullace
11-21-2010, 10:31 PM
Just walk away from it. Wash your hands of it.

That's my plan, at least.

F^%k Roger Goodell.

steelers2685
11-21-2010, 10:35 PM
lol That's cute.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I am completely finished with the NFL after this season.

F^%k the NFL.

Most importantly...

F^%k Roger Goodell.

How is that for some type of boycott?

I'm ready to join in with you and tell Comcast to cancel my RedZone/NFL Network subscription until the NFL wants to allow a fair game to take place with the team in my viewing area. Goodell has been a bum since he came into the position he is in. I love how he tries to bully these players around, because you bet your top dollar, if he wasn't in his position, these guys would own him on the street if he tried anything with them.

Steelers17
11-21-2010, 10:38 PM
No kidding, why not make a new NFL rule that you simply cannot hit any other player period !
Then Jack Ham's perdiction will come to fruition - everyone wears' SKIRTS !?

Jack Lambert made the skirts comment but your point is well made. :tt03:

tony hipchest
11-21-2010, 10:42 PM
I am a Steelers fan who watches every game to the last 00:00 no matter what, win or lose, frustrated or excited. Today though is the first time in my 25 years that I shut the game off, and it was because of the horrendous, absolutely ludicrous penalties being called against us. I find it sad that after every play I am no longer following the ball on the TV, but rather am looking for laundry on the field instead.

for the 1st time ever i wanted to stop watching too, but i didnt because i wanted vengance, and i wanted to see blood. thats how pissed i was. i wanted to see the opponents in pain and hauled off in ambulances and i never feel that way (when were not playing the cheatriots).

i will join you in not purchasing anything from the nfl or any of their licensed products this holiday season.

screw them.

i will buy a new terrible towel when the steelers win the SB though. :tt02:

HAWK
11-21-2010, 10:55 PM
The best message would be for everyone in the stadium to just get up and leave after a series of calls like this today. Let the stadiums sit empty for a few weeks and that will get attention. I just don't see anyone doing that....

lionslicer
11-21-2010, 11:12 PM
Anyone who said refs were biased towards the steelers were stand their ground just for the dolphins game.

steelers2685
11-22-2010, 12:10 AM
for the 1st time ever i wanted to stop watching too, but i didnt because i wanted vengance, and i wanted to see blood. thats how pissed i was. i wanted to see the opponents in pain and hauled off in ambulances and i never feel that way (when were not playing the cheatriots).

i will join you in not purchasing anything from the nfl or any of their licensed products this holiday season.

screw them.

i will buy a new terrible towel when the steelers win the SB though. :tt02:

Sounds good. I'm serious about this, I'm not giving them a dime.

HAWK
11-22-2010, 12:39 AM
Possibly, but the only thing that will really get the league's attention is an empty stadium. Just look at the teams that were blacked out over and over and see how the league and the owners scrambled to change that. That's the only way. But could "we the people" actually accomplish that? Probably not.

ricardisimo
11-22-2010, 04:32 AM
Empty stadiums are the NFL's weapon, believe it or not. Not buying their merchandise might be more effective. Writing the NFL to inform them of this (they're not too bright, and might need help connecting the dots) would also help. Tell them you want Goodell removed from office.
National Football League
280 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10017

CaliStillersFan
11-22-2010, 04:43 AM
Yeah no doubt. You can't hit a QB in the knee's or lower, can't hit them or even tap them in the helmet. Now you can't stick him in the chest and land on him. I love when the announcer said "put skirts on the QB's already". Hopefully today's game will shed some light on a major problem that the NFL has with it's officials. We need to hammer to the national sports talk media this week, and force them to address this. I'll be listening to DP in the morning, looking forward to what he has to say about it.

TRH
11-22-2010, 09:23 AM
so in other words, you can't even tackle a QB anymore. Can't him them low, can't hit them high, can't hit them just as they release the ball with your momentum that you can't stop....and on. and on. and on.

Out in the middle of the field, if they keep this up, defenders will have to start hitting low almost exclusively. And watch for knee injuries to go WAY, WAY up.

coffeecup
11-22-2010, 09:59 AM
The reason I figure all the flags were thrown was that one of the major complaints by the players and teams was that they were getting fines after the game "for plays that weren't even flagged". In an effort to prevent this, any "rough" play, especially by "repeat offenders" is flagged. (Simple instructions to officials from the NFL office that any rough play, especially by the Steelers", must be flagged). That way, when the fines are imposed for any reason, the NFL can say that it was flagged.

They pick on the Steelers because they are good and the NFL doesn't want a "dynasty" of one team winning, especially the Steelers, consecutive Superbowls. Pittsburgh fans will sell out the stadium and buy merchandise, etc win or lose. A lot of other team's fan won't. The only thing they understand is money and they will sacrifice the game to make more money.

A boycott would be the answer but the real question is will enough people be willing to stick to boycott.

madtowndrunkard
11-22-2010, 10:18 AM
The QB Sack is not longer what we were taught. The NFL is trying to remove the QB sack from the game.

If you want to avoid a fine or penalty make defenders bear hug the QB. You cannot throw them to the ground, tackle them, hit them, or what ever. You have to "immobilize the QB. Get him in your grasp then it's a sack. Lets just make it a rule. If you cause the QB to hit the ground it's a penalty on the defense. If you want a sack then you have to merely get him in your grasp. I mean that is what it's come to. You can't hit below the knees, you can't hit about the shoulders....and apparently now if you hit him between the knees and shoulders ...you can't fall down on him.

It's so laughable really. I mean really think about what is going on. They've turned this game into the WWF and some how the owners don't see it? Are they too close to the trees to see the forest? I never thought I'd see the NFL get to this... it's really funny actually. The commissioner in just a couple of seasons has turned the game into a mess. The quality of the play on the field has never been worse....at least in my lifetime. The game is now rigged. So you can no longer think you are watching true competition. The better man is not always going to win....unless that better man has the support of the officials.

I've never been a WWF fan.....I've never liked the NBA. The NFL is self destructing. It's funny how the king of the hill can never remain that way. If someone else doesn't knock them off, they'll do it to them selves. Doesn't matter if it's business or sports or politics or entertainment. People can never let a good thing alone.

CaliStillersFan
11-22-2010, 10:19 AM
so in other words, you can't even tackle a QB anymore. Can't him them low, can't hit them high, can't hit them just as they release the ball with your momentum that you can't stop....and on. and on. and on.

Out in the middle of the field, if they keep this up, defenders will have to start hitting low almost exclusively. And watch for knee injuries to go WAY, WAY up.

No you can do all that just not if your name is James Harrison ;)

CaliStillersFan
11-22-2010, 10:23 AM
I've never been a WWF fan.....I've never liked the NBA. The NFL is self destructing. It's funny how the king of the hill can never remain that way. If someone else doesn't knock them off, they'll do it to them selves. Doesn't matter if it's business or sports or politics or entertainment. People can never let a good thing alone.

Greed destroys everything that is good in life. Once they figured out that it was more profitable to fix games, it was over.

madtowndrunkard
11-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Greed destroys everything that is good in life. Once they figured out that it was more profitable to fix games, it was over.

Thinking in terms of profits...... I'm sure the league and the networks desperately want a SB winner to come out of California. They'd do anything to get a good team in LA. It drives the networks and Goodall nuts I'm sure. Fact of the matter is....the NFL is an eastern and Midwestern game. The last two teams west of the Mississippi to win a SB....the Saints and the Rams. Both of which are right on the river. The last truly western team to win anything was the Denver Broncos over 10 years ago and then the Cowboys. both of which are total jokes now. Seattle, 49ers, Denver, Dallas, Texans, Oakland, SanDiego, Arizona.....every western team sucks. The best team out west is the 5-5 seahawks. I'm sure this is driving Goodell nuts. The Steelers, Patriots, and Colts pretty much own the league for the past 10 years. The last thing the league wants is a Yankee situation. But it looks like they've got 3 "yankee" type teams and a bunch of pretenders.

gameface75
11-22-2010, 10:50 AM
You can thank the Jack ass ,aka,Roger Godell for all of these bullshit penalties against the Steelers.

TRH
11-22-2010, 12:23 PM
Thinking in terms of profits...... I'm sure the league and the networks desperately want a SB winner to come out of California. They'd do anything to get a good team in LA. It drives the networks and Goodall nuts I'm sure. Fact of the matter is....the NFL is an eastern and Midwestern game. The last two teams west of the Mississippi to win a SB....the Saints and the Rams. Both of which are right on the river. The last truly western team to win anything was the Denver Broncos over 10 years ago and then the Cowboys. both of which are total jokes now. Seattle, 49ers, Denver, Dallas, Texans, Oakland, SanDiego, Arizona.....every western team sucks. The best team out west is the 5-5 seahawks. I'm sure this is driving Goodell nuts. The Steelers, Patriots, and Colts pretty much own the league for the past 10 years. The last thing the league wants is a Yankee situation. But it looks like they've got 3 "yankee" type teams and a bunch of pretenders.

Thats true and include NE in there. Goodell absolutely loves that franchise (it's to a point, i don't know. he may swings both ways as he acts like he's in love with the ownership and coaches there...)
Here's the thing he's also trying to do, and i sincerely believe that is a HUGE mistake.
1. He doesn't want defensive games played or even good defense for that matter.
2. He would be the happiest man in the world if every game ended 63-55, 57-50, etc....

In other words, he's following baseballs lead in changing the game. A few years back, baseball made a distinct effort for "home-run" baseball and to eliminate pitching. Look where they're at today. Its been an abysmal failure. Bud Selig has run baseball into the ground.
The World Series? NO ONE gives a sh** (except for the poor saps in the 2 cities playing), other than that, you mention baseball and you're more likely to hear crickets.
If you would have told somebody 10-15 years ago that basketball would be more popular and in style than baseball, you would have been lauged out of the building.
I'm telling you. It's NOT going to work. Period. One thing that draws people to football is the hitting, aggressiveness, sacks, interceptions, preventing the other team from scoring, etc....Take that away and you're going to have a pussified, watered-down version of almost flag football.
They're dropping the ball on this and dropping it in a huge way.