PDA

View Full Version : Seymour Apologizes

SteelCityMom
11-21-2010, 06:24 PM
Richard Seymour apologizes -- to Raiders -- after hitting Ben Roethlisberger
By Cindy Boren
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/early-lead/2010/11/richard_seymour_apologizes_--.html

Oakland Raiders defensive end Richard Seymour apologized -- to his teammates -- for smacking Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in the facemask in Pittsburgh's 35-3 victory.

After throwing a touchdown pass that gave Pittsburgh a 21-3 lead, Roethlisberger jumped into the arms of his tackle, Flozell Adams, then began walking. He seemed to speak to Seymour, who turned and struck Roethlisberger in the jaw. As Roethlisberger fell to the ground, lineman Chris Kemoeatu grabbed Seymour. Both Seymour and Kemoeatu drew penalties and Seymour was ejected.

"I apologize to my teammates," Seymour said afterward. "I never want to do anything to hurt the team. You always want to protect yourself, but there's no excuse. ... I'm not sure why he [Roethlisberger] ran up on me. I just turned around and it was a natural reaction."

Seymour said he doesn't remember Roethlisberger saying anything to him. Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh's coach, downplayed the incident.

"I'm not going to let that play cloud my opinion of Richard Seymour," Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin said afterward. "I think he's an awesome football player and professional. It just got away from us all."

GMU Steeler
11-21-2010, 06:27 PM
He doesn't remember Ben saying anything to him yet the Ben is satan assholes are convinced he deserved it. I'll tell you this much, Ben's no saint but I will defend him because there's still a little thing called innocent until proven guilty in this country not guilty because you play for a football team I don't like and has probably owned my team's ass.If Semyour isn't fined for as much as Harrison for the hit on Mossaquoi, I am gonna be pissed. It's just so annoying because you know if James Harrison had did the same we'd be hearing about how the Steelers are dirty from the same people who are applauding this.

lionslicer
11-21-2010, 06:32 PM
It's possible he didn't know it was Ben, but regardless, if the NFL wants to be consistant they will fine him.

SH-Rock
11-21-2010, 06:44 PM
It's possible he didn't know it was Ben, but regardless, if the NFL wants to be consistant they will fine him.

Consistent?!
Where was the consistency on the fine that hit ward helmet-to-helmet.

tanda10506
11-21-2010, 06:51 PM

Consistent?? That's the last thing the NFL is. Hell we had a "helmet to helmet" call against Ryan Clark today where there wasn't even a helmet contacting anything, let a lone another helmet. The NFL is consistently exercising bad judgement, that's about it.

TRH
11-21-2010, 07:13 PM
He should have apologized to the Steelers as well. To me, this was no apology and sounds like he's just looking for sympathy. Oh, poor me.

LVSteelersfan
11-21-2010, 07:14 PM
That Ryan Clark call was just one of many BS penalties. That roughing the passer one by Harrison was absolutely textbook tackling. He DID NOT pile on the top and drive him into the ground as the ref said. He landed to his side. That game made me so mad that it clouded a great win. Why do the refs have such a vendetta against the Steelers? It takes the fun totally out of the game.

lionslicer
11-21-2010, 07:16 PM
Consistent?!
Where was the consistency on the fine that hit ward helmet-to-helmet.

I actually didn't think that was a bad hit... I think a fine would have just made more controversy in the NFL with their bad fines. They have been fining players less lately. :noidea:

steelcity1974
11-21-2010, 07:18 PM
If that was any Steeler player, he would be suspended. Seymore probably will only draw a minor fine...$10-15k.

Atlanta Dan
11-21-2010, 07:20 PM
I actually didn't think that was a bad hit... I think a fine would have just made more controversy in the NFL with their bad fines. They have been fining players less lately. :noidea:

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action" - Ian Fleming

Ward got hit in the helmet in New Orleans and by New England - no flag

After the Clark penalty today I have given up any assumption these games are being called honestly

lionslicer
11-21-2010, 07:27 PM
"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action" - Ian Fleming

Ward got hit in the helmet in New Orleans and by New England - no flag

After the Clark penalty today I have given up any assumption these games are being called honestly

Today's game was just full of bullshit, but I can't go far enough to say conspiracy against the Steelers.

jamesharrisonst
11-21-2010, 08:25 PM
I Am 44 and watching NFL for 35 years, this was the most abysmal and blatant officiating I have ever seen. It was like trying to fix a fight were one boxer is so dominant that you just cant fix it.
WE need to rally around as a Steeler Nation , We have the numbers to hurt the NFL FINANCIALLY and hard, lets right nowcome up with a plan to hurt the NFL by some kinda boycot to cripple them. Then we must spread the plan like wildfire( Money Talks)

whitt
11-21-2010, 08:35 PM
He should have apologized to the Steelers as well. To me, this was no apology and sounds like he's just looking for sympathy. Oh, poor me.

I don`t think so. As a local fan here in Oakland, Seymour is a gentleman off the field and even had huge praises for Ben last week when talking to reporters. He fkd up big time in being stupid and got himself kicked out of the game which I`m positive he regrets. He let his team down when at the time, the Raiders were only 2 scores down with a full half to go. As it is, it wasn`t a career ending neck breaking hit........it was a punch....nothing else. How many of you are as old as me and remember the "old" Steelers/Raiders games? lol. Today was sandlot play compared to the old days....lol

TRH
11-21-2010, 08:43 PM
I don`t think so. As a local fan here in Oakland, Seymour is a gentleman off the field and even had huge praises for Ben last week when talking to reporters. He fkd up big time in being stupid and got himself kicked out of the game which I`m positive he regrets. He let his team down when at the time, the Raiders were only 2 scores down with a full half to go. As it is, it wasn`t a career ending neck breaking hit........it was a punch....nothing else. How many of you are as old as me and remember the "old" Steelers/Raiders games? lol. Today was sandlot play compared to the old days....lol

I guess the thing that Steelers fans are looking for (as most other fans, i believe want too..), is consistency.
I personally don't think Seymour should be fined or suspended at all. Its all part of the game...a man's game. A tough game.
But lets use Harrison. Or even Woodley. I guess the issue here is that if they do the same thing, its akin to murder being committed, followed by fines + suspensions.
I don't think many Pittsburgh fans are upset with Seymour and in the big scheme of things, it was a very small play in a huge mess of BS today....however, they are VERY upset with the refs and though they won big, its almost unsatisfying. We would have rather won 20-17 with fair officiating.

whitt
11-21-2010, 08:54 PM
I guess the thing that Steelers fans are looking for (as most other fans, i believe want too..), is consistency.
I personally don't think Seymour should be fined or suspended at all. Its all part of the game...a man's game. A tough game.
But lets use Harrison. Or even Woodley. I guess the issue here is that if they do the same thing, its akin to murder being committed, followed by fines + suspensions.
I don't think many Pittsburgh fans are upset with Seymour and in the big scheme of things, it was a very small play in a huge mess of BS today....however, they are VERY upset with the refs and though they won big, its almost unsatisfying. We would have rather won 20-17 with fair officiating.

You`re right......look at these hits of the old days...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb2QVH4iUc0

tony hipchest
11-21-2010, 09:07 PM

well said, TRH . :cheers:

floodcitygirl
11-21-2010, 09:29 PM
I have to disagree on this point. I believe he should be fined and suspended. What he did had nothing to do with playing the game. The play was clearly over. Seymour was pissed and assaulted an unsuspecting player. Not a thing "manly" about it, imo.

SoCalFan
11-22-2010, 12:16 AM
That punch deserves a one game suspension!

steelerchad
11-22-2010, 12:32 AM
That punch deserves a one game suspension!

It won't happen. He was ejected and that's all that will happen. He may get a fine. The league could care less about a punch as chicken shit as it was after the play and all.

They are more worried about liability. They have to show they are doing something to prevent concussion causing hits as they are fearful of future law suits. That's what all this BS is about.

ricksteelers55
11-22-2010, 01:15 AM
Huuhhh come on people ??? The guy made a mistake and apologized for it so let's move on.This is football not bowling

Deserei90
11-22-2010, 01:29 AM
Huuhhh come on people ??? The guy made a mistake and apologized for it so let's move on.This is football not bowlingTo correct you. He didn't apologize to us, he apologized to his teammates. But I agree let's move on. I don't really care about Ben being hit, because to me it was a nothing hit. We've seen Ben get sacked, I don't know how many times. Concussions, He even was in a motorcycle accident. TBH, I don't see where Ben is physically hurting from this. The guy had worst damage done to him in the past, and still is able to bounce back, unlike most QBs in the league.

CaliStillersFan
11-22-2010, 02:47 AM
What happened to Goodell saying the next helmet to helmet hit is getting suspended no matter if its a first offense or not? I lost count of the helmet to helmet shots I've witnessed since he said that, and no one has been suspended since - I guarantee the first time Harrison hits someone H2H, he'll be suspended. And that will be the day I cancel my NFL Sunday Ticket forever. I will not give one cent to this league as long as Goodell is the commissioner, and if that means I don't get to see the Steelers play unless they are playing in primetime, so be it. The NFL like any corporation only understands one thing and that's money. They won't listen to us until they start losing money. Want to see change in the NFL, quit giving them your money.

wootawnee
11-22-2010, 05:42 AM
He doesn't remember Ben saying anything to him yet the Ben is satan assholes are convinced he deserved it. I'll tell you this much, Ben's no saint but I will defend him because there's still a little thing called innocent until proven guilty in this country not guilty because you play for a football team I don't like and has probably owned my team's ass.If Semyour isn't fined for as much as Harrison for the hit on Mossaquoi, I am gonna be pissed. It's just so annoying because you know if James Harrison had did the same we'd be hearing about how the Steelers are dirty from the same people who are applauding this.

Innocent until proven guilty

But you keep runnin your mouth those dudes will come outta the woodworks with their pitchforks and smack you in the Jaw.........

He ran his mouth one too many times..........And he got owned Lambert style.......

TRH
11-22-2010, 08:20 AM

But you keep runnin your mouth those dudes will come outta the woodworks with their pitchforks and smack you in the Jaw.........

He ran his mouth one too many times..........And he got owned Lambert style.......

He didn't get owned at all. I think he went down more out of surprise and drama effect than anything. If he would have gotten owned, he would have stayed down, hurt. But in fact, he jumped right up, wiped his lip and even started smiling with his teammates.

coffeecup
11-22-2010, 09:12 AM
There is nothing manly about sucker-punching someone. It's deliberate and not part of the game. Actually if it took part off the field, it would be assault and Seymour could have been arrested, no matter what Ben said to him (even though both deny anything was said). If Harrison was fined $75,000 for a un-penalized hit. and Roethlisberger had a 4 game suspension for being accused of a crime, this action should cost at least $100,000 plus a game or two suspension. Thinking about that could be why Seymour gave his heartfelt apology. That would be somewhat "consistent".

SteelCityMom
11-22-2010, 09:18 AM

Yeah, he got owned (and not for running his mouth, read some of the articles), and then owned the entire team by continuing to throw TD's lol.

Cheap shots out of frustration are not "owning". And intimidation is only a relevant factor if the team trying to intimidate you know...wins.

CaliStillersFan
11-22-2010, 09:18 AM
Your forgetting that Seymour played for the greatest franchise in the history of the NFL (in Goodell's mind maybe); even all the sports talking heads are pushing the BS that Harrison has a worse rap sheet than Seymour which is completely laughable.

SteelKnight
11-22-2010, 09:55 AM

I agree. That is no apology...just crap. He should have apologized to Ben.

vasteeler
11-22-2010, 10:57 AM

you dont really believe that do you..............:doh:

TRH
11-22-2010, 11:16 AM
in fact, Seymour got owned. Ben got right up pretty much saying "you didn't even hurt me jack***". Then they proceeded with the ass-kicking.

DoctorCAD
11-22-2010, 11:25 AM

Sorry, but when a 350 pound "man" has to sucker punch someone, it just shows what a coward they really are.

He's a ***** and a punk and should be banned from football for doing that.

I noticed that when the bigger O lineman hit him back , he pussed out on that fight.

Chicken shit punk.

GMU Steeler
11-22-2010, 02:20 PM
I don't see how anyone can act like Ben got owned. Yeah he got shoved to the ground but then he came back with two more TD passes the rest of the game while Seymour sat in the showers. And I don't know how anyone can say Ben was running his mouth when Seymour himself doesn't recall Ben saying anything to him. Maybe just maybe Seymour was upset because his team was being clobbered.

wootawnee
11-23-2010, 09:50 AM
Watch it again without your homer glasses on....Ben ran his mouth just like Cliff Harris did and he got what he deserved...........I love Ben......But Its on the tape.......You dont get in a Man's face on the barttle field unless you are a meaner man that can back it up ........Ben's lip finally got smacked..........Took one for the team i guess.........Oh but he still took one..........

I love it......That is old school..........I just wish the bad penalty calls would go away so we can enjoy a little more old school football..............We got hagged.......

MDSteel15
11-23-2010, 09:51 AM
Hey Seymour, take your apology and shove it up your pathetic old a$$.... :tt04:

chacha
11-23-2010, 10:57 AM
Watch it again without your homer glasses on....Ben ran his mouth just like Cliff Harris did and he got what he deserved...........I love Ben......But Its on the tape.......You dont get in a Man's face on the barttle field unless you are a meaner man that can back it up ........Ben's lip finally got smacked..........Took one for the team i guess.........Oh but he still took one..........

I love it......That is old school..........I just wish the bad penalty calls would go away so we can enjoy a little more old school football..............We got hagged.......

How do you know what he said when Seymour couldnt even say if Ben said anything!? And if that's what you call getting in a guys face, you have very delicate sensibilites.

CargoJon
11-23-2010, 11:35 AM
I just can't see how Seymour's sucker punch is worth $25K for a second offense with no suspension and we're fining guys $75K and threatening suspensions for inadvertent helmet to helmet contact.

austinfrench76
11-23-2010, 11:59 AM
Ben said that he said; let's get ready for the extra point! Seymour doesn't know if he said anything so believe Ben. How does he deserved to get punched in the face???!!! You live in a weird ass world if you believe that. And its not Seymour's first offense. F Seymour.

steelerdave1969
11-23-2010, 12:12 PM
I think the only players that should be Fined is the Steelers Offensive Linemen that just stood around after the Hit and Didnt Take the Guy Out Of The Game . .. They should have pounded him into the ground. I wonder what Mike Webster and Jack Lambert would think of those guys out there Not Taking up For Their Teammate like that?

steelerdave1969
11-23-2010, 12:15 PM
[QUOTE=wootawnee;870112]Watch it again without your homer glasses on....Ben ran his mouth just like Cliff Harris did and he got what he deserved...........I love Ben......But Its on the tape.......You dont get in a Man's face on the barttle field unless you are a meaner man that can back it up ........Ben's lip finally got smacked..........Took one for the team i guess.........Oh but he still took one..........

I love it......That is old school..........I just wish the bad penalty calls would go away so we can enjoy a little more old school football..............We got hagged.......[/QUOTE

You need to pay attention Watawnee . . . Seymour said he didnt even remember what Ben Said . . . Steelers Offensive Linemen should have just Smashed His Face into the ground in my opinion.:mad:]

wootawnee
11-23-2010, 01:59 PM
[QUOTE=wootawnee;870112]Watch it again without your homer glasses on....Ben ran his mouth just like Cliff Harris did and he got what he deserved...........I love Ben......But Its on the tape.......You dont get in a Man's face on the barttle field unless you are a meaner man that can back it up ........Ben's lip finally got smacked..........Took one for the team i guess.........Oh but he still took one..........

I love it......That is old school..........I just wish the bad penalty calls would go away so we can enjoy a little more old school football..............We got hagged.......[/QUOTE

You need to pay attention Watawnee . . . Seymour said he didnt even remember what Ben Said . . . Steelers Offensive Linemen should have just Smashed His Face into the ground in my opinion.:mad:]

Sure looked like Ben ran up and said a "smart remark" a little too close..........I just call it the way I see it.......I like Ben alot......I think he was way too close to one of the nasties in the league......The man got 3 rings.......Joe Greene might have done the same thing back in the day........He punched dudes too......Im just saying..........