PDA

View Full Version : Are The Steelers Being Targeted?

Atlanta Dan
11-21-2010, 07:47 PM
The question is out there

The general feeling inside the Steelers' locker room is that it's possible they're being made an example of almost on a weekly basis.

In the new-age NFL where playing punishing defense is becoming increasingly frowned upon, the Steelers (7-3) are the team that most exemplifies that style. The NFL and its most successful franchise have butted heads all season as the league continues to try to pull back the Steel Curtain in the form of heavy fines and penalties.

It was never more clear than Sunday as Pittsburgh pounded the Raiders into submission. A blowout win was clouded by the enormous number of flags showering Heinz Field. Whether it was linebacker James Harrison getting a roughing-the-passer call on a clean play, or safety Ryan Clark wrongfully called for a helmet-to-helmet blow when Clark made contact with the receiver's back, there was no flow to an ugly game dominated by officiating.

In what has become virtually another weekly routine, it's time for the Steelers to await word on possible fines.

"We'll see what happens with those once Wednesday gets here," said Harrison, who has been at the center of the NFL's increased attention to big hits. "The way I see it, I don't think it was a callable flag -- a good, clean hit. I don't know, I guess he felt different.

"We're going to play together no matter what. And when there are a lot of penalties that are going against you, that's going to bring you closer together and you are going to play harder."

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth

After watching that travesty today, i actually think the team is liberated - the refs have been told to call anything so just play it as you always have:thumbsup:

tanda10506
11-21-2010, 07:52 PM
Yes. Plain and simple.

jjpro11
11-21-2010, 07:56 PM
YES!!! we are being targeted.. Dan Rooney needs to board a plane from Ireland and meet that douche-bag Goodell face-to-face and tell him he's running the league into the ground.

Steelerindc
11-21-2010, 07:58 PM
This is the can of worms Roger Goodell has opened. The officiating was horrible today, the Referee should get fined for his performance once who ever governs them watch this footage.

Let's not forget that Bullshit pass interference against Ike Taylor, something has to give.

madtowndrunkard
11-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Something that has never been mentioned.... the steelers are the cause of this entire crackdown by the NFL. The Mike Webster suit against the NFL set a precedent that sent shock waves through the league. The out come of that suit has actually changed the game it self. The judge/jury said the NFL is liable for the long term well being of players....the NFL now has to pay disability to players who suffered head injuries while playing. I remember when this verdict came down it was said to have cost the NFL billions long term because of this verdict. Future suits are sure to follow if the NFL does not show they are out to protect players from head trauma.

We are now seeing those effects. The Rooney's supported Mike Webster and from what I hear they were not happy about the NFL's stance on his mental health. So it shouldn't shock anyone to see the league making an example out of the steelers. Was it coincidence that the first move made by the new commissioner was to break up the Rooney's ownership of the steelers? Then last season Goodall suspends Ben for 4 games...even though he was never charged with any crime? Seems to me that Goodall has been after the steelers / Rooney's since he took over.

SH-Rock
11-21-2010, 08:05 PM
Something that has never been mentioned.... the steelers are the cause of this entire crackdown by the NFL. The Mike Webster suit against the NFL set a precedent that sent shock waves through the league. The out come of that suit has actually changed the game it self. The judge/jury said the NFL is liable for the long term well being of players....the NFL now has to pay disability to players who suffered head injuries while playing. I remember when this verdict came down it was said to have cost the NFL billions long term because of this verdict. Future suits are sure to follow if the NFL does not show they are out to protect players from head trauma.

We are now seeing those effects. The Rooney's supported Mike Webster and from what I hear they were not happy about the NFL's stance on his mental health. So it shouldn't shock anyone to see the league making an example out of the steelers. Was it coincidence that the first move made by the new commissioner was to break up the Rooney's ownership of the steelers? Then last season Goodall suspends Ben for 4 games...even though he was never charged with any crime? Seems to me that Goodall has been after the steelers / Rooney's since he took over.

There's a difference between protecting the player, and BS calls

Harrison's hits on the receivers did deserve the flag but not the penalty because the receiver was ready for the hit. The hit on the Campbell was absolutely BS and didn't deserve to be flagged.

steelcity1974
11-21-2010, 08:07 PM
Yes, no question about it. Any unbiased person who watched today's game would conclude the steelers were targets. How do they call all those penalties on us...but they miss very simple calls like that D holding on the raiders on that 3rd down pass to sanders. Or when Hines was tackled in the end zone on the pass to wallace. Today was a joke...what's really unbelieveable is how we overcame it all to not only win...but to win 35-3...amazing. I hope the steelers play with a chip on their shoulder the rest of the season and force that dick goodell to hand them a 7th...and have that other dick j.jones sit there with a plastic look on his face while we win one in his building.

TRH
11-21-2010, 08:08 PM

Understood. But the Webster thing really doesn't fall with "the Steelers". Thats football in general.
It appears the rumor that Goodell is a Patriots fan seems to be more and more true. No excuse for the Pats player last week to not have been fined.
The problem with the NFL office taking out against Pittsburgh is that its ridicously blatant and its starting to be exposed by everyone. it's unsustainable.

Atlanta Dan
11-21-2010, 08:08 PM
Gregg Doyel with CBS Sportsline chimes in

This was a physical game, and don't let the awful officiating confuse the issue. The box score shows that Pittsburgh was penalized 14 times for a franchise-record 163 yards, compared to seven penalties for 55 yards against the Raiders, but that's misleading. The referees were terrible. I'm not much for conspiracy theories, but the officiating was so one-sided -- some of the calls against Pittsburgh so mystifying -- that I researched the background of referee Tony Corrente. Just out of curiosity.

Me, I'm curious about Goodell's reaction to Seymour -- and the officiating

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14333075/slaphappy-seymour-deserves-big-hit-even-after-steelers-smackdown

I have always laughed at anyone who claims the refs are targeting a team - after today i am calling into question my assumption for the last 4 decades as a fan that the refs play it straight

steelcity1974
11-21-2010, 08:10 PM
Watching NBC football night and dungy said harrison will hear from the front office about his personal foul today. What??? It better be an apology..and maybe a rebate check to account for the bad calls. Even Dan Fouts calling the game said that was a terrible call. Come on dungy!

TRH
11-21-2010, 08:11 PM
see....
Even people outside of Pittsburgh are starting to take notice. Thats good for the Steelers.

jjpro11
11-21-2010, 08:23 PM
what sucks is the NFL knows they can target the Steelers now and nobody outside of Pittsburgh will give a damn.. we deserve it because the league has done it's job in convincing everyone our team is the dirtiest in the league.. and we deserve every flag thrown against us because we benefited from some calls in Super Bowl XL. we have a QB who has been labeled a rapist, despite not ever being charged with anything.. so he deserves every cheap shot thrown his way as well. that's the grim reality of it. it's the Steelers and their fans against the NFL and everyone else.

Atlanta Dan
11-21-2010, 08:30 PM
Watching NBC football night and dungy said harrison will hear from the front office about his personal foul today. What??? It better be an apology..and maybe a rebate check to account for the bad calls. Even Dan Fouts calling the game said that was a terrible call. Come on dungy!

Dungy is hopeless - notice how nobody on the networks is going near the bullshit Clark call for helmet to helmet contact?

SH-Rock
11-21-2010, 08:34 PM
what sucks is the NFL knows they can target the Steelers now and nobody outside of Pittsburgh will give a damn.. we deserve it because the league has done it's job in convincing everyone our team is the dirtiest in the league.. and we deserve every flag thrown against us because we benefited from some calls in Super Bowl XL. we have a QB who has been labeled a rapist, despite not ever being charged with anything.. so he deserves every cheap shot thrown his way as well. that's the grim reality of it. it's the Steelers and their fans against the NFL and everyone else.

If we had Holmes it'd been worse right now

ZoneBlitzer
11-21-2010, 08:46 PM
Without a doubt the Steelers and the Rooneys are being made examples of. There is a national witch hunt against this team and James Harrison. If I'm Kanye West, I'd be up on the stage saying, "Goodell doesn't like the Steelers".

SH-Rock
11-21-2010, 08:50 PM
Without a doubt the Steelers and the Rooneys are being made examples of. There is a national witch hunt against this team and James Harrison. If I'm Kanye West, I'd be up on the stage saying, "Goodell doesn't like the Steelers".

Does Kanye watch football avidly? Maybe he will

TRH
11-21-2010, 08:58 PM
the only good i see right now is the fact that people outside of Pittsburgh ARE taking notice. I've noticed it on various websites, blogs, and TV analysis just today.
The NFL can't hide the vendetta against Pittsburgh for long, its just too blatant. Not to mention, the Steelers have the widest fanbase and sell the most merchandise.
I honestly think Goodell is a bit jealous of our team/franchise.
Interesting to see what happens from the league front office, both against us and for us.

tony hipchest
11-21-2010, 09:05 PM
I have always laughed at anyone who claims the refs are targeting a team - after today i am calling into question my assumption for the last 4 decades as a fan that the refs play it straight

rooney lobbied for roger goodell. rooney was the one to personally greet him and inform him he got the job. he was also the first owner goodell went after with a fine-

Steelers' Rooney fined $25K for criticizing officials
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2641027

Pittsburgh Steelers owner Dan Rooney, who all but served as the campaign manager for new NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, on Friday was hit hard by the man he helped shepherd into office less than three months ago.

roger goodell has had a huge hard-on for the rooneys ever since his attempts failed to force the team to sell to corporate billionaire stanley drukenmiller. his nfl vision is for globalization with owners such as kraft, snyder, and jones.

ma and pa familly owned franchises are being weeded out.... especially the ones with as much influence as the rooneys.

the rooneys arent going down w/o a fight and unfortunately it is costing them. i see things getting worst with these arbitrary rules and the selective "enforcement" of them before it gets better.

MattsMe
11-21-2010, 09:08 PM
Here's another one:

Pittsburgh Steelers done wrong by NFL
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Pittsburgh-Steelers-treated-wrong-by-NFL-112110
Trust me: The Steelers have every reason to feel paranoid after Sunday’s officiating debacle.

Atlanta Dan
11-21-2010, 09:13 PM
rooney lobbied for roger goodell. rooney was the one to personally greet him and inform him he got the job. he was also the first owner goodell went after with a fine-

Steelers' Rooney fined $25K for criticizing officials
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2641027

roger goodell has had a huge hard-on for the rooneys ever since his attempts failed to force the team to sell to corporate billionaire stanley drukenmiller. his nfl vision is for globalization with owners such as kraft, snyder, and jones.

ma and pa familly owned franchises are being weeded out.... especially the ones with as much influence as the rooneys.

the rooneys arent going down w/o a fight and unfortunately it is costing them. i see things getting worst with these arbitrary rules and the selective "enforcement" of them before it gets better.

TH - I do not believe it involves a hostility to small market teams - it involves Goodell's goal to turn the NFL into the NBA in cleats - the Rooney family knows that was not what made the NFL the popular sport it is today

Another Pats-Colts "classic" today - 31-28 with the game ending on a botched pass by Manning - defense non-existent - I am certain the ratings will be great and Goodell will be thrilled

TRH
11-21-2010, 09:16 PM
TH - I do not believe it involves a hostility to small market teams - it involves Goodell's goal to turn the NFL into the NBA in cleats

Another Pats-Colts "classic" today - 31-28 with the game ending on a botched pass by Manning - defense non-existent - I am certain the ratings will be great and Goodell will be thrilled

Exactly. He would have liked it even better if it would have been 61-58. This will eventually backfire. Its foolish. Already happened in baseball.

austinfrench76
11-21-2010, 11:40 PM
Absolutely being targeted. F#@* Puss-dell!! Let's keep playing Steelers football!!!!

madtowndrunkard
11-22-2010, 12:05 AM
IMO every player on the team should all agree to split fines amongst ever player on the team. layers. Take Harrison's fines for example. Those $100K in fines would only cost each player about $2000. After these guys are getting fined for doing their job and helping the team win. The entire team is benefiting from the plays these guys are getting fined for. So why not split it up? If the team makes the playoffs their bonuses will easily make up for any fines payed out.

madtowndrunkard
11-22-2010, 12:32 AM
All I know is thank God the officials are letting the opponents hold our LB's on every down. If they didn't we'd be racking up 15 yard penalties at a record pace with all the QB hits. Harrison would have been suspended by now.

So I think we should all be more thankful for the officials not actually enforcing the rules on our opponents.

CaliStillersFan
11-22-2010, 07:27 AM

I love it because the Steelers play their best ball when they play with that chip on their shoulders. Keep screwing with our team and all that hate will bring us number 7.

BRING THE HATE HATERS!!!!

:tt04:

Whodis
11-22-2010, 07:36 AM
Gregg Doyel with CBS Sportsline chimes in

This was a physical game, and don't let the awful officiating confuse the issue. The box score shows that Pittsburgh was penalized 14 times for a franchise-record 163 yards, compared to seven penalties for 55 yards against the Raiders, but that's misleading. The referees were terrible. I'm not much for conspiracy theories, but the officiating was so one-sided -- some of the calls against Pittsburgh so mystifying -- that I researched the background of referee Tony Corrente. Just out of curiosity.

Me, I'm curious about Goodell's reaction to Seymour -- and the officiating

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14333075/slaphappy-seymour-deserves-big-hit-even-after-steelers-smackdown

Coming from Gregg Doyel is pretty impressive.
He's a good writer and not your everyday blogger

Whodis
11-22-2010, 07:43 AM
The only fine I feel would be worth it would be one going to Mike Tomlin criticizing the NFL for the horrible officiating of the game.

Instead we get

"I'm not going to question the officiating," Tomlin said. "We're going to play football and we're going to play it as fairly as we can and as cleanly as we can. And that's what we did (against the Raiders)."

I would question the officiating and demand answers

mikegrimey
11-22-2010, 08:56 AM
I'm also a person who generally derides people that accuse officals of bias or intentional penalizing but yesterday was simply absurd.

There was the heinous roughing the passer call on Woodley, where Woodley even help up his two hands and slowed down considerably to avoid harming Jason Campbell.

Then there was a bad call on Clark, there was no helmet to helmet contact on the hit in question, not even shoulder to helmet, in fact, no helmets contacted at all.

Then the James Harrison RTP, which was less egregious than the call on Woodley but still very bad. Unfortunately Harrison is being targeted as the poster child for the "wrong" way to hit/tackle, I'm really glad he is having a great season to shove it in all his detractor's face.

Then, on the Richard Seymour penalty, why is it that Kemo drew a penalty too just for defending his QB? That was inexplicable to me.
Also there was at least one ticky tack "illegal contact" penalty on Taylor and another questionable PI call.

Like I said I make a living mocking people who cry about biased officiating but the game yesterday was terrible. Almost reminded me of that STeelers/Chargers regular season game in 08. At least we can rest easy knowing that we won handily in spite of these silly calls and this crew did such a bad job there should be no way they get to officiate the playoffs.

WeegiesWarriors
11-22-2010, 09:04 AM
There could be legs to the notion that the Steelers are targetted. Tomlin has repeatedly used the word "violent" when describing how he wants his defense to play, and that might be coming back to haunt him.

There could be a theory that if you tame the Pittsburgh Steelers... the wildest, most violent defensive rogues in the game that the rest will fall in line.

Back in the day when posters were king (hello 1980's)... a perfect one would be of Harrison, adorning the Black and Gold, being restrained like Hannibal Lecter in "Silence of the Lambs".

CaliStillersFan
11-22-2010, 09:09 AM
I agree they earned most of the penalties against them yesterday, the defense was overly amped up yesterday and it showed but the ones you mentioned plus the lame holding call on Hines were ridiculous and took 2 TD's off the board. I can't even rationalize Harrison's RTP call. He didn't hit him low, he didn't hit him high or in the helmet. He didn't pile drive him or slam him to the ground. He hit Campbell square in the chest and landed on him, what is he supposed to do? He actually could have hit him WAAAAAAYYYYY harder, I thought he pulled up.

madtowndrunkard
11-22-2010, 09:21 AM
The only fine I feel would be worth it would be one going to Mike Tomlin criticizing the NFL for the horrible officiating of the game.

Instead we get

"I'm not going to question the officiating," Tomlin said. "We're going to play football and we're going to play it as fairly as we can and as cleanly as we can. And that's what we did (against the Raiders)."

I would question the officiating and demand answers

The problem is this is a fight that Tomlin cannot win. What do think would happen? Do you think the NFL will watch the game tape....then say " these officials are suspended until a complete investigation can be done" ? Yea I don't think so. When you have the police, policing them selves don't expect any crack downs or expose's on their own behavior. The last thing the NFL wants to do is give support to the belief that NFL officiating is rigged. I'm sure the NFL really appreciated the Steelers going public with the "apologies" last week vs Cinci. This game looked to me like retaliation for the Steelers bad talking officials and going public with admissions. Tomlin could have blasted the officials and he'd get a fine and next week or maybe come playoff time we'll get hosed again to teach us a lesson. You cannot win. The toughest and smartest thing Tomlin could have done was to shut his mouth. We all saw what happened. He didn't need to say a thing. This is Rooney's battle, not Tomlin.

IMO it's approaching WWF ridiculousness. The NFL is making a joke of the game. Everything we know about the game is no longer true. You can fumble, but be called down because at the exact second the player fumbled. his wrist touched the ground. (anyone watch the Giants game?) 10 years ago that's a fumble. It's absolutely stupid. You can no longer tackle a QB. If you try to tackle anyone with your shoulder and you miss at all...flag! The only way any of this gets fixed is if the owners demand Goodall to tone it down.

Imagine if the rules were like they were 20 years ago. All of these fumbles that get reversed would be fumbles. All of these TD's that appear to be stuffed at the LOS would be reversed. The roughing the passer penalties gone...The patriots never would have won 3 SB's. O-lineman would not be allowed to hold defenders on ever play. The outcomes of games would be totally different. This would be a running league. Scores would be lower. The record books would be totally re written. The league has changed the rules to encourage passing and lots of scoring. It worked for MLB so the NFL thinks it will work for them. Any team that dares to get in the way will be punished.

TRH
11-22-2010, 09:26 AM
The problem is this is a fight that Tomlin cannot win. What do think would happen? Do you think the NFL will watch the game tape....then say " these officials are suspended until a complete investigation can be done" ? Yea I don't think so. When you have the police, policing them selves don't expect any crack downs or expose's on their own behavior. The last thing the NFL wants to do is give support to the belief that NFL officiating is rigged. I'm sure the NFL really appreciated the Steelers going public with the "apologies" last week vs Cinci. This game looked to me like retaliation for the Steelers bad talking officials and going public with admissions. Tomlin could have blasted the officials and he'd get a fine and next week or maybe come playoff time we'll get hosed again to teach us a lesson. You cannot win. The toughest and smartest thing Tomlin could have done was to shut his mouth. We all saw what happened. He didn't need to say a thing. This is Rooney's battle, not Tomlin.

IMO it's approaching WWF ridiculousness. The NFL is making a joke of the game. Everything we know about the game is no longer true. You can fumble, but be called down because at the exact second the player fumbled. his wrist touched the ground. (anyone watch the Giants game?) 10 years ago that's a fumble. It's absolutely stupid. You can no longer tackle a QB. If you try to tackle anyone with your shoulder and you miss at all...flag! The only way any of this gets fixed is if the owners demand Goodall to tone it down.

Imagine if the rules were like they were 20 years ago. All of these fumbles that get reversed would be fumbles. All of these TD's that appear to be stuffed at the LOS would be reversed. The roughing the passer penalties gone...The patriots never would have won 3 SB's. O-lineman would not be allowed to hold defenders on ever play. The outcomes of games would be totally different. This would be a running league. Scores would be lower. The record books would be totally re written. The league has changed the rules to encourage passing and lots of scoring. It worked for MLB so the NFL thinks it will work for them. Any team that dares to get in the way will be punished.

Spot on.
If a coach, or even a player, publicly, whether in a press conference or in any kind of newspaper interview, blasts the officials and officiating.....it's instant huge fine. Not that i agree with that either though....i think they should be able to speak out.
This will be up to Rooney and Tomlin to make another private, formal complaint to the league this week.
Do expect one thing : The Steelers will get a public apology, similar to the one they received a couple weeks back, about the incorrect blunder of a call on the Ryan Clark helmet-to-helmet flag....where in fact there was no such thing. Hugely obvious.

plenewken
11-22-2010, 09:41 AM
Spot on.
If a coach, or even a player, publicly, whether in a press conference or in any kind of newspaper interview, blasts the officials and officiating.....it's instant huge fine. Not that i agree with that either though....i think they should be able to speak out.
This will be up to Rooney and Tomlin to make another private, formal complaint to the league this week.
Do expect one thing : The Steelers will get a public apology, similar to the one they received a couple weeks back, about the incorrect blunder of a call on the Ryan Clark helmet-to-helmet flag....where in fact there was no such thing. Hugely obvious.

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that the rules of the game were suggested, discussed and voted on by NFL owners/coaches. Did I miss something?

madtowndrunkard
11-22-2010, 10:06 AM
Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that the rules of the game were suggested, discussed and voted on by NFL owners/coaches. Did I miss something?

The coaches don't have a say. The owners do. It appears to me that the NFL owners agreed they needed to protect players heads....mostly QB's and WR's. This will achieve 2 things...one less injuries to your most expensive players on the field....and more importantly it will drive up scoring. I just wonder if the owners realized the implications of their decision. I think it's playing out a lot different then maybe they had envisioned because most of them do not totally understand the technical aspect of actually playing the game. Their decision was made purely on a financial basis...when they should have considered the quality of the product. This is an experiment that was poorly implemented with little thought of the actual implications. It was a knee jerk reaction to a law suit and an increase in QB hits. Like most knee jerk reactions...it back fired.

The fans are outraged...the players are out raged.....but the media isn't going to be our voice. They are not going to bite the hand that feeds them.

CaliStillersFan
11-22-2010, 10:12 AM
They need to be honest and just say that the rules are flexible depending on whose committing the penalty and whether they are behind or not. That fumble not a fumble was a perfect example of that last night in the Giants/Eagles game. If the Eagles were losing, it would have been a fumble no question, but since NY was marching for the comeback, they gave a lame excuse as to why it wasn't a fumble. It's like the rulebook is completely subjective now.