PDA

View Full Version : Post-Oakland thoughts

mesaSteeler
11-22-2010, 06:21 AM
NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop. Dale can also be heard on Tuesday nights throughout the season from 7 to 9 p.m. on WBGG 970-AM.

Sunday, November 21, 2010
Post-Oakland thoughts

Was that a dominant enough performance to end any thoughts of a meltdown ala. 2009?

It should have been.

The Steelers dominated the Raiders in every fashion with the lone exception being when Rashard Mendenhall was running the ball.

Outside of that, the Steelers should have won this game by 50.

It was that dominant of a performance and the Raiders were that overwhelmed.

Much of the discussion regarding this game will be on the officiating.

The Steelers were penalized for six personal fouls and the Raiders had a player, Richard Seymour, ejected for punching Ben Roethlisberger after he threw a touchdown pass to make it 21-3.

It will be interesting to see the fines that come down from this one and you can bet your last dollar that the Steelers will be watching closely.

The call against James Harrison for tackling Jason Campbell with his full body weight was iffy. Harrison let up at the end of the play.

But he'll probably draw another fine because of who he is.

The call against LaMarr Woodley for roughing Campbell was ridiculous. Woodley bumped Campbell, who went down, tripping Woodley.

The call against Ryan Clark for a helmet-to-helmet hit should have been a personal foul. It just shouldn't have been for helmet-to-helmet contact.

Clark put his helmet into the receiver's back and should have been penalized for hitting a defenseless receiver - if anything.

But the only way that was a helmet-to-helmet hit by Clark is if the receiver was wearing his helmet on his back.

The officials flat out lost control of this game and obviously decided at halftime - after Seymour's ejection - that they were going to regain control.

Hence, we had 11 flags thrown in the third quarter.

What in the world were Harrison, Woodley and Roethlisberger doing in the game late in the fourth quarter after all the other starters had been pulled with the Steelers holding a 28-3 lead?

Just asking.

It was nice to see Troy Polamalu up in the box more often in this one instead of playing deep centerfield.

It still amazes me every time Mike Wallace runs by defenders like they're standing still.

SteelKnight
11-22-2010, 07:05 AM
1. I don't mind Ben, Harrison and Woodley staying in the game. Honestly, those three have been rusty this year and all 3 could use more practice. Any practice before the Baltimore game is good. Granted some of the trouble for W and H may be how teams are adjusting to them but they need to readjust and overcome that.

Ben needs to work on his accuracy. In addition, I tend to like having the QB continuing to get real action (Brady does it). It helps his stats (sucks if every time he's having a good game you pull him...like that 5 TD night ben had in Balt a few years ago...maybe he could have had 7). In addition if you want back up receivers to REALLY get better, they need to play with a real arm throwing to them. There is a chemistry between Ben, the line and the WR that needs work.

2. I, for one, was happy to see ARE replaced at both 3rd WR and PR. We can clearly see Brown has more to offer. He at least offers the POTENTIAL of a score or great field position. I believe if he returned punts the whole year he might have 2 TDs from it and several more for good yardage. I can guarantee ARE would have zero. Sanders is good and will get better once he is in sync with Ben. He has some drops and miscommunications but he's a rookie and the best way for him to learn is to play. I'm glad Ben keeps going to him though.

The Steelers have 3 young talented WR in Wallace, Sanders and Brown. They should be working to develop them. Let ARE, and battle stay on the bench.

Eventually Ward may retire. This may be his last. If I were him, I might retire after this year and do TV. He has a famous enough name, speaks well, and is well respected enough. It's good to retire on top. You don't want the fans thinking you've lost your stuff. They should send him deep sometimes. I think it is hurting his game that defenders know he will never go deep.

steeltheone
11-22-2010, 07:30 AM
We need Hines to stay another year or so. As long as he does not have to carry the load he still has alot to offer!

SteelKnight
11-22-2010, 07:41 AM
We need Hines to stay another year or so. As long as he does not have to carry the load he still has alot to offer!

Yeah. He is a good teacher and can come through in the clutch. I don't want his skills to go down though. They cut the internet feeds so I didn't get to see the game from mid second quarter until the end. I don't know ow Ward was playing...but it looks like from the stats he is fading away. IDK.

I think Sanders would be fine next year. Players step up if they know they will be Starters and are expected to be on. He would shake that rookie tag. Then we could insert Sweed...I mean Brown as the slot guy. He's fast so teams would have to worry about him and Wallace. Not now...Next year.

I know we would be missing the tough guy over the middle catches...hopefully miller can step up for those.

CaliStillersFan
11-22-2010, 07:44 AM
I've never been a fan of ARE's unless he's running a gadget play. I hope they keep starting both Brown and Sanders. They are way more talented as raw rookies than ARE ever was throughout his career. I was also glad to see Brown back returning kicks yesterday. I think Sanders is the better receiver but Brown is the better return man, we need them both active.

*edit - and BTW I hope Hines stays forever, make him a WR coach after he retires and maybe OC one day :)

plenewken
11-22-2010, 07:50 AM
What about the crappy field? How much longer are we going to embarrass ourselves on national TV with a field in such poor condition? This is unacceptable.
Anyone watched Pats-Colts after the game? Boston doesn't have worse weather conditions than Pittsburgh, yet they use state of the art turf. Oh and they also slaughtered us on our natural grass field so, so much for the home advantage.

WeegiesWarriors
11-22-2010, 07:57 AM
About what I thought we'd do to Oakland. They're offensive strength is our defensive strength. They had no ability to come in and spread us out and throw 50 times. They knew that, Steelers knew that, and even I knew that.

Point being who cares? This game solves nothing about the fact that the Steeler D is highly susceptible to being spread out and picked apart by above average NFL QBs. I'm old school and happy anytime we slaughter the Raiders, but Steeler goals are higher than anything to do with the Oakland Raiders.

CaliStillersFan
11-22-2010, 07:59 AM
I know they've tried a few different kinds of surfaces over the years but it always ends the same this time of year. There has to something out there better than what the Rooney's are paying for because you're right, other teams fields with the same weather don't seem to have the same issues.

plenewken
11-22-2010, 08:12 AM
I know they've tried a few different kinds of surfaces over the years but it always ends the same this time of year. There has to something out there better than what the Rooney's are paying for because you're right, other teams fields with the same weather don't seem to have the same issues.

They don't have the same issues because most don't use natural grass like us. Ours is a mix of natural and artificial but obviously there's something wrong with the way it holds here. Philadelphia has the same turf and it holds better.
Maybe if Goodell fines the Rooneys for the awful quality of our field they'll finally do something about it.

steeltheone
11-22-2010, 08:46 AM
Yeah. He is a good teacher and can come through in the clutch. I don't want his skills to go down though. They cut the internet feeds so I didn't get to see the game from mid second quarter until the end. I don't know ow Ward was playing...but it looks like from the stats he is fading away. IDK.

I think Sanders would be fine next year. Players step up if they know they will be Starters and are expected to be on. He would shake that rookie tag. Then we could insert Sweed...I mean Brown as the slot guy. He's fast so teams would have to worry about him and Wallace. Not now...Next year.

I know we would be missing the tough guy over the middle catches...hopefully miller can step up for those.

Problem is Miller has to block so much because of our average line. Hines still gets attention which helps the younger guys get open!

ZoneBlitzer
11-22-2010, 12:28 PM
1. I don't mind Ben, Harrison and Woodley staying in the game. Honestly, those three have been rusty this year and all 3 could use more practice. Any practice before the Baltimore game is good. Granted some of the trouble for W and H may be how teams are adjusting to them but they need to readjust and overcome that.

Ben needs to work on his accuracy. In addition, I tend to like having the QB continuing to get real action (Brady does it). It helps his stats (sucks if every time he's having a good game you pull him...like that 5 TD night ben had in Balt a few years ago...maybe he could have had 7). In addition if you want back up receivers to REALLY get better, they need to play with a real arm throwing to them. There is a chemistry between Ben, the line and the WR that needs work.

2. I, for one, was happy to see ARE replaced at both 3rd WR and PR. We can clearly see Brown has more to offer. He at least offers the POTENTIAL of a score or great field position. I believe if he returned punts the whole year he might have 2 TDs from it and several more for good yardage. I can guarantee ARE would have zero. Sanders is good and will get better once he is in sync with Ben. He has some drops and miscommunications but he's a rookie and the best way for him to learn is to play. I'm glad Ben keeps going to him though.

The Steelers have 3 young talented WR in Wallace, Sanders and Brown. They should be working to develop them. Let ARE, and battle stay on the bench.

Eventually Ward may retire. This may be his last. If I were him, I might retire after this year and do TV. He has a famous enough name, speaks well, and is well respected enough. It's good to retire on top. You don't want the fans thinking you've lost your stuff. They should send him deep sometimes. I think it is hurting his game that defenders know he will never go deep.

Agreed. I would say that it is almost urgent to accelerate the development of the young wideouts. ARE is a dog who has had his day.

Third Rail
11-22-2010, 12:43 PM
They don't have the same issues because they don't use natural grass like us.
Maybe if Goodell fines the Rooneys for the awful quality of our field they'll finally do something about it.

I heard somewhere that Neil O'Donnell sells turf now. Maybe we should give him a call. :chuckle: