PDA

View Full Version : what is cowher worth?/ j. fox extended

tony hipchest
03-28-2006, 07:49 PM
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FBN_PANTHERS_FOX?SITE=PAPIT&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=sports.htm

the carolina coach who had 2 years remaining on his contract was extended to 2010 at $5 mil./yr. i think cowher is about to become the richest coach. especially if his house in n.c. is a contract ploy, to get the rooneys thinking and acting. hes worth it.

Midnightwriter1
03-28-2006, 07:57 PM
I dont think the house in N.C has anything to do with anything other than that is where he wants to retire. The man is 48 and can afford a second home/ vacation home. I thin kthe media made a lil too much of that and is fun for people to specualte. Pay the man whatever he wants.

PisnNapalm
03-28-2006, 09:00 PM
I don't know if there's ever been a better fit between coach and city/franchise.

TasmanianTroy271
03-28-2006, 10:00 PM
I think as long as Cowher wants to coach professional football, he'll be coaching it here. I don't think he's gonna go sign with any other team, and I don't think the Rooneys'll ever release him. He'll be here as long as he wants to.

Suitanim
03-29-2006, 09:12 AM
I agree...the Rooneys are gonna shell out some phat jack...and it's money well spent.

clevestinks
03-29-2006, 10:34 AM
I don't know if there's ever been a better fit between coach and city/franchise.
BINGO! Enough said ! I totally agree!

Eztarget
03-29-2006, 03:39 PM
NC is a beautiful state (out west in the mountains). I'd have a vacation home there as well if I had the coin.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-29-2006, 07:47 PM
Cowher has basically gotten himself a lifetime contract as HC.As long as he wants to coach in Pittsburgh,the Rooney's will let him.Well,unless he starts becoming senile and stuff,then I say let him go.

OX1947
03-29-2006, 07:52 PM
If Cowher goes back to back, I think its safe to say he will be on par with Chuck when it comes to excellent coaches. I say this because of the new era of football and how change is constant. When I think about it, I am more amazed at how Cowher has led the Steelers to 6 confrence title games. Whats even more amazing is how he made a player like kordell Stewart look like a decent QB for as long as he did....

Steelhorse
03-30-2006, 08:24 PM
We couldn't ask for a better coach than Cowher and he is worth every cent that he gets. I could be wrong on this but I remember reading the only reason he has a house in NC is because that is where his wife is from. So I don't think it has the slightest thing to do with a contract bargaining chip

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
03-30-2006, 08:30 PM
I think the WIZ is in training to take over once cowher leaves.

Steelhorse
03-30-2006, 08:36 PM
Wiz would be awesome too - I was really sweating when he made the trip out to the Raiders but I guess he realized how much he is appreciated in the Burgh and what he would be giving up - really glad he stayed and hoping its for a long time

Midnightwriter1
03-30-2006, 08:45 PM
Whiz will be gone after next season... he isnt waiting 10 more yars to be a head coach.. The raiders situation ( working for Al Davis ) just wasnt one he wanted, but next year he will be one of the top coaches gone... He may have been this year if the Steelers didnt go to the Super Bowl.

Steelhorse
03-30-2006, 09:02 PM
Well, I suppose anything is possible, but the Raiders weren't the only game in town this year. What was there, something like 8 open head coach slots this year? I figured if he was gonna leave there was plenty to pick from and he was fresh off a great season. Unless he has one particular team in mind that he's holding out for. If that's the case why even waste the trip to the Raiders. I guess we'll know for sure next year.

Midnightwriter1
03-30-2006, 09:09 PM
Most teams hired a head coach prior to SuperBowl .. there were only a few teams that had not already hired head coach/ done interviews before then... the Raiders being the last. The raiders made an offer to him, but i think he got advise not to take that one and wait it out and go to a diff organization. Davis runs that whole organization top to bottom and coaches dont have much of a say on anything. I think Grimm and Whiz both will be gone... Grimm has been mentioned as well as a candidate for head coaches next season too.

Haiku_Dirtt
03-31-2006, 01:26 PM
It would be very disingenuous for Cohwer to make demands to be the highest paid coach in the NFL.

Granted. It doesn't count against the cap and the windfall the Steelers are experiencing is unprecedented ever in the league. Can you imagine the merchandising bonanza next season!!??

The Danny Schnyder's of the NFL put pressure on the Rooney's of the NFL to keep costs in check. I don't think Cowher is putting a gun to their heads because loyalty is a 2-way road. When Bill was the poster boy for "Never winning the Big One" the Rooneys stepped up which left Cowher-haters 'spitting mad.'

What he's worth and what he gets are not the same. I think he should be a TOP 5 salary. North Carolina is not the Malibu Colony. From what I read he is turning down endorsement deals.