PDA

View Full Version : Thank You For Santonio Holmes

JetsFan17
11-22-2010, 06:53 AM
Hey guys. Jets fan from NYC here. Coming in peace.

Just wanted to drop in to say I'm really anticipating our matchup coming up in December.

But really, I am amazed by Holmes. He is the most clutch player I've maybe ever seen wear a Jets uniform. He's only been here for six games, but he has had huge contributions in each of the Jets' last four victories. I think the fifth round pick has already been well worth it. And I think the trade worked out for both parties involved. The Steelers were fed up with him and probably werent going to re-sign him anyway. And Mike Wallace has been an absolute stud replacement.

So, thanks for Santonio and I anticipate or upcoming game greatly. Look forward to more discussion on the forums.

steelerchad
11-22-2010, 07:24 AM

Just wanted to drop in to say I'm really anticipating our matchup coming up in December.

But really, I am amazed by Holmes. He is the most clutch player I've maybe ever seen wear a Jets uniform. He's only been here for six games, but he has had huge contributions in each of the Jets' last four victories. I think the fifth round pick has already been well worth it. And I think the trade worked out for both parties involved. The Steelers were fed up with him and probably werent going to re-sign him anyway. And Mike Wallace has been an absolute stud replacement.

So, thanks for Santonio and I anticipate or upcoming game greatly. Look forward to more discussion on the forums.

Your right, we weren't going to resign him anyways and Wallace is turning into a star this year and wouldn't have gotten this chance with Santonio. Once again, I think our front office knew what they had in Wallace and made the right call. A 5th round pick isn't much, but Santonio only had a max of 12 games + playoffs left in Pittsburgh and he had worn out his welcome.

For your sake, I hope he's not too happy about the 2 big catches in the last 2 weeks. He might decide to have a party and light up again. I think his next suspension is 8 games.

steeltheone
11-22-2010, 07:34 AM
I was in favor of shipping out the druggie.....But I've never doubted his talent. Wallace is still leaps and bounds behind Holmes at this point.

mikegrimey
11-22-2010, 07:40 AM
I still feel we made a bad move in shipping out a star receiver to a conference rival. It may end up hurting us. I understand the idea of letting Holmes go, but didn't like him going to NY.

JetsFan17
11-22-2010, 07:42 AM
I was in favor of shipping out the druggie.....But I've never doubted his talent. Wallace is still leaps and bounds behind Holmes at this point.

Wallace will get there. The guy is the DeSean Jackson of the AFC. I stole him in the seventh round of a twelve team fantasy league.

plenewken
11-22-2010, 07:42 AM
I still feel we made a bad move in shipping out a star receiver to a conference rival. It may end up hurting us. I understand the idea of letting Holmes go, but didn't like him going to NY.

And much less for a 5th round pick. It was a bad decision, period.

WeegiesWarriors
11-22-2010, 07:43 AM
Can't trust a chronic. That's in all walks of life. They can walk a line for a while, but chronics are chronics. He'll blaze up again.

CaliStillersFan
11-22-2010, 07:54 AM
You're welcome, I still miss Bongtonio, number 6 wouldn't have been possible without him.

He made us potheads proud!!! He proved my point that not everyone that smokes weed is a lazy ass that lives in their mom's basement. I hope he keeps doing well for you except for week 15, I hope he's stoned out of his mind week 15. ;) GL taking the east this year, you guys can't let the pansies win it.

mikegrimey
11-22-2010, 07:57 AM

Word was that they would have cut him cleanly if no team offered a pick for him, it's unfortunate it happened so early in the preseason, had it happened later on when Sydney Rice got injured the Vikings may have been willing to part with a 3rd for him.

SteelerEmpire
11-22-2010, 08:20 AM
Yea. But as a starting receiver, we could not afford him being suspended for an important season game or God forbid, an important playoff game due to his addiction to an illegal controlled substance. The front office could'ent find an answer for that... .... so BAM ! And your welcome...

TRH
11-22-2010, 08:29 AM
you're welcome. He's definitely continuing to be "All-World" and looks to be getting even better.

With Wallace turning into a star and Santonio's off the field struggels and problems here....i still agree with the decision to let him go. It was good for us and good for Santonio as well.

steeltheone
11-22-2010, 08:40 AM
Wallace will get there. The guy is the DeSean Jackson of the AFC. I stole him in the seventh round of a twelve team fantasy league.

Maybe in a keeper league. He is a 3 reciever at best in fantasy this year.

toughsticks87
11-22-2010, 09:48 AM
If the Steelers can't do it this year, than I'll be rooting for the Jets simply because it would piss off all of the Pats fans. With that said, I hated the Holmes trade simply because of the complete lack of value we got for a Super Bowl MVP receiver.

gameface75
11-22-2010, 09:53 AM
The Giant fans thanked us for Plaxico Buress,We won the superbowl that year. Your welcome!

ZoneBlitzer
11-22-2010, 09:59 AM

Don't thank us, thank the idiots in the Front Office. The Steelers love to spend years and waste draft picks on developing talent for other teams. Plus, because they have finally found a franchise QB, they want to mess around with it as much as possible by shipping talent in and out as frequent as possible to keep Ben on his toes.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
11-22-2010, 10:23 AM

We traded Santonio Holmes for Antonio Brown and Bryant McFadden essentially. I would say that's a win for the Steelers.

ricardisimo
11-22-2010, 10:33 AM
It's going to be a good game, for sure. Ironically, the receivers might not play that big a part in it, though.

Third Rail
11-22-2010, 11:49 AM
I still like Santonio, and seeing his play in New York has me really digging what the Jets are up to this year. Hopefully that won't come back to hurt the Steelers, but if it does, well... in my opinion they kinda deserve it. Not the players, but the owners. I understand why they felt the need to ship Holmes out, but they did it in the stupidest way possible. Shipping arguably your most complete receiver to a conference rival that was already a playoff contender to begin with for nothing more than a fifth round pick rivals Brad Childress waiving Randy Moss after 3 weeks as potentially the most boneheaded move of the year. They could have shipped him to the NFC or at least gotten something decent for him. Or - OMG - kept him because... you know... he was only a Super Bowl MVP and arguably the best weapon Ben had. I know the off-the-field crap was annoying, but the way the entire league is falling all over themselves for Michael Vick, I think people could have found it in their hearts to "forgive" Holmes.

DoubleYoi
11-22-2010, 12:03 PM
Don't thank us, thank the idiots in the Front Office. The Steelers love to spend years and waste draft picks on developing talent for other teams. Plus, because they have finally found a franchise QB, they want to mess around with it as much as possible by shipping talent in and out as frequent as possible to keep Ben on his toes.

This whole post is laughable. The Steelers like to waste draft picks, develop talent just to ship it to other teams and play mind games with their franchise QB to keep him on his toes? Were you trying to find a Buccos message board and land here on accident?

The front office got the most they could for Holmes. Maybe they could've waited a little longer to see if injuries changed what teams were offering but I guarantee they didn't pass up a 3rd-round pick for a 5th-rounder. Holmes helped win us a SB but his head was just too big for the locker room. Thanks for your services but you can go play elsewhere.

ZoneBlitzer
11-22-2010, 12:19 PM
This whole post is laughable. The Steelers like to waste draft picks, develop talent just to ship it to other teams and play mind games with their franchise QB to keep him on his toes? Were you trying to find a Buccos message board and land here on accident?

The front office got the most they could for Holmes. Maybe they could've waited a little longer to see if injuries changed what teams were offering but I guarantee they didn't pass up a 3rd-round pick for a 5th-rounder. Holmes helped win us a SB but his head was just too big for the locker room. Thanks for your services but you can go play elsewhere.

I guess we'll agree to a disagree. I consider drafting and player development to be as valuable commodity as much as the player themselves. That takes a lot of time and effort in the organization. Also, value-added chemistry is established on the field. There's addition by subtraction in some instances with toxic personalities yes, but in this case it is subtraction by subtraction IMO. I don't understand how it benefits your franchise QB to take away your weapons. First, they let Plax walk and now, Santonio. Post Plax, they spent several years attempting to reconstruct the receiving corps. They have yet to find Ben that big target. Even Holmes wasn't that big target, but at least he was a threat in the YAC department. I think it is paramount that when you finally land a legitimate franchise QB to surround him with the best talent possible in the time frame that you have him. The Steelers have failed to do that in their continuous tinkering with the wide receiver corps.

Yours Truly, Cedrick Wilson

ZoneBlitzer
11-22-2010, 12:20 PM
I still like Santonio, and seeing his play in New York has me really digging what the Jets are up to this year. Hopefully that won't come back to hurt the Steelers, but if it does, well... in my opinion they kinda deserve it. Not the players, but the owners. I understand why they felt the need to ship Holmes out, but they did it in the stupidest way possible. Shipping arguably your most complete receiver to a conference rival that was already a playoff contender to begin with for nothing more than a fifth round pick rivals Brad Childress waiving Randy Moss after 3 weeks as potentially the most boneheaded move of the year. They could have shipped him to the NFC or at least gotten something decent for him. Or - OMG - kept him because... you know... he was only a Super Bowl MVP and arguably the best weapon Ben had. I know the off-the-field crap was annoying, but the way the entire league is falling all over themselves for Michael Vick, I think people could have found it in their hearts to "forgive" Holmes.

Right on brother.

Third Rail
11-22-2010, 12:23 PM
Well, one thing that should be considered here.

Apologists for the Steelers' O-Line always like to say "they're built for the run, not the pass." While I have my doubts that they are built for ANYTHING most of the time, let's say for a second that that assumption is true. If that's truly what the front office thinks, then why would you invest in a franchise quarterback whose specialty is extending plays? That type of QB needs good receivers who can get away from the defensive backs, and needs a line that can pass block efficiently. It might sound like catering to one player, but the quarterback IS the most important player on the field, hands down.

But what does the FO do? Surrounds Ben with an O-Line that can't pass block and ships his best receiver out of town. Now granted, they might (finally) be catching on that you can fit a square peg into a round hole, so they made an upgrade at center in the last draft and some of the WRs like Wallace and Sanders are starting to emerge. But I still question why they seem to think that assembling a unit out of parts that don't quite fit together is a way to reap success.

rbryan
11-22-2010, 01:19 PM
I still say the Big Ben fiasco had as much to do with Holmes being shipped out as anything. If not for that he would have been given one more chance IMO.

They had to make an example of someone and you knew they weren't going to get rid of Big Ben.

Who knows how this would have played out if he didn't get his wake up call?? For all we know he may have already got popped again and be done for the rest of the year.

Lord of Lombardi
11-22-2010, 01:31 PM
Jets ownership should be thanking us as well as their fans. After all, Santonio's illegitimate kids and multiple mothers of them fill half the stadium. Enjoy the problems that this talented thug brings with him. He deserves NY and NY deserves him. Just like Burress.

I'll take Wallace as he fits the Steeler mold and has double the speed.

rbryan
11-22-2010, 01:46 PM
To compare him with Burress isn't really fair. He at least contributed for a few years before heading off to the Big House.

Holmes got his wake up call but it's just a matter of time before this new found attention leads to him thinking he's above the law again.

ricardisimo
11-22-2010, 02:40 PM
You know what... he's a stoner. So what? Why does anyone care about petty stuff like that? I don't believe he's been dealing crack, or trafficking firearms or pimping, at least not that I've heard.

He's also full of himself, from what I can tell, and way too pleased with himself whenever he makes even the simplest catch. That actually bothered me more than his pothead ways. I'm glad he's doing well for the Jets, and I hope he keeps it going.

steelerjim58
11-22-2010, 02:44 PM
To compare him with Burress isn't really fair. He at least contributed for a few years before heading off to the Big House.

Holmes got his wake up call but it's just a matter of time before this new found attention leads to him thinking he's above the law again.

I'm curious, how many of you don't think that there are at least 5 guys on the roster right now who get high regularly?

MaidenIndiana
11-22-2010, 02:53 PM
I'm curious, how many of you don't think that there are at least 5 guys on the roster right now who get high regularly?
I'm firing up right now......OH NO!!! I'm out of Twinkies and Cheetos:banging:

ricardisimo
11-22-2010, 02:56 PM
I'm firing up right now......OH NO!!! I'm out of Twinkies and Cheetos:banging:
Dude... pass that spliff.

Atlanta Dan
11-22-2010, 03:01 PM

But how many continue to get high after they have failed a drug test and now are subject to random testing?

There was more to saying adios to Holmes than the 4 game suspension for testing positive for THC - hate to see a talent like that leave when he is on a contract year drive, but the Jets will find out soon enough that Holmes (who some teams had off their draft boards in 2006 based on off the field issues) is a time bomb

When Burress first went to the Giants there was the same happy talk about what a stand up guy he had become - we know how that ended up

Hard to be something you are not for long

rbryan
11-22-2010, 03:05 PM

Considering it's a quick ticket out the door from your million dollar job I would hope that anyone smoking would at least have a plan on getting around the testing.....or at the very least not be stupid enough to drive around town smoking a fatty in your blinged out ride with illegal tint and expired tags.

Not trying to be a hypocrit....but these guys have thier whole life to be knuckleheads once the football career is over.

mikegrimey
11-22-2010, 03:41 PM
You know what... he's a stoner. So what? Why does anyone care about petty stuff like that? I don't believe he's been dealing crack, or trafficking firearms or pimping, at least not that I've heard.

He's also full of himself, from what I can tell, and way too pleased with himself whenever he makes even the simplest catch. That actually bothered me more than his pothead ways. I'm glad he's doing well for the Jets, and I hope he keeps it going.

I agree with most of your post.

From a personal standpoint I see absolutley nothing wrong with smoking marijuana, except that these players know they will be punished by the NFL if they are caught.
Just like me being in the military, even though I'd like to, I can't do things like that because it can put my job in jeporday. It's sad that some of these privlidged athletes risk what they have.

Also in agreement about the show boating of Holmes. It irritated me to see the muscle flexing after every first down catch.

SteelCityMom
11-22-2010, 04:04 PM
Yeah, I've got to agree with others as well (about the pot). I'm all for it being legal and whatnot and could care less if he enjoys smoking it...but damn, I quit smoking for jobs making A LOT less than he is and never had an issue. I mean, it's just pot...if you love it, fine, but if someone is paying you millions of dollars and one of the catches is you have to quit smoking it...QUIT SMOKING IT!

Hayeksheroes
11-22-2010, 04:20 PM
Yea. But as a starting receiver, we could not afford him being suspended for an important season game or God forbid, an important playoff game due to his addiction to an illegal controlled substance. The front office could'ent find an answer for that... .... so BAM ! And your welcome...

Grass. Please.

jjpro11
11-22-2010, 05:05 PM
look at it this way.. if we didn't get rid of Holmes, we probably wouldn't have drafted both Sanders and Brown.. maybe neither one. no, they're not on Holmes' level.. at least not at this point in their careers.. but they both seem like solid picks.. Sanders has already jumped ARE as the #3 receiver... Brown looks to be a very solid return man, and has plenty of potential at receiver as well. Holmes was gone after this season anyhow. at least we got two good young receivers to take his place.

theplatypus
11-22-2010, 05:16 PM
But how many continue to get high after they have failed a drug test and now are subject to random testing?

There was more to saying adios to Holmes than the 4 game suspension for testing positive for THC - hate to see a talent like that leave when he is on a contract year drive, but the Jets will find out soon enough that Holmes (who some teams had off their draft boards in 2006 based on off the field issues) is a time bomb

When Burress first went to the Giants there was the same happy talk about what a stand up guy he had become - we know how that ended up

Hard to be something you are not for long

I've been wondering for a while if some of our "locker room problems" last year might have been attributed to Holmes. Maybe the front office really didn't want too deal with two suspensions this year, but I've got a feeling something else was going on as well.

dyce23
11-22-2010, 05:42 PM
Maybe in a keeper league. He is a 3 reciever at best in fantasy this year.

Are you serious? I mean, let's remember that we played 4 games without Ben. Wallace is still 7th in the league in yardage with 8 touchdowns. Exactly how would he be "a 3 receiver at best"? Maybe you don't really see what we have here with Wallace, but he's definitely a star. He's almost the same mold as Holmes, although I wish there were a way for us to have kept both. Along with the rookies we have coming up, our WR corps would have been something scary.

SH-Rock
11-22-2010, 06:48 PM
If Wallace can become a solid route runner then he has surpassed Holmes in skill level.
They will both move up a spot after Hines retires, but I just hope Hines stays for 2-3 years more so he develop these young receivers

LVSteelersfan
11-22-2010, 06:55 PM
Don't get too used to Holmes being great for your team. New York City is going to be too much for him and he will end up in some night club and get in big time trouble. Count on it. Idiots are idiots. I hate players who flex their arms and showboat after every single catch. Play like you've been there before and just go back to the huddle like you are just doing your job like Hines does. And the idea that Wallace is a number 3 receiver is laughable. He is definitely number one on this team now. I love Hines but he is close to done.

zulater
11-22-2010, 06:57 PM

You're welcome.:hatsoff:

We accept gratuities here by the way. :chuckle:

tony hipchest
11-22-2010, 11:24 PM
i think a 5th round pick was highway robbery, but we deal with it (woulda atleast got a 4th with a comp pick but would have also stunted the growth of wallace, manny, and cut brown.

according to ryan clark on twitter, it sounds like he wasnt exactly a locker room favorite-

Not sure how much the locker room misses him. Id say the locker room misses Jeff much more but Tone is an amazing WR

pretty sad when your less popular than the kicker.

BigRick
11-23-2010, 08:51 AM
Don't get too used to Holmes being great for your team. New York City is going to be too much for him and he will end up in some night club and get in big time trouble. Count on it. Idiots are idiots. I hate players who flex their arms and showboat after every single catch. Play like you've been there before and just go back to the huddle like you are just doing your job like Hines does. And the idea that Wallace is a number 3 receiver is laughable. He is definitely number one on this team now. I love Hines but he is close to done.

Wish we could have got more for him, but I agree it's just a matter of time. When he screws up again and he will the Jets may wish they had kept their draft pick.:tt03:

stiller39
11-23-2010, 12:41 PM
Glad your happy with Santokio. He has talent that was never a question. He does have some other stuff going on besides talent but that doesn't really matter to your team as evidence by the headlines you generate so it is a win win for both teams. Hope it works in the long run for ya.

OX1947
11-23-2010, 12:45 PM
Holmes wont be a Jet next year. He will be wearing Redskins burgundy and gold.

MDSteel15
11-23-2010, 01:05 PM

WOW!! I was betting on Chicago getting in there....

MDSteel15
11-23-2010, 01:14 PM

WOW!! I was betting on Chicago getting in there....

rbryan
11-23-2010, 01:20 PM
Plex gets out of jail in another year right..... Just in case it doesn't work out with SH

J....E....T....S

tube517
11-24-2010, 04:28 PM
Didn't Harrison say last year that some people were being selfish and only thinking about themselves? It was probably Sandoobio.

i think a 5th round pick was highway robbery, but we deal with it (woulda atleast got a 4th with a comp pick but would have also stunted the growth of wallace, manny, and cut brown.

according to ryan clark on twitter, it sounds like he wasnt exactly a locker room favorite-

Not sure how much the locker room misses him. Id say the locker room misses Jeff much more but Tone is an amazing WR

pretty sad when your less popular than the kicker.

steelerdave1969
11-24-2010, 04:35 PM
I liked Holmes and what he brought to our team, but he was going to be asking for Big Money and that wasnt gonna happen here in Pittsburgh. The Jets will have to pay that money and take a chance on him not messing up again or it could be for an entire season for him next time around.

steelerdave1969
11-24-2010, 04:36 PM

Nah I think he will end up in Pittsburgh West with the Cardinals :applaudit:

Pentheon
11-24-2010, 04:45 PM
hes a great receiver...Like someone else said, I'm glad we traded though because wallace wouldnt be blowing up the way he is this year. So I think it worked out pretty good for both teams.

I miss havin him on the team though :(

steeltheone
11-24-2010, 05:57 PM
Nah I think he will end up in Pittsburgh West with the Cardinals :applaudit:

They need a thrower not a catcher!

PhantomJB93
11-24-2010, 07:15 PM
Anyone who argues that the trade was stupid because Santonio is better than Wallace may want to remember that Holmes wasn't really good enough to be relevant until his 3rd season, and Wallace has already been tearing it up for his first two :tt04:

SH-Rock
11-24-2010, 07:54 PM
Anyone who argues that the trade was stupid because Santonio is better than Wallace may want to remember that Holmes wasn't really good enough to be relevant until his 3rd season, and Wallace has already been tearing it up for his first two :tt04:

Wallace has been tearing it up since day 1, but got recognition at the end of last year. Sanders and Antonio are starting to get some action which is every exciting. I think we should draft in the future Deandre Brown, a big guy at 6'6 and 220+. He can become a great blocker and a red zone threat. He is a tad slower, but I think Wallace as a deep threat will balance it out.

ricardisimo
11-25-2010, 12:43 AM
Wallace has been tearing it up since day 1, but got recognition at the end of last year. Sanders and Antonio are starting to get some action which is every exciting. I think we should draft in the future Deandre Brown, a big guy at 6'6 and 220+. He can become a great blocker and a red zone threat. He is a tad slower, but I think Wallace as a deep threat will balance it out.
I think we might be set at WR for the foreseeable future, and should draft corners and both lines for the entire 2011 draft.

Well, maybe a few kickers as well...

Third Rail
11-25-2010, 12:46 AM

Santonio was very productive in his second season (942 yards, 8 TDs).

JetsFan17
11-26-2010, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the responses. I'm wondering which nickname was more amusing: Bongtonio or Santokio. :sofunny:

MDSteel15
11-26-2010, 04:10 PM
I haven't read this entire post but do you realize that both of our troubled WRs in the past 5 seasons have went to NY clubs? Plaxico is down and out for now and Santonio is still yet to be determined!

markymarc
11-27-2010, 01:00 AM
Welcome to the board JetsFan17 and I am glad that Santonio is on your team now. Mike Wallace is going to be a "stud" wide receiver for the Steelers for a very long time. The Jets and Steelers game is going to be a very good one.

ZoneBlitzer
11-27-2010, 06:48 PM
I haven't read this entire post but do you realize that both of our troubled WRs in the past 5 seasons have went to NY clubs? Plaxico is down and out for now and Santonio is still yet to be determined!

Maybe Holmes will drop a blunt in a club, have it start a fire, then do 2 to 5 years with Plax.

steelerchad
11-27-2010, 08:13 PM
Santonio was very productive in his second season (942 yards, 8 TDs).

Wallace already has 759 yards and 8 TD's this year with 6 games to go. First 4 games without Ben we weren't throwing much and the Tampa game was the only game he had much of anything with 100 yards and 2 TD's.