PDA

View Full Version : Hey Goodell, fine the Rooneys!

plenewken
11-22-2010, 09:20 AM
For the crappy field at Heinz Field. It'd be much more deserved than fining Harrison.
If the field gave us an (unfair) advantage, I could understand, but the Pats slaughtered us on it last week.
<sheesh>

CaliStillersFan
11-22-2010, 10:15 AM
I second that. Heinz Field has been opened for 10 years and they still haven't gotten that field right. They need to build Pitt their own stadium and get them out of there and cut those high school games.

madtowndrunkard
11-22-2010, 10:21 AM
HEY ROONEY'S, FINE GOODELL!!

plenewken
11-22-2010, 11:50 AM
I second that. Heinz Field has been opened for 10 years and they still haven't gotten that field right. They need to build Pitt their own stadium and get them out of there and cut those high school games.

No, Pitt and the HS games aren't the problem. Pitt played on the road last Saturday and the High School games are this coming weekend.
The Rooneys need to get rid of natural grass and install state of the art artificial turf. Pittsburgh ain't' Phoenix or Miami. The field's been a joke since day 1.

steelcity1974
11-22-2010, 01:06 PM
No, Pitt and the HS games aren't the problem. Pitt played on the road last Saturday and the High School games are this coming weekend.
The Rooneys need to get rid of natural grass and install state of the art artificial turf. Pittsburgh ain't' Phoenix or Miami. The field's been a joke since day 1.

NO!!!! I hope that never happens. Natrual grass is always better than that artificial crap. Green Bay isn't Phoenix or Miami either, but seems to work fine there. The current field is actually a natural/artificial mix...I agree it needs to improve but I hope they don't ever go 100% artificial.

Whodis
11-22-2010, 01:14 PM
I like the field...

Atlanta Dan
11-22-2010, 01:31 PM
The field is an annual disaster - the only season in which I recall it was in decent shape after Halloween was in 2008 when an early cold winter apparently froze the field by mid-November- the low point was the Monday night game against Miami (in 2007?) when a punted football got stuck in the bog like a lawn dart :banging:

What amazes me is that even New England was ordered by Goodell to replace its rotten natural turf field while the Rooneys continue to get away with maintaining that joke of a field at Heinz

I guess it will take a career ending injury when a front line star such as Roethlisberger, Mendenhall, Timmons or Wallace tears up a knee on that cow pasture before the Rooneys quit being stubborn about ditching that field

plenewken
11-22-2010, 01:46 PM
NO!!!! I hope that never happens. Natrual grass is always better than that artificial crap. Green Bay isn't Phoenix or Miami either, but seems to work fine there. The current field is actually a natural/artificial mix...I agree it needs to improve but I hope they don't ever go 100% artificial.

Works fine at Lambeau Field? Not proven yet and look what it takes.

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20101113/PKR01/11130635/Green-Bay-Packers-shine-extra-light-on-Lambeau-Field-turf

The Steelers have been working and spending $$$ on this friggin' field for 10 years and it's still not anywhere near where it should be. Like I said, if I least, it provided an advantage to the Steelers but our players don't have better footing than the visiting players and they're not less injured either. It'd be much better if it worked but obviously it doesn't.
What's even harder to understand is that the practice field on the South Side is 100% artificial (FieldTurf). WTF?
Yes the field at Heinz Field is a mix of natural/artificial but it seems to hold better in other places so I don't know what the problem is here. It's getting old.

CargoJon
11-22-2010, 01:48 PM
I don't understand why high schools around here have state of the art field turf and the ketchup bottle has to have messy mud hole turf...

kirklandrules
11-22-2010, 02:28 PM
Works fine at Lambeau Field? Not proven yet and look what it takes.

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20101113/PKR01/11130635/Green-Bay-Packers-shine-extra-light-on-Lambeau-Field-turf

That's pretty good research! Unfortunately, the grass growing season ends in early Oct and does not pick back up until mid to late March. So as you destroy the turf on the field (because you have several tons of beef banging against this grass), it will not naturally repair itself until spring time. The Steelers us a heating system under the field to help the process in the cold months, however, sunlight is probably more than 50% of the critical factors for plant growth. Unfortunately, the cold months are also the months that have the least amount of sunshine. The sun in the winter is oriented in the southern hemisphere and therefore, behind Mt. Washington for a few additional hours ... keeping the turf in good condition at Heinz field from mid to late football season is almost a mission impossible.

Riddle_Of_Steel
11-22-2010, 02:54 PM
I like Heinz Field the way it is.

Guys get injured less on natural grass (or natural/artificial combo like Heinz). That is one big reason to keep it, if none other exist.

If the field is a swampy mess, it is the same for both teams, ours and theirs. No advantage.

The message is clear-- the Rooneys play old-fashioned football, and if you are coming to their field to play, get ready to get dirty. We like seeing teams like the Bengals, Cowboys, and Chargers come to Heinz and get their pretty little leotards muddied up.

NFL players need to man up, instead of moaning about the mud. In high school, we had this drain pipe that emptied out on the one side of our field (until my high school built a new stadium), and always had this really foul smelling stagnant azz water coming out of it. You can bet, at home games, we made it a point on defense to try and tackle the opposing team's players right into the deepest part of that swamp for "added effect". Usually got the home crowd whooping too when the other team's QB gets up off the ground covered in stinky, black mud.

Some people forget, football is not a gentleman's sport. The NFL tries to make it all Hollywood and metrosexual.

wootawnee
11-22-2010, 05:10 PM
U all need to go to the mall and play with cabbage patch kids and eat ice cream and buy dresses.....wussws

*edit* apologies for this guy constantly feeling the need to call other wussies. I'm only leaving this post up b/c I think the following post fits it perfectly. :chuckle:

steelers2685
11-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Jeff Reed, is that you???

plenewken
11-23-2010, 07:56 AM
We like seeing teams like the Bengals, Cowboys, and Chargers come to Heinz and get their pretty little leotards muddied up.

Didn't seem to bother the Pats this year ............

As for the Rooneys playing old-fashioned football, what kind of field was at 3 Rivers and at the practice facility?

Riddle_Of_Steel
11-27-2010, 01:21 AM
Didn't seem to bother the Pats this year ............

As for the Rooneys playing old-fashioned football, what kind of field was at 3 Rivers and at the practice facility?
Yeah, unfortunately, Marsha never got to experience the ground at Heinz this last time. That was a lousy gameplan all around.

The Rooneys have enough money to re-turf Heinz field a hundred times over. The fact that they haven't is evidence enough that they like it the way it is.

I agree, for the reasons I already stated previously.

plenewken
11-27-2010, 10:04 AM
Yeah, unfortunately, Marsha never got to experience the ground at Heinz this last time. That was a lousy gameplan all around.

The Rooneys have enough money to re-turf Heinz field a hundred times over. The fact that they haven't is evidence enough that they like it the way it is.

I agree, for the reasons I already stated previously.

I know they have enough moolah to re-turf it whenever necessary, and I also know that they like it this way. My point was that how come they don't use the same junk at the practice facility? The team practices all week on synthetic and play on hybrid? Doesn't make any freaking sense.

Riddle_Of_Steel
11-27-2010, 03:33 PM
My point was that how come they don't use the same junk at the practice facility? The team practices all week on synthetic and play on hybrid? Doesn't make any freaking sense.

You've got a good point there. Usually, you want your practices to have the feel of a game, and that includes getting used to the playing surface that will be under you come Sunday.

lionslicer
11-27-2010, 04:10 PM
I like the field, its real football and what its about. Changing it to turf is just going with the flow of the NFL wanting more points on the board. There needs to be mud on the uniforms and some 6-3 games during the season.

4xSBChamps
11-28-2010, 06:02 AM
There needs to be mud on the uniforms and some 6-3 games during the season.

... you've gotta be kidding, because Goodell would have veins poppin' outta his head...

... now, wait-a-minute, let's give this some thought...

sfweb
12-30-2010, 04:13 AM
kirklandrules you are saying right i also agree with you.

That's pretty good research! Unfortunately, the grass growing season ends in early Oct and does not pick back up until mid to late March. So as you destroy the turf on the field (because you have several tons of beef banging against this grass), it will not naturally repair itself until spring time. The Steelers us a heating system under the field to help the process in the cold months, however, sunlight is probably more than 50% of the critical factors for plant growth. Unfortunately, the cold months are also the months that have the least amount of sunshine. The sun in the winter is oriented in the southern hemisphere and therefore, behind Mt. Washington for a few additional hours ... keeping the turf in good condition at Heinz field from mid to late football season is almost a mission impossible.

Stu Pidasso
12-30-2010, 08:47 AM
If we change it to turf, would Rendell call us wussies too?

silver & black
12-30-2010, 11:13 PM
I like Heinz Field the way it is.

Guys get injured less on natural grass (or natural/artificial combo like Heinz). That is one big reason to keep it, if none other exist.

If the field is a swampy mess, it is the same for both teams, ours and theirs. No advantage.

The message is clear-- the Rooneys play old-fashioned football, and if you are coming to their field to play, get ready to get dirty. We like seeing teams like the Bengals, Cowboys, and Chargers come to Heinz and get their pretty little leotards muddied up.

NFL players need to man up, instead of moaning about the mud. In high school, we had this drain pipe that emptied out on the one side of our field (until my high school built a new stadium), and always had this really foul smelling stagnant azz water coming out of it. You can bet, at home games, we made it a point on defense to try and tackle the opposing team's players right into the deepest part of that swamp for "added effect". Usually got the home crowd whooping too when the other team's QB gets up off the ground covered in stinky, black mud.

Some people forget, football is not a gentleman's sport. The NFL tries to make it all Hollywood and metrosexual.

I support this post. :thumbsup: