PDA

View Full Version : Nice journalism ESPN

madtowndrunkard
11-22-2010, 10:33 AM
I find it laughable that if you go to ESPN's NFL home page there isn't a thing said about about the poor officiating. Not a word about the ridiculous game the officials called in Pittsburgh yesterday. When if you talked to anyone who watched that game they all want to talk about the officiating and that stiff arm Ben took to the head. Espn called it a slap. I'm not sure that is how I would have described that shot he took to the head.

It's being talked about on the radio.....but ESPN doesn't want to acknowledge any of it. Yet it's on the minds of just about every fan of every team.

SteelCityMom
11-22-2010, 10:47 AM
I think that's normal. If the NFL doesn't want ESPN talking about it, it won't be talked about there...plain and simple.

I don't agree with it, but I didn't expect ESPN to come out and bash the refs on it's homepage either lol.

toughsticks87
11-22-2010, 10:49 AM
I think ESPN does their best with what they have. They certainly don't want to be ruffling any feathers or show any potential bias, so its easier for them to just not talk about those types of issues.

ZoneBlitzer
11-22-2010, 11:03 AM
I think ESPN is a joke. Their NFL pregame shows on Sundays with Boomer et al are embarrassing with their cheesy scripted numbers. It's like the show is being produced by a Broadway musical director.

SteelerEmpire
11-22-2010, 11:05 AM
ESPN "usually" gives the Steelers' their props... Maybe they will address this issue in a later article....

Mots
11-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Actually, James Walker does talk about the bad officiating in the article at http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/20759/are-the-steelers-being-targeted.

The article is also linked on their NFL start page.

It was never more clear than Sunday as Pittsburgh pounded the Raiders into submission. A blowout win was clouded by the enormous number of flags showering Heinz Field. Whether it was linebacker James Harrison getting a roughing-the-passer call on a clean play, or safety Ryan Clark wrongfully called for a helmet-to-helmet blow when Clark made contact with the receiver's back, there was no flow to an ugly game dominated by officiating.

In my opinion, those are pretty clear words on the bad calls yesterday.

TRH
11-22-2010, 12:11 PM
i found it odd that hardly a mention of not only this but of the Steelers in general over on yahoo. Mike and Mike seemed to talk about everything and everything today too but glazed over this (of course all they wanted to do was talk about the Jets, of course....).
With the unbelievable amateur officiating, blowout of a supposed "hot team", penalties/slaps/imminent fines, this should have been front page news everywhere, no question. Sh**, even the Browns got more press this week.
VERY STRANGE. But i'm sure Goodell and the NFL have absolutely nothing to do with this......
I was comparing the "new" NFL to baseball failure recently, but the more it plays, the more i'm starting to compare it to the boxing world. One sided rules, penalizing non-favorites while taking care of the favorites, dictators and questions that just reek of fix.
It's disturbing to say the least. ESPN will toe the line of the NFL front office to a point, thats a given. If they don't, i'm sure they believe some of their favors and access will be cut off.

ZoneBlitzer
11-22-2010, 01:23 PM
Is anyone talking about the blow to Ben? I thought player protection was paramount?

Atlanta Dan
11-22-2010, 01:44 PM
I find it laughable that if you go to ESPN's NFL home page there isn't a thing said about about the poor officiating. It's being talked about on the radio.....but ESPN doesn't want to acknowledge any of it.

Yet it's on the minds of just about every fan of every team.

ESPN actually has written quite a bit about this, starting with the "Are The Steelers Being Targeted" artice to which I linked on Sunday

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/20759/are-the-steelers-being-targeted

ESPN's AFC North blogger James Walker is on the officiating

I have another quick note on the poor officiating in the game between the Pittsburgh Steelers and Oakland Raiders, then we will move on because we don't want referees to be the focus of the blog. But look for the NFL to get at least two appeals this week if the league decides to hand out fines. Linebacker James Harrison and safety Ryan Clark were wrongfully called for personal fouls on a pair of clean plays against Oakland. The flags usually raise the NFL's antennas. But I expect both Steelers to file an appeal this week if they are penalized -- and both have good cases.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/20810/seven-step-drop-bengals-implosion

As is ESPN's John Clayton

Officials -- trying to be safety conscious since commissioner Roger Goodell's helmet-to-helmet crackdown -- are getting too overzealous in calling unnecessary roughness penalties...

Things were even worse in the Steelers game. There were three debatable calls involving the Steelers. Linebacker LaMarr Woodley was flagged in the first quarter for a roughing-the-passer penalty when he appeared to be following through on a potential tackle as Jason Campbell was releasing the ball. Safety Ryan Clark was flagged for a helmet-to-helmet hit in the first quarter when he appeared to be using his shoulder, not his helmet. A questionable personal-foul call on linebacker James Harrison nullified an Ike Taylor interception return for a touchdown.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/notebook/_/page/lastcall10011/john-clayton-last-call

As usual, Tony Dungy and Rodney Harrison made certain they said nothing on NBC about this that might offend Goodell, but many national writers are on that disgraceful performance by teh zebras yesterday

ricardisimo
11-22-2010, 01:56 PM
In other words, the OP wasn't really paying attention.

rbryan
11-22-2010, 02:24 PM
Whats really laughable is using the word journalism and ESPN in the same sentance.

BSPN has become the National Enquirer of the sports world.

jjpro11
11-22-2010, 03:17 PM
it's the NBC people who have been the douche-bags this year.. the Goodell love-fest is mind blowing listening to those jackasses. most of the ESPN people spoke out against all the bullshit hitting rules.

tube517
11-22-2010, 11:39 PM
ESPN only cares about Marsha, Peyton, and Favre. Anything else goes behind the classified ads.