PDA

View Full Version : AP: Steelers fans fined for booing

Third Rail
11-22-2010, 01:33 PM
Already posted this elsewhere but I thought it deserved its own thread...

Steelers fans fined for booing
The Associated Press
Updated Nov 22, 2010 1:12 AM ET

Carl Johnson, NFL Head of Officiating announced Monday that all Pittsburgh Steelers fans that attended Sunday's game at Heinz Field will be fined $135,000 for questioning the officials' authority. In addition, Steelers linebacker James Harrison will also be fined $275,000 because fans booed the loudest when he was penalized for sacking Raiders quarterback Jason Campbell a split second after throwing the ball, a penalty that overruled an interception return for a touchdown because as an NFL rule, officals must always remove one touchdown per game from the Steelers' score. The officials reserve the right to choose which touchdown is retracted.

"We can't have fans booing officials who make bad calls during games," said Johnson. "Since an average of 5%-8% of officiating is actually correct, allowing fans to boo calls could result in a deafening clamor that could drown out the incoherent analysis of Cris Collinsworth, Jon Gruden and all of the other color commentators whose opinions are the real reason fans tune in on Sundays."

NFL Commissioner and devoted Nazi sympathizer Roger Goodell agreed. "Any fans heard booing officials during any NFL game will be removed from the stadium, slapped with a $135,000 fine, and suspended from ever attending another game in their lives, except for games played in England," said Goodell. "We're also looking into installing devices in HDTVs and cable boxes so that fans at home can also be monitored and fined accordingly. We believe that the NFL will rake in approximately $789.7 trillion this year in fines; a new record. We're very happy about that."

In addition to the fan-related fine, Harrison was also fined $2.75 million for the actual hit on Campbell. In addition, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was fined $750,000 after a punch from his jaw broke Oakland Raiders' defensive lineman Richard Seymour's fist.

Third Rail
11-22-2010, 04:39 PM
99 views and not a single response? Geez, you try to be creative...

stairway27
11-22-2010, 04:48 PM
I'm the 100th viewer!

4n2t0
11-22-2010, 05:33 PM
Creative? Possibly... Funny? Not really. That explains the lack of response.

floodcitygirl
11-22-2010, 06:53 PM
It actually is very creative. The sad thing is that for a split second when I read the title I thought it might be true! I'm too mad about what is going on with the officials, fines, etc to laugh about this right now. I'll read it again when Goodell is gone! :chuckle:

chacha
11-22-2010, 07:15 PM
it was a good post, and could actually happen! Goodell sucks

Third Rail
11-22-2010, 08:29 PM
Haha yes, Goodell does suck. And thank you to those who responded. :tt03:

Oh, except you 4n2t0... since you're such a harsh critic on what is funny and what isn't, by all means, please try your shot at doing better.

mesaSteeler
11-22-2010, 10:23 PM
Pretty funny but please don't give Goodell any ideas.

tony hipchest
11-22-2010, 10:30 PM
the bengals suck

TRH
11-22-2010, 10:54 PM
This is how SAD things are getting : I also thought for about 1/2 a second that it may be true.

Even sadder yet?? DON'T rule some of this stuff out in the future (like fans getting thrown out for booing, Pittsburgh players on the receiving end of personal foul stuff getting blamed in the end, etc). Seriously.

Third Rail
11-23-2010, 02:12 AM
It really is getting ridiculous. And I hate to bring up conspiracy theories but I honestly do believe that at least this year, the Steelers are being targeted. I mean, Harrison gets a $75,000 fine for a legal hit, and yet Seymour only has to pay $25k for punching Ben in the face. Are you kidding me?

Moreover... today Brad Childress was fined $35k for criticizing the officials after the Vikes game. They fined him $35k. Yep, you heard that right... according to the NFL, its worse to criticize the officials than to walk up and punch another player.

Could you imagine if Goodell was the commissioner of the NHL? Good God that would be a nightmare.

Fate
11-23-2010, 03:28 AM
Had a good laugh. Nice.

Wallace108
11-23-2010, 03:48 AM
Third Rail,
I found your satire rather amusing. But I'll offer one piece of advice for future reference. Since you're being satirical, I wouldn't use an actual news organization as the "source." If you want to use The Associated Press, satirize that as well ... The Disassociated Press, or something along that line. Other than that, good job. :drink:

MattsMe
11-23-2010, 04:30 AM
Third Rail,
I found your satire rather amusing. But I'll offer one piece of advice for future reference. Since you're being satirical, I wouldn't use an actual news organization as the "source." If you want to use The Associated Press, satirize that as well ... The Disassociated Press, or something along that line. Other than that, good job. :drink:

Geez, you act like you work in the news industry or something. :chuckle:

Wallace108
11-23-2010, 04:39 AM
Geez, you act like you work in the news industry or something. :chuckle:

:sofunny:
Shhhh, Ric will accuse me of being part of the liberal media.

TRH
11-23-2010, 07:41 AM
Moreover... today Brad Childress was fined $35k for criticizing the officials after the Vikes game. They fined him $35k. Yep, you heard that right... according to the NFL, its worse to criticize the officials than to walk up and punch another player.

And that, my friends, is exactly why Tomlin didn't say anything about the officiating publicly after the game...

Third Rail
11-23-2010, 10:51 AM
Third Rail,

Thanks, yeah I was thinking that too after I posted it, but I doubt the AP will come after me, lol. I'm probably going to start a fake news thread and maybe a blog for this type of stuff soon, so I'll come up with something that works.

DoubleYoi
11-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Thanks, yeah I was thinking that too after I posted it, but I doubt the AP will come after me, lol. I'm probably going to start a fake news thread and maybe a blog for this type of stuff soon, so I'll come up with something that works.

Let me know when you get that up and running. I'd really be interested in ignoring it :toofunny:

Third Rail
11-23-2010, 02:43 PM
Let me know when you get that up and running. I'd really be interested in ignoring it :toofunny:

But if you ignore it, then how would you be able to make smartass comments? I wouldn't want to deprive you from further opportunities to act like a shithead.

Wallace108
11-23-2010, 04:10 PM

Sounds like a plan. :thumbsup: Run with it.

Third Rail
11-23-2010, 04:17 PM
Thanks, will do! :tt:

tube517
11-23-2010, 06:10 PM
Brett Favre