PDA

View Full Version : Should Steelers retain Ike Taylor and give him a long-term contract?

STEELERSTAR
03-28-2006, 09:20 PM
Should Steelers retain Ike Taylor and give him a long-term contract or give up on him for #4 overall draft pick?

WWIIOwheelz
03-28-2006, 09:21 PM
KEEP HIM.

I like this guy.

kmsteelerwr15
03-28-2006, 10:02 PM
I think so, he's the best corner we've got so we need to hurry up and sign him.

ChronoCross
03-28-2006, 11:30 PM
He has serious potental. I think we should retain him with a long term contract.

DIESELMAN
03-29-2006, 02:07 AM
HELL YES!!!!! He also received an extra $206,513 from the NFL's performance pay system for 2005.So he must be doing something right.....:helmet:

desertsteel
03-29-2006, 06:05 AM
YES!!!!!!

Milkman
03-29-2006, 06:49 AM
He's a keeper.

Suitanim
03-29-2006, 08:27 AM
Man, I wish I had a link to the info either Sporting News or ESPN Magazine had on just how effective Ike was last year. When you see the numbers, you realize that it's not just potential, but that's he's already one of the premier CB's in the league, and he's only been playing the position for a few years.

I'm telling you guys, he is absolutely capable of being as good as Rod Woodson, and there is just no way the Steelers are stupid enough to give up the bird in hand for the two in the bush.

clevestinks
03-29-2006, 09:32 AM
Suit, Woodson??? I think he may be a good one, but Woodson was on the all time team.

The Steelers need to decide soon, they can lock him up now for a long time, if they wait, they will need to pay alot more, and possibly lose him

Midnightwriter1
03-29-2006, 09:40 AM
That is where the overrated stuff comes in when people start making those comparisons ( Woodson) I belive the numbers you are looking for showed his playoff numbers, not WHOLE season numbers.

Ike didnt have 95 tackles this year because he ran from one end of the field to another just to make a tackle.. it was cause teams threw at him and completed passes and he made the tackle afterwards. He also had help over the top after the Steelers watched him get ripped by Harrison one on one in the reg season. Again i like Ike, but the Woodson comparisons are too muchjust yet i think.

clevestinks
03-29-2006, 09:50 AM
That is where the overrated stuff comes in when people start making those comparisons ( Woodson) I belive the numbers you are looking for showed his playoff numbers, not WHOLE season numbers.

Ike didnt have 95 tackles this year because he ran from one end of the field to another just to make a tackle.. it was cause teams threw at him and completed passes and he made the tackle afterwards. He also had help over the top after the Steelers watched him get ripped by Harrison one on one in the reg season. Again i like Ike, but the Woodson comparisons are too muchjust yet i think.
I agree, and it seems the Steelers play a defense that helps protect the corners, but when Woodson played he was one on one with little help alot. Just a couple years ago we had no corners, so now we are so desperate for a good corner, Ike seems like the best thing in the world. I hope he stays and improves, but I`m not sold on him being a all pro corner any time soon. I also keep hearing potential, he has three years in, the potential should have come already. Or am I wrong???

Suitanim
03-29-2006, 09:56 AM
Think about where he was 2 years ago compared to right now. And, remember, he's been playing CB for just the last 4 years or so.

He's a 4.3 blazer, has a terrific work ethic, is physical, and excelled in the playoffs against the premier talent in the league, and is basically still all upside. I have no problem saying confidently that he COULD be as good as Rod Woodson someday.

clevestinks
03-29-2006, 10:04 AM
Suit, although I disagree a little , I do hope your right, I really really do. But props to you for sticking to your guns

Midnightwriter1
03-29-2006, 10:15 AM
and that is fine you think so, no probs witth that ... but that is where the threads " Is Taylor overrated comes from" When comparring him to Wooodson, then yes i think he is. But i think everyone agrees he has potential to be better, no probs with work ethic ( i wish everyone did the same) , speed is there definately. But when we left him all alone with no HELP at all, he got beat deep.... When he had safety help, he got thrown on underneath alot as well ( hence the 95 tackles) and he couldnt catch the ball when thrown right at him. Our defense as a whole was one of the worst if not the worst in the league on opossing teams converting 3rd downs by pass. Again i am not ripping on Taylor, i just think way too early to be calling him a stud and a shutdown corner or the next Woodson.

He fell out of favor with me some, I will admitt, when on his personal website he was self promoting himself for the Pro Bowl and giving all of his stats. He made sure that the 95 tackles were his focal point. I noticed all year teams would and could thrown on him and they were not shy about doing so. I am happy he had the 95 tackles, but what good is that when someone is throwing on you and you are 4 yards back then making tackle. When he had the opportnity to make plays and INT's.... he didnt. ****ie L had to use safety help behind him so if there is any Woodson like features there, I am missing it or else i just drank way too much beer during the year. =) ( which the last part could be very true lol )

clevestinks
03-29-2006, 10:35 AM
and that is fine you think so, no probs witth that ... but that is where the threads " Is Taylor overrated comes from" When comparring him to Wooodson, then yes i think he is. But i think everyone agrees he has potential to be better, no probs with work ethic ( i wish everyone did the same) , speed is there definately. But when we left him all alone with no HELP at all, he got beat deep.... When he had safety help, he got thrown on underneath alot as well ( hence the 95 tackles) and he couldnt catch the ball when thrown right at him. Our defense as a whole was one of the worst if not the worst in the league on opossing teams converting 3rd downs by pass. Again i am not ripping on Taylor, i just think way too early to be calling him a stud and a shutdown corner or the next Woodson.

He fell out of favor with me some, I will admitt, when on his personal website he was self promoting himself for the Pro Bowl and giving all of his stats. He made sure that the 95 tackles were his focal point. I noticed all year teams would and could thrown on him and they were not shy about doing so. I am happy he had the 95 tackles, but what good is that when someone is throwing on you and you are 4 yards back then making tackle. When he had the opportnity to make plays and INT's.... he didnt. ****ie L had to use safety help behind him so if there is any Woodson like features there, I am missing it or else i just drank way too much beer during the year. =) ( which the last part could be very true lol )
Great point worth rep points!
Our third down coverages sucked.

Midnightwriter1
03-29-2006, 10:55 AM
Our 3rd down coverage was aweful, against bead QB's no less. Just seemed as though we could not stop anyone for a long time on 3rd down unless they shot themselves in the foot with a bad pass or a dropped pass.

I dont know if anyone else noticed or not.... but it seemed to me when Carter started playing more and coming in later in year... our secondary seemed to get a lil better.

rowedf
03-29-2006, 10:56 AM

I disagere with you. Ike did drop a lot of picks, that was the one thing I'll agree with you. As stated quite a few times here, you cannot blame him for getting 95 tackles when he is TOLD to play off the ball. That is their base scheme, to give the reciever a 7-10 yard cushion, allow him to make the 5 yard catch, then make the tackle. So, saying he didn't do a good job is very very inaccruate when he was doing exactly what he was supposed to be doing. Would you rather him play in press when he's not supposed to, piss off the coaching staff but maybe have 30 breakups instead of 23 (which was tied for the NFL lead).

I think the person that made his comparison to Woodson was worded correctly by saying he is "capable" of being as good as Woodson. He did not say he is right now, nor is going to be, but is capable, which I agree with. I have not checked, but I'd like to see Woodson's stats in his 2nd year starting and compare them to Ike's season last year, I bet they are very close.

Yes, he got beat by Harrison because he looked into the backfeild, but that takes away from the year he had? It's the NFL man, that happens, it was a mental mistake and he did not let it happen again. You don't get lucky shutting down guys the way Ike did "most" of the year. He's a good young athlete and has a TON of potential.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
03-29-2006, 11:06 AM
For a number 4 draft pick?
We could get:
A.J. Hawk
D'Brickashaw Ferguson
Mario Williams
Michael Huff

Its too high for Lendale white but we could trade down and pick him up and have a shot at 2 second round picks this year or next year.

I believe a #4 pick is worth it.....but when when you see teams possibly trading for a 21 or #22 pick. its not worth it..

But then again......I do love IKE

Midnightwriter1
03-29-2006, 11:14 AM
I never said he wasnt a good young athlete (i agree) , and i didnt blame him for getting 95 tackles, i just stated that there was a reason for those 95 tackles. he played off the ball yes, but is not like teams had to throw slants and quick screens against him to throw on him. ****ie L played it smart when started using safety help and stopped that experiment.

With Woodson, teams didnt want to throw his way.. if they did he made them pay for it and that is the difference. If next year Ike does that (which i really hope he does) then i will glady be on the Woodson bandwagon but givin that our secondary did suck and i would hold my breath on every 3rd down and long passing play for most of the year... (Kyle Boller) had his way with us and was disgusting and embarassing....

We won the Super Bowl so it doesnt really matter and i am happy for that... but it is definately something if we are gonna win it again that needs to be much improved.

schonrph
03-29-2006, 12:09 PM
the question of this thread is, should the steelers retain ike to a long term deal. the answer is yes and here is why. even if the steelers give him a long term contract this year, it will never be the type of money that all pro corners get or have gotten. i have been a steeler fan for about 26 years and the steelers rarely pay that type of money to its players. they will never pay 7 to 8 mill a year, which i think the top corners in the league make, but if they can get him for 3-5 mill a year that would be great. so if he becomes a very very very good corner in this league, i think the money was worth it, but if he becomes a great shutdown corner and i do say if, the steelers would have gotten a bargain.

Avoid Lloyd
03-29-2006, 12:56 PM
When he starts playing like Rod Woodson, then we can compare him as such. He hasn't even approached that level yet.

I also think he has tons of upside and I hope that they can lock him to a long term contract.

rowedf
03-29-2006, 01:12 PM
When he starts playing like Rod Woodson, then we can compare him as such. He hasn't even approached that level yet.

I also think he has tons of upside and I hope that they can lock him to a long term contract.

and he was never compared to him ..... it was stated he COULD or is CAPABLE of playing that well. Just about everyone here has said he has "tons" of upside, if your agreeing to that, then you have to be agreeing that he is capable of playing on that level.

I would love to see them lock him up in a long term deal. This defiently is the time to take a shot at it. Like a previous poster said, they are not going to give him 7-8 mill per year, and right now, he can't command that, but a good solid contract in the 2-3 per year should be enough to ink a deal with him, without necesarrily "breaking the bank".

clevestinks
03-31-2006, 04:24 AM
Upside, and potential bring no gaurantees, he has played well enough for a good contract, if we are planning on locking him up, then do it soon, he could be costly later.

Steelhorse
03-31-2006, 08:52 AM
I think he will end up being signed to a 3-4 year contract - doesn't seem like anyone is too interested in giving up a first round pick either

Suitanim
03-31-2006, 05:17 PM
I want to address (again) this tendency for people to state that DB's making tackles is a bad thing. It USED to be, but that was back when DB's were 5'7" 165 lbs, and it was a sign of poor run defense for DB's to make tackles.

The new DB's are Jack Lambert sized, and DC's design defensive plays to funnel plays back to those athletic DB's now. It's apples and oranges.

And, yes, I absolutely want Ike signed not because he's as good as Rod Woodson, but because he's got more potential to be as good as Rod Woodson as any DB we've had in 20 years.

The absolute WORST scenario would be for us to let him slip away and then watch him become a HOF caliber player somewhere else.

Midnightwriter1
03-31-2006, 05:35 PM
heard the same arguement when Chad Scott got signed

Suitanim
03-31-2006, 05:50 PM
heard the same arguement when Chad Scott got signed

Perhaps you did...I was never a Scott fan becuse he was drafted for his ability to play the run. He was never the athlete that Ike is.

Hey, whatever...I'm not saying I'm absolutely right. In fact, I'm the one sticking my neck out here, what with the speculation and prognostication. But it's a no-brainer to keep this guy around.

Midnightwriter1
03-31-2006, 06:05 PM
I am sure they will sign him this summer, Mcfadden will take over at some point this season and that will be our corners for at least 4 more years with Colcough and townsend Carter playing the back up / nickel / dime roles.

Suitanim
03-31-2006, 06:10 PM
The best camp battle, and the one I'm looking forward to seeing is Coke/McFad/Townsend battling day in and day out. In fact, that's going to push these guys all season, knowing that their's a capable guy waiting to step in if anybody slips up.

And the winner is the Pittsburgh Steelers. A position many pundits tried to argue was a percieved weakness last year will, in fact, perhaps be our greatest strength next season.

tony hipchest
03-31-2006, 06:18 PM
The best camp battle, and the one I'm looking forward to seeing is Coke/McFad/Townsend battling day in and day out. In fact, that's going to push these guys all season, knowing that their's a capable guy waiting to step in if anybody slips up.

And the winner is the Pittsburgh Steelers. A position many pundits tried to argue was a percieved weakness last year will, in fact, perhaps be our greatest strength next season. and what was our greatest strength last year (running backs) will now be looked at as our greatest weakness. funny how that works out. im thinking willie has potential to show improvement with age just like ike has.

Suitanim
03-31-2006, 06:28 PM
and what was our greatest strength last year (running backs) will now be looked at as our greatest weakness. funny how that works out. im thinking willie has potential to show improvement with age just like ike has.

Depending on how the draft goes, but I'd say for now you're right on. EVERYBODY thinks Parker is a fluke, Duce will be gimpy, and the lack of interest in Haynes shows that most teams don't see any value in him either.

Midnightwriter1
03-31-2006, 06:37 PM
If RB is our biggest weakness then we must be in great shape. I know is a big IF, but we have two Rb's that could easily have 1000 yard seasons if it stays these two and we dont pick up someone in the draft. Teams SHOULd respect Ben arm a lil more and not load up the line of scrimmage. I would have to say until the season starts, our biggest weakness will still be the D Backfield. We have a new safety, possibly the same corners as last year and regardless of the feelings on taylor that has been thrown around... the fact of the matter is we were dead last or close to dead last in league allowing opponets to covert on third and long.

Not always was it JUSt the CB's, the linebackers allowed some of those, could blame on pass rush or could blame ****ie L, but i still think is out weakest part for now.. maybe another year in ****ie L system for Taylor, Colclough, McFadden will make that stat a lil better this year.

tony hipchest
03-31-2006, 06:49 PM
If RB is our biggest weakness then we must be in great shape. I know is a big IF, but we have two Rb's that could easily have 1000 yard seasons if it stays these two and we dont pick up someone in the draft. Teams SHOULd respect Ben arm a lil more and not load up the line of scrimmage. I would have to say until the season starts, our biggest weakness will still be the D Backfield. We have a new safety, possibly the same corners as last year and regardless of the feelings on taylor that has been thrown around... the fact of the matter is we were dead last or close to dead last in league allowing opponets to covert on third and long.

Not always was it JUSt the CB's, the linebackers allowed some of those, could blame on pass rush or could blame ****ie L, but i still think is out weakest part for now.. maybe another year in ****ie L system for Taylor, Colclough, McFadden will make that stat a lil better this year. just so im not misunderstood, i think the running game will always be a strength of the steelers. if theres 3 things that have been a constant with the cowher era steelers its character players, linebackers and running backs. this will not change. not only will we have 4 good backs, 3 of them will be young and fresh.

the only flaw in the steelers defense could be seen as the 3rd and longs given up. but there werent to many plays like manning to harrison on monday night given up by the steelers. those 3rd and longs have more to do with the defensive plays called than it does the players on the field. the steelers often times employed a bend but dont break defense. you may catch the ball but polamalu is gonna give you quite a headache when he tackles you (see ike getting thrown on in the 1st half of the sb and the racing stripe troy left on edges helmet in the playoffs) this style of play tends to wear out the opposing offense and it limits giving up the big plays. plus it demoralizes the opponents to convert a few 3rd downs, drive downfield and get shut down in the redzone, settle for/miss a fg, or worse commit a turnover. 3 of those things happenend to seattle in the sb. (actually hasselbecks int was therown into the redzone but you get the point)

Midnightwriter1
03-31-2006, 07:17 PM
well, i dont think it is to give them the 3rd down and let them march down the field. The CB's still haev to cover someone lol ... Shitty Qb's were throwing on us all day long. I understand bend but dont break , but letting teams continoulsy covert 3rd n 6 3rd and 8 hell even 3rd and 18 wasnt safe. It is just something that needs to be worked on .