PDA

View Full Version : Cowher, Steelers will be starting over.....

DIESELMAN
03-29-2006, 03:24 AM
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- Bill Cowher is starting over after the first NFL championship of his 14-year head coaching career -- and he'll face a challenge with all the changes to the Pittsburgh Steelers' roster.

"We've played at a high level for a lot of years, and now they should have the same high expectations as we've always had," Cowher said Tuesday at the NFL meetings' coaches breakfast attended by all AFC coaches except New England's Bill Belichick. "I think it should be a motivating factor to not let our performance slide."

Among his biggest concerns is team chemistry, particularly with Jerome Bettis retiring. The Steelers also will be without Antwaan Randle El, Chris Hope and Kimo von Oelhoffen.

"I'm very much concerned with the loss of leadership," Cowher said. "Not just what they brought on the field, but off it in their own ways. We have other guys who know they have to step up and sustain that high level of play."

Cowher believes the Steelers need to improve to successfully defend their title. They were, after all, a wild card, the first sixth seed to win the Super Bowl, and needed to win their final four games just to make the playoffs.

"I really don't think we were necessarily the best team in the league last year," he said. "We were playing the best at the end of the season, and we won. But we have many voids to fill."

klick81
03-29-2006, 04:27 AM
Scary to hear him say this. Oh and by the way...i can already see all the haters picking out and interpreting this quote in their own lame ass way:

"I really don't think we were necessarily the best team in the league last year," he said.

PisnNapalm
03-29-2006, 06:00 AM
He's right though. However... I wonder how we'd have done if Big Ben were not injured last season? I think we'd have had a few more wins and then perhaps we'd have been the best team during the regular season.

NO ONE can argue that we weren't the best team in the playoffs. We rocked them all in their own house.:cool:

Suitanim
03-29-2006, 09:22 AM
Does anyone think George Mason is the best College basketball team in the nation? No way! But they are playing as good as anyone or better when it counts...

Justin Otstott
03-29-2006, 10:13 AM
I think if Ben was never hurt we may have had a better record but we did play better at the end of the season.

clevestinks
03-29-2006, 10:30 AM
Cowher likes saying the right thing at the right time! Props to him

Midnightwriter1
03-29-2006, 10:42 AM
That is why you play a whole season, clearly the Colts were the best team in the reg season... but we won when it counted and needed to.

clevestinks
03-29-2006, 10:52 AM
I think the Colts were over rated, thier defense wasnt as good as they were playing. The colts get on rolls and roll well, but once thier exposed and the roll ends, so does the rest of thier season.

Eztarget
03-29-2006, 03:30 PM
Nobody was stopping the Colts in the regular season they got all the breaks to get their record just like we got a ton of breaks to finish 15-1 the year before. But had Ben stayed healthy like Manning did all year we would easily been 14-2 or 13-3 and seeded higher in the playoffs.

But you know what, I'd rather have the distinction of being the ONLY #6 wild card team to EVER win a Superbowl.

Livinginthe past
03-29-2006, 03:34 PM
I think Cowher was just being polite, and trying to guard against over-confidence when he said the Steelers weren't the best team in the league.

You can balance off the fact that they only made it in as 6th seed, by arguing that their achievement was all the greater by doing it the hard way.

The only thing the regular season is good for is to get you to the playoff dance - its the best team that walks away at the end of the day with the trophy.

NM

Livinginthe past
03-29-2006, 03:35 PM
I think the Colts were over rated, thier defense wasnt as good as they were playing. The colts get on rolls and roll well, but once thier exposed and the roll ends, so does the rest of thier season.

You are right their D was over-rated - the nonsense comparing them with great D's of the past did not do them any favors at all.

However, I think it is their offense that has the biggest drop-off when the chips are down.

NM

Midnightwriter1
03-29-2006, 03:39 PM
Manning wasnt getting pressured enough, and when he was.... teams were letting him throw that quick slant. Take away that and get him runnin ... he has a history of being shaky under pressue and losing his cool. Playing them in reg season was prolly a great thing for us.

Mr. Clean
03-29-2006, 07:53 PM
Emperor Chaz Noll had a line that he used at the start of each training camp. It rung true even more so after a Supr Bowl season. It goes somethin' like this:

"What happened last year no longer matters. It will not help you score a point, make a tackle, complete a pass. We have to start all over as if it never happened."

I didn't get that exact - it's from memory and I'm getting old, but it proves the point. The target will be on the Steelers' backs all season. Each game will be a Super Bowl for the opponent.
The Steelers need to stay healthy, fill a couple of holes and continue to improve. Nobody will likely be a #6 and win it all again, and at the end of the 2006 season, I would like to see the Steelers lock up Home Field Advantage, then get to Miami and win it all.

DIESELMAN
03-29-2006, 09:52 PM
I think Cowher was just being polite, and trying to guard against over-confidence when he said the Steelers weren't the best team in the league.

You can balance off the fact that they only made it in as 6th seed, by arguing that their achievement was all the greater by doing it the hard way.

The only thing the regular season is good for is to get you to the playoff dance - its the best team that walks away at the end of the day with the trophy.

NM
True.....we might not have looked like the best team on paper but the road we took clearly makes us the Champs.....:helmet:

MattsMe
03-30-2006, 12:04 AM
Emperor Chaz Noll had a line that he used at the start of each training camp. It rung true even more so after a Supr Bowl season. It goes somethin' like this:

"What happened last year no longer matters. It will not help you score a point, make a tackle, complete a pass. We have to start all over as if it never happened."

I didn't get that exact - it's from memory and I'm getting old, but it proves the point. The target will be on the Steelers' backs all season. Each game will be a Super Bowl for the opponent.
The Steelers need to stay healthy, fill a couple of holes and continue to improve. Nobody will likely be a #6 and win it all again, and at the end of the 2006 season, I would like to see the Steelers lock up Home Field Advantage, then get to Miami and win it all.

He also called Super Bowl rings "instant antiques." I hope our returning players remember that.
It won't be a free ride, but hopefully we get seeded a little higher next year. But if not, we'll at least get a wildcard spot, and take the scenic route to Miami.

OX1947
03-30-2006, 03:52 AM
Steelers were the best team in the league last year. They won the Super Bowl. Whether they played really well at the end really has nothing to do with it. Besides, we lost games we should have won had we had Big Ben. An 11-5 6th seed is rare anyways. The AFC was that good last year....

Midnightwriter1
03-30-2006, 10:47 AM
and the AFC will be that good again this year .... While i for one celebrated the Drew bree's movement to the Saints because now they have Rivers and may not be as good... you still have to look at the AFC teams.

Steelers
Colts
Broncos
Bengals
Patriots
Jax
Miami
K.C
along with some other teams like the Raiders, Chargers .. will be another year where 11-5 may just barely get into the playoffs.

SteelerzGirl
03-30-2006, 11:50 AM
The target will be on the Steelers' backs all season. Each game will be a Super Bowl for the opponent.

That's true for every game of almost every season for our opponents...(lol). It will now be exacerbated because we're the SB Champs! :smile:

Tommy Maddox sure didn't help us last season, so who knows what would have happened had Ben played all season. But it's true... This is a new season and we're starting all over again. Every single team in the NFL is starting the season with no wins and no losses. I believe!

SteelersNation7
03-31-2006, 08:08 PM

NM

Great point! By the way let's also factor in some of them losses on injuries. If Ben's healthy all year no way do we loose 5 games.

SteelerFanInATL
04-02-2006, 08:40 AM
NO ONE can argue that we weren't the best team in the playoffs. We rocked them all in their own house.:cool:

Everyone always says just make it into the playoffs. Once we got there it was a whole new season. Its always better to lose early in the season, and get the losses out the way
(Steelers), compared to lose late in the season. (Colts) IMO its a #'s game. The longer you go without a lose, the closer you are to one.

silver & black
04-02-2006, 07:45 PM
Scary to hear him say this. Oh and by the way...i can already see all the haters picking out and interpreting this quote in their own lame ass way:
I'm sure that will happen. It's human nature to hate those that have what you want, but can't have.

I predicted the Steelers to win it all last year. Everyone thought I was nuts, especially when it looked like they wouldn't even make the play offs. The Steelers did what champions do... they rose to the challenge, and the rest is history.

I wouldn't worry about what a few haters will say... you have what they want. Take that from a Raiders fan who knows a little something about haters!