PDA

View Full Version : NFL playoff expansion

lionslicer
11-23-2010, 10:21 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/520000-an-expansion-idea-no-one-is-talking-about-expanding-the-nfl-playoffs

Pretty interesting read... I like the fact that the year the Cards made it to the superbowl as 9-7 team, the Patriots, 11-5, beat them earlier that year 47-7, but the Cards still deserved to make the playoffs over them.

I think the system now makes division rivalries more tense, especially when 3 teams are 6-3 at some point in the season and all fighting to have just the possible 1 playoff spot givin to that division.

But givin the 18 game season on the way, the NFL more than likely will do the 14-16 team playoff expansion for money since playoffs bring in the most money.

ncsteeler
11-24-2010, 02:03 AM
Why not just call it NHL or NBA let everyone make the playoffs.

lionslicer
11-24-2010, 11:53 AM

:noidea: just seems unfair 10-6 and 11-5 teams don't make the playoffs when 8-8 and 9-7 teams make the playoffs. a 7-9 team has the chance to make the playoffs if their division sucks enough.

rbryan
11-24-2010, 12:00 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/520000-an-expansion-idea-no-one-is-talking-about-expanding-the-nfl-playoffs

Pretty interesting read... I like the fact that the year the Cards made it to the superbowl as 9-7 team, the Patriots, 11-5, beat them earlier that year 47-7, but the Cards still deserved to make the playoffs over them.

I think the system now makes division rivalries more tense, especially when 3 teams are 6-3 at some point in the season and all fighting to have just the possible 1 playoff spot givin to that division.

But givin the 18 game season on the way, the NFL more than likely will do the 14-16 team playoff expansion for money since playoffs bring in the most money.

Whiz was probably using the same hand signals he used in the Burgh....lol

SteelCityMom
11-24-2010, 12:47 PM

Lol...it's not THAT big of a difference between 8 teams/ Conference (NHL) and 6 teams/conference (NFL)...especially when their seasons and playoffs are much, much longer than the NFLs.