PDA

View Full Version : Day dreaming...do the Steelers have a shot at Fitzgerald?

ZoneBlitzer
11-24-2010, 01:07 AM
I recall hearing earlier in the year how Larry Fitzgerald wanted out of Arizona due to the team's sudden change in fortunes. Isn't he a Pittsburgh product? Do you think Pittsburgh would do something so insane/great as to wrench him out of there somehow? I think it would be a brilliant move. We all know that Hines is getting long in the tooth and Fitz would certainly make a great heir apparent for that position.

I don't know I'm just day dreaming here...must be the painkillers I'm taking from having a tooth pulled.

DanRooney
11-24-2010, 02:02 AM
I'm hoping this could be a Jerome Bettis-type move. He still remains the last big name free-agent we were able to acquire and we all know how that turned out. The problem is, we're pretty good at receiver as long as Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown keep playing like they have been and we have much bigger needs on the offensive and defensive line. If we grab a free agent, it's most likely coming from those positions.

pete74
11-24-2010, 04:24 AM
it will never happen. i would love to have him over any other WR in the NFL but we cant pay someone like him especially when we are already stacked at that position. if were going to get a high priced free agent it needs to be a corner or OL

Atlanta Dan
11-24-2010, 06:36 AM
I recall hearing earlier in the year how Larry Fitzgerald wanted out of Arizona due to the team's sudden change in fortunes. Isn't he a Pittsburgh product? Do you think Pittsburgh would do something so insane/great as to wrench him out of there somehow? I think it would be a brilliant move. We all know that Hines is getting long in the tooth and Fitz would certainly make a great heir apparent for that position.

I don't know I'm just day dreaming here...must be the painkillers I'm taking from having a tooth pulled.

And we can hire Brad Childress as receivers coach to coach Fitzgerald

MDSteel15
11-24-2010, 06:46 AM
You never know about those hometown discount players..... fingers crossed :noidea:

Tone's Toes
11-24-2010, 06:57 AM
He's a Minnesota kid. He only went to Pitt because he knew he'd get a ton of balls thrown to him in that Walt Harris pass happy offense. At least that's what he said years ago.

I'm sure he grew fond of the Burgh while he was here, but Arizona won't give him away and I don't think we'd want to trade the assets necessary to land him since WR isn't a huge need. We need CB's OL's and some young D-Lineman way more.

Whodis
11-24-2010, 07:07 AM
it will never happen. i would love to have him over any other WR in the NFL but we cant pay someone like him especially when we are already stacked at that position. if were going to get a high priced free agent it needs to be a corner or OL

I agree Pete, a high priced WR doesn't do you a lot of good if you don't have time to throw to him. I'm curious to how well W. Gay finishes out the season. He seemed so promising coming out of Lville and has been a disapointment this season.

mesaSteeler
11-24-2010, 07:24 AM

Absolutely correct! What is this obsession with free agent WRs around here? WE DON"T NEED ANOTHER WR!. As Pete said we need a corner and O-Line far more. We also need more D-Line as well. WR is not a need.

StainlessStill
11-24-2010, 09:33 AM
Anybody see Emmanuel Sanders or Antonio Brown show some signs of our future lately? I did. Fitzgerald would come with such a huge price-tag that Pittsburgh wouldn't even bother throwing their name in the hat. We got guys to groom to become their own Fitzgerald's one day.

zulater
11-24-2010, 10:39 AM
Though I love Larry, I'd rather they concentrate on getting the OL and defensive backfield plugged up than bring in a veteran wr. I know Hines isn't getting any younger, but between Wallace, Sanders, and Brown i think we have the nucleus of a good receiving core going foward. .

MDSteel15
11-24-2010, 11:14 AM
Though I love Larry, I'd rather they concentrate on getting the OL and defensive backfield plugged up than bring in a veteran wr. I know Hines isn't getting any younger, but between Wallace, Sanders, and Brown i think we have the nucleus of a good receiving core going foward. .

:thumbsup: Well said

austinfrench76
11-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Could you imagine Big Ben throwing to L Fitz?!?! But no, it can't happen because I don't see us paying that kind of money when the front office did their job and drafted well. Wallace, Sanders and Brown, that goes against how we maintain a championship level each year. Drafting well allows us to have good players at every spot, not just one or two big names. It would be incredible though!

Fire Arians
11-24-2010, 02:01 PM
i think sanders and brown are going to be good but damn, if i have the chance to pick up fitz i do it.

ZoneBlitzer
11-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Anybody see Emmanuel Sanders or Antonio Brown show some signs of our future lately? I did. Fitzgerald would come with such a huge price-tag that Pittsburgh wouldn't even bother throwing their name in the hat. We got guys to groom to become their own Fitzgerald's one day.

The only issue I have with Sanders and Brown is that they are very similar players, small, speedy receivers.

Steelers>NFL
11-24-2010, 02:13 PM
The only issue I have with Sanders and Brown is that they are very similar players, small, speedy receivers.

Steve Smith of Carolina is a small, speedy WR. And was one of the best in the league at one time. One of these guys could pan out very big.

MikeHaullace
11-24-2010, 02:31 PM
As cool as the idea is, we do not need another WR.

OL should be our first, second, and maybe even third priority.

How long before David Johnson and Matt Spaeth are plugged in as make-shift linemen?

I am not sure I've ever seen so many injuries on an O-Line, for one season, on one team.

Fire Arians
11-24-2010, 03:10 PM
Steve Smith of Carolina is a small, speedy WR. And was one of the best in the league at one time. One of these guys could pan out very big.

true, and both sanders/browns are taller than steve smith. sanders is the same height as santonio was. it's not like they're tiny receivers.

steeltheone
11-24-2010, 03:15 PM

Stacked? I wouldn't say stacked. Lets hope the learning curve continues. Fitz makes any receiver we have look like a minor leaguer. He is that good!

rbryan
11-24-2010, 03:40 PM
I'm pretty sure you can pick him up on Madden. Let us know how that works out first before we make any decisions.

But don't go by me, I usually daydream about supermodels.

MDSteel15
11-24-2010, 03:58 PM
I'm pretty sure you can pick him up on Madden. Let us know how that works out first before we make any decisions.

But don't go by me, I usually daydream about supermodels.

:rofl: :rofl::rofl:

PhantomJB93
11-24-2010, 04:03 PM
I think people sometimes tend to overrated any affections Fitz has for the burgh, he only spent, what, 2 years here, he left after his sophomore season, I'm not even sure he liked the school all that much, he had no connections to the city or school but Pitt just gave him the best opportunity to showcase his talents and as soon as he was nationally recognized he bolted out of there.

We dont even need him anyways, yes it would be an "upgrade" but even when Ward retires we'll be fine at wideout.

tube517
11-24-2010, 04:10 PM
It's nice to day dream but it will never happen. Especially since the Steelers don't pay for WR's and they are traditionally expendable in the organization's eyes.

Pentheon
11-24-2010, 04:37 PM
I would love to have em....don't see it happening though. I think we got a pretty solid receiving core, but would only be 100 times better if he joined.

fred
11-25-2010, 02:37 AM
That would be a switch..........Steelers picking up AZ's players.....like how Whiz likes to stack his AZ team with
ex-Steelers.........:wink02:

markymarc
11-27-2010, 12:03 AM
Keep day dreaming because that is not going to happen. I'm happy to have Mike Wallace, Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown because they are the now and future at the wide receiver position. Hopefully Hines Ward can give us at least 2 more seasons.