PDA

View Full Version : QB cannot be "forcibly" Hit Below Knees

83-Steelers-43
03-29-2006, 05:32 PM
• A rushing defensive player won't be allowed to forcibly hit a quarterback below the knees. He has to make every effort to avoid such a low hit. Palmer, Griese and Roethlisberger suffered knee injuries on low hits but those three plays were considered legal by the committee because they involved defensive rushers coming off blocks. Several other plays such as the old Rodney Harrison hit on Trent Green when he was with the Rams along with a Jared Allen low hit on Kerry Collins would be subject to a 15-yard penalty. That proposal passed, 25-7. - ESPN

Forget dresses Mr. Lambert, they are now also sporting purple and pink thongs. They also stated on ESPN that Bill Cowher was against this rule.

boLT fan
03-29-2006, 05:34 PM
Here's a good way for all QB's to avoid injuries:

QUIT WATCHING THE F**KING BALL AND MOVE OUT OF THE WAY.

If you watch, just about every below hit could be avoided by the QB if he would actually look down after he throws.

83-Steelers-43
03-29-2006, 05:35 PM
It's a joke. They already have these guys in a bubble. You basically need to be a Marine Sniper in order to hit these guys anymore without getting flagged. It's getting ridiculous.

boLT fan
03-29-2006, 05:41 PM
Still penalized if bullet impacts below the knee.

Suitanim
03-29-2006, 05:56 PM
This is a joke, and there's no way this rule can be applied in an objective way.

It will also always erroneously be known as "The Kimo Rule".

Sad.

Hawk Believer
03-29-2006, 07:09 PM

If you watch, just about every below hit could be avoided by the QB if he would actually look down after he throws.

A question for those who know about QB coaching...

Is it possible that the habit of immediatly looking down after a throw could impact the motion of the throw? Like in golf, if you try to turn your head to follow the shot right away, it screws up your swing. I am just wondering if throws are more accurate if the QB maintains his gaze on the target for a moment or two after the release.

Hawk Believer
03-29-2006, 07:11 PM
i agree, all this will accomplish is more questionable penaltys.

I think we can all drink to that not happening.

Suitanim
03-29-2006, 07:22 PM
A question for those who know about QB coaching...

Is it possible that the habit of immediatly looking down after a throw could impact the motion of the throw? Like in golf, if you try to turn your head to follow the shot right away, it screws up your swing. I am just wondering if throws are more accurate if the QB maintains his gaze on the target for a moment or two after the release.

I was a QB in HS, and was taught by a College QB who was pretty good...I was NEVER told to look down. In fact, I can't imagine why a QB ever would look down unless he was being tackled as he threw...

Hawk Believer
03-29-2006, 07:29 PM
I was a QB in HS, and was taught by a College QB who was pretty good...I was NEVER told to look down. In fact, I can't imagine why a QB ever would look down unless he was being tackled as he threw...

So do you think Palmer watching the play after he threw was poor execution on his part?

It seems like most QB's need to watch the ball and see what happens. I don't blame him for getting hit, I don't blame Kimo. Its just one of those crappy things that happen when you have gigantic people running at eachother.

boLT fan
03-29-2006, 07:31 PM
So do you think Palmer watching the play after he threw was poor execution on his part?

It seems like most QB's need to watch the ball and see what happens. I don't blame him for getting hit, I don't blame Kimo. Its just one of those crappy things that happen when you have gigantic people running at eachother.

I think that one was his fault. I didn't really mean look down right away after you throw (like when Ben got hit, that has innoviodable) I mean like the Palmer one. He had already thrown and followed threw, yet he was still watching the ball fly when he got hit. He could've moved.

Hawk Believer
03-29-2006, 07:36 PM
I think that one was his fault. I didn't really mean look down right away after you throw (like when Ben got hit, that has innoviodable) I mean like the Palmer one. He had already thrown and followed threw, yet he was still watching the ball fly when he got hit. He could've moved.
So this is another earnest question. If you were coaching a QB, would you say that the QB should follow the ball for a moment or two and then look around to see who is comming at him. Or should the QB immediately back peddle after the throw to move out of the bullseye?

Suitanim
03-29-2006, 07:53 PM
You said "Look down", and I took that literally.

If you mean look downfield, then, yeah, as a QB, I was taught to spin the ball down so that my forefinger, after releasing the ball clock wise, ended up facing my receiver, and down towards the ground.

I had to "Unlearn" my natural spin which was counter clock-wise.

Hawk Believer
03-29-2006, 08:05 PM
You said "Look down", and I took that literally.

If you mean look downfield, then, yeah, as a QB, I was taught to spin the ball down so that my forefinger, after releasing the ball clock wise, ended up facing my receiver, and down towards the ground.

I had to "Unlearn" my natural spin which was counter clock-wise.

I was commenting on the following quote, which seems to represent the view held by most Steeler fans:

So I am asking if QBs are trained to keep an eye on the ball once it is thrown or should they immediately take evasive actions for any potential hit? If they should get evasive, how are they supposed to do that?

BTW Suit, how the heck did you get in the habit of releasing the ball with a counter clockwise spin? (I am assuming you are right handed.) I am having trouble imaging how to do that.

Suitanim
03-29-2006, 08:46 PM
I was commenting on the following quote, which seems to represent the view held by most Steeler fans:

So I am asking if QBs are trained to keep an eye on the ball once it is thrown or should they immediately take evasive actions for any potential hit? If they should get evasive, how are they supposed to do that?

BTW Suit, how the heck did you get in the habit of releasing the ball with a counter clockwise spin? (I am assuming you are right handed.) I am having trouble imaging how to do that.

I just did what my QB coach told me to do, and it helped a lot.

pucho58
03-29-2006, 09:00 PM

Good Point.

CantStop85
03-29-2006, 09:30 PM

Easier said than done, my friend. It's like a jump shot in basketball, you have to follow through...if you're so concerned with avoiding a defender, chances are your accuracy will be affected. The split second between the throw and the hit goes by a lot quicker when you're on the field. Hindsight's 20/20.

WWIIOwheelz
03-29-2006, 10:13 PM
Once the ball is away from your hand, you can't do ANYTHING to afect the outcome. That needs to be a conscious thing to train QBs to act on.

HburgXL06
03-29-2006, 11:52 PM
When you do a jump shot in basketball though some players fade away so that whether they miss or make the shot they are ready to be on the other end of the court to do defense. It would seem that even if a QB was done with a throw (past approx 2 seconds for that follow through action) he could look around or possibly even back peddle slightly to get out of the way of the still moving line. This idea might sound dumb as hell and if it does don't mock me...but arguing that doing such a thing would only put the QB in more danger of trippin backwards over a person behind would falter because in most passin plays the QB is first in a pocket but in most cases by the time the ball is released the QB has faded back towards the back of the pocket and has no one behind him that could hit him....if he just back peddled a few steps that would put him out of range of being hit by another player...Dlinemen are smart enough to see whether the QB would still have the ball or not by that time. I don't know just a suggestion.

As far as all these dumb rules it just seems that the more they open the officiating to subjective calls the more chance of bad calls and bias influence on the game.

BuFu

DIESELMAN
03-30-2006, 01:44 AM
Well Hell lets just put in a rule that says you can't rush the QB....I've said this before no matter what they do to protect the QB's injuries are going to happen....lets just say for arguement sake the QB quickly looks away from the ball after he throws it...where does he go or look first for someone? to the right? what if someone is coming from the left....to the left? what if someone is coming from the right? Why doesn't every team hire a QB spotter like in Nascar and he can yell through the helmet radio "clear left" "clear right"

hmmmmmmmm
03-30-2006, 09:24 AM
I can understand this rule cause QBs are the most vulnerable and losing a QB will end your season. They gotta loosen up on all the other roughing the passer crap though.....cause I cant understand bein flagged 15 yards for tapping a QB in the helmet with your hand or barely touching them after a throw and they fall.

83-Steelers-43
03-30-2006, 09:34 AM
Can't hit him in the head, because the fear of concussions. Can't hit him in the legs, because the fear of blowing out his knee.

On that note, if you hit him from the side and he lands on either his left or right arm there is a possibility of ending his season. If you hit him blind side from behind there is a possibility of ending his season. Are these going to be the new rules five years from now? Where does it end? How in the hell do you sack a QB these days minus a flag? It's pathetic.

I like Cowher's comments.........

"With all these new rules, soon we are going to be playing flag football.".

Milkman
03-30-2006, 10:55 AM
I can understand this rule cause QBs are the most vulnerable and losing a QB will end your season......

I remember a certain MVP runner-up (2nd to Manning in 2004) having his season ended with a knee injury. The Vikings actually did better with their back-up QB.

Losing your starting QB is not a good thing at all, but a smart team will find other ways to win in spite of that.

Injuries are a part of football and always will be...no matter what kind of rules they come up with.

:twocents:

SteelerzGirl
03-30-2006, 11:21 AM
Why doesn't every team hire a QB spotter like in Nascar and he can yell through the helmet radio "clear left" "clear right"

Now there's a plan...(lol)! :smile:

hmmmmmmmm
03-30-2006, 11:57 AM
I remember a certain MVP runner-up (2nd to Manning in 2004) having his season ended with a knee injury. The Vikings actually did better with their back-up QB.

Losing your starting QB is not a good thing at all, but a smart team will find other ways to win in spite of that.

Injuries are a part of football and always will be...no matter what kind of rules they come up with.

:twocents:

Theres a rare chance that your backup would actually do better then your starter.....RARE. Plus, after D.C. went down the defense started stepping up and thats the only thing that saved em. I understand this rule more then any of the other involving the QB. The QB is pretty much defensless when hes about too or while hes throwing the football......its just like the rule for the WRs.

I dont have a problem with this rule.....what I have a problem with is if you make accidental contact with the QB and he falls or you tap his helmet its 15 yards. I understand that they dont want the QB to be knocked out of the game but accidental contact that cant really cause any harm doesnt deserve 15 yards.....thats were I think they should loosen up on the roughing the passer crap.

TexaSteeler
03-30-2006, 12:06 PM

If Ben wasn't watching the play, he wouldn't have made, "The Tackle".

TexaSteeler
03-30-2006, 12:11 PM
...losing a QB will end your season. .

Or give guys like Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, Ben Rothlesberger a chance.

Milkman
03-30-2006, 05:25 PM

Exactly the point I was making on my last response.

Losing your QB is only a problem for teams that have no other way to win or don't take having a back-up serious enough.

klick81
03-30-2006, 05:41 PM
This is getting lamer and lamer, and lamer. Maybe the XFL needs to make a comeback :busted:

Hawk Believer
03-30-2006, 05:46 PM
QBs are generally the face of a team. NFL marketing tends to revolve around them. The loss of a QB represents the loss of an NFL investment in a lot of cases. I think these rules are influenced more by business than stewardship of the game.

hmmmmmmmm
03-30-2006, 08:07 PM
Exactly the point I was making on my last response.

Losing your QB is only a problem for teams that have no other way to win or don't take having a back-up serious enough.

True, but how many teams do you think have a back up of those caliber? I can tell you right now its probably less than 4 if even....If the Cowboys lost Bledsoe season over, Dolphins lose Culpepper, Saints lose Brees, Vikings lose Johnson, Broncos lose Plummer, Bengals lose Palmer, Colts lose Manning its not lookin good.

Yes the team can step up and still do sumthin with the season but theyd be alot better with their starter playing. Take the Bengals in the playoffs....they had a pretty good back up but he couldnt make throws that Palmer could make and it messed with the offense.

Do you think the Steelers woulda made the playoffs if Ben got clipped in the knees in week 2 and was out for the season? Everyone was hating on Maddox cause he was playing like crap now imagine having him in for 14 games because your starter got hurt when it coulda been avoided.

Milkman
03-30-2006, 08:14 PM
Remember, football is a "team" sport.

hmmmmmmmm
03-30-2006, 08:19 PM
True, but when the leader of your offense goes down your team takes a major hit. Especially if hes your franchise player

TasmanianTroy271
03-30-2006, 09:07 PM
Everyone was hating on Maddox cause he was playing like crap now imagine having him in for 14 games because your starter got hurt when it coulda been avoided.

I'd like to think that after 4 games of 2+ Interceptions, we would've given Batch a chance.

I agree with the point that all this is gonna do is create more questionable calls. I'm sure there will be a player whose being blocked, will see the oppurtunity to take out the QB, and do it, yelling how he was blocked into him. You can't stop all the dirty hits, and eventually, it just becomes futile.