PDA

View Full Version : Horse-collar tackles.....

DIESELMAN
03-30-2006, 01:50 AM
Bob Brookover, of the Philadelphia Inquirer, reports the NFL vote was 25-7 in favor of expanding the horse-collar rule that was approved last year after Dallas Cowboys S Roy Williams broke the leg of Philadelphia Eagles WR Terrell Owens with that style of tackle. Only two horse-collar penalties were called last season, when the rule prevented defensive players from pulling down offensive players by grabbing the back of their shoulder pads. Now, it is a penalty just to grab the back of a jersey on a horse-collar tackle.

Ambridge
03-30-2006, 03:01 AM
Now, it is a penalty just to grab the back of a jersey on a horse-collar tackle.

This a pathetic tack-on to an already assinine rule.

A defender in full speed pursuit of the ball carrier is going to be penalized because the only way he can stop the runner is by fully extending his arms and hands a grabbing the back of a jersey???

Absolutely ridiculous.

PisnNapalm
03-30-2006, 05:03 AM
Ok... This 'splains why some horse collars weren't penalties last season. A defensive player would grab the shoulder pads and slow down the runner, but then let go and tackle in more traditional fashion. That was not a penalty before, whereas now it will be.

I think it's a BS rule altogether.

kmsteelerwr15
03-30-2006, 05:25 PM
What the hell?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? How bout we start letting every offensive player drive a golf cart with a laser shield around them!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't you notice that the NFL only makes these retarded rules when a "superstar" gets injured?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I bet this NEVER would have been brought up if TO didn't get hurt!!!!!!!!

Hawk Believer
03-30-2006, 05:31 PM
What the hell?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? How bout we start letting every offensive player drive a golf cart with a laser shield around them!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't you notice that the NFL only makes these retarded rules when a "superstar" gets injured?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I bet this NEVER would have been brought up if TO didn't get hurt!!!!!!!!
Laser shields. Thats kinda cool. I bet the XFL would try it.

klick81
03-30-2006, 05:34 PM
Wow...this is ridiculous. So how are defensive players supposed to make tackles from behind now? Ony by grabbing on to their legs? Just ridiculous.

tony hipchest
03-30-2006, 05:47 PM
as of last year, if polamalu made an interception it was legal to tackle him by his hair. with the new jersey rule you would think this would include his hair. the rule must be amended cause we dont want troy getting hurt.

Livinginthe past
03-30-2006, 05:52 PM
as of last year, if polamalu made an interception it was legal to tackle him by his hair. with the new jersey rule you would think this would include his hair. the rule must be amended cause we dont want troy getting hurt.

I think Troy P. should have an 'emergency-Afro-release' button on his uniform somewhere just in case.

NM