PDA

View Full Version : Sanders making his mark

mesaSteeler
11-26-2010, 08:24 AM
Sanders making his mark
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_711057.html
By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, November 26, 2010

Steelers rookie wideout Emmanuel Sanders said opposing defensive players still don't know who he is.

That could change, and sooner rather than later.

Sanders has caught seven passes for 74 yards and a pair of touchdowns in the Steelers' last two games.

The third-round draft pick out of SMU has made such rapid progress after overcoming an early season quadriceps injury that he and veteran Antwaan Randle El are essentially sharing the job of No. 3 wide receiver.

"He's growing as fast as anybody I've ever had," Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said of Sanders. "Every time he gets an opportunity, he does extremely well with it."

That is true on special teams as well as on offense, as Sanders is the main reason why the Steelers lead the AFC in kickoff returns (26.4 yards per return).

Sanders has impressed the Steelers with his aptitude and studious nature.

But even the 5-foot-11, 180-pounder would admit that it doesn't take a ton of smarts for a first-year wide receiver to attach himself to the likes of Hines Ward and Randle El.

"I just every day try to get under Hines' wing, get under El's wing, take as many notes as I can and try to pay attention to the minute details," Sanders said.

What also has his attention is the respect Sanders said he has yet to receive from opposing defenses.

"Yeah it bothers me, but I've just to get in the weight room and keep getting stronger and staying in the playbook," Sanders said. "Some day, hopefully, all my hard work will pay off."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

steeltheone
11-26-2010, 09:44 AM
He really has looked good ! I was against his pick.

Fire Arians
11-26-2010, 10:49 AM
He really has looked good ! I was against his pick.

so was i, until i did my research on this kid. he never takes plays off and he's a physical blocker much like hines ward. He will be a good player.

Riddle_Of_Steel
11-26-2010, 05:00 PM
so was i, until i did my research on this kid. he never takes plays off and he's a physical blocker much like hines ward. He will be a good player.

^^ That, and for such a little guy, he sure has a lot of fight. On a couple of his receptions, I actually thought he was Ward for a few seconds, with the way he was fighting for more yards and dragging a bunch of defenders with him.

ETL
11-27-2010, 12:01 AM
If he's got half the heart that Hines has, he'll be a great player for us