View Full Version : Steelers' Pouncey putting it all on line

mesaSteeler
11-27-2010, 08:20 AM
Steelers' Pouncey putting it all on line
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_711182.html#
By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, November 27, 2010

Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey heard the horror stories about NFL rookies wearing down physically late in their first season. Entering Sunday's game at Buffalo his 11th as a starter Pouncey said he's never felt better.

"My body feels good,'' Pouncey said. "I hope I don't hit that rookie wall.''

Chances are, Pouncey probably won't. If anything, he appears to be getting stronger with each game.

Pouncey credits an intense conditioning program with Florida-based coach Tom Shaw, who trained Pouncey prior to his first NFL season.

"The offseason plays a big part,'' Pouncey said. "You really have to get after it. That's what I did. I worked with coach Shaw. He took such good care of me. He really trained me hard, but at the same time, he looked after me. I think the training played a big part, and now it's paying off. Hopefully, it keeps paying off.''

Shaw, who trains several other Steelers, including defensive captain James Farrior and cornerback Ike Taylor, said Pouncey's work ethic combined with his physical talent is what has separated him from other young players so early in his pro career.

"He's in great shape,'' Shaw said. "He's always going to be a guy that works out. The guys that have problems are the ones that want to take time off. Those are the guys that don't last long.

"Maurkice still lifts (weights) during the season. That's a big thing that (conditioning coordinator) Garrett (Giemont) really pushes from those guys. When you're strong and you're still lifting you're still running and conditioning that's what puts you ahead of the class.''

Said Pouncey: "In college, you're kind of forced to do it. After you leave college, it's on you to do it. You don't have a coach telling you, 'you gotta do this, you gotta do that.' You've got to get up in the morning and decide, 'I've got to get out there today.' ''

Shaw created an offseason program for Pouncey that concentrated on building his upper-body strength. Pouncey had no trouble blocking college defensive linemen, but being able to hold his own against NFL defensive linemen on a consistent basis meant he had to increase strength in his arms and shoulders.

"The big thing with him was upper-body strength. He really worked hard on that,'' Shaw said. "He didn't have to work on it as much in college. Technically, he's above his age, offensive-line wise. Strength-wise, he had to get a lot better. Upper body, he really had to work on that. Incline bench, shoulders he had to work on all of that stuff.''

So far, the results have been outstanding.

The first center drafted in the first round by the Steelers since 1937, Pouncey is considered a top candidate for rookie of the year honors.

Pouncey had no idea he'd make this big of an impact so quickly.

"When I first came here, I just wanted to earn the respect of my teammates,'' Pouncey said. " I never once thought about starting. I just wanted all the guys to like me.''

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Stu Pidasso
11-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Pouncey is a beast. One of our greatest draft picks in the last decade.

GameTime55
11-27-2010, 01:05 PM
He has been a great addition. ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL ROOKIE.

Fire Arians
11-27-2010, 02:30 PM
rookie of the year honors? I hear a lot of reporters saying he's in the running but seriously, there's a huge love affair with the media and ndamakough suh or however you spell his name. anytime he even gets a tackle they show the replay 40000 times

JewniorGong
11-27-2010, 03:17 PM
rookie of the year honors? I hear a lot of reporters saying he's in the running but seriously, there's a huge love affair with the media and ndamakough suh or however you spell his name. anytime he even gets a tackle they show the replay 40000 times

Don't they do offensive and defensive ROY awards? :tt03:

mikegrimey
11-27-2010, 04:31 PM

You act as if Suh is overhyped, have you watched him play? He's an absolute terror
8 Sacks an INT and a fumble recovery for a touchdown, as a DT in his rookie year, that's pretty damn good.

Pouncey is proving to be a great player as well but I would see offensive ROY going to Sam Bradford. QB is a lot more recognizable than center and Bradford has done pretty good considering the atrsoscity that is his supporting cast in St. Louis.

Fire Arians
11-27-2010, 04:41 PM
You act as if Suh is overhyped, have you watched him play? He's an absolute terror
8 Sacks an INT and a fumble recovery for a touchdown, as a DT in his rookie year, that's pretty damn good.

Pouncey is proving to be a great player as well but I would see offensive ROY going to Sam Bradford. QB is a lot more recognizable than center and Bradford has done pretty good considering the atrsoscity that is his supporting cast in St. Louis.

i never said he was overhyped, but he's in the spotlight too much to NOT get the ROY. dude is a beast no doubt. just saying as long as suh continues where he's going pouncey doesn't have a chance of getting ROY. offensive ROY maybe.

SH-Rock
11-27-2010, 05:43 PM
For the two years, the rookies have done phenomenally. Damn you Sweed, why couldn't you be great.

Fire Arians
11-27-2010, 06:08 PM
For the two years, the rookies have done phenomenally. Damn you Sweed, why couldn't you be great.

well it's not 100% over for him but after the emergence of sanders and brown he's fighting a total uphill battle.

his chances of getting cut next year are really good though. was a shame the dude could get separation. if he could hold on to the ball he'd have star potential

theplatypus
11-27-2010, 06:09 PM

Deservedly so, Suh is a monster.

theplatypus
11-27-2010, 06:13 PM
his chances of getting cut next year are really good though. was a shame the dude could get separation. if he could hold on to the ball he'd have star potential

I think something got in his head, supposedly he had very good hands at Texas