PDA

View Full Version : Kicker Shaun Suisham goes 4-for-4, earns teammates' respect

mesaSteeler
11-29-2010, 07:03 AM
Kicker Shaun Suisham goes 4-for-4, earns teammates' respect
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_711401.html
By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, November 29, 2010

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Shaun Suisham is now an official member of the Steelers.

Suisham was 4 for 4 kicking field goals Sunday, including the game-winning 41-yarder in the Steelers' 19-16 overtime win over the Buffalo Bills.

In his first pressure performance since replacing Jeff Reed a week ago, Suisham was at his best in a tight game in which the Steelers scored only one touchdown.

"How 'bout Shaun banging field goals for us?" coach Mike Tomlin said at his news conference. "He's now a Steeler -- Casey Hampton and others know his name now."

Running back Rashard Mendenhall, who gained a season-high 151 yards on 36 carries, said he knows who Suisham is.

"That was definitely clutch, a lot of pressure," said Mendenhall, who scored on a 1-yard run in the first quarter. "Four for four -- you'll take that every day, and it shows why he's here."

Mobbed by his teammates following the game-winner, Suisham was invited to speak with the media in the interview room after the game -- a practice normally reserved for quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

"It was a lot of fun," Suisham said. "It's amazing what can happen in a month. Start of the month, I lost my mother-in-law. I had been out of football this year. Two weeks ago I wasn't playing football, and now I'm part of the Pittsburgh Steelers and was fortunate to make a kick to win the game."

Suisham was a steadying influence all day.

When the offense bogged down at the Buffalo 27 early in the second quarter, Suisham booted a 45-yard goal to give the Steelers a 10-0 lead. It was his first field goal attempt after converting all five extra points last week against Oakland.

Suisham also boomed a 46-yard field goal in the second quarter, as the Steelers built a 13-0 lead. He drilled a 48-yarder in the fourth quarter that broke a 13-13 tie.

His final field goal try would determine how successful his day would be.

"Big field goal," Roethlisberger said. "He hit one later in the game, a long one to get us up three, and then that one at the end. Big hit. You know, (we had) confidence in him to come out and hit it."

Suisham said he didn't place undue pressure on himself after replacing the popular Reed, who was in his ninth season with the Steelers before being released.

"How could I? I mean, I'm not going to be any better for this football team if I am worried about it," said Suisham, who spent the 2005 training camp with Reed and the Steelers. "Jeff was great to me. I've always remembered that and certainly appreciate it. When you're with an organization as long as he has been, he's obviously done a lot of very good things. You just take the opportunities when you can get them.''

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

steeltheone
11-29-2010, 10:01 AM
Thats his job. Kick the damn ball into the endzone on kickoffs tho!

steelerdave1969
11-29-2010, 10:02 AM
This guy Suisham cant be over 5'5 and 130 lbs can he? . .. But Very Proud of Him for sure.

pitt0wns
11-29-2010, 11:32 AM
This guy Suisham cant be over 5'5 and 130 lbs can he? . .. But Very Proud of Him for sure.

6' 200

He looks weird out there... I'm just useta short and fat Reed. ;)

TRH
11-29-2010, 11:35 AM
Thats his job. Kick the damn ball into the endzone on kickoffs tho!

It was Reed's job too, to make field goals and he whiffed on 4 over 40 yards and a 26 yarder too.....I particularly paid special attention to his kick-offs and there was no difference between his kick-off's and Reed's.
Alot of people's complaints, mine included, about Reed, were not just limited to the missed field goals, the attitude problems, the botched on-side kicks, and his girlie-like, last resort tackle attempts.....they were his consistent short kick-offs as well.
Shaun did put one in the end zone as well.There was a lot of pressure on him in this first game and he deserves the kudos today.

GMU Steeler
11-29-2010, 04:11 PM
He had a great game. Really was a iittler nervous given his past with the Skins and Cowboys but he had a great game. Hope he continues to excel.

Merchant
11-29-2010, 05:00 PM
He had a touchback too. but overall his kickoffs were somewhat disappointing.

Fire Arians
11-30-2010, 02:42 AM
After going 4-for4 in Buffalo, Shaun Suisham has now made 12 field goals in a row from 40-49 yards. Jeff Reed had been 0-for-4 this year.

BGSU A Dub
11-30-2010, 03:09 AM
Jeff Reed did win some games for us all while kicking in one of the toughest stadiums to kick in. But, there always begins a downfall to a person's career and he may have found his (I'm sure he'd blame the turf). I like Suisham because 1. He didn't crack under the pressure 2. He's from BGSU and 3. His name is so much more fun to say.

Has anyone made a "Berman-ism" for him? Sean Swisher Sweet Suisham.

sharkweek
12-01-2010, 07:45 AM
After going 4-for4 in Buffalo, Shaun Suisham has now made 12 field goals in a row from 40-49 yards. Jeff Reed had been 0-for-4 this year.

this

40-49 yards is the quintessential FG range, you can't expect to have a super season without being able to rely on 3 points from that part of the field, and Reed was absolutely terrible this year in that range