PDA

View Full Version : Next 3 weeks will decide our fate

madtowndrunkard
11-29-2010, 09:42 AM
Games against B-more, Cinci, and the Jets in the next 3 weeks will decide our playoff fate. If we run the table I'd expect at least a bye in week 1 of the playoffs, if not HFA. If we lose all 3 we'll be lucky to make the playoffs let alone win a game come playoff time. We should win 2 out of the next 3 games if we want to be a legit contender.

After that its' the pathetic Panthers and Browns. I'm sure the Browns would love nothing more then to knock us out of the playoffs. So I'd like that game to be meaningless. 10 wins should get you a wild card spot. But if we can't put it together this late in the season then good luck beating the Patriots or Jets in the playoffs.

Most crucial is of course the Ravens matchup. This game is likely for the division title. The Ravens have the Texans, Saints, Browns, and Bengals left on their schedule. I expect 1 more loss out of them after our matchup. Which means we have to beat them if we want the division. There is a good chance we tie for the division given the ravens relatively easy schedule (other then the Saints) I honestly don't see us beating both the Jets and Ravens. Sweeping Cinci and Cleveland is going to be tough as well. Anyone know the tie breaker if we do tie w/ the Ravens?

If I were a betting man and given the fact we need to beat the officials as well as our opponent....my $ wouldn't be on us wining the division. Not after watching the 2-8 Bills basically beat us then let it slip through their hands. A good team has to put away a team like the Bills. We haven't beat a good team since week 1.

steelerdave1969
11-29-2010, 09:54 AM
I have to agree here Madtown with pretty much all you have said above. I was thinking the same thing last night and was up looking at the Conference Standings. We are 4th right now with a Tie Overall Record with the Ravens. Of course they hold the tie breaker right now with us, but with a win on sunday night vs the Ravens we will have 1 more win and a better Conference Record. If we beat the Ravens on Sunday Night we are in the drivers seat and we decide our destiny with the Jets coming up in a few weeks. The Jets and Patriots own the Best Records in the AFC at 9-2 . . of course the loser goes to 9-3 and the Winner of the Steelers - Ravens will be tied with that same record.
As of right now the Jets are 7-1 in the AFC and the Patriots are 7-2. Obviously if the Patriots win then they are tied and the winner of the Steelers - Ravens matchup will be in a Tie with them. Head to Head is first Tie Breaker, then Conference Record I Believe is the 2nd Tie Breaker.

Lord of Lombardi
11-29-2010, 10:05 AM
I think we finish the year 12-4, unfortunately so do the Rat birds. If we lose to them, they win the division. I think we run the table after that and tie them and make the playoffs as a W/C.

If we beat them, I think we lose to the Jets and still win the division. With the O Line and O coordinator we have, I don't see it happening. Add a bum wheel to big ben and that makes him less mobile.

Does anyone feel better about the Steelers after that game than before? We know how to suck against bad teams. We know how to take the ball and drive it down their throats on the opening drive and then let them off the hook. I know the Bills are a better team than their record indicates, yet we had them on the ropes and then we pulled an Arians. Other teams must be thankful that we have him as our coordinator.

steelerchad
11-29-2010, 10:21 AM
I have to agree here Madtown with pretty much all you have said above. I was thinking the same thing last night and was up looking at the Conference Standings. We are 4th right now with a Tie Overall Record with the Ravens. Of course they hold the tie breaker right now with us, but with a win on sunday night vs the Ravens we will have 1 more win and a better Conference Record. If we beat the Ravens on Sunday Night we are in the drivers seat and we decide our destiny with the Jets coming up in a few weeks. The Jets and Patriots own the Best Records in the AFC at 9-2 . . of course the loser goes to 9-3 and the Winner of the Steelers - Ravens will be tied with that same record.
As of right now the Jets are 7-1 in the AFC and the Patriots are 7-2. Obviously if the Patriots win then they are tied and the winner of the Steelers - Ravens matchup will be in a Tie with them. Head to Head is first Tie Breaker, then Conference Record I Believe is the 2nd Tie Breaker.

This is not entirely correct. The second tie breaker to decide the division winner is division record, which we would have control of if we beat Baltimore. Since Baltimore lost to Cincy earlier in the season, if we beat Baltimore, Cincy, Carolina, and the Browns and lose to the Jets finishing 12-4 we will win the division no matter if Baltimore wins out after our game. Both Pittsburgh and Baltimore will still play both Cleveland and Cincy, so an additional Baltimore loss to either of those teams will afford us the same luxury.

plenewken
11-29-2010, 10:34 AM
This is not entirely correct. The second tie breaker to decide the division winner is division record, which we would have control of if we beat Baltimore. Since Baltimore lost to Cincy earlier in the season, if we beat Baltimore, Cincy, Carolina, and the Browns and lose to the Jets finishing 12-4 we will win the division no matter if Baltimore wins out after our game. Both Pittsburgh and Baltimore will still play both Cleveland and Cincy, so an additional Baltimore loss to either of those teams will afford us the same luxury.

Based on what the Steelers have shown so far this season, and particularly a very average secondary, a penalty prone OL, an ineffective offense and a terrible play calling, I think we could finish either 11-5 or 10-6. I think we're a good enough team to get a WC but not good enough to go far in the off-season.
Again, it's based on what they've shown so far and I don't see things changing anytime soon.

ETL
11-29-2010, 10:45 AM
Look back at our 2 Super Bowl wins:

2005 - we barely made it to the playoffs as a 6th seed. We didn't have a dominant pass (Cedric Wilson was our starting WR - enough said) or run offense and got our asses handed to us by Indy during the regular season when we looked terrible. Still we won the SB

2008 - our OL was crap and we had no run game. We were beat thorougly late in the season by the Titans, a team that we likely would have faced in their stadium if it weren't for the Ravens upsetting them. Still we won the SB

It is way too early to say anything about anything. The naysayers always will seem right. Let face it - the naysayers in 31 on 32 teams will be correct because only one will win the SB. Even if we lose to Ravens and the Jets, we could finish with a 11-5 record and should make the playoffs. Once we're in - its a whole new game. I still have hope that the experience of this team will give us a better chance than other teams except may the patriots.

I think if we face the Pats with Brady in the playoffs, we will lose - they seem to know exactly how to beat us but I think we have the Chargers and Ravens numbers. The Jets ... who knows.

madtowndrunkard
11-29-2010, 10:58 AM
I have to say I cannot recall ever being in 1st place this late in the season with as little confidence as I have right now. If you are 8-3 you should be able to have little worries about beating teams like the Bengals, Browns, Bills, etc. Right now I wouldn't put a $100 on us beating anyone....not that I don't' think we are better then most teams...but I wouldn't risk $100 knowing we aren't all that much better then anyone else. We are barely getting by teams like the Dolphins, bill,s Bengals....etc....all bottom feeder teams that shouldn't' even give us a worry. One bad call against the Dolphins and one caught ball against the Bills and we are looking at 6-5 wondering what the heck happened to our season.

If there was one thing that sticks out in my mind this year as being our biggest issue...I'd have to say coaching. I can't recall saying that too often about the Pittsburgh steelers. So far this has been some of the worst coaching (and officiating) I've seen in Pittsburgh in a very very long time. Funny thing is the new ST's coach has been a huge upgrade....I think our O-line is also looking better then we have in years. But the playoff calling and game planning has been just plain awful. We look unprepared and unable to adjust when our opponents find success. Our 2nd half play is pitiful....that reflects directly on the coaches ability to manage a game and exploit your opponents weaknesses.

madtowndrunkard
11-29-2010, 11:04 AM
Look back at our 2 Super Bowl wins:

2005 - we barely made it to the playoffs as a 6th seed. We didn't have a dominant pass (Cedric Wilson was our starting WR - enough said) or run offense and got our asses handed to us by Indy during the regular season when we looked terrible. Still we won the SB

2008 - our OL was crap and we had no run game. We were beat thorougly late in the season by the Titans, a team that we likely would have faced in their stadium if it weren't for the Ravens upsetting them. Still we won the SB

It is way too early to say anything about anything. The naysayers always will seem right. Let face it - the naysayers in 31 on 32 teams will be correct because only one will win the SB. Even if we lose to Ravens and the Jets, we could finish with a 11-5 record and should make the playoffs. Once we're in - its a whole new game. I still have hope that the experience of this team will give us a better chance than other teams except may the patriots.

I think if we face the Pats with Brady in the playoffs, we will lose - they seem to know exactly how to beat us but I think we have the Chargers and Ravens numbers. The Jets ... who knows.

In both of those seasons we had flashes of brilliance. We just weren't consistent. We put it all together late in the season and during the playoffs.

I have yet to see any flash of brilliance...other then our defensive play. We have no identity on offense and a QB who looks out of sync w/ a O-coordinator who has no clue on how to manage a game.

When we won that SB in 2005 we out coached several teams in the playoffs. Our current head coach and OC does not believe in x's and o's....t.hey believe in letting the players win it on the field by executing what ever play they call. Bill Cowher, Whiz, and DL schooled Indy, Denver, and Cinci to get us in the SB. Genius playcalling in SB XL was also the reason we won. I dont see that happening this year.

pitt0wns
11-29-2010, 11:29 AM
We have the talent to beat BAL and NYJ easily BUT we lack coaching and the injurys are killing us.

steelcity1974
11-29-2010, 11:55 AM
A lot can happen in the final 5 weeks, but in my opinion this week's game against Ravens is the one that decides our playoff fate. Win and we are in great shape to win the division and get a first round bye. Lose and we will be looking at the 5 seed (assuming NE wins the east and we beat the Jets). To be honest, I don't really care how it turns out as long as we make the playoffs.

Fire Arians
11-29-2010, 11:57 AM
if we beat the ravens we will go far. jets don't scare me. strong running teams with no QB generally don't fare well vs us.

CaliStillersFan
11-29-2010, 01:32 PM
With the way our team has played this season, we'll be lucky to make the playoffs this year. I'd almost rather miss the playoffs and see them use that for motivation next season, than see this team go to Foxboro in game 1 and get smoked. The only thing worse than not making the playoffs is making them and losing to the Pats and being forced to listen to Boston fans run their mouths for a year. ;)

Steelerfreak58
11-29-2010, 01:46 PM
Every one of the next 5 count. The Browns are playing decent football they can't be overlooked.

Baltimore is playing lights out defense mix in our horribly atrocious offense and you are looking at a mess of a game that is a must win for us. I hope they can bring it together next week for a full 60 minutes against the Ravens.

We are currently really lucky to be 8-3. The team is finding ugly and lucky ways to win but against good teams they are getting beat.

The coaches are not doing much to adjust in the second half of games where we have been floundering all season long. Teams are however adjusting to our game play and flat out beating the piss out of us in the 3rd and 4th quarter.

Got to start playing 60 minutes of football...

Ben is holding on to the ball way way way too long...

Atlanta Dan
11-29-2010, 02:22 PM
Nothing has changed since week 4 when the Ravens won at Heinz - after that loss it was pretty clear that if the Steelers lost in Baltimore they would lose the division

What is somewhat suprising is that (so far) the Steelers have not lost any games that looked like certain wins when the schedule came out and have a very good 5-1 road record

Getting the #5 rather than #6 wildcard seed is no small thing since my bet is San Diego gets the #3 seed and whomever wins the weak AFC South is the # 4 seed
Neither the Ravens or Steelers want any part of a road game in San Diego in January

I am nowhere near as optimistic as I was in late Septembr about the Steelers chances this year but if someone told me around the time Colon was injured that this year's Steelers would make the playoffs as a wild card I would have taken it

Steeler4life1972
11-29-2010, 02:37 PM
Well here is the steeler way...play down to teams and make it close and very rarely blow out teams...been going on for a while and it boils down to our OC...no 2 ways about it. We have a 2 SB QB....air it out more....i dont believe in this balanced crap ratio shit...u go with what works...not sit there and say we are gonna be 50/50 run to pass before each game thats just stupid.