PDA

View Full Version : You know its happened before...overconfidence

BlitzburghRockCity
03-31-2006, 07:54 PM
In recent articles BC has mentioned on more than 1 occasion about how he's worried about the leadership on this team with ARE, Kimo and Hope now gone. Keisel will fill in nicely for Kimo and do a great job for sure. Let hope our new addition at safety from washington can learn our scheme and work well with Troy. Cedric gets his shot now as a starter, atleast penciled in as one so its time to see if he can put up or shut up. We've got the tools, and with some help from the draft we can sure up some depth and get ourselves ready for 2006.

In the past when we've had some success we've gotten some big heads and teams have come back to beat us when they have no business doing so. Are cowher's concerns about leadership and not getting overconfident , about this team a real issue or do you think its just another motivational tactic to keep us grounded ?

Thoughts?

tony hipchest
03-31-2006, 08:13 PM
i have to think hes keeping everyone on their toes. cowher has mentionned the leadership of hope and to hear hope toot his horn youd think he was the glue that brought the whole team together and maybe in a way he was. the good thing about being a steeler is that even a player of hopes relative youth and inexperience can FEEL like a leader. the steelers are full of leaders from hines and ben to porter and farrior. faneca and hartings are like the grizzled old vets and i really appreciate how jerome took up a big brother role with ben. if theres anything i think he has learned from his mentor it is sacrifice and leadership. ben is a smart dude and he is ready to assume a t. brady, p. manning, b. farve role with this team. only he doesnt quite have too.

its kind of like with lloyd, green, lake, and woodson on the field, how do you distinguish who is the leader? i would have to say that with any new players to the team the ones they are looking to first will be ben, porter and hines.

TasmanianTroy271
03-31-2006, 08:20 PM
I think the biggest loss from a team perspective was Kimo, because he was a prime example of how through hard work and determination, you can be starting and doing great even at 33. But even with his loss, we still have Vets at nearly every position, to show to young'ns how it's done. Faneca, Hartings, Hines, Deshea, Farrior, Porter, and Aaron Smith are all great examples of the veteran leadership on our team. I think we're good for next year, at least in that respect.

Suitanim
03-31-2006, 08:31 PM
Honestly? I think this is the one and only time an NFL coach who's always been an NFL coach has a bit of a disadvantage to an NFL coach who once coached in college. In college, you start from scratch each and every year, and the natural leaders emerge.

I really doubt that this will be a topic of discussion once workouts begin in April. Why? Because new leaders will emerge, as they inevitably do.

Stlrs4Life
03-31-2006, 09:38 PM
We still have leaders on this team. I do not believe we will be OC.

MasterOfPuppets
04-01-2006, 03:24 AM
we lost what ??? 3 starters out of 22....so that leaves 19 guys who knows what it takes to get too the SB.....we'll be fine....

HburgXL06
04-01-2006, 04:24 AM
We won't be overconfident...but the tactic is smart so that the team does remain grounded and not get their heads in the clouds. We have leaders on the team but it is the mutual respect of the players and coaches and owner, etc. that is what really holds the team together strong. I have no worries about our loses so far for next season. Peace.

BuFu

DIESELMAN
04-01-2006, 10:28 AM
Last year was not easy by any means,we struggled throughout the season and had to pull a run just to make the playoffs.Then the unbeliveable run through the playoffs and winning XL,that was one of the greatest feats in the history of the NFL.Because nothing was handed to us last year and the players had to overcome a lot of adversity I believe they will remember how close they came to having just another so so season.We have the core of our team intact and they will always remember what it took last season.I don't think losing Kimo will hurt us as far as leadership goes,the Steelers have that SB taste in their mouth and they will want to keep it and defend their title.There will be plenty of players stepping up this year.....:helmet:

Haiku_Dirtt
04-01-2006, 01:10 PM
Honestly? I think this is the one and only time an NFL coach who's always been an NFL coach has a bit of a disadvantage to an NFL coach who once coached in college. In college, you start from scratch each and every year, and the natural leaders emerge.

I really doubt that this will be a topic of discussion once workouts begin in April. Why? Because new leaders will emerge, as they inevitably do.

It is a new season so from that perpective everyone is huddled at the starting line. I know Cowher is saying (and we're trying to believe) that we are starting from scratch but are we really??

To say there is a void in leadership on this team or even a slight drop-off...I just don't see it. Richard LeBeau is the leader on D off the field. On the field - of the starters - who isn't?

And ARE and Hope were leaders? I doubt most would have thought this after the New England game last season.

Mosca
04-01-2006, 04:52 PM
IMO the leaders on the Steelers are set for years to come: Polamalu and Roethlisberger.

Tom

tony hipchest
04-01-2006, 05:06 PM
IMO the leaders on the Steelers are set for years to come: Polamalu and Roethlisberger.

Tomboth will be incredibly expensive in the next few years. personally i dont want polamalu to carry any burdon of being a team leader. he needs to just go out there and quietly do what he does and that is good enough. as far as safety play goes, he is already leading the NFL and the steelers by example.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-01-2006, 05:30 PM
Last year was not easy by any means,we struggled throughout the season and had to pull a run just to make the playoffs.Then the unbeliveable run through the playoffs and winning XL,that was one of the greatest feats in the history of the NFL.Because nothing was handed to us last year and the players had to overcome a lot of adversity I believe they will remember how close they came to having just another so so season.

Thats the perspective we need the players to have.. remember how tough training camp was, how everybody had us listed 3rd in the division finishing just above the clowns. How hard it was when Ben got hurt, Duce stayed hurt, Hines contact issues, Willie's ups n downs.. the Defensive players ups n downs, the whole 9 yards. We keep that perspective, and play tough, there's no reason we cant be successfull again this year.

tony hipchest
04-01-2006, 06:41 PM
Thats the perspective we need the players to have.. remember how tough training camp was, how everybody had us listed 3rd in the division finishing just above the clowns. How hard it was when Ben got hurt, Duce stayed hurt, Hines contact issues, Willie's ups n downs.. the Defensive players ups n downs, the whole 9 yards. We keep that perspective, and play tough, there's no reason we cant be successfull again this year.

year in and year out the steelers have been the top dogs who are either favorites or gunned after. the fact that the steelers have reached the champ game nearly 50% of the time during the cowher era speaks volumes. the steelers players cant be blamed for being a little ****y or arrogant, even the rookies. despite the teams shortcomings, cowher has been able to keep that in perspective, and for the most part his teams have produced. i think cowher will be the first to admit that his best coaching has yet to be seen and if there is any other coach who is more of a leader on the field i ask anyone to name him.

i will say the steelers have 4 potential head coaches lining up next year:

cowher
grimm
whiz
lebeau
(darren perry will be a damn good coordinator before we know it)

leadership is set ESPECIALLY when you count all the leaders on the field

Midnightwriter1
04-01-2006, 06:55 PM
Lebeau isnt going anywhere... He is staying with the Steelers until he retires from coaching. The man is around 70 already. i definately think Grmm and Whiz will be gone.

BlacknGold Bleeder
04-02-2006, 12:03 PM
IMO
Leadership is provided by coaching staff then it is up to players to lead by example on the field. Troy exemplifies this, so did Jerome. The old adage left over from the Noll era "Whatever it takes" is what the Steelers are all about. Cowher is just trying to keep his players as level headed as possible. We will be fine. Next target XLI !!!

clevestinks
04-03-2006, 11:21 AM
I thinks its more for vmotivation, although trying to repeat should be enough motivation

83-Steelers-43
04-03-2006, 11:58 AM
Leadership wise, I'm more concerned with Jerome gone than Kimo, Hope or Randle El. Actually, I never considered Hope or Randle El "leaders" to begin with. We still have Ward for leadership and Ben is filling in the leadership role nicely. Leadership is an area I'm not concerned about when dealing with this team. I think with having Ben, Ward, Porter, both Smith's, Faneca and Bill Cowher at the helm, they will stay grounded.