PDA

View Full Version : Elephant in the room

thumper
11-29-2010, 05:22 PM
Yea, it sucks that the league is very much against this team,
against our players and treating the calls ridiculously unfair.
But all that being said, let's face it: this team, as is, isn't that good.

There are many reasons why they are not truly a legit contender, at
this point (Things can change, not giving up on season yet):

- injuries. I don't know how many team can lose three OTs and
both DEs and not feel some drop in play. It would be awesome if
we were just as good without those players, but that isn't realistic. How
many teams can be a top team with a new OL line up for 6 weeks in a
row, or whatever it was?

- Play calling. Running up the middle most 1st and 2nd downs, leaving
Ben with super obvious passing downs come 3rd down is not a picture
of a likely successful game plan. I was screaming at the TV - "Do NOT
just run up the middle 1st and 2nd down again!" and sure as shit, they
still did. The only time this team seems to move the ball and score much
with any consistency is when Ben is allowed to call his own plays. So
what does our brass do with such obvious trends in front of their faces?
Ignore it and keep doing the same shit play calling that doesn't work for shit.

- Ben himself. Whether you want to attach the play calling to this line item,
or not, so be it. And argument can be made either way. But whether or not
Ben's "play" is damaged by the crap play calling or not, his act of the 5 pump
fakes every pass play (almost every, when he just gets rid of it they are
far more successful) and not thinking of getting rid of the ball until he has
3 defenders grabbing his legs, it's bull shit. That trend must be altered. I am
so sick of him creating pressure where none needed to exist other than he
has to do 5 pump fakes and/or wait until players are hanging all over him
before he tries to get rid of the ball.

There is more, but that's enough to chew on for now. Bottom line, this team, as
is, will not beat the teams in the upper tier. I feel like Jets, Ravens, Bolts and Pats
are significantly better than this current team.

Pgh is flawed.

casteeler
11-29-2010, 05:33 PM
Very upsetting but absolutely true

ricardisimo
11-29-2010, 05:48 PM
More exciting post-modernist verse from thumper! Is it free verse? Cinquain? Villanelle? Canzone? Maybe it's neo-haiku, or even an acrostic! Let the poetic excitement begin!

The important thing with any legitimate art form is that it has to be sufficiently pessimistic, which thumper - as always - accomplishes with great aplomb. Kudos.

thumper
11-29-2010, 05:58 PM
More exciting post-modernist verse from thumper! Is it free verse? Cinquain? Villanelle? Canzone? Maybe it's neo-haiku, or even an acrostic! Let the poetic excitement begin!

The important thing with any legitimate art form is that it has to be sufficiently pessimistic, which thumper - as always - accomplishes with great aplomb. Kudos.

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil, or, in this case, see, hear and speak
no truth.

Face truth, even if it's not the best of news. I said I wasn't giving up on
the season, as things can still change, but you conveniently left that part out,
like the true zealot you are - choosing to hide from reality. Sad.

SH-Rock
11-29-2010, 06:00 PM
It would be awesome if we win the Superbowl and see Goodell's face

SteelCityMom
11-29-2010, 06:04 PM
Sorry, while I may not think all points you make are invalid...I disagree with your final assessment of it.

How spoiled are we (in a large part) as a fanbase when some start calling an 8-3 team 'just not that good'. Fans of other teams must think we're the snootiest bastards on the planet for saying and thinking things like that.

Once playoffs roll around (and yes...I'm 99% sure we'll make the playoffs), all bets are off. Throwing in the towel at this point in the season is just plain silly.

SteelCityMom
11-29-2010, 06:06 PM
Oh god...not more uncomfortable truths.

http://www.liquidmatrix.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/facepalm.jpg

zulater
11-29-2010, 06:11 PM
. If Thumper wants to imagine how bad an offense could possibly be imagine with our current spate of offensive line injuries where this offense would be without a qb the quality of Ben?

ricardisimo
11-29-2010, 06:36 PM
See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil, or, in this case, see, hear and speak
no truth.

Face truth, even if it's not the best of news. I said I wasn't giving up on
the season, as things can still change, but you conveniently left that part out,
like the true zealot you are - choosing to hide from reality. Sad.
[fingers in ears] Lalalalalalalala... I can't hear you. I'm just going to stay in my fragile little fantasy world, where 8-3, and all three losses to teams with the same or better records, is somehow considered good. Where's my glue? I need to start sniffing it again.

SoCalFan
11-29-2010, 06:43 PM
All seasons are peaks and vallys,hopefully we peak at the rite time!!!

LVSteelersfan
11-29-2010, 06:58 PM
This team is not as bad as people want to portray them to be. I find it amazing that they are 8-3 with the combination of Ben's suspension, loss of Colon, Starks, Smith, Keisel. It is amazing they are still standing. It shows the team is not that bad. But Arians still sucks.

SteelCityMom
11-29-2010, 07:06 PM
This team is not as bad as people want to portray them to be. I find it amazing that they are 8-3 with the combination of Ben's suspension, loss of Colon, Starks, Smith, Keisel. It is amazing they are still standing. It shows the team is not that bad. But Arians still sucks.

I was just going to post the same thing. Being 8-3 with all the teams been through this offseason and during the season is amazing.

Just look at what injuries only have done to the Colts. They're coming dangerously close to not making the playoffs.

Rick5895
11-29-2010, 07:13 PM
Last season we were saying we didn't run enough, now we do, and thats not good enough. Arians , IMO, is not a good OC, there seems to be no rythm in the offensive play calling, silly reverses , El throwing passes are all well and good when you have called plays in succesion to set them up, but Arians calls them any time any where with seemingly no thought.
That all being said, the game yesterday was nearly lost yesterday because of penalties, not the play calling. If that trend doesn't stop we could have the greatest of all co-ordinators calling our offense and we will still struggle to score.

cubanstogie
11-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Last season we were saying we didn't run enough, now we do, and thats not good enough. Arians , IMO, is not a good OC, there seems to be no rythm in the offensive play calling, silly reverses , El throwing passes are all well and good when you have called plays in succesion to set them up, but Arians calls them any time any where with seemingly no thought.
That all being said, the game yesterday was nearly lost yesterday because of penalties, not the play calling. If that trend doesn't stop we could have the greatest of all co-ordinators calling our offense and we will still struggle to score.

Arians has had a solid year. I have come to the conclusion that the guys who wan't him replaced will never give him credit so I am done trying to convince. I will say since Ben has come back the offense has been very balanced. We have been converting the 3rd and 1's much more often with Redman running and now don't have to rely on pass or some gadget play to get the short yardage. Penalties and a few costly dropped passes have killed us, and our loss to the Patsies was pure domination by them at the line of scrimmage and arse chin tore us apart. Now for my knocks on BA, the trick plays against inferior teams is irritating especially when we drove it down there throats on the first drive. I have no problem sticking to the run even if we punt. It is like body punches in boxing, pays dividends later. Next is our red zone offense, they need to come up with some different packages. This team reminds me of the team 3 years ago that lost to Jax in playoffs. Banged up line and secondary a little supect.

saveus1011
11-29-2010, 07:54 PM
Good to know I'm not the only one who's worried this could be 2007 all over again.

TRH
11-29-2010, 07:58 PM
the injuries and the play-calling are definite problems. While its not a "great" team now, you certainly have to preface that by considering the injuries.
I don't agree with your comments on Big Ben. His extending plays has far helped us more than its hurt us. And he's a great leader. Ben could pass for 5,000 yards this year, throw 45 TD's, throw no INT's, help the team win the SB and people would still say he's a problem, he doesn't get rid of the ball, etc.

saveus1011
11-29-2010, 07:59 PM
I feel like I'm the only Steelers fan who's a Ben fan at times. Dude's Superman.

BigRick
11-29-2010, 11:30 PM
I was just going to post the same thing. Being 8-3 with all the teams been through this offseason and during the season is amazing.

Just look at what injuries only have done to the Colts. They're coming dangerously close to not making the playoffs.

Very, very true. They have done better than I expected. As far as the Colts go I hope they miss the playoffs. i live 50 miles from Indy and get tired of listening to their excuses. Manning was a chocker in college and hasn't changed, but usually blames somebody else for his shortcomings. :tt03:

zulater
11-29-2010, 11:37 PM
the injuries and the play-calling are definite problems. While its not a "great" team now, you certainly have to preface that by considering the injuries.
I don't agree with your comments on Big Ben. His extending plays has far helped us more than its hurt us. And he's a great leader. Ben could pass for 5,000 yards this year, throw 45 TD's, throw no INT's, help the team win the SB and people would still say he's a problem, he doesn't get rid of the ball, etc.

Yep, you said it. :thumbsup:

bozz723
11-29-2010, 11:54 PM
In no way, shape, or form are we worse than the Ravens or Jets.

Chargers and Pats..MAYBE. I still think the Steelers can beat the Pats if we next see them. The best team in the league IMO are the Chargers.

steelersalaska
11-30-2010, 02:45 AM
I'm with Ricardisimo and SCMom.

This is a good team this year, better than alot of the past. Injuries really effect the charisma of a team, just look at the Colts. Right now we're winning most games with an NFL offensive line equivalent to the "Bad News Bears" theme. Not to mention our offense is playing against a 12 man defense. Of course the 12'th man is the NFL (referees) or "Robin Hood Goodell" who takes from the best defense and gives to the poorest.

Ben is Ben. I'll take him anyday against this leagues "finest". He plays to win and plays hard... he's not a china Brady doll nor a pompous Manning. He's our Pittsburgh quarterback and he fits in here. Arians is an enigma to me, I can't figure him out, just hoping that he's playing "so" predictable that when we get to the playoffs and he turns this offense loose that nobody could possibly defend against it. The same with LeBeau... we've been playing awfully soft as far as the blitzing attack of a few years back, I've seen flashes of it this year and nobody could stop it. Maybe he's saving it too for crunch time.

Pittsburgh fans are a spoiled bunch of fans and I'm glad we're able to be in that position.

MikeHaullace
11-30-2010, 03:20 AM

row, or whatever it was?

is, will not beat the teams in the upper tier. I feel like Jets, Ravens, Bolts and Pats

Pgh is flawed.

No offense, but this just comes off as a time-waster with a delicate balance of Debbie Downer and Captain Obvious.

Nothing to see here, folks.

DanRooney
11-30-2010, 03:30 AM

row, or whatever it was?

Pgh is flawed.

-Pittsburgh hasn't been running up the middle. They've been running towards Flozell and Essex/Foster for most of the season. When they've ran up the middle through Pouncey, they've had a lot success (see Redman).

-Ben's pump fakes are letting his receivers get open. He hasn't thrown too many interceptions if you've noticed, so he's doing a pretty good job of taking care of the ball (outside of the Miami game). Ben isn't not going to be a timing quarterback with guys like Hines on the field every down. He needs speed receivers out there to do that. It takes Ward an eon of time to get open.

grward
11-30-2010, 10:59 AM
We are what our record says we are!

theplatypus
11-30-2010, 11:11 AM
The same with LeBeau... we've been playing awfully soft as far as the blitzing attack of a few years back, I've seen flashes of it this year and nobody could stop it. Maybe he's saving it too for crunch time.

I think what we're seeing from the Lebeau and the defense has more to do with the injuries than anything else. Everyone is pretty banged up at this point and I believe Lebeau is trying to get them healthy for the stretch run. For weeks we were wondering why Troy hasn't been utilized the same way we're used too, only to find out that he's been nursing an achiles injury.

thumper
11-30-2010, 12:14 PM
No offense, but this just comes off as a time-waster with a delicate balance of Debbie Downer and Captain Obvious.

Nothing to see here, folks.

Nothing to see, but I noticed you didn't even __ try __ to refute the specific
assertions. I wonder why?

thumper
11-30-2010, 12:17 PM
-
-Ben's pump fakes are letting his receivers get open. He hasn't thrown too many interceptions if you've noticed, so he's doing a pretty good job of taking care of the ball (outside of the Miami game). Ben isn't not going to be a timing quarterback with guys like Hines on the field every down. He needs speed receivers out there to do that. It takes Ward an eon of time to get open.

And yet, Brady, Manner, et al. are able to be timing QBs without their
former speed receivers. So, I wonder why they can do it but Ben can't?
Rivers losses Jackson? Have #1 offense in league. Brady losses Moss?
They go on a crazy winning steak, including killing Pgh with ease. Manning
losses virtually everyone? Still can put points on the board, although has
been starting to unravel due to massive amount of injuries that never stopped.
Ben CAN get the ball out quicker, he just choses not to.

thumper
11-30-2010, 12:18 PM

I'm confused. I specifically included injuries in my list of causes for us
being not as good as advertised, and most posters ignore the fact
that I did indeed make mention of this. Why is that?

thumper
11-30-2010, 12:23 PM
Arians has had a solid year. I have come to the conclusion that the guys who wan't him replaced will never give him credit so I am done trying to convince. I will say since Ben has come back the offense has been very balanced. We have been converting the 3rd and 1's much more often with Redman running and now don't have to rely on pass or some gadget play to get the short yardage. Penalties and a few costly dropped passes have killed us, and our loss to the Patsies was pure domination by them at the line of scrimmage and arse chin tore us apart. Now for my knocks on BA, the trick plays against inferior teams is irritating especially when we drove it down there throats on the first drive. I have no problem sticking to the run even if we punt. It is like body punches in boxing, pays dividends later. Next is our red zone offense, they need to come up with some different packages. This team reminds me of the team 3 years ago that lost to Jax in playoffs. Banged up line and secondary a little supect.

OK, if Arians was having such a "solid" year, I'd expect to be better than 19th
in total offense, considering we have a franchise QB. 19th is nothing to brag
about. Our banged up OL is partly to blame, but, let's he honest: That OL wasn't
very good before they got guys hurt. This is simply not that great of a team at this
point. And wasting plays with trick plays is an embarrassment. I want to vomit
when I see them do those God awful reverses, etc. Just pathetic.

SteelCityMom
11-30-2010, 01:12 PM
I'm confused. I specifically included injuries in my list of causes for us
being not as good as advertised, and most posters ignore the fact
that I did indeed make mention of this. Why is that?

Didn't ignore it at all. If you read my first post in this thread I stated that I agreed with your points, but not your conclusion.

They are 8-3 DESPITE injuries. You list it as part of the reason the team 'just isn't that good'...I consider it part of the reason the team is that good. The O-line is worse than the the one that was on the field in '08 IMO, and yet the record is exactly the same at this time of year. I think that says a lot.

SteelCityMom
11-30-2010, 01:16 PM
OK, if Arians was having such a "solid" year, I'd expect to be better than 19th
in total offense, considering we have a franchise QB. 19th is nothing to brag
about. Our banged up OL is partly to blame, but, let's he honest: That OL wasn't
very good before they got guys hurt. This is simply not that great of a team at this
point. And wasting plays with trick plays is an embarrassment. I want to vomit
when I see them do those God awful reverses, etc. Just pathetic.

Disagree with the bolded statement (if you are going to go by offensive ranking). Last year (except for center) they had the same lineup as this year and were ranked 7th when relatively healthy. This year (and in '08) when dealing with a severely banged up O-line and 2 key players on IR, the ranking drops considerably. This is not coincidence.

stb_steeler
11-30-2010, 01:17 PM
I agree with most of your points on this thumper but, weve all seen the Steelers at a much worse position in the past including the 05 season, when everyone seen us as a losing team. At 8-3 it is what it is and lets just go with it. It could get better, could get worse.

thumper
11-30-2010, 01:25 PM
Didn't ignore it at all. If you read my first post in this thread I stated that I agreed with your points, but not your conclusion.

They are 8-3 DESPITE injuries. You list it as part of the reason the team 'just isn't that good'...I consider it part of the reason the team is that good. The O-line is worse than the the one that was on the field in '08 IMO, and yet the record is exactly the same at this time of year. I think that says a lot.

I actually agree that posting an 8-3 record, all things considered, is pretty
impressive. That was never my point. My point is that this isn't a top-tier team.
If healthy? Maybe. But for the reasons I listed, they are simply not much
better than average. And, it is likely to be revealed soon, as they have to play
the Jets and Ravens. Beat those teams? Then I will change my mind. But
right now, Pgh is winning on fumes. OL sucks. And they did before injuries.
I also believe if they let Ben call his own plays more often, this team could
beat anyone. But as is, with Arians calling total SHIT, this team will struggle
to put points up in the 20s. And, even with our good D, that isn't usually
enough.

Right now, as things are, Pgh most likely loses to Balt, NY, Pats and Bolts. All
4 of those teams are better than the current Steelers. But if Ben were allowed
to call his own plays and go semi-no huddle, they could probably beat any
of them. But that isn't going to happen, because of the coaching staff's egos and
arrogance.

thumper
11-30-2010, 01:31 PM
I agree with most of your points on this thumper but, weve all seen the Steelers at a much worse position in the past including the 05 season, when everyone seen us as a losing team. At 8-3 it is what it is and lets just go with it. It could get better, could get worse.

I don't disagree. But...that 2005 team had the talent. They just
weren't on the same page until they found unity and crushed
the Bears and never looked back. They also had a solid OL.
It's possible they can find that "us against the world" moment
and find unity, etc. But this team doesn't have that feel, yet. It's
possible they will. We will just have to see. My main point is:
right now, this team won't likely beat the Ravens, etc. as they
are simply not as good.

SteelCityMom
11-30-2010, 01:31 PM
I actually agree that posting an 8-3 record, all things considered, is pretty
impressive. That was never my point. My point is that this isn't a top-tier team.
If healthy? Maybe. But for the reasons I listed, they are simply not much
better than average. And, it is likely to be revealed soon, as they have to play
the Jets and Ravens. Beat those teams? Then I will change my mind. But
right now, Pgh is winning on fumes. OL sucks. And they did before injuries.
I also believe if they let Ben call his own plays more often, this team could
beat anyone. But as is, with Arians calling total SHIT, this team will struggle
to put points up in the 20s. And, even with our good D, that isn't usually
enough.

Right now, as things are, Pgh most likely loses to Balt, NY, Pats and Bolts. All
4 of those teams are better than the current Steelers. But if Ben were allowed
to call his own plays and go semi-no huddle, they could probably beat any
of them. But that isn't going to happen, because of the coaching staff's egos and
arrogance.

Well...we'll just have to agree to disagree. Considering all the crap this team has been through this year they could be doing a lot worse. I guess I'm just not a glass half empty type of person. :noidea:

Anyway, you very well may be right...but I still think it's silly to call an 8-3 team not that good. It just seems spoiled to me.

Steelerfreak58
11-30-2010, 01:56 PM
Got to agree with a lot the original post said. I don't like it but its pretty obvious and painful truth. I hope they can come out and slap the Ravens in the mouth and play a hard 60 minutes of football and pull off a win. The way they have been playing it isn't looking like it is going to happen but one can hope.

thumper
11-30-2010, 02:04 PM
Well...we'll just have to agree to disagree. Considering all the crap this team has been through this year they could be doing a lot worse. I guess I'm just not a glass half empty type of person. :noidea:

Anyway, you very well may be right...but I still think it's silly to call an 8-3 team not that good. It just seems spoiled to me.

When I said "Not that good" I meant they are - not right now - likely
to beat the true, top teams. I see Pgh hanging on for their lives to
win the last few they have and got smashed thoroughly by the one
good team they played lately - NE - and it wasn't even close. I see
Balt. as much more solid across the board: OL, RB, WR, about tied
in D. Flacco has come on. Boldin has given them heart. Pgh is patched
together with paper clips. Will be glad to be wrong on this one.

stb_steeler
11-30-2010, 02:40 PM
I will say this, the team doesnt seem to be gellin right now and it is a reflection on the coaching (play calling). I do see things better when Ben makes the calls and the no huddle works alot. Lets not forget we seen alot of miscues from the players alot this year. That doesnt help much either, Id love to see what and how the team would perform if we had a new OC , and if for some reason we would do crappy with a new OC what would we blame it on then?. Theres definatly something missing!
Some fire unda their azz's? who knows.

plenewken
11-30-2010, 02:49 PM
Id love to see what and how the team would perform if we had a new OC .......... .

Me too and I hope I won't have to wait too long.

thumper
11-30-2010, 03:12 PM
I will say this, the team doesnt seem to be gellin right now and it is a reflection on the coaching (play calling). I do see things better when Ben makes the calls and the no huddle works alot. Lets not forget we seen alot of miscues from the players alot this year. That doesnt help much either, Id love to see what and how the team would perform if we had a new OC , and if for some reason we would do crappy with a new OC what would we blame it on then?. Theres definatly something missing!
Some fire unda their azz's? who knows.

Anyone with a working brain knows those trick plays are a total
waste of downs. And yet that dipshit still keeps calling them. The
most prolific offenses in history had the QB calling a lot of their own
plays, and the plays were relatively simple - see Jim Kelly and those
prolific Bills. They had a total of 4 run plays: toss left, left side of center,
toss right and right side of center. That was it. Kelly just looked where the
safety was. If he was up, he called a pass, if they were back, he ran
Thurman.

Yet these ding dongs make it more complicated - and shitty - than need be.

ricardisimo
11-30-2010, 04:20 PM
You're not going to get a whole lot of arguments from me regarding Arians' playcalling. He's stinks at it. Furthermore, I cannot put into words the pain I feel when I look at the screen and see no RB, or Mendenhall right next to Ben, or Mewelde in there for extended periods... all of that oh-so-clever Arians mixing it up and faking them out BS, and they're-never-going-to-figure-this-one-out nonsense.

And the few times Mendy is set behind Ben, let's perpetually run him behind the weak backups on the right, instead of to the left or up the middle. Although, to be fair, the entire line is gimpy now, so it really doesn't matter where he runs... what a conundrum for Bruce! How will we do the counterintuitive when everything is counterintuitive?

Rick5895
12-01-2010, 11:35 AM
You're not going to get a whole lot of arguments from me regarding Arians' playcalling. He's stinks at it. Furthermore, I cannot put into words the pain I feel when I look at the screen and see no RB, or Mendenhall right next to Ben, or Mewelde in there for extended periods... all of that oh-so-clever Arians mixing it up and faking them out BS, and they're-never-going-to-figure-this-one-out nonsense.

And the few times Mendy is set behind Ben, let's perpetually run him behind the weak backups on the right, instead of to the left or up the middle. Although, to be fair, the entire line is gimpy now, so it really doesn't matter where he runs... what a conundrum for Bruce! How will we do the counterintuitive when everything is counterintuitive?

Mendy gets his best runs going to the right. When he is going right we are pulling Kemo, as Kemo is much better when pulling than when he goes straight ahead.
I hate the fact that Moore is in for extended periods of time, I get it in passing situations as Moore picks up the blitz better, but he is just too damn slow.
Arians is a good WR coach, but anytime he has been an OC (here and Cleveland) the offense has struggled to score.
But at some point we have to face facts as fans, this team has a very average O-Line and with the injuries we are below average. This is going to affect our scoring potential, because with beleow average players on the line we are going to struggle to consistantly put those long 8-12 play drives together for touchdowns. We will get holding penalties and false starts which will put us in holes.
The trick plays worked in '05 because it was not expected, now every team prepares the D for the "gimmick" plays swhich we run always between the 40's. The other teams are ready for it and further to that our "gimmick's take too long to develop.
We are doing remarkably well considering the line injuries and our challenged OC, but to be honest until we fix our o line it won't matter who is the OC.

Lets hpe we destroy the ratbirds