PDA

View Full Version : Stewart Signed By Steelers

Steelhorse
04-01-2006, 10:31 AM
Pittsburgh, Pa. (March 31, 2006) -- Kordell Stewart worked diligently to stay in football shape over the past year, hopeful some NFL team would again give him the opportunity to extend his NFL career.

His effort was rewarded in a very unique way. Today, the Pittsburgh Steelers signed their ex-starting quarterback Stewart to play behind hometown quarterback Charlie Batch, who took over the number two position last year from Tommy Maddox. Maddox was released from the Steelers earlier last month. Details of the deal were not disclosed, however the former Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback is said to have signed a two-year, $1.95 million contract with Pittsburgh.

Stewart, 33, is considered by head coach Bill Cowher as a good back-up fit with the Steelers considering his experience in the league. The 11-year veteran more recently served as the back-up for the Baltimore Ravens and previously the Chicago Bears.

'It's the logical choice,' coach Bill Cowher said. 'Kordell gave us some great football when he was here and he is very familiar with our divisional opponents. We?ve had some good talks over the past two weeks and I?m confident that Kordell understands his new role and also understands the versatility we?re looking for in him. Even though we changed up our system somewhat, there should be enough carry-over for him, verbiagewise, that he can adjust quickly. It's a nice comfort zone having him back. Ben should benefit from his level of experience.'

The Steelers are also comfortable with Batch as their immediate back-up to Roethlisberger. Cowher said that Stewart will have, ?every opportunity? go compete with Batch for the second position. 'One of the nice things about Charlie and Kordell is they have similar attributes,' Cowher said. 'They're both active in the pocket, they both have strong arms, they both move around decently, so we don't have to change a whole lot.'

Whether Stewart claims the back-up job is uncertain. 'Charlie is our second string quarterback, and he will be our second string quarterback until circumstances change,' Cowher said. 'That's the only approach we can take and that's as far forward as we're going to go with it right now.' If Stewart can grasp the offense, it?s pretty certain he will get the nod.

The Steelers contacted him on March. 12, and Stewart secretly worked out for the team at their Southside facility the following week. Just like that, the former Steelers star and 2001 Pro Bowler was back in the NFL and on his old team.

'I knew I could still play the game. I'm young in comparison to some quarterbacks that are playing right now,' he said. 'So, as far as my confidence and thinking it was going to happen, yes I did. You always have that hope, wishing someone could call you sooner rather than later.' As far as being out of football a season, Stewart added, 'It was very tough. You want to be out there competing,' he said. 'Not having a chance to play was really tough. But I tried to turn a negative into a positive. I tried to look at it from a positive aspect, continue to watch the game, study the game and learn things that I didn't know before.'
His objective is not to take a job away from anyone. Stewart merely wants the opportunity to see his old team repeat as world champions.

'I want to show Coach Cowher and the other coaches that I haven't lost a step, that I'm the same guy that helped this team get to the playoffs a few years ago,' Stewart said. 'Whenever they need me, I'll be ready to step up and do whatever's asked, even if it means playing in other roles.'

During his previous tenure with the Steelers, Stewart took the team to the AFC Championship game, losing to the New England Patriots, as well as incurring the wrath of coach Bill Cowher.

Also, that same year, he set records for completion percentage (60.2), rushing yards (537) and finished fourth in the balloting for NFL MVP. He has also has taken Pittsburgh to the title game in 1997 just two years after being drafted by the Steelers in the second round (60th).

The signing of Stewart comes after an intense few weeks of teams around the league trying to sign qualified back-up quarterbacks. Steelers owner Art Rooney has put out the following statement on the signing of Stewart, 'April f*cking fools!'

SteelR1
04-01-2006, 10:33 AM
You got me for about 5 seconds, then i was like "wait a second, isnt today"

Nice one!!!

Midnightwriter1
04-01-2006, 10:44 AM
hahahahhahaaa

Lyn
04-01-2006, 10:57 AM
That was a great one! Someone posted Big Ben A brown on my club board and my heart stopped then I thought IMPOSSIBLE!

I posted it on another board and they decided to take personal shots at me as opposed to the date. Some people are very insecure and they feel the need to put someone down on an internet message board, poor souls.

Steelhorse
04-01-2006, 11:03 AM
Yeah - You know the expression "Life flashed before your eyes" - well I had about 10 reels of Slash film clips passing before my eyes and I was thinking WTF are they doing??? I'm still trying to mop up the orange juice

Midnightwriter1
04-01-2006, 12:38 PM
He really should have been more open to playing WR, i think he could have made a very good slot receiver and making some huge bucks... I mena think of what Randle El just got?? Stewart could have posted some very good numbers, been an emergency 3rd QB, been trick play man and gettting some serious Jack had he just accepted the fact that he wasnt a long term solution as a NFL QB.

SteelerFanInATL
04-01-2006, 04:11 PM
Caught me slipping!!! I read the whole thing then was blidsided at the end. Back in 96 or 97 when I was stationed in Colorado Springs there was a radio announcement that the Broncos had traded John Elway to the Steelers for Kordell Stewart. Later that evening I saw on the news that it was just an April Fools joke. This definately ranks up there with that bigtime. IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU HAVE JUST SEEN, SOUND OFF WITH A LOUD AND THUNDEROUS A I R B O R N E ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

tony hipchest
04-01-2006, 04:24 PM
the bears essentially ruined k. stewarts career. that stupid qb draw play up the middle they always ran when everybody knew it was coming, did nothing for stewarts talents and it was the poorest substitution for a running game ever. i think. j. shoop was still the coordinator at the time. sure kordells legacy is forever grounded in suckdom. teams like the beard definitely didnt help the matter.

melroseplace
04-01-2006, 04:45 PM
haha after I let out a big "ARE YOU SERIOUS??" I realized it had to be an April Fool's :blurp: good one

BlitzburghRockCity
04-01-2006, 05:31 PM
You knew somebody was gonna pull this stunt :toofunny: :toofunny:

DIESELMAN
04-01-2006, 05:38 PM
Thanks that was hilarious now I gotta go clean up some hot coffee I spilled....

Suitanim
04-02-2006, 01:54 PM
I wasn't here on 4/1, so, this just about gave me a heart attack!

SteelerzGirl
04-02-2006, 08:22 PM
Not funny! Okay, it was funny, but still about gave me a heart attack.

pitt
04-03-2006, 12:57 AM
Dirty trick

MasterOfPuppets
04-03-2006, 01:12 AM
this one ranks right up there with telling someone thier kid was just killed in an accident,then saying i was just joking......:thmbdown:

SteelShooter
04-03-2006, 02:56 AM
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuude!

:rofl:
I was in the air for almost all of 01APR!!!!
I'm reading this on 02APR..........you got me!!! :banging: You really GOT ME!

BigDude66687
04-03-2006, 03:07 AM
Evil, dont mess with us like that, I"m like o no here we go again, entirely oblivous to the fact it was april's fools day :/

clevestinks
04-03-2006, 09:51 AM
I played a April Fools joke with Ty Law last year, so when i seen this, I wouldnt open it for a few days

83-Steelers-43
04-03-2006, 10:15 AM
:toofunny:

That was good.

JoeyPorter#55
04-03-2006, 10:46 AM
Ha! Ha! Ha! That was mother:busted: :busted: :busted: :busted: in' funny!"

steelerdude
04-05-2006, 12:20 PM
I fell hard for this one. I sure hope it doesn't ever come true.

klick81
04-05-2006, 09:39 PM
Damn...after I posted that thread about us loosing Ike, I should be the last person to have fallen for this.