PDA

View Full Version : Harrison fined AGAIN -25K- 11/30 official discussion thread

TRH
11-30-2010, 02:43 PM
I'm so angry right now i have blood shooting out of my eyes, i think i'm going to have a stroke too.
They're ruining football right before our very eyes, its happening, and it feels as if we can't do a damn thing about it.
I guess when you run a nice, hard, aggressive football play its the exact same thing as 2 players taking off their helmets, street-fighting, and embarrassing the league to be shown on every TV channel in the country.
Well, thats what the league is setting as a precedent.

collinsz
11-30-2010, 02:57 PM
Unbelievable, The same fine as Andre Johnson and Cortland Finnegan!!!!!!

TRH
11-30-2010, 02:57 PM
unreal.

SH-Rock
11-30-2010, 02:58 PM
This is complete BS

Deserei90
11-30-2010, 03:08 PM
So you mean to tell me, You get fined 25k for tackling, The same amount you get fined for Punching someone in the face and for fighting on the field? Sorry for my language, but Roger Goodell can eat Sh*t!!! Before you know it, Harrison is going to end up homeless:banging: I'm starting to believe this conspiracy theory, because the things that have been happening seems to be going backwards. The Steelers get flagged like 14 times in the Oakland game, Ben gets sucker-punched in the jaw. The guy who did it should have been suspended. Harrison gets fined yet again for tackling the QB. And the A-Holes believe it was another Helmet-Helmet hit. You know this all goes back to The Saints game when Hines Ward was hit by both players with there helmets in the endzone, but somehow Ward gets flagged instead. Sorry for complaining, but I don't give a crap anymore. Something needs to be done about this!!! ASAP!!

Fire Arians
11-30-2010, 03:22 PM
wow maybe james should have ripped off his hemlet and punched him out too

TRH
11-30-2010, 03:26 PM
I actually already had a thread open about this before this one started.

But no big deal...i'll just move my original thread post here :

I'm so angry right now i have blood shooting out of my eyes, i think i'm going to have a stroke too.
They're ruining football right before our very eyes, its happening, and it feels as if we can't do a damn thing about it.
I guess when you run a nice, hard, aggressive football play its the exact same thing as 2 players taking off their helmets, street-fighting, and embarrassing the league to be shown on every TV channel in the country.
Well, thats what the league is setting as a precedent.

realdeal
11-30-2010, 03:27 PM
I better not see that "corky" looking Roger Goodell anytime soon!!

Stu Pidasso
11-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Don't forget:

Ochostinko got fined $25,000 for tweeting.

Dunta Robinson got fined $25,000 for writing on his shoe.

Randy Moss $25,000 for not talking to the media.

Broncos $25,000 for sending their injury report too late.

ALL OF IT is pure horse poodoo.

Steel_Bus_24
11-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Theres only one thing left to do........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMCaHxZuf94

:helmet:..........::tt03:

Stu Pidasso
11-30-2010, 03:30 PM
Oh, I almost forgot:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pay-James-Harrisons-Bogus-Fine/134796989903782

lionslicer
11-30-2010, 03:35 PM
Cortland Finnegan tells people he wants to be the dirtiest player in the game, then starts a fight with Johnson and rips his helmet off, and he only gets a 25k fine. I don't want to turn into someone who says the league is out to get their team, but it becomes more and more clear every week who the league likes and dislikes.

ZoneBlitzer
11-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Well...what can you say? I mean really...Goodell and by extension the league itself, is anti-Steeler and anti-Harrison.

It's no conspiracy any longer. There's something going on behind closed doors. I wonder where the player union is on this? Where is Steelers ownership? They should be backing their player publicly. They should offer to pay the fine at a press conference and also air the grievances over the ridiculous double-standards set by they witch-hunting Goodell.

First Seymour, gets comparatively nothing and now this. What makes it worse is how the league's own network minimizes the severity of the fighting by allowing their commentators Deion et al laugh it off as if it were nothing.

You can say what you want about the hits but at least they were between the whistles.

Deserei90
11-30-2010, 03:46 PM
What goes around, Comes Around. Roger Goodell better remember that when you do people dirty like that, that Sh*t comes back to haunt you.

steelers2685
11-30-2010, 03:50 PM
I think it's about time Coach stands up for his player and calls Goodell out. Something needs done here, and it's about time someone else tries to help James get pulled out from under the bus that Goodell keeps throwing him under.

tony hipchest
11-30-2010, 04:03 PM
im certain every single steelerfan is going to have outrage over this fine but i am going to try and keep individual ourage and multiple threads contained within this collective thread to shout and vent.

:shout: outrage!!!!

Hayeksheroes
11-30-2010, 04:06 PM
Harrison has done something most footballers don't do, pay to play. Over the past month, James Harrison has paid more to play the game of professional football than football pays him. Harrison is now paying for what he used to get paid for.

Harrison has been fined 100,000 for hitting and tackling players. This is part of the official rules of the game. Harrison is fulfilling his obligations under his contract. But the NFL due to light ticket sales or some sort of Ralph Nader crusade is preventing Harrison from doing his job.

So, now, if Harrison would like to play professional football he will have to pay each week.

fer522
11-30-2010, 04:10 PM
nothing would make me happier than for us to win number 7 this year (even if we were to lose all the games next year) and may be just may be goodell would get a ****ing heart attack and resign as the commissioner
but this shit has to stop im sick and tired of seeing a man get penalized for doing his job i think now should be the time for our coach to say something, let that fool know that you dont agree with his bullshit:mad::banging::mad::banging::mad:

Set-Man
11-30-2010, 04:11 PM
Yes that is what gets me, is the total BS way of assessing fines. You can clock a starting q-back, tear off another players helmet and kick the crap out of him, or you could hit a "defensiveless" QB in the chest during a play all for $25K. I know what I would do if given those three options.

Time for Flag football. Maybe that would be too rough because someone may get a rugburn when the flag was pulled too hard. Lets do two hand touch, but not too hard please... I have lost all respect for Goodell, not for what he is doing but how he is doing it.

SteelCurtain5643
11-30-2010, 04:11 PM
This is such BS. How are you going to stop if your running full bore at someone and they throw the ball 1/4 of a second before you get there. Goodell is a clown and hes ruining football, especially seeing as hes got some kind of vendetta against the steelers

cloppbeast
11-30-2010, 04:16 PM
Brett Favre

Curtain_of_Steel
11-30-2010, 04:19 PM
Well now that this is labeled the official offical thread I can post, lol.

So a helmet to the chest is now no good? And whats worse is hitting a QB in a defenseless position? What the fine at least proved was, the referree was wrong! It was not a helmet shot.

So riddle me this! When is a QB in a non-defenseless position? How should one tackle a QB? Because apparently you can no longer hit them hard.

Also, why did the NFL not fine Harrison last week for the bs call on brees? They didnt even comment on the hit.
Either way both calls should've been stated they were wrongly listed or should not have been called at all.

BTW where is Favre suspension? Are they gonna wait till week 17 to suspend him?

Bubbabanjo
11-30-2010, 04:24 PM
I think its cause the Rooneys supported Obama so much. I think Goodell and some others have it out for the Steelers after that.

Wild conspiracy theory...but what the heck...its the Internets!!!!

Bubbabanjo
11-30-2010, 04:26 PM
Ben got absolutely mugged on one of the plays. 2 Bills rolled him up and jammed him on the turf. Was there any fine for this? Its getting absolutely Re-frekin-dickalus. Goodell is an azzhole.

Curtain_of_Steel
11-30-2010, 04:27 PM
Good point bubba. But a reach. However it would be good to understand how the fines are figured in, based on the fights, the BB hit that was so late, than the harrison fine, which is a helmet to chest in a qb in a defenseless position, lol Its like they make this crap up as they go.

Im not sure when you say the "steelers" supported it was everyone there who supported the annointed one, who would be there in 2 years. There will be yet another job vacancy in Ireland, lol

Curtain_of_Steel
11-30-2010, 04:28 PM
My wife pays for the privledge of living with me, lol. She knows how he feels, and she is none to happy either, lol

Atlanta Dan
11-30-2010, 04:33 PM
Goodell and Ray Anderson presumably do not have any of their employees read this board - but i am pretty confident they read The New York Times, which has run these stories in the last month

Ex-Player Is Suing Over Pay for Injury
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/30/sports/football/30helmets.html?ref=sports

Big Hits, No Flags
Promising to consider change is far easier than enacting it, but the N.F.L. has recently established momentum toward limiting shots to the head, which for years have been enforced with the vigilance of jaywalking laws.

In 2009, teams returning kickoffs could no longer form a wedge of more than two blockers, and protection for defenseless receivers was expanded from helmet-to-helmet hits to those delivered to the head or neck area by the defender’s helmet, forearm or shoulder. This season, receivers who have just made a catch — rather than only attempting to make one — are protected.

That change outlawed hits like the shockingly violent one delivered by the Pittsburgh Steelers’ Ryan Clark against the Baltimore Ravens’ Willis McGahee in the A.F.C. championship game two years ago, when Clark’s full-speed, helmet-to-helmet launch — which left McGahee unconscious and Clark all but — was perfectly legal because it came a split-second after McGahee caught the ball and stepped forward.

Clark acknowledged, “I probably could have stopped and waited and tried to tackle him, but it’s sad to say I think I closed my eyes and I was praying that I’d wake up when I hit the ground.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/24/sports/football/24helmets.html?ref=alan_schwarz

Note another Steeler is showcased in that story above

And there's more

Professor Tracks Injuries With Aim of Prevention
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/08/sports/08injuries.html?ref=alan_schwarz

Safer Football, Taught From Inside the Helmet
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/06/sports/ncaafootball/06helmets.html?ref=alan_schwarz

As Injuries Rise, Scant Oversight of Helmet Safety
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/21/sports/football/21helmets.html?ref=alan_schwarz

The NYT sets the table for what get covered in the media and for whatever reason has decided football is as reprehensible a sport as boxing or dog fighting

And there is the Toyota ad which is running during NFL broadcasts where the mother says she is more comfortable with her son playing football now that Toyota can measure head traumas so effectively:noidea:

8k76yeretJQ

IMO Goodell is ruining the game, but has decided to go all out with this PR counterattack, in which James Harrison has become the official symbol. The problem is that the NFL is a violent world and that you cannot take the violence out of the game and still call it pro football.

Pentheon
11-30-2010, 04:49 PM
This is unreal man...you have a big ass helmet on your head, he may have lead a little head first but it wasn't that serious.

WOW :banging::banging:

BULLSHIT

Hayeksheroes
11-30-2010, 04:51 PM
My wife pays for the privledge of living with me, lol. She knows how he feels, and she is none to happy either, lol

Could you please Elaborate?

Pentheon
11-30-2010, 04:52 PM
Could you please Elaborate?

Think he might mean its a pain in the ass :wink02:

TRH
11-30-2010, 04:58 PM
I think it's about time Coach stands up for his player and calls Goodell out. Something needs done here, and it's about time someone else tries to help James get pulled out from under the bus that Goodell keeps throwing him under.

Oh, i'd love for him to do that, that would be great. Only problem is that the league will sock him with a HUGE fine if he speaks up.
My guess is at this point, we're all waiting for Mr Rooney to say step up and say something......or address the league officially behind close doors and i mean seriously address this....
Rooney can't sit there much longer and witness the continuation of all this. Its so obvious, media outlets all over the place in other cities have even taken notice.

Pentheon
11-30-2010, 05:03 PM
Its cool when you got 2 guys teaming up on ben while hes on the ground gettin his leg bent around. Talk about really protecting the QB.

He gets the same amount even as 2 people fist fighting in the league...

Whats goodell thinkin?

plenewken
11-30-2010, 05:06 PM
Harrison has done something most footballers don't do, pay to play. Over the past month, James Harrison has paid more to play the game of professional football than football pays him. Harrison is now paying for what he used to get paid for.

Harrison has been fined 100,000 for hitting and tackling players. This is part of the official rules of the game. Harrison is fulfilling his obligations under his contract. But the NFL due to light ticket sales or some sort of Ralph Nader crusade is preventing Harrison from doing his job.

So, now, if Harrison would like to play professional football he will have to pay each week.

Don't worry. Harrison's impact on the Steelers' cap this year is $6,355,000. That's $400,000 per game so $100,000 represents 1 quarter. It's unacceptable to sanction him for the way he plays, but he's not going to file for bankruptcy because of the fines. Just kidding
And I'd like to hear the Rooneys say something about the way the League looks at Harrison. He's not a dirty player, unlike this punk @ss Finnegan.

tony hipchest
11-30-2010, 05:13 PM
please everyone, lets keep all discussions and opinions of this single topic contained here.

tomorrow every local fishwrap is gonna have multiple stories on the subject as well, and all those need to be posted here as well.

whether its peter king, ed bouchette, mark madden, or my momma.

after all we have a big game vs the ravesn that deserves some board time as well.

:cheers:

Atlanta Dan
11-30-2010, 06:06 PM
This from PFT

With James Harrison attacking Joe Flacco from his blind side, Flacco should change his number from 5 to $100,000.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/30/week-12-power-rankings/

BigRick
11-30-2010, 06:24 PM
This is complete BS

I totaly agree. The Rooneys need to stand up for Harrison and the rest of the team.Also asswipe Goodell needs to go. Maybe next time Harrison goes to his office he should punch him right in his c--ksucker. Should only cost an extra 25. :banging:

toughsticks87
11-30-2010, 06:25 PM
*speechless*

saveus1011
11-30-2010, 06:29 PM
Karma's gonna hit that idiot Goodell in Feb. , sometime in Dallas.

BigRick
11-30-2010, 06:36 PM
Karma's gonna hit that idiot Goodell in Feb. , sometime in Dallas.

My son is a police officer in Dallas. Some of his friends and fellow officers are Steelers fans. I think I'll put a bug in ear to tell his buddies to look the other way if anything happens to Goodell. :rofl:

saveus1011
11-30-2010, 06:37 PM
Haha, I was referring to him handing us the Lombardi.

But in fairness, Goodell is making Gary Bettman look good.

jjpro11
11-30-2010, 06:37 PM
Harrison should just carry his checkbook in his sock while he's on the field.. then every time he hits a QB, he can take out his checkbook, write a check, and throw it on the QB laying on the ground.

Whodis
11-30-2010, 06:42 PM
I agree with the posters that say the coach has to speak up. Stick up for your players! I might be going out on a limb, but Bill Cowher would have been going crazy this season. He would have been spitting up a storm during these games. I guess NBC will have to get the "James Harrison - Dirty Player Highlight Reel" from CBS.

What Horse$Hit

toughsticks87
11-30-2010, 06:43 PM
I agree with the posters that say the coach has to speak up. Stick up for your players! I might be going out on a limb, but Bill Cowher would have been going crazy this season. He would have been spitting up a storm during these games. I guess NBC will have to get the "James Harrison - Dirty Player Highlight Reel" from CBS.

What Horse$Hit

That couldn't have been said any better.

tony hipchest
11-30-2010, 07:07 PM
everyone who thinks tomlin should start hocking loogies all over the place and that the steelers are ignoring the situation, just chill.

the boss is on it-

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2010/11/30/ed-bouchette-on-james-harrison-fines-i-know-dan-rooney-is-hot-about-all-this/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Ed Bouchette On James Harrison Fines: “I Know Dan (Rooney) Is Hot About All This”
November 30, 2010 6:33 PM
Reporting Joe Starkey

Ed Bouchette joined the Seibel and Starkey show on Sportsradio 93-7 The FAN with Joe Starkey and Ken Laird filling in for John Seibel today to discuss James Harrison’s’ most recent $25,000 fine, this time coming for his hit on Bill Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Ed said he talked with Harrison’s’ agent yesterday before the fine came down, and James’ agent said he hoped James would not get fined because it will probably push him over the edge.

According to Ed, the Rooney’s relationship with Roger Goodell is still pretty good, but it must be strained after Art Rooney spoke out against the $75,000 fine the league hit James Harrison with.

To even further complicate things, Ed said that Dan Rooney is “hot about all this” and he is sure that Rooney has called him any number of times to address all these fines.

we must remember everything doesnt happen on the fans timetable.

tony hipchest
11-30-2010, 07:14 PM
for those who missed tomlin on sirius today, its not like "mums the word" with him. he's pretty pissed off about the situation, but is biting his tongue-

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/mike-tomlin-defends-steelers-linebacker-james-harrison-fines-nfl-113010

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported that Harrison was fined another $25,000 Tuesday for a helmet-leading strike on Buffalo quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick in last Sunday’s 19-16 overtime win over the Bills. That raises Harrison’s 2010 fine total to $125,000 for four hit-related infractions.

Harrison’s punishment wasn’t reported before Tomlin’s weekly Tuesday appearance on Sirius NFL Radio. Tomlin, though, told me and co-host Rich Gannon that he believes the magnitude of the previous $100,000 in fines levied on Harrison isn’t being publicly appreciated. This is because of the perception that $100,000 isn’t a major sum for a player like Harrison, who is earning $3.55 million this season.

“We talk about the money like it’s Monopoly money sometimes just because these guys happen to be professional athletes,” Tomlin said. “($100,000) is ($100,000), I don’t care how much money you make. I take offense at times just in general how all of us talk about the money. ... He’s got two kids. That’s some serious college schooling right there potentially for those kids 16, 18 years from now.”

Tomlin also said the NFL fines have drawn attention away from what he described as Harrison’s NFL Defensive MVP-caliber season. Harrison has already notched his third consecutive campaign with double-digit sacks as well as two interceptions and six forced fumbles with five games remaining in the regular season.

GREATEST NFL MOMENTS
What's the most iconic play in history? Cast your vote now.“He’s been a catalyst when we’ve needed him at just about every turn,” said Tomlin, whose team fields the NFL’s fifth-ranked defense. “He’s playing really good football.

“In regards to the penalties and fines, there’s no question it’s been troubling for him on a number of fronts. This is a very disciplined and regimented guy. He doesn’t like the perception of being a dirty player. He’s not by any stretch. He’s a football purist. But also, he’s concerned about hurting our team."

Harrison was previously fined for helmet hits on Cleveland wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi ($75,000) and New Orleans quarterback Drew Brees ($20,000) as well as a $5,000 roughing penalty on Tennessee quarterback Vince Young. Harrison received notification Monday that his appeal of those fines was rejected, the Post-Gazette reported.

“He’s trying to play within the rules,” Tomlin said. “There’s just a lot of things that happen fast on an NFL field. Sometimes things get interpreted differently.

“We’re going to do the very best we can to try and play within the rules, play hard and play fair. That’s all we can control. We’re not going to get too out of whack when it comes to dealing with these things as long as I’m seeing guys doing everything within their power to play within the rules.”

One-third of Pittsburgh’s 72 penalties have come within the past two weeks. While 14 of those 24 infractions were committed on offense, there is a sentiment among Steelers defenders that they are being targeted by NFL officials under pressure from the league offense to better protect offensive players.

theplatypus
11-30-2010, 07:24 PM
You want to hurt the NFL stop watching, end of story. THere's no way on earth people would rally together and actually stop watching, but it would send a message.

saveus1011
11-30-2010, 07:37 PM
There's been times this season I've thought about stopping. Which is saying something, considering I break my ass to not miss games.

casteeler
11-30-2010, 07:39 PM
Even if Rooney&Tomlin have a calm conversation with Goodell things WILL NOT change. Goodell has made up his mind about Harrison and the Steelers.

theplatypus
11-30-2010, 07:53 PM
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fire-Roger-Goodell/104565816280777?v=wall

SteelCityRules
11-30-2010, 08:23 PM
we must remember everything doesnt happen on the fans timetable.

But it would be nice if it did. lol

bobby jr
11-30-2010, 08:38 PM
Tomlin should sit Harrison down and tell him to stop with the helmet and other marginal hits. By not doing this he could be seen to be indirectly condoning this type of play. I would not want to see a Raven player fined week in and week out for these hits, reflects badly upon the team.

saveus1011
11-30-2010, 08:42 PM
Wait til Flacco gets pummeled by a Harrison hit.

ETL
11-30-2010, 08:49 PM
Can someone tell me exactly which rule did James Harrison break?

Is it leading with the head? So if that's true, then I should never see any football player impact an opposing player with the head first, right? If I do, I should expect to see a flag and a fine, right?

Or does this rule only apply to QB?

Any help would be appreciated

tony hipchest
11-30-2010, 09:02 PM
Can someone tell me exactly which rule did James Harrison break?

Is it leading with the head? So if that's true, then I should never see any football player impact an opposing player with the head first, right? If I do, I should expect to see a flag and a fine, right?

Or does this rule only apply to QB?

Any help would be appreciated

technically the "rule" only applies to wr's and qb's but is only applied against steelers.

ETL
11-30-2010, 09:07 PM
The NFL confirmed the fine in an email to the Post-Gazette this afternoon:

"James Harrison was fined $25,000 for roughing the passer, specifically he made helmet contact to the chest of the Buffalo quarterback, who was in a defenseless position at the time the contact was made."

Just read this. This is bullshit. "head" and "chest" are specific terms but that is not why he was fined. It was because of the word "defenseless" which is subjective. And the NFL can apply this whenever they feel like it. Meaning if Randall Gay did the same thing, because he doesn't hit as hard, it wouldn't look as "defenseless" as if Harrison did it.

Harrison was recently voted the hardest hitter in the NFL by his peers. His legal hits look like crushing blows. During the SB against Arizona, he almost decapitated a Cardinal RB by just sticking his arm out.

So, how does the NFL want a "defenseless" player to be tackled? Head to the ribs? Head to the knee? Shoulder blow to the knees? Maybe they can do two hand touch to the defenseless player but the problem with this is that the ref may not always agree with you that the player is defenseless and the player will continue running while Harrison is busy trying not to avoid a fine.

This is a witch hunt against Harrison who is the NFL's hardest hitter and being singled out as the sacrificial lamb for the NFL to try to save their necks from future player law suits. Total and absolute bullshit.

bobby jr
11-30-2010, 09:16 PM
Wait til Flacco gets pummeled by a Harrison hit.

If it's helmet then Harrison might be tossed or suspended, don't know if it would be worth taking that chance. The NFL probably won't just fine him next time. Face it this is a problem for the Steelers if Tomlin can't or won't stop this type of play then the Steelers are going to reap the consequences of the NFL new policies, their record will eventually suffer more than other teams.

tony hipchest
11-30-2010, 09:18 PM
t. suggs and r. lewis lack self control.

i predict they are the 1st two players to be suspended under new league guidelines after this sunday.

plus t. suggs and ed reed are hines ward's lil bitches.

ETL
11-30-2010, 09:21 PM
Any lawyers out there?

Do we have any grounds for submitting a class action lawsuit?

Specifically, because the NFL has changed rules in the middle of this year and applied the rule unevenly (specifically singling out the Steelers physical play) my enjoyment of this product has substantially decreased. If I was a season ticket holder, I would argue that the value of my puchase has significantly decreased.

I would submit arguments citing how similar plays by other teams have not been flagged or fined. I would argue that we are now getting a product that is different that what was originally marketed and cite how the NFL has conditioned us to enjoy the violence of this game highlighting it in their video games and short segment videos highlighting huge illegal hits.

Please come up with any arguments. The only language that the NFL talks is law suits.

bobby jr
11-30-2010, 09:22 PM
Tony, It's a new era. Past performances don't guarantee future results. The Ravens now own the Steelers.

Suggs is nobody's bitch. That man is an unstoppable force as a pass rush.

ETL the NFL should should have taken this action long ago. It's important to help prevent another Stingley type of injury. No team is being singled out except in accordance with the hits the players make and the Steelers and specifically Harrison are doing what other teams are not.

tony hipchest
11-30-2010, 09:26 PM
It's a new era. Past performances don't guarantee future results. The Ravens now own the Steelers.you are most certainly on psychotropics.

the steelers own the ravens just like carson palmer and the bungles own the ravens. :sofunny:

WHAP!!!

ETL
11-30-2010, 09:52 PM
ETL the NFL should should have taken this action long ago. It's important to help prevent another Stingley type of injury. No team is being singled out except in accordance with the hits the players make and the Steelers and specifically Harrison are doing what other teams are not.

Dude, How would you have wanted James Harrison to tackle Fitzpatrick? Tell me what Harrison should have done. Remember - this all this happened in less than a second and Fitzpatrick had the option of pump faking and not releasing the ball - meaning that he could have kept the ball longer and done something else with it.

ETL
11-30-2010, 09:55 PM
Tony, It's a new era. Past performances don't guarantee future results. The Ravens now own the Steelers.

Suggs is nobody's bitch. That man is an unstoppable force as a pass rush.

Why the F%&K am I wasting time with a Raven's troll. Bobby, the Steelers play football - its a man's game. If you want the Ravens to play the ***** game that you want then - they can pwn whatever they want.

ncsteeler
11-30-2010, 10:17 PM
I agree, but it is pure BS. Hear anything on the NFL using or testing these G force helmets???? NOT. Several colleges already use them, to fing bad they don't have a NFL keeps out anyone with out the official logo. I think UNC benches players based on G force readings from their helmet, now that is caring about safety.

Goodell and Ray Anderson presumably do not have any of their employees read this board - but i am pretty confident they read The New York Times, which has run these stories in the last month

Ex-Player Is Suing Over Pay for Injury
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/30/sports/football/30helmets.html?ref=sports

Big Hits, No Flags
Promising to consider change is far easier than enacting it, but the N.F.L. has recently established momentum toward limiting shots to the head, which for years have been enforced with the vigilance of jaywalking laws.

In 2009, teams returning kickoffs could no longer form a wedge of more than two blockers, and protection for defenseless receivers was expanded from helmet-to-helmet hits to those delivered to the head or neck area by the defender’s helmet, forearm or shoulder. This season, receivers who have just made a catch — rather than only attempting to make one — are protected.

That change outlawed hits like the shockingly violent one delivered by the Pittsburgh Steelers’ Ryan Clark against the Baltimore Ravens’ Willis McGahee in the A.F.C. championship game two years ago, when Clark’s full-speed, helmet-to-helmet launch — which left McGahee unconscious and Clark all but — was perfectly legal because it came a split-second after McGahee caught the ball and stepped forward.

Clark acknowledged, “I probably could have stopped and waited and tried to tackle him, but it’s sad to say I think I closed my eyes and I was praying that I’d wake up when I hit the ground.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/24/sports/football/24helmets.html?ref=alan_schwarz

Note another Steeler is showcased in that story above

And there's more

Professor Tracks Injuries With Aim of Prevention
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/08/sports/08injuries.html?ref=alan_schwarz

Safer Football, Taught From Inside the Helmet
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/06/sports/ncaafootball/06helmets.html?ref=alan_schwarz

As Injuries Rise, Scant Oversight of Helmet Safety
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/21/sports/football/21helmets.html?ref=alan_schwarz

The NYT sets the table for what get covered in the media and for whatever reason has decided football is as reprehensible a sport as boxing or dog fighting

And there is the Toyota ad which is running during NFL broadcasts where the mother says she is more comfortable with her son playing football now that Toyota can measure head traumas so effectively:noidea:

8k76yeretJQ

IMO Goodell is ruining the game, but has decided to go all out with this PR counterattack, in which James Harrison has become the official symbol. The problem is that the NFL is a violent world and that you cannot take the violence out of the game and still call it pro football.

Steeler4life1972
11-30-2010, 10:20 PM
you are most certainly on psychotropics.

the steelers own the ravens just like carson palmer and the bungles own the ravens. :sofunny:

WHAP!!!

Amen..tony...you tell em brother!!:tt04:

ncsteeler
11-30-2010, 10:28 PM
It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see the whole defense stand together somehow and make a statement. Maybe a 92 patch on the jersey.

tony hipchest
11-30-2010, 11:07 PM
It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see the whole defense stand together somehow and make a statement. Maybe a 92 patch on the jersey.

ryan clark has already announced via twitter that the steelers plan a protest-

RyanClark25

New break: Steeler D will protest this Sunday in the wake of #92 latest fine by hitting harder and more vicious. Since they fine either way!

4 hours ago

https://twitter.com/#!/RyanClark25

:tt03::tt04::tt::helmet::tt02:

saveus1011
11-30-2010, 11:48 PM
I think Goodell just done pissed off our D.

MattsMe
12-01-2010, 12:18 AM
im certain every single steelerfan is going to have outrage over this fine but i am going to try and keep individual ourage and multiple threads contained within this collective thread to shout and vent.

:shout: outrage!!!!

Best news I've heard all day.

MattsMe
12-01-2010, 12:21 AM
Harrison should just carry his checkbook in his sock while he's on the field.. then every time he hits a QB, he can take out his checkbook, write a check, and throw it on the QB laying on the ground.

:toofunny:

He would INSTANTLY become my all time favorite Steeler if he did that.

It would be worth (I think) him being suspended for a game just to see it.

SteelCityRules
12-01-2010, 12:35 AM
technically the "rule" only applies to wr's and qb's but is only applied against steelers.

Amen! Sorry, I know I'm ot'ing, but do any other receivers besides Ward get called for the hit/blocking? I've even heard it joked about as the 'Hines Ward Rule/Call/Flag' & I'm in Utah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FWIW, we have the Sunday Ticket out here to watch the Stillers (have to give a true name call out ;) ) & hubby I watch football all day on Sundays. Yes, we are 'those' people. lol Anyway, I cannot even express how many helmet to helmet calls go uncalled against EVERY other team. This year, I've been watching for it, since it really pi$$es me off. For ME, grow a set & let them hit. I guess 'we' feed on 'violence'. I love hockey. ;) Our son, 7, is pretty good at it, & really wants to play that & football. He's only old enough for flag, but, well, he has a habit of tackling. lol By the time he's in HS or college, they will probably be making the players shake their fingers at other players to 'tackle' them. Sorry, for ME, this is just out of control.

tony hipchest
12-01-2010, 12:36 AM
remember how much TO got fined for the sharpie and signing a ball.

imagine how much it would be know if harrison started autographing checks. :dang:

fred
12-01-2010, 01:37 AM
Okay...sooo, Johnson & Finnegan get fined the same amount for their all-out street brawl, which was shown over and over on sports channels......but word out there is that the NFL didn't want to suspend Johnson because it would "hurt" the interest for the Texans next game against the Eagles?! What kind of ?#@_ is that!? Add in .... "just" making Seymour pay a fine for decking Ben.....and really makes it look like double-standards do apply here when it comes to "illegal hits" by the Steelers D ...... mainly Harrison........the ppl
in charge really needs to set a better example........on being "fair"

MattsMe
12-01-2010, 02:06 AM

imagine how much it would be know if harrison started autographing checks. :dang:

I agree it would be professional, and probably financial suicide if he did this. But it would be so out of character and a well deserved F U to der commissioner.

I don't really want him to do it. What I really want can't be posted on a public forum. :chuckle:

chacha
12-01-2010, 07:41 AM
It's all BS Goodell has ruined this game. Harrison's hit was clean. Where the f%&* can you hit a QB now anyway? If it's Harrison, the answer is NO where!!!

kirklandrules
12-01-2010, 07:48 AM
I think the Commish should at least provide a flag worn by opposing QBs for James to pull. This would be a special "Harrison" flag that only James Harrison must pull to "sack" an opposing QB. This will be rolled out with the new bullzeye to be painted on Big Ben's jersey that has the words "Sucker Punch Only $25k" where his name used to appear.

Also, I think the Rooney's should give Harrison a bonus in the amount of his fines at the end of this year. This action will be in line with the Patriots who provided Belicheat with a $750k bonus after he was fined for spygate (the bonus being higher than the fine).

ZoneBlitzer
12-01-2010, 10:16 AM
What's going in Pittsburgh? What's the word on the street? I imagine the airwaves have been lighting up. Has the club come out and said anything to the local media?

TRH
12-01-2010, 10:59 AM
What's going in Pittsburgh? What's the word on the street? I imagine the airwaves have been lighting up. Has the club come out and said anything to the local media?

They've been pretty quiet aside from a couple of generic Tomlin comments. Anything said has been said behind closed doors to the league.
Any fan at this point, although, has to wonder where Mr. Rooney's mind is at and what he thinks about all this....and what if any action he has taken behind the scenes. He most certainly can't be happy with all of this.

steelax04
12-01-2010, 11:40 AM

After a big sack or hit, I think he should just hold his hand out and air-sign it like he was signing a real one.

SteelCityMom
12-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Normally I hate Suggs...but it's nice to see players from other teams chime in about this. I'm not surprised at all that it's a hard hitting Ravens player that agrees that Harrison is basically getting the shaft.

Ravens' Suggs says Harrison has been 'red-flagged'
By Mark Kaboly, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, December 1, 2010
Last updated: 12:25 pm
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_711752.html

Terrell Suggs can’t bring himself to feel bad for anybody who plays for the Steelers, but the Pro Bowl linebacker for the Baltimore Ravens can’t help but feel that James Harrison is getting a raw deal from the NFL.

Suggs said during today’s conference call with the Pittsburgh media that there has been injustice with Harrison when it comes to being fined by the league.

“Your guy over there, 92, I think he is red-flagged,” Suggs said. “The referees are kind of looking for him. Even if he breathes on a quarterback wrong, he might get a flag.”

Harrison was fined for the fourth time this season yesterday when he was fined $25,000 for a hit put on Buffalo quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Harrison has been fined $125,000 so far this season.

“I think they are looking at him more closely than they are everybody else in the league,” Suggs said. “In the referee world, they kind of red-flagged him.”

Suggs also went on to say that quarterbacks like New England’s Tom Brady and Indianapolis’ Peyton Manning get preferential treatment over other quarterbacks in the league.

“The league has their favorites,” Suggs said. “One being in Indy and one being with that other team up north. Besides those two, everybody is fair game. Some quarterbacks are getting the calls right away. Some quarterbacks they don’t care.

"Like I always said, Carson Palmer got hit in his knee in 2005 but there was no rule made. Then Tom Brady got hit in his knee and all of a sudden there is a rule and possible suspensions, excessive fines — it’s just getting ridiculous.”