PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin comes to Harrisons defense!!!

Whodis
12-01-2010, 07:38 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/30/mike-tomlin-on-james-harrison-fines-hes-got-two-kids/

On the same day that Steelers linebacker James Harrison was fined another $25,000, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said he wants fans to think of Harrison’s children, and how they could be affected by how much money Harrison has lost in fines this year.

“I don’t care how much money you make. I take offense at times just in general how all of us talk about the money,” Tomlin told Alex Marvez and Rich Gannon on Sirius NFL Radio. “He’s got two kids. That’s some serious college schooling right there potentially for those kids 16, 18 years from now.”

Tomlin is going to have a hard time drumming up sympathy for Harrison on that front. Just with the money Harrison has made so far in his NFL career, he could have set aside enough to pay for both of his kids to get doctorates from Harvard and still have many millions of dollars left over. If the money Harrison has been fined this year is the difference between Harrison paying for his kids’ college education and his kids not being able to afford college, then Harrison has seriously mismanaged his money.

But Tomlin has been steadfast in his support of Harrison, who has now drawn $125,000 in fines this year.

“In regards to the penalties and fines, there’s no question it’s been troubling for him on a number of fronts,” Tomlin said. “This is a very disciplined and regimented guy. He doesn’t like the perception of being a dirty player. He’s not by any stretch.”

Whodis
12-01-2010, 07:40 AM
I wish he would say nothing at all instead of saying something so damn stupid. How can anyone stick up for a guy that has a coach this ignorant?

BGSU A Dub
12-01-2010, 07:42 AM
I think this was Tomlin's sly way of saying "Goodell, you are a moron. Let us play football."

ZoneBlitzer
12-01-2010, 11:20 AM
I wish he would say nothing at all instead of saying something so damn stupid. How can anyone stick up for a guy that has a coach this ignorant?

Ya, um like a lot of people are out of work right now...um, his kids are going to be just fine. That's a pretty dumb thing to bring up. Talk about the wealthy class being completely out of touch with reality.

SteelCityMom
12-01-2010, 11:32 AM
It's probably worth mentioning that PFT likes to skew quotes. Is it something you or I should be worried about? No, not at all...and I'm sure Tomlin knows that. He's just listing it as the one (of many) reasons why Harrison would be upset about it. From what I understand, Harrison comes from a very large, poor family. I'm sure with the mindset he has, losing over 100k isn't peanuts to him.

Here's the entire quote from the article PFT linked.

“We talk about the money like it’s Monopoly money sometimes just because these guys happen to be professional athletes,” Tomlin said. “($100,000) is ($100,000), I don’t care how much money you make. I take offense at times just in general how all of us talk about the money. ... He’s got two kids. That’s some serious college schooling right there potentially for those kids 16, 18 years from now.”

“He’s been a catalyst when we’ve needed him at just about every turn,” said Tomlin, whose team fields the NFL’s fifth-ranked defense. “He’s playing really good football.

“In regards to the penalties and fines, there’s no question it’s been troubling for him on a number of fronts. This is a very disciplined and regimented guy. He doesn’t like the perception of being a dirty player. He’s not by any stretch. He’s a football purist. But also, he’s concerned about hurting our team."

“He’s trying to play within the rules,” Tomlin said. “There’s just a lot of things that happen fast on an NFL field. Sometimes things get interpreted differently.

“We’re going to do the very best we can to try and play within the rules, play hard and play fair. That’s all we can control. We’re not going to get too out of whack when it comes to dealing with these things as long as I’m seeing guys doing everything within their power to play within the rules.”

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/mike-tomlin-defends-steelers-linebacker-james-harrison-fines-nfl-113010

Put it this way. We don't know where his money goes. He could be blowing it all on useless crap and then certainly nobody would or should feel sympathetic. Or he could be using a good portion of it to help out family and friends and/or his community as well as putting money away for the (now) two children he has. Some of it could be tied up in other stuff as well. Who knows.

I agree with Tomlin's quote though. 100k is a 100k and sometimes when you look at someone who makes a lot of money, you don't think about where it potentially goes. You just have a vision in your head of someone sitting on a mountain of (monopoly) money. I'm not the least bit concerned for his childrens financial future...I just understand where he's coming from with this statement.

MDSteel15
12-01-2010, 11:39 AM
It's probably worth mentioning that PFT likes to skew quotes. Is it something you or I should be worried about? No, not at all...and I'm sure Tomlin knows that. He's just listing it as the one (of many) reasons why Harrison would be upset about it. From what I understand, Harrison comes from a very large, poor family. I'm sure with the mindset he has, losing over 100k isn't peanuts to him.

Here's the entire quote from the article PFT linked.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/mike-tomlin-defends-steelers-linebacker-james-harrison-fines-nfl-113010

Put it this way. We don't know where his money goes. He could be blowing it all on useless crap and then certainly nobody would or should feel sympathetic. Or he could be using a good portion of it to help out family and friends and/or his community as well as putting money away for the (now) two children he has. Some of it could be tied up in other stuff as well. Who knows.

I agree with Tomlin's quote though. 100k is a 100k and sometimes when you look at someone who makes a lot of money, you don't think about where it potentially goes. You just have a vision in your head of someone sitting on a mountain of (monopoly) money. I'm not the least bit concerned for his childrens financial future...I just understand where he's coming from with this statement.

Good job MOM! :thumbsup:

TRH
12-01-2010, 11:53 AM
I think this was Tomlin's sly way of saying "Goodell, you are a moron. Let us play football."

Yeah, unfortunately its going to take a lot more than that. Goodell could care less if Tomlin says "just let us play football". He won't.
As for the "college" comment.....i think Tomlin misspoke on that one and yes, there's going to be very little support out there for that kind of comment.

Consider this : If someone out there works a job and makes 50K a year, it would take them twenty years to make one million dollars. James makes many, many times over that in just one year, let alone subsequent years and the life of his contracts.
I'm usually on Tomlin's side but that was just a dumb thing to say, pure and simple. As a Harrison fan, i myself even find zero sympathy in an analogy like that. Wish Mike would have worded that differently.

TailgateMel
12-01-2010, 11:54 AM
*I don't think he should have been fined*

That is my disclaimer.. that being said.

I read someplace that the fines go to charity.....

If that is true... Does the player that gets fined get to claim that fine as a charitable donation on their taxes? If so, top tax bracket for 2010 is 35%.. so... at least that is a silver lining.

I am speaking pretty much just in regard to Tomlins thing about hitting him hard financially..

Whodis
12-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Maybe I don't see the cleverness in all of this. If your not going to stick up for your players especially when they are in the right. Don't say anything at all!

The NFL has already said it was a hit to the chest, it's quoted. We have a dog in the fight, but I thought #7 getting worked over after the play was a little more "endangering" then Harrison's hit.

austinfrench76
12-01-2010, 05:53 PM
HUH? Tomlin went the money route??? Not smart, especially considering that he has a great case to make here. With this economy, old James aint gonna gather much sympathy this way. He is being red-flagged and everyone knows it. Go that route Mike T!!!!

ricardisimo
12-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Maybe I don't see the cleverness in all of this. If your not going to stick up for your players especially when they are in the right. Don't say anything at all!

The NFL has already said it was a hit to the chest, it's quoted. We have a dog in the fight, but I thought #7 getting worked over after the play was a little more "endangering" then Harrison's hit.
It's been made pretty clear that everyone is to watch what they say and keep their thoughts to themselves. Tomlin could indeed say that Harrison is being unjustly targeted, and that the fines against him are bogus... at which point Tomlin himself could expect a hefty fine from our Lord and Master Goodell. It's not for me or you to say that Tomlin should take that hit.

urgle burgle
12-01-2010, 06:32 PM
good: tomlin consistently sticking up for his guy

bad: really bad analogy, especially in this day and age. a misspeak, no doubt. i understand the point he was trying to make, but not a way to go about getting sympathy for his position.

much adieu about nothing, we all say things we could have said much better, after the fact, especially when defending a position.

lionslicer
12-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Harrison mentioned having kids earlier this year when he was fined 75k. He said something about it effecting them in some way, that could be the reason Tomlin brought it up... Or he may have just had a Paris Hilton moment.

ricardisimo
12-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Harrison mentioned having kids earlier this year when he was fined 75k. He said something about it effecting them in some way, that could be the reason Tomlin brought it up... Or he may have just had a Paris Hilton moment.
Paris Hilton gave Tomlin a blow-job?

urgle burgle
12-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Paris Hilton gave Tomlin a blow-job?

and i thought i had that DVD,,,,,im off to the LIons' Den now.....see ya in a min...

Hayeksheroes
12-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Tomlin is leader of the team. His reply was tepid as best. Very corporate. Like voting present. He needs to send a message to the NFL and to his players that he sides with his players, that he has their back and that these egregious fines are unacceptable.

SteelCityMom
12-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Tomlin is leader of the team. His reply was tepid as best. Very corporate. Like voting present. He needs to send a message to the NFL and to his players that he sides with his players, that he has their back and that these egregious fines are unacceptable.

How do you know he hasn't? Are you there with them in the locker room? Do you have info on what's going on behind the scenes?

Just because he doesn't throw a hissy fit in public doesn't mean nothing is being done or said about it in private.

steelerchad
12-02-2010, 01:04 PM
good: tomlin consistently sticking up for his guy

bad: really bad analogy, especially in this day and age. a misspeak, no doubt. i understand the point he was trying to make, but not a way to go about getting sympathy for his position.

much adieu about nothing, we all say things we could have said much better, after the fact, especially when defending a position.

I was listening to this live on NFL sirius radio and I feel his comments have been taken out of context a little bit. Tomlin did not say that this would effect James Harrison's ability to afford to put his kids through college. What he said is because of the amount of money athletes make people tend to think so what, that this is just "monopoly money". $100,000 is real money. Enough to put his kids through college. He's trying to show that the money being fined is serious money and nobody, not even the wealthiest would just throw it away on purpose. Who cares if he makes millions. Don't you think he'd rather put this kids through college or buy his mom a nice new car instead of paying an NFL fine for a borderline hit at worst.

SteelCityMom
12-02-2010, 01:07 PM
I was listening to this live on NFL sirius radio and I feel his comments have been taken out of context a little bit. Tomlin did not say that this would effect James Harrison's ability to afford to put his kids through college. What he said is because of the amount of money athletes make people tend to think so what, that this is just "monopoly money". $100,000 is real money. Enough to put his kids through college. He's trying to show that the money being fined is serious money and nobody, not even the wealthiest would just throw it away on purpose. Who cares if he makes millions. Don't you think he'd rather put this kids through college or buy his mom a nice new car instead of paying an NFL fine for a borderline hit at worst.

Well put...that's what I was trying to allude to, but you worded it much better.

Whodis
12-02-2010, 01:10 PM
How do you know he hasn't? Are you there with them in the locker room? Do you have info on what's going on behind the scenes?

Just because he doesn't throw a hissy fit in public doesn't mean nothing is being done or said about it in private.

Mom- I don't know he has or am I in the locker room.

However, I know we have been getting flagged week after week for the same phantom fouls.

Is it safe to say whatever (if anything) Tomlin is doing, isn't working?

On a different note the Ward and Suggs comments will put the NFL officials on radar for what has been happening. Not what Tomlin has done or said

SteelCityMom
12-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Mom- I don't know he has or am I in the locker room.

However, I know we have been getting flagged week after week for the same phantom fouls.

Is it safe to say whatever (if anything) Tomlin is doing, isn't working?

On a different note the Ward and Suggs comments will put the NFL officials on radar for what has been happening. Not what Tomlin has done or said

Fair enough assessment I suppose.

I don't have a link for this, but it was being talked about on the radio yesterday and today. They've been discussing how Tomlin and the FO have made a compilation video of questionable calls and non-calls against the Steelers and have sent it into the league. There's also been talk of Dan "getting in touch" with Goodell.

It's not typical for the Steelers to air their laundry in public, so I'm not completely shocked that Tomlin hasn't gone off on a complete rant in front of the media. The fans might love that, but it's more typical for things to be taken care of behind the scenes. From what I've gathered, that's what's been going on.

I'm sure he's been very vocal to the players as well...but I imagine only to a certain point. They have a huge game to prepare for this week, and I'd rather them be ready for that then overly concerned about league conspiracies. That can be addressed more fervently in the offseason.

figg
12-02-2010, 02:31 PM
I think it's pretty obvious Tomlin say's one thing to reporter's and another to his players and the league. The players are feeding off this us against the world attitude that Tomlin's telling them as well. I think the Steelers are pretty lucky to have him as HC.

Whodis
12-02-2010, 02:44 PM
Fair enough assessment I suppose.

I don't have a link for this, but it was being talked about on the radio yesterday and today. They've been discussing how Tomlin and the FO have made a compilation video of questionable calls and non-calls against the Steelers and have sent it into the league. There's also been talk of Dan "getting in touch" with Goodell.

Didn't hear that, but it's good to know.

As much as some could hate them, Raven players coming to the defense of Harrison is not a good thing for League officials

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-02-2010, 04:12 PM
DO the math, folks. Don't be haters just because someone makes more than you. More moeny equalls more expenses.

You would think that $125k is peanuts when you are being paid a $57 million contract, but split it up over the length of his contract and do the numbers. $125k is still A LOT OF MONEY to have to pay in fines for doing what you were taught to do. That would be like you or I having to give up our next two paydays to pay a stupid fine that we didn't deserve in the first place.

Tomlin is absolutely correct.

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-02-2010, 04:16 PM
This whole thing makes my blood boil. I can see why Suggs even came out in Harrison's defense-- it was in behalf of all the defensive players in the league.

I never wanted to kick somebody's skull off their neck so bad as when I was watching the Ray Anderson responses to Ward and all the players that are starting to speak out. He is a fork-tongued politician, if I ever saw one, who talks out the side of his mouth like the best of them.

ricardisimo
12-02-2010, 04:41 PM
DO the math, folks. Don't be haters just because someone makes more than you. More moeny equalls more expenses.

You would think that $125k is peanuts when you are being paid a $57 million contract, but split it up over the length of his contract and do the numbers. $125k is still A LOT OF MONEY to have to pay in fines for doing what you were taught to do. That would be like you or I having to give up our next two paydays to pay a stupid fine that we didn't deserve in the first place.

Tomlin is absolutely correct.
It's rare that I run to the defense of millionaires, but here goes...

Unlike you and I, who are likely to earn more or less the same amount of money year-in and year-out for the duration of our working lives (let's call it forty years), these athletes have an average career of 3-1/2 years, and the super-studs maybe six-to-eight years. Break up his millions over the course of forty years, and he's probably making just a little bit more than, say, your average college professor.

Mind you, there's no rule that says he has to stop working once he retires, so his earnings can certainly continue. However, given how jacked up these guys wind up after football in their knees, backs and heads, I'd say the money is probably not enough. That $125,000 could have paid for some exotic lower back treatment in the Far East later in his retirement. [I would post a picture, but it would probably not last too long]

jjpro11
12-02-2010, 04:46 PM
i don't care how much money he makes.. stealing is stealing, and that is exactly what the NFL is doing to him.