PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward Rant

DoubleYoi
12-01-2010, 02:03 PM
Hines went on a rant today on the South Side. He'll definitely get some kind of fine but what he said is 100% correct and I applaud him for speaking his mind. Here are some of the talking poings he hit:

1) The NFL doesn't care about the safety of it's players. An 18-game season wouldn't be a consideration if they did. Good example is DeSean Jackson using a helmet brand other than a Riddell because it's safer but the NFL made him remove the label since Riddell pays them to use/promote their product.

2) The NFL is run by hypocrites. They frown upon gambling but there are betting lines. They frown upon drinking but their main sponsors are beer companies.

I apologize for not having the transcript but I couldn't find it online yet. Please post a link if you find it before I do. Hines is 100% correct in everything he said and I'd love to see more players speak their mind instead of delivering one-line cliches that fall within the mold of what the NFL wants them to say.

MattsMe
12-01-2010, 02:12 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_711761.html

steelerchad
12-01-2010, 02:20 PM
I get nervous when I see stuff like this. I agree with Hines, but if the NFL wants to get us they can and will. All it takes is a holding call on a 3rd and 3 during a big drive that turn it into a 3rd and 13 and eventual punt instead of points. If they do that once or twice a game it will hardly be noticed. It may not cost you every game if you can over come it, but it will cost you one sooner or later. They are out to get us right now, don't give them even more reason.

Atlanta Dan
12-01-2010, 02:40 PM
Hines - major sponsor now is Bud Light rather than the Silver Bullet:chuckle:

The hypocrisy on the betting is hysterical - Hank Goldberg gives his picks on ESPN at 10:45 on Sunday morning becuase gambling cannot be discussed on the pregame show starting at 11.

Everyone knows gambling drives the ratings - I recall a blowout Monday night game where Al Michaels said at some point after midniight during the 4th quarter "for those of you still watching good luck with your over/under bets." That of course was why I was still watching.:sofunny:

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-01-2010, 03:33 PM
I get so so so worried sometimes that the Steelers will miraculously find a way into the Super Bowl and then with the Black and Gold up late, the flags start flying.

truesteelerfan
12-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Everyone who's not a Steeler fan hates the Steelers! Other teams want to be like us, other fans wish their team was like us, the league wishes they could contain us and make us more to their liking...offense orientated...All we have to do is win 3 or 4 straight SB titles...The NFL would probably close down. Tell me I'm wrong Lord Goodell?

Steel_Bus_24
12-01-2010, 03:46 PM
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1214877/master-stone-is-pumped-o.gif

F***ing A man....F***ing A!!

austinfrench76
12-01-2010, 04:51 PM
I love that Hines said this because NOBODY ELSE REALLY is! Tomlin is taking some weird angle about the fine money and finally a Steeler is calling it what it is. I'm glad that some of the national media seem to be seeing it as well but c'mon man! These flags, not fines by the way, are ridiculous. Bottom line: guy makes enough money to pay the fines but the yards will cost us a game. Just my opinion.

Hines is completely right by the way. These players are commodities to the NFL, plain and simplea nd it is all about the money. The 18 game schedule and the fact that they can't wear the safest possible helmets prove it. They are only concerned with the lawsuits that NOT focusing on the issue now will certainly follow.

Atlanta Dan
12-01-2010, 05:44 PM
Lengthier article here from ESPN.com - some excerpts - Steelers definitely are in "us against the world" mode:thumbsup:

The league doesn't care about us anyway," said Ward, a 13-year veteran and the leading receiver in Steelers history. "They don't care about the safety of the game. If the league was so concerned about the safety, why are you adding two more games on? You talk about you don't want players to drink ... and all you see is beer commercials. You don't want us to gamble, but then there are [NFL-endorsed lottery scratch-off games]."...

"It almost seems like the more flags we throw, the more fines we dish out, we can say we're protecting the game," safety Ryan Clark said, reflecting his opinion of the league's stance. "Now, we can have 18 games because look how we're protecting [the players]."...

Ward also predicted a team will lose a game -- possibly in the playoffs -- because an official makes an incorrect call out of fear of being disciplined by the league for not adhering to its new policy.

"It's going to change the outcome; somebody's going to lose a game because of it," Ward said. "It's going to be a huge play in a playoff game, somebody's going to hit a quarterback or do something and the referee is going to be too scared to call it. So he's going to call it anyway so he can save his tail. [The player] may not even get fined or not, but it will come down to the outcome of a ballgame.

Ward's comments reflect the growing anger among the players on one of the NFL's showcase franchises. The Steelers are becoming increasingly upset over the near-weekly fines levied Harrison, a perceived lack of protection for quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and hits that are fined and penalized one week, but aren't subject to any penalty a week later....

Steelers linebacker James Farrior said the league has quickly become "the wild, wild west. We're on our own right now. There's no type of [predictable] regulation going on."

Farrior also said NFLPA chief DeMaurice Smith hasn't properly supported NFL players on the issue.

Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs took the unusual stance of agreeing with the rival Steelers during a conference call with Pittsburgh reporters.

"The league has their favorites," Suggs said Wednesday. "One being in Indy [Manning] and one being with that team up north . Besides those two, everybody is fair game. Like I always said, [the Bengals'] Carson Palmer got his knee hurt in 2005, but there was no rule made. Then Tom Brady got hit in the knee and all of a sudden there is rule and possible suspensions, excessive fines. It's just getting ridiculous."

[B]Roethlisberger, asked about Suggs' comments, said, "He seems to know some things about the game of football."]:chuckle:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5871501

Wow!

bobby jr
12-01-2010, 05:50 PM
He should be suspended. This rant shows disrespect for the league officials and is almost slanderous. One should show a certain amount of decorum and respect for their employer.

chacha
12-01-2010, 05:55 PM
^ yeah right junior

Hines should be commended not suspended!! :tt02:

lionslicer
12-01-2010, 06:04 PM
It's all about money. Fans should be able to vote who the commish should be and be able to vote him/her out when they want too. After all, fans pay everyone's salary, the deserve a say for pretty much investing in the NFL.

Steeler4life1972
12-01-2010, 06:10 PM
He should be suspended. This rant shows disrespect for the league officials and is almost slanderous. One should show a certain amount of decorum and respect for their employer.

You my friend are not a true steeler fan!!! Ive read several other posts from you and I think you need to tell us STEELERNATION that you are actually a patriots,ravens,colts fan etc....its obvious you are not a steelers fan!! Btw Hines just gave his opinion...nothing wrong with opinions i dont care if its in the workplace or not!!! He was asked and he told!!! I bow down to him for being so up front and honest because everybody else is too afraid to say anything!! The NFL will be on a downward spiral...you are seeing it take place!!! You just watch somebody will hurt brady and/or manning and possibly end there careers and I will just bet that player will be banned from the game!!! I hope this is a driving force for our team...just like somebody else said..."us against the world" mentality!!:tt04:

chacha
12-01-2010, 06:17 PM
He's a Ravens fan. A deluded Ravens fan

ricardisimo
12-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Ummm... he's not a Steelers fan at all, nor has he ever claimed to be. He's a visiting Ratbirder (albeit a rather well-behaved one).

It's a great rant. Kudos to him. The safety, beer and gambling bit is classic.

SteelCityMom
12-01-2010, 06:18 PM

Then they should suspend Suggs too. Fair is fair right?

“Your guy over there, 92, I think he is red-flagged,” Suggs said. “The referees are kind of looking for him. Even if he breathes on a quarterback wrong, he might get a flag.”

“I think they are looking at him more closely than they are everybody else in the league,” Suggs said. “In the referee world, they kind of red-flagged him.”

“The league has their favorites,” Suggs said. “One being in Indy and one being with that other team up north. Besides those two, everybody is fair game. Some quarterbacks are getting the calls right away. Some quarterbacks they don’t care.

"Like I always said, Carson Palmer got hit in his knee in 2005 but there was no rule made. Then Tom Brady got hit in his knee and all of a sudden there is a rule and possible suspensions, excessive fines — it’s just getting ridiculous.”

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_711752.html

Get a clue.

Steeler4life1972
12-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Oh I see...it figures...I did not know that....I got to get use to the fact that there are idiots that will come in here on our board when they should be on their teams board. I wish we could just boot all other fans of other teams nice or not but I guess we would be booting all day on here!! I dont understand why anybody would go on another team's board if your not a fan. Oh well this is the net and people do as they please!!

bobby jr
12-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Oh I see...it figures...I did not know that....I got to get use to the fact that there are idiots that will come in here on our board when they should be on their teams board. I wish we could just boot all other fans of other teams nice or not but I guess we would be booting all day on here!! I dont understand why anybody would go on another team's board if your not a fan. Oh well this is the net and people do as they please!!

Well some people think it interesting to hear the opposing fans views. Plus helps get psyched for the big game.

bobby jr
12-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Then they should suspend Suggs too. Fair is fair right?

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_711752.html

Get a clue.

Suggs should probably be fined for his remarks. Even though I think some of what he said is true (Brady and Peyton Manning getting special treatment) he should not have said it.

Steeler4life1972
12-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Well some people think it interesting to hear the opposing fans views. Plus helps get psyched for the big game.

Ok I see bobby...to each their own...no offence. It dont take me much to get psyched though.:tt02:

SteelCityMom
12-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Suggs should probably be fined for his remarks. Even though I think some of what he said is true (Brady and Peyton Manning getting special treatment) he should not have said it.

So Hines should be suspended for saying something against the league...but Suggs should only be fined.

Nope, no homer bias going on here at all. :sofunny:

rbryan
12-01-2010, 06:42 PM
I get nervous when I see stuff like this. I agree with Hines, but if the NFL wants to get us they can and will. All it takes is a holding call on a 3rd and 3 during a big drive that turn it into a 3rd and 13 and eventual punt instead of points. If they do that once or twice a game it will hardly be noticed. It may not cost you every game if you can over come it, but it will cost you one sooner or later. They are out to get us right now, don't give them even more reason.

I think that ship sailed. Have you watched the last two weeks? In a game where you could arguably call offensive holding on every play the Steelers have more Offensive holding calls in the last two games than the Patsies have all year.

Time for sittng by and saying nothing is over. This is ridiculous. Goodell and his cronies are blatantly controlling the outcome of NFL games thru the referees.

BigRick
12-01-2010, 07:07 PM

it's still a free country. He can express his opnion if want's to. While we're on the subject of free speech, feel free to take your bullshit somewhere else! :banging:

plenewken
12-01-2010, 08:08 PM

Who should be suspended? Ward? What about Suggs who pretty much says the same thing?

Steeler4life1972
12-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Who should be suspended? Ward? What about Suggs who pretty much says the same thing?

Just ignore him...crack kills!!!

Pentheon
12-01-2010, 11:08 PM
Ward said it perfect. Couldnt put it any better than he did

this league is bullshit now

BGSU A Dub
12-02-2010, 04:58 AM
I wish there was a way to boycott the NFL as an organization but still support the players. In watching other games around the league, there is no doubt in my mind that Harrison is a target and the Steelers are getting excessively flagged. The whole "defenseless reciever" thing is bogus, the 1 by 1 area you can hit a player is bogus, and the fact an offensive player can grab the defensive players facemask AND that the runner can use thier helmet is bogus.

Kudos to Hines for having the cojones to not only have his teammates back, but to say the things that players and fans have been thinking. Next up: Kanye?

Rick5895
12-02-2010, 06:53 AM
Like the song says...."clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, here I am (all of us steelers fans) stuck in the middle with you!!!!!

Whodis
12-02-2010, 07:31 AM
good for Hines

I wish the coach would say something relevant

HAWK
12-02-2010, 12:15 PM
At the beginning of the season with all the "hold-out" talk I was nervous and kinda mad. Now I think the players should strike. Also, the owners need to get involved. The Rooney's have already spoken out against the fines, etc. they need to start speaking out against everything. Or maybe yet, the biggest statement would be if the owners and the players formed a fund of some type to pay these fines. You've got about a billion dollars on the field with all the players and coaches. $125K spread out among everyone is chump change. I feel that would solidify the team and the Rooney's against the NFL in general. Something like: You want to fine my players for BS calls? Then it's going to cost all of us the equivalent of splitting a pizza for these guys.

Whodis
12-02-2010, 12:20 PM
. Or maybe yet, the biggest statement would be if the owners and the players formed a fund of some type to pay these fines. You've got about a billion dollars on the field with all the players and coaches. $125K spread out among everyone is chump change. I feel that would solidify the team and the Rooney's against the NFL in general. Something like: You want to fine my players for BS calls? Then it's going to cost all of us the equivalent of splitting a pizza for these guys.

It's not the money I'm concerned with. What about the 15 yards at a critical part of the game?

HAWK
12-02-2010, 12:39 PM
And I agree. But you have to start somewhere and make a statement.

steelcity1974
12-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Tomlin needs to get control of his guys. They should be focused on the next game, not the NFL front office. This is going to catch up with them on the field if they don't let it go and focus all their attention on their opponents. If Tomlin allows this to continue, I'd say we have a coaching issue.

DoubleYoi
12-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Tomlin needs to get control of his guys. They should be focused on the next game, not the NFL front office. This is going to catch up with them on the field if they don't let it go and focus all their attention on their opponents. If Tomlin allows this to continue, I'd say we have a coaching issue.

It's been an ongoing issue since Harrison's fine in the Titans game and the Steelers are 8-3. I'd say Tomlin has done a fairly good job of preparing his team in spite of the penalty/fine distraction. And why does it fall squarely on Tomlin? By your reasoning, wouldn't it also be an ownership issue for allowing the coach to let his team spiral out of control?

tanda10506
12-02-2010, 01:56 PM

Amazing that someone could actually think like you. I'm new but it's obvious your not a Steelers fan, but that's besides the point. There should not be some "god like" respect for the commisioner and referee's if they are maliciously wrong. The thought that someone should take money from Ward for talking is pure idiocy. I'm so tired of people (not here) with the mindset of "ya it's wrong, but don't act inappropriate because of it". The only place that get's you is into a game were every call is wrong because nobody ever said anything. I don't care wether it's Ward, Suggs, or the one I have the most: Tom Brady. If the ref's and the commisioner are maliciously against them then they need to say it how it is, and if that means telling Roger Goodell to shove it up his ass then so be it.

tanda10506
12-02-2010, 01:59 PM

I understand what you are saying, and eventually I think it will catch up with them to. The thing is, if they don't get the ref's off there backs then they can't win. The fines hurt the individual player but the penalties are what hurt the team. We were barely able to beat the Bills and the ref's, we can't beat the Ravens and the ref's or the Jet's and the ref's. It's a lose lose situation that hopefully gets solved quick.

steelerohio
12-02-2010, 09:15 PM
I thought it's settled that bobby jr. is not a Steelers fan, but that he is, in fact, a very deluded Purple browns fan?

steelcity1974
12-03-2010, 01:08 PM
It's been an ongoing issue since Harrison's fine in the Titans game and the Steelers are 8-3. I'd say Tomlin has done a fairly good job of preparing his team in spite of the penalty/fine distraction. And why does it fall squarely on Tomlin? By your reasoning, wouldn't it also be an ownership issue for allowing the coach to let his team spiral out of control?

It falls squarely on Tomlin because he is the head coach. He is the one that deals with the players on a daily basis. I have no problems with Rooney going to the NFL to discuss the issue in private, but Tomin should keep the players focused on playing football and not discussing fines NFL conspiracies in the media. Tomlin himself refuses to talk about it...which is a good thing. But it doesn't do the team any good if his players aren't as disciplined. And THAT falls directly on Tomlin...as the head coach...by my reasoning. :thumbsup:

steelcity1974
12-03-2010, 01:10 PM
I understand what you are saying, and eventually I think it will catch up with them to. The thing is, if they don't get the ref's off there backs then they can't win. The fines hurt the individual player but the penalties are what hurt the team. We were barely able to beat the Bills and the ref's, we can't beat the Ravens and the ref's or the Jet's and the ref's. It's a lose lose situation that hopefully gets solved quick.

Agree 100%, and it is a fact that they are up against the refs every week. But what they clearly don't realize is that talking about it over and over again in the media only makes it worse. If they would just shut the f up about it, eventually it will go away.

joeyssteelcurtain
12-03-2010, 02:59 PM

Ray Ray always has something to say after the ravens loose

TRH
12-05-2010, 03:28 PM

not even close, buddy boy. He speaks what most others are saying all over the place (now even opposing fans and players alike....).
The front office is already ruining the league....they're not going to start to control the players and think they're going to stand as inferior beings and mutes either.
Like another person has said, this is not a situation where Goodell is "god" and everyone better bow down on their knees and keep their mouths shut. What do you think this is???
We're not sitting here saying Suggs should be fined for what he said. I'm glad Hines and Suggs both spoke up and kudos for anyone else who does (and will) as well. Expect more comments from opposing players in support of this situation.