PDA

View Full Version : SI.com Projects Steelers To Miss Playoffs

Atlanta Dan
12-01-2010, 03:37 PM
Sports Illustrated's web site is getting an early start jumping off the Seelers bandwagon before the sky is falling posts we will see if the Steelers lose on Sunday night

This entry projects the Steelers to lose out on the last wild card spot to .......
the Chiefs:jawdrop:

PITTSBURGH STEELERS (8-3)

If The Playoffs Started Today: In; No. 6 seed
Remaining Schedule (Projected Results): at Baltimore (L); vs. Cincinnati (W); vs. N.Y. Jets (L); vs. Carolina (W); at Cleveland (L)
Final Projected Record, Playoff Seeding: 10-6; out
Extra Point: It's obviously only a hunch, but that finale against the Browns has upset written all over it. Before Steelers fans riot in anger, let's point out the good: should Pittsburgh beat Cleveland and finish 11-5, tying them with K.C., the Steelers would win the tiebreaker based on record against common opponents

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/dom_bonvissuto/12/01/nfl-playoff-projections-week-13/index.html

I would be shocked to see a Steelers loss to the Jets at home absent Roethisberger or Polamalu missing the game

Meanwhile Don Banks also has his doubts in this week's power rankings

The Steelers defense can be fearsome, and you can't discount a Ben Roethlisberger-led offense. But I'm starting to have my doubts about the team Peter King picked to go all the way. Pittsburgh has lost to Baltimore, New Orleans and New England, three legitimate Super Bowl contenders. Other than beating visiting Atlanta in overtime in the opener, who has Pittsburgh handled that makes you think they're Dallas-bound?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/12/01/nfl-power-rankings-week-13/index.html

That New England loss still lingers for the national media

Steel_Bus_24
12-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Good....they play better when people start counting them out

steelerchad
12-01-2010, 03:54 PM
So he's basically saying the Chiefs will lose to the Chargers in 2 weeks and win their other 4 games. I have my doubts about this. They will trip up against someone. Even if they don't I would be surprised if we lose this weekend and then only split our last 4, although it wouldn't shock me this year like it did last year.

SteelerEmpire
12-01-2010, 04:02 PM
Hopefully the team will hear about this prediction...

theplatypus
12-01-2010, 04:15 PM
It's really not that outlandish a claim when you think about it. We're 1-3 versus the best teams in the league(1 without Ben) and have struggled against a few lower to mid tier teams. If we don't beat the Ravens and Jets there's very good chance we're on the outside looking in again.

Fire Arians
12-01-2010, 04:17 PM
judging by how accurate SI.com's predictions are, I'm glad they're predicting we miss the playoffs :)

MDSteel15
12-01-2010, 04:17 PM
WE WILL NOT LOSE TO THE JETS!!!

saveus1011
12-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Dear media, thank you.

And just getting with my cinema references...the media also doubted Superman in SUPERMAN II. :P

lionslicer
12-01-2010, 04:44 PM
2-3 for the last 5 games is kind of harsh, I doubt it will happen, will more like 3-2, but an 11-5 record doesn't guarantee a playoff spot, especially with the way the playoffs are shaping up. Hopefully they can just go 5-0 the last 5 games lol.

ricardisimo
12-01-2010, 05:21 PM
I think 5-0 is a distinct possibility, as is 4-1, with the one loss coming against Cleveland, of all teams. It's not even so much that it's a trap game... it might just be meaningless for us, Super Bowl for them.

fer522
12-01-2010, 07:23 PM
WE WILL NOT LOSE TO THE JETS!!!
we will if goodell says so :mad:

steelerchad
12-01-2010, 07:39 PM
2-3 for the last 5 games is kind of harsh, I doubt it will happen, will more like 3-2, but an 11-5 record doesn't guarantee a playoff spot, especially with the way the playoffs are shaping up. Hopefully they can just go 5-0 the last 5 games lol.

Actually 11-5 would come very close to clinching a spot. When you look at the West and South. The chances of a wildcard team being 11-5 and having the tiebreaker edge on us would be slim to none.

plenewken
12-01-2010, 07:49 PM
It's really not that outlandish a claim when you think about it. We're 1-3 versus the best teams in the league(1 without Ben) and have struggled against a few lower to mid tier teams. If we don't beat the Ravens and Jets there's very good chance we're on the outside looking in again.

Not only we couldn't beat strong teams but we've struggled against average teams too, namely Miami and Buffalo. For the last 5 games, 3W and 2L is a realistic possibility. I'd be pleasantly surprised if we finish better than 11-5.

330steelerguy
12-01-2010, 08:25 PM
I've come to the conclusion that i really don't care what the media says or thinks about us.

stb_steeler
12-01-2010, 08:31 PM
What do they know, they been on and off the bandwagon all season.

lionslicer
12-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Actually 11-5 would come very close to clinching a spot. When you look at the West and South. The chances of a wildcard team being 11-5 and having the tiebreaker edge on us would be slim to none.

It will come down to whether we beat the Ravens or not. If the Steelers are 11-5 with 2 losses to the Ravens, and the Cheifs and Chargers are both 11-5, I'm not sure what the tie breakers are but there would be an 11-5 team not in the playoffs.

But thats just speculation, I doubt the Cheifs or Chargers will go 11-5.

rbryan
12-01-2010, 09:34 PM
SI??? Does anyone even pick that rag up anymore if theres not a half naked swim suit model on the cover.

SH-Rock
12-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Let's do this!

madtowndrunkard
12-01-2010, 10:19 PM
We will go 2-3 if we dont start playing better on offense. We were lucky to beat the Bills for Christ sake. We barely got over Miami. We got totally embarrassed by NE. NO spanked us. I have not seen any improvement from this team....which you would expect to see by now. This is Bens 9th week back. We destroyed the Raiders which is honestly the only game since Ben returned that we even looked good.

I'm not sure where the over confidence comes from. I guess because we have a good defense. I hope Ben finds his stride soon, becuase if he sits in the pocket for 10 seconds looking for WRs' against the Ravens and Jets he will be killed.

Fire Arians
12-01-2010, 10:28 PM
I think 5-0 is a distinct possibility, as is 4-1, with the one loss coming against Cleveland, of all teams. It's not even so much that it's a trap game... it might just be meaningless for us, Super Bowl for them.

true that. if we win vs baltimore and the jets, chances are the final game will be meaningless and we will rest starters

fred
12-01-2010, 10:57 PM
It's good when ppl pick "against" the Steelers.......they play better when they're the underdogs!
i.e. winning the Superbowl as a Wildcard team............

Steeler4life1972
12-01-2010, 11:10 PM
If things are not fixed quick we are in deep shit...Im a realist by nature and if things dont improve on both sides of the ball we are gonna be in trouble. Injuries are actually killing us!!!

Steeler4life1972
12-01-2010, 11:15 PM
We will go 2-3 if we dont start playing better on offense. We were lucky to beat the Bills for Christ sake. We barely got over Miami. We got totally embarrassed by NE. NO spanked us. I have not seen any improvement from this team....which you would expect to see by now. This is Bens 9th week back. We destroyed the Raiders which is honestly the only game since Ben returned that we even looked good.

I'm not sure where the over confidence comes from. I guess because we have a good defense. I hope Ben finds his stride soon, becuase if he sits in the pocket for 10 seconds looking for WRs' against the Ravens and Jets he will be killed.

You are spot on with this post!!! If short to mid range plays are not in this week's offensive scheme and the way Ben holds on to the ball he could very easily get sacked 10 times this week. I dont feel good about this game at all!!! Plus with a decent QB Gay will get beat consistently especially if he is up against Mason.

Steeler4life1972
12-01-2010, 11:24 PM
I do believe if we go 10-6 or worse we will miss the playoffs.

Whodis
12-02-2010, 07:35 AM
If we drop in the "power rankings", what bowl would we be eligible for?

plenewken
12-02-2010, 08:20 AM

plenewken
12-02-2010, 08:21 AM

Could be the mid-first round pick bowl.

Rotorhead
12-02-2010, 10:41 AM
Actually if we beat the Jets and Ravens, then the last game will be for 1 or 2 seed, (possibly with NE in that mix) I would rather have the 1 seed to ensure the SB road runs through Pittsburgh rather than play NE at NE. While the 2 seed would be fine cause honestly we just need the bye to get healthy. As for all the naysayers, there are so many possibilities still out there for us I am not even thinking about it much. After this weekends games (mondays too) alot will be known in the AFC. My hopes are for the Jets to win and for us to win. One nice thing is we still have a shot for a 1-2 seed in the playoffs and that is the best thing that could happen to us.

Third Rail
12-04-2010, 02:34 AM
I still have my doubts that the Jets are this all-powerful Juggernaut that the media keeps assuming they are. They were SHUT OUT by an injury-riddled Packers team. Now granted, we've put up some crappy scores in a few games, but to not even get close enough to the end zone to kick a field goal? That's pathetic.

iceman000123
12-04-2010, 12:41 PM
I do admit that I'm a little worried about this game due to our line AND the condition of Ben's foot. This could shape up to be a bad game BUT I have the utmost confidence in our coach Tomlin that he is prepared for this week. Our defense will be ready to play hard so I do feel that we will come out with this victory no matter what the critics say! Lets go! :tt02:

Atlanta Dan
12-04-2010, 01:57 PM

Meineke Car Care Bowl in Charlotte - we will play the Titans since Nashville is within reasonable driving distance of Charlotte and the bowl hopes to sell a lot of tickets to Tennessee fans

StainlessStill
12-04-2010, 03:44 PM
For what it's worth, I know Hines Ward is VERY active on his Facebook page. I took the time to let him know about this article and to let the men know. We'll see if he got the memo!

HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!!!!

sharkweek
12-04-2010, 06:57 PM
For what it's worth, I know Hines Ward is VERY active on his Facebook page. I took the time to let him know about this article and to let the men know. We'll see if he got the memo!

HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!!!!

I'm so very glad you took the time to save our season. :sofunny:

bobby jr
12-04-2010, 07:12 PM
Well let's face it. If the Steelers lose tomorrow their chances of winning the division are about nil. And even if they made the playoffs as a wild card team their chances of winning 3 road playoff games in a row are about nil.

finesward
12-04-2010, 07:32 PM
Well let's face it. If the Steelers lose tomorrow their chances of winning the division are about nil. And even if they made the playoffs as a wild card team their chances of winning 3 road playoff games in a row are about nil.

yeah cause that's never happened before :doh:

bobby jr
12-04-2010, 08:30 PM
yeah cause that's never happened before :doh:

Lightning doesn't strike twice.

StainlessStill
12-04-2010, 08:48 PM

Didn't the Giants go on the road for 3 straight weeks in 2007 (at Tampa Bay, at Dallas, at Green Bay) on their way to win the Super Bowl against the Pats? Obviously it DOES strike twice and is PROVEN to be very possible. PLUS, look at our home record compared to our away:

HOME: 3-2
ROAD: 5-1.

The Steelers are so very much capable of walking into an opponents stadium and taking care of business, as they did HISTORICALLY in 2005.

SH-Rock
12-04-2010, 08:51 PM

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/news/topstory/2003/0107lightning.html