PDA

View Full Version : Skippy signed with the 49ers!

Deserei90
12-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Just heard about it a few minutes ago on twitter. Looks like somebody decided to pick him up after all. Thought on this? :hatsoff:

SteelCityMom
12-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Ohhh...you beat me by a minute! :chuckle:

Jeff Reed's NFL hiatus is over.

Released by the Steelers two weeks ago, the kicker signed with the 49ers on Thursday according to The Sports Xchange.

A knee injury has sidelined veteran Niners K Joe Nedney the past two games. Fill-in Shane Andrus was waived Tuesday, a day after he missed two of four FGs vs. the Arizona Cardinals and was so erratic in warm-ups that head coach Mike Singletary seemed to be grimacing.

Reed, who earned the franchise tag in the offseason, is the 15th-most accurate kicker in league history (81.9%), an accomplishment made more impressive by the fact that his entire nine-year career was spent dealing with the shifting sod and tricky winds of Pittsburgh's Heinz Field.

However he was having the worst year of his career, missing seven of 22 FG attempts, including two crucial misfires that came back to haunt the Steelers in their 20-17 loss to the Ravens in Week 4.

-- Nate Davis

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/12/report-former-steelers-k-jeff-reed-latches-on-with-49ers/1

Atlanta Dan
12-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Guess he got tired of waiting for the Jets to cut their kicker

Deserei90
12-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Ohhh...you beat me by a minute! :chuckle:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/12/report-former-steelers-k-jeff-reed-latches-on-with-49ers/1I just had to jump on it:flap:

mesaSteeler
12-02-2010, 06:15 PM
Perfect town for him. He'll blend right in with the rest of the nuts and kooks. I'm sure he would not be arrested there if he assaults another towel dispenser.

Deserei90
12-02-2010, 06:17 PM
Perfect town for him. He'll blend right in with the rest of the nuts and kooks. I'm sure he would not be arrested there if he assaults another towel dispenser.:rofl:

Raw Steel
12-02-2010, 06:51 PM
Towel dispensers unite! :tt:

Raw Steel
12-02-2010, 06:52 PM
Delete please. Didn't see the original or typed too slow. lol

Fire Arians
12-02-2010, 07:15 PM
are they trying to bring back the days of mike cofer? lol

Fire Arians
12-02-2010, 07:15 PM
mike cofer was probably the worst kicker of all time, now they have a guy who can replace him in 49ers history lol

tony hipchest
12-02-2010, 08:44 PM
skippy replaced todd peterpuss (who sucked as a replacement for k. brown) midseason, who went on to play a year or two for the 49ers.

how fitting that skippy follows him out of town 9 years later.

cloppbeast
12-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Good. I hope he makes all his field goals the rest of the season. He was a scape goat for Tomlin following an embarrassing loss the Patriots. I have a feeling we'll come to regret cutting Reed.

tony hipchest
12-02-2010, 08:55 PM
c'mon.

reed sucked balls this year. everyone and their momma knows he would not have made 4 consecutive kicks from beyond the 40 to win the game in buffalo last weekend. im just glad he was cut before he cst us one.

cloppbeast
12-02-2010, 09:00 PM
c'mon.

reed sucked balls this year. everyone and their momma knows he would not have made 4 consecutive kicks from beyond the 40 to win the game in buffalo last weekend. im just glad he was cut before he cst us one.

We shall see.

Pala_Maul_U
12-02-2010, 10:31 PM
Aa long as he doesn't kick anything longer than 40yds, or the field is in bad shape, or the fans don't boo him he should be fine.????

lionslicer
12-02-2010, 10:59 PM
I didn't know he was the 15th most acurate kicker in history.

Kind of surprised he took a job all the way on the other side of the country, I guess he's trying to get far away from pittsburgh.

Deserei90
12-02-2010, 11:25 PM
I didn't know he was the 15th most acurate kicker in history.

Kind of surprised he took a job all the way on the other side of the country, I guess he's trying to get far away from pittsburgh.Yeah away from that Towel Dispenser he assaulted:chuckle:

GMU Steeler
12-02-2010, 11:37 PM
I'm happy with Suisham especially after last week but I wish Reed well in San Fran. He struggled at the end of his tenure as a Steeler but he also made a lot of key kicks. Hope he does well there with the exception of the times when we play the Niners.

ricardisimo
12-03-2010, 02:01 AM
c'mon.

Didn't he already cost us one? Or two?

steeltheone
12-03-2010, 02:21 AM
Good luck Jeff...

StainlessStill
12-03-2010, 09:47 AM
Bet me any money the first write-up on Reed in San Francisco will be a fight in a gay bar....

tony hipchest
12-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Didn't he already cost us one? Or two?thats a good point. his missed kicks vs the bears cost us a playoff spot.

now all the skippy apologists will say there were a bunch of other games we coulda won and there were a bunch of other mistakes by single players in that game that couldve won it, but the fact of the matter remains, that skippy coulda won it single handedly (footedly) by simply doing what he is paid to do.

and this year... skippy cost us the ravens game, which could very well cost us the division and a playoff game at home. i wonder how much money the rooneys lose by taking their show on the road as opposed to heinz field hosting a game?

skippy coulda probably earned his entire yearly salary with a single kick.

sure its a team game, and there are other losses as well, but what it boils down to, is what you can do as an individual to help win or lose a game (atlanta game never goes into OT if he can make a kick).

troy prevented 2 losses by picking off matt ryan and fitzpatric as they were mounting game winning drives.

holmes, harrison, ben and wallace rose above, to win games vs arizona and green bay.

good luck to skippy in frisco, but i feel this is 2 years in a row, where he hurt us more than he helped. :noidea:

steelerchad
12-03-2010, 11:23 AM
thats a good point. his missed kicks vs the bears cost us a playoff spot.

now all the skippy apologists will say there were a bunch of other games we coulda won and there were a bunch of other mistakes by single players in that game that couldve won it, but the fact of the matter remains, that skippy coulda won it single handedly (footedly) by simply doing what he is paid to do.

and this year... skippy cost us the ravens game, which could very well cost us the division and a playoff game at home. i wonder how much money the rooneys lose by taking their show on the road as opposed to heinz field hosting a game?

skippy coulda probably earned his entire yearly salary with a single kick.

sure its a team game, and there are other losses as well, but what it boils down to, is what you can do as an individual to help win or lose a game (atlanta game never goes into OT if he can make a kick).

troy prevented 2 losses by picking off matt ryan and fitzpatric as they were mounting game winning drives.

holmes, harrison, ben and wallace rose above, to win games vs arizona and green bay.

good luck to skippy in frisco, but i feel this is 2 years in a row, where he hurt us more than he helped. :noidea:

You are right on here. I used to feel Skippy was money in the bank. We'd be lining up for the field goal and I felt it would be pretty automatic. Haven't felt that way since he cost us that Bears game last year. Don't forget he missed an easy one in NO this year too. Could have been a different game if he makes it.

ETL
12-03-2010, 12:57 PM
Understandable move. He's closer to his significant other.

ricardisimo
12-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Understandable move. He's closer to his significant other.
There's beer everywhere. He didn't have to move to San Fran to get it.

Third Rail
12-03-2010, 02:48 PM
This kind of sums up my thoughts on this news...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/that-guy/f.jpg?t=1291409261

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-03-2010, 03:54 PM
It goes like this.....
1)He couldn't kick off anymore
2)He was doing idiotic things off the field
3)He was demanding millions of dollars and lots of years to be added to his contract
4)He doesn't even give an attempt on kickoffs to tackle when he's called upon
and finally....
5)He can apparently no longer kick field goals consistently or accurately, especially if it's over 40 yards

After #5 became apparent to me is when I couldn't take his presence on the team any longer. I could tolerate all of the rest, but you're getting paid to kick field goals.

casteeler
12-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Now northern california is not safe... Pittsburgh here I come!

tony hipchest
12-06-2010, 11:13 AM
for those keeping score, he was 3/3 fg's in his frisco debut with a long of 44 yards.

i wonder how he woulda handled punting duties last night (probably woulda fumbled the long snap).

lionslicer
12-06-2010, 11:16 AM
for those keeping score, he was 3/3 fg's in his frisco debut with a long of 44 yards.

i wonder how he woulda handled punting duties last night (probably woulda fumbled the long snap).

Would be a slap in the face if sometime in the future he kicks a game winning field goal over 40 yards against the Steelers