PDA

View Full Version : Flacco on fines: Steelers’ Harrison is doing his job

SH-Rock
12-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Rivalry week for the Ravens and Steelers has brought us the latest example of Joe Cool being Joe Cool.

Flacco joined our Randy Moss for an interview Thursday to discuss the emotions involved in facing the Steelers, and he was asked if players have to guard against getting too hyped for the game.

“I guess some guys,” Flacco said. “I think we have a pretty mature team. Guys who know how to go out there and take care of business. I don’t really run into that too much because I like to stay pretty level-headed. Ray Lewis does a pretty good job of taking care of all the emotional stuff for us.”

Speaking of emotional, James Harrison will be lining up across from Flacco a little lighter this week. Harrison was fined $25,000 for a helmet-leading hit on Bills QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, running the linebacker’s tab to $125,000 this season for four separate violations, which has drawn scrutiny of the policy as well as accusations the league is targeting the Steelers.

Flacco, one of the players the rules are designed to protect and thus one of the most likely to condone them, sided with the sentiments of many players when he said he doesn’t fault Harrison for his aggressive style.

“I wouldn’t like to get fined, so I don’t like to see fellow players get fined,” Flacco said. “He’s out there playing football, and he’s doing what he’s been taught to do his whole life. This is a vicious game … you’re out there not to hurt people, but to hit people pretty hard. If they get hurt, that’s what happens. It’s kind of tough to see a guy get fined that much money for doing his job.”

I really think the Ravens are supporting Harrison because they are scared that one of their own player might get targeted because the Ravens are as physical as the Steelers. Or they just found their brain.

Deserei90
12-02-2010, 08:42 PM
More Ravens support for Harrison? Ugh, It makes me shiver. Two Teams that hate each other agreeing on the same thing.

bobby jr
12-02-2010, 10:05 PM
Joe's off the cuff remarks don't mean much to me. He's a good player but he does not decide NFL policy.

Harrison was fined because he deserved to be fined.

SH-Rock
12-02-2010, 10:07 PM
Joe's off the cuff remarks don't mean much to me. He's a good player but he does not decide NFL policy.

Harrison was fined because he deserved to be fined.

It's funny how probably more than half the Ravens agree. How much longer till the Ravens get fined for playing dirty? The NFL wants that 18 game season and the two toughest teams are the Steelers and the Ravens.

bobby jr
12-02-2010, 10:15 PM
The Ravens haven't been fined because their defensive players have not delivered the kind of hits the Harrison has. Harbaugh teaches hard hitting but not dangerous or illegal hitting.

The NFL isn't out to get any team or player, the policy holds for all teams.

steelerohio
12-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Then you missed the ridiculous game when they played the Oakland Raiders... However, despite being penalized for over 100 yards the Steelers still won...

I got a bad feeling the reason the Purple Browns win is because of the biased refs being paid by Goodell...

jjpro11
12-02-2010, 10:26 PM
you guys need to ignore this clown.. he's a no life with nothing to do but annoy people.

Deserei90
12-02-2010, 10:38 PM
The Ravens haven't been fined because their defensive players have not delivered the kind of hits the Harrison has. Harbaugh teaches hard hitting but not dangerous or illegal hitting.

The NFL isn't out to get any team or player, the policy holds for all teams.:blah::popcorn:

jjpro11
12-02-2010, 10:41 PM
i saw a Houston Texans player put the crown of his helmet square into the middle of Michael Vick's stomach after he threw the ball and nothing was called. the hypocrisy of the league is pure disgusting.

SteelCityMom
12-02-2010, 10:48 PM

You guys may not have been fined (not for illegal hits on the field from what I can recall at least)...but shoddy reffing in this regard has pretty much cost you at least one game.

The NFL fined Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh $15,000 on Tuesday for impermissible verbal and physical contact with an official.

During the Ravens' 15-10 loss at Cincinnati on Sunday, Harbaugh made contact with line judge Ron Marinucci in the chest while demonstrating where outside linebacker Terrell Suggs hit Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer during a questionable roughing-the-passer penalty.

"While referees are instructed to err on the side of safety when it comes to protecting the quarterback, I feel the call was incorrect," Pereira said on FOX. "Suggs made a form tackle on Palmer. And while he did land on top of him, he did not appear to unnecessarily or violently throw the quarterback down and land on top of him with most or all of his weight, which is what the rule states. I can see why the referee made the call that he did, but to me, it was a normal tackle and not a foul."

Harbaugh reiterated that he believes All-Pro middle linebacker Ray Lewis, who was flagged for tripping Palmer when he appeared to be blocked into the quarterback, and Suggs didn't deserve to be penalized.

Both penalties led to Bengals field goals.

Suggs, who was flagged last year for grazing the leg of New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady during a regular-season loss, said he doesn't intend to change his approach to the game.

Suggs said after the game that while the NFL is going to "protect the guys that pay their bills, which is the quarterbacks," he's not going to change the way he plays. He even questioned that if wasn't Palmer, but "a lesser quarterback," whether the flag would have even be thrown.

"I'm a physical player, and I was already engaged in him," Suggs said. "If I had to do the play again, I would do it again."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81ab8040/article/nfl-fines-ravens-coach-harbaugh-15k-for-contact-with-ref

Take that for what you will. I think your homer glasses are blinding you from the fact that this will be a league wide problem in the near future. Tough hitting defense is on its way out. Goodell wants score! score! score! and money! money! money!

Lockout, then no cap and all offense = the imminent death of the NFL. Welcome to the NBA on grass.

tony hipchest
12-02-2010, 11:13 PM
i dont think junior is a fan of (or even familiar with) old school, hard hitting football.

sounds more like a relative of goodells and a flag butt rugby captain.

seriously... was he even a fan before teh ravens made the AFCC game in 2008? he thinks harbaugh teaches ray lewis et al how to tackle. :sofunny:

Pala_Maul_U
12-03-2010, 12:38 AM
I really believe the NFL is out for the Steelers and James Harrison for one most of Harrisons hits that were fined, should have never been fines. Also I remember Hines Ward was hit in the head by a player this year that actually took him out of the game, and I could be wrong but I don't think the player that hit him was ever fined. If im right something here isn't right!

GMU Steeler
12-03-2010, 12:56 AM
Flacco probably is smart enough to realize that these dumb penatlies/fines that have been handed to Harrison could easily impact his team who has a similiar game to the Steelers. I hate the Ravens but it's because of the rivalry really. I mean yes I hate Flacco but only because he plays on a hated rival. I really have never seen him complain the way say Brady does when he's touched. I of course hope we win and win big Sunday night but I understand exactly why Ravens players such as Flacco and Suggs have empathized with Harrison's situation.

Whodis
12-03-2010, 08:22 AM
BobbyJr- At some point it would be nice to hear some if any realistic football opinion you could bring to the board. I go to school near Balt. so I know for a fact that you all are not idiots.

I was listening to Ravens talk radio and was surprised to hear how many of their fans started off a conversation with "I really hate Hines Ward, but................" .

"Most" of their fans seem to look at this as an attack on aggresive hard hitting football which both teams play and realize it's only a matter of time before they are in the cross arrows.

bobby jr
12-03-2010, 09:49 AM
Steeler fans cannot be expected to be objective about whether Harrison's fines were justified or not.
The fact is that the NFL officials are far more objective than you guys are. I think perhaps you are worried that the Steelers defense may not be as effective if the opposition is not intimidated by these type of vicious head shots

dez09231
12-03-2010, 09:57 AM

Dude, did you watch the Raiders game? Did you see the Massaquoi fine?

Let me get this straight. . . . Harrison has to play a 25k tax to play pretty much every week for doing things that aren't even penalized half the time, or having the league tell him that it's his fault for having offensive players duck their heads into him, yet Johnson and Finnegan can fight and be fined 25k? Dunta Robinson has a completely legit hit on Jackson and it's 50k? There is no rhyme or reason to the NFL's policy, and Harrison spoke out against being fined, so he is clearly targeted. Both T-Sizzle and Flacco have said that it isn't right; which it isn't.

Please believe, the Ravens are next. After the Steelers, you all are the most prominent defense. . . and the league wants Arena scores. . . and in order for that to happen, they can't have dominant defenses be dominant any longer.

dez09231
12-03-2010, 10:00 AM
Steeler fans cannot be expected to be objective about whether Harrison's fines were justified or not.
The fact is that the NFL officials are far more objective than you guys are. I think perhaps you are worried that the Steelers defense may not be as effective if the opposition is not intimidated by these type of vicious head shots

Yeah bud, Suggs, Flacco, and 70% of the nation who think that the Steelers are being targeted according to recent polls are all Steelers fans. : /:banging:

SteelCityMom
12-03-2010, 10:31 AM

100% false in so many ways.

What does vicious head shots have to do with Harrison's fines anyway? The Massaquoi hit was the only one that was considered a "head shot". The other 3 are all on QBs and have zero to do with head shots.

You better take some people's (and Flacco's) words to heart here soon. Goodell is doing whatever he can to handicap defenses. There will never be a defense like the '00 Ravens or '08 Steelers ever again. It's unfortunate that you seem more concerned with taking shots at the Steelers and fans every chance you get rather than actually discuss what is going on in the league. Say bye bye to our legendary defenses.

Meanwhile, we can all go out to our local Best Buy or go online to the NFL shop and purchase any number of NFL registered videos like "Moment of Impact" or "NFL's Hardest Hits" that glorify vicious, injury causing hits. Go figure.

SteelCityMom
12-03-2010, 11:04 AM
I'd like to give an example here too. Here's a type of hit that Harrison was just fined for (when hitting a QB). Last year, when the Steelers played the Vikings, Peterson just absolutely destroyed William Gay. Watch the video and notice how AP hits Gay when Gay attempts to tackle him. You will never, ever, EVER see a penalty called against an offensive player making a hit like this on a defensive player, nor will you ever see fines levied. You will see it happen consistently on defensive players against offensive players (especially QBs). That is because Goodell and the NFL are more concerned with the "product" (people...specifically high end QBs) that make them money, rather than all around player safety.

Pause video at :19 seconds. It's a great play by AP (and a horrible one by Gay lol), but these are the kinds of things that make the league extremely inconsistent.

KmrAyU3HcU0

i82much
12-03-2010, 11:29 AM
There is no anti-Ravens or anti-Steelers bias. There is (1) a general problem with poor, inconsistent officiating, (2) a league-wide trend to open up the game and reduce injuries that has taken a lot of the heart out of the game, and (3) some special treatment for certain star players, which is partly as a result of (2).

What happens is that, by favoring offenses, the NFL inherently hurts teams that are built around defense. And - not coincidentally - the NFL makes more money. At least until real football fans get sick of it.

SteelMember
12-03-2010, 11:48 AM
T-Sizzle

:buttkick:

You got off easy this time, but don't let me catch you talking like that again. :chuckle:

MDSteel15
12-03-2010, 12:44 PM
:buttkick:

You got off easy this time, but don't let me catch you talking like that again. :chuckle:

LMAO.... :thumbsup:

iceman000123
12-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Truthfully I think the only fines Harrison truly deserved were the hits had landed in the Browns game. Those were pretty savage hits leading with the helmet. I'd like to know why the ref was pulling out his flag in the bills game before Harrison even made contact with the QB.

bobby jr
12-03-2010, 02:23 PM
100% false in so many ways.

What does vicious head shots have to do with Harrison's fines anyway? The Massaquoi hit was the only one that was considered a "head shot". The other 3 are all on QBs and have zero to do with head shots.

You better take some people's (and Flacco's) words to heart here soon. Goodell is doing whatever he can to handicap defenses. There will never be a defense like the '00 Ravens or '08 Steelers ever again. It's unfortunate that you seem more concerned with taking shots at the Steelers and fans every chance you get rather than actually discuss what is going on in the league. Say bye bye to our legendary defenses.

Meanwhile, we can all go out to our local Best Buy or go online to the NFL shop and purchase any number of NFL registered videos like "Moment of Impact" or "NFL's Hardest Hits" that glorify vicious, injury causing hits. Go figure.

I disagree. Just take the man Goodell at his word until proven otherwise. The NFL does not want to handicap defenses to run up scores. They want to protect players.
There was a lot of bad publicity prior to this season (Front page SI article as I recall)
about concussions in football and the adverse long term affects of head injuries from vicious hits.

You can have a hard hitting and good defense without these attempts to damage or intimidate players by helmet shots to the head. I recall that vicious shot Willis MacGahee took in the AFC champiionship game a couple of years ago against the steelers. He was carted off the field. If that happened to day that would be a penalty and a fine and possibly a suspension for that hit against Willie, and well it should be.

iceman000123
12-03-2010, 02:36 PM
I disagree. Just take the man Goodell at his word until proven otherwise. The NFL does not want to handicap defenses to run up scores. They want to protect players.
There was a lot of bad publicity prior to this season (Front page SI article as I recall)
about concussions in football and the adverse long term affects of head injuries from vicious hits.

You can have a hard hitting and good defense without these attempts to damage or intimidate players by helmet shots to the head. I recall that vicious shot Willis MacGahee took in the AFC champiionship game a couple of years ago against the steelers. He was carted off the field. If that happened to day that would be a penalty and a fine and possibly a suspension for that hit against Willie, and well it should be.

There's no problem fining for helmet to helmet hits. I'm fine with that and I think many people are also fine with that. However Harrison has only made helmet to helmet shots in the Browns game this year. He's being fine for what? Hitting hard. Maybe we should fine receivers for running to fast or quarterbacks for throwing to far. And after that, we have fights breaking out and players punching QB's in the face AFTER the play is over and they get the same fine as Harrison. So what their saying is a hard hit DURING the play equals a fight or punch AFTER the play.....

Third Rail
12-03-2010, 03:44 PM
It's funny, I'm starting to like the actual Ravens' players for having the class to come out and support their toughest rivals over this issue.

If only thier fans weren't such a bunch of douchebags...

SteelCityMom
12-03-2010, 04:52 PM

I would take Goodell at his word if it seemed like he actually meant it. They want to protect certain players. High end QBs specifically. Their bread and butter. If they were really interested in protecting all players, they would hold off on extending the season by 2 games and make it mandatory to wear the safest gear.

If you watched the Bills game, then you know this play...where Ben is tackled and twisted up by 2 different Bills players. Be honest with yourself...really honest...if that were Brady or Manning, do you think something would be called on the field. Do you think there would only be a 25k fine for punching someone in the throat if that someone were Brady or Manning? The standards are far from equal in this league. And this has nothing to do with a conspiracy against the Steelers...because I don't think there is one. This has everything to do with the NFL being consistent, and it is not. Flacco and Suggs coming out and saying as much this week isn't the first time a Ravens player has publicly spoken about this either. I know Ray Lewis and others have as well.

No flag for this? It's just not consistent IMO.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh-steelers/09000d5d81c7afd9/Bills-defense-sack-7-yd-loss

I agree with you. There definitely needs to be protection against head shots. That's barely what we're dealing with here in this discussion though. Harrison has been fined for one head shot this year.

You've got to be a little realistic as well. Football is a fast game with a lot of guys trying to hit each other. Shits always going to happen, no matter what. I applaud some of their efforts to make it as safe as they possibly can, but I also want it consistent. I really won't believe they want to be consistent until I see some proof of it.

Whodis
12-03-2010, 06:07 PM

I understand a 17 year old wouldn't remember a lot of football games.

But, I for one remember Suggs knocking Ben out of his cleets. As Steeler fans we've seen more games and are use to an agressive style. Know that I have an understanding where your coming from I don't take offense to your Dundalk ways. Most if not all the Raven fans I know would say the league is inconsistant and thought Ward was right when he spoke about the league.

Atlanta Dan
12-03-2010, 06:45 PM
The backlash builds

New York Times columnist William Rhoden has a column up on this farce - excerpts below

The rash of fines for dangerous hits this season reflects the league’s conundrum as it attempts to make a violent game safer — without removing the violence. Increasingly, players who have remained silent and played the role of good soldiers are calling out the league for what they see as its hypocrisy. ...

Harrison has become the lightning rod for resistance. On Thursday, after being fined $25,000 for his hit on Buffalo Bills quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, he said that he would not be moved. He told the Steelers’ Web site: “The way I play, there is nothing wrong with it. I am not playing dirty. I am not doing anything that is outside of the lines.”

Finally, a player making a stand. ...

Harrison should not shed his intimidating style, and the Steelers should pay his fines.

And Rhoden nails this point

The league’s quandary is that this brand of violence is what makes the N.F.L. unique. Millions of fans embrace it. The N.F.L.’s games are the ultimate cathartic experience: large, fast people colliding with one another every 40 seconds. Removing the blood and guts from its product, the N.F.L. is opening the door for another sport, say soccer, to reign supreme in the United States someday soon.

Far-fetched? Who would have thought that boxing and horse racing, which once defined the American character, would one day be barely relevant to the sports landscape. Who would have thought in the 1950s that pro football would replace baseball in popularity....

The N.F.L. can fine him all they want, but Harrison has become the symbol of the N.F.L.’s hard decisions going forward.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/04/sports/football/04rhoden.html?ref=sports

tony hipchest
12-03-2010, 06:57 PM
i really wish some coherent HOF'ers, players like butkus, lott, bruce smith, would take a stand and speak up.

its gotta sicken them to see what is going on with a game i know they love as much as us fans.

steelcity1974
12-03-2010, 08:11 PM
It's funny, I'm starting to like the actual Ravens' players for having the class to come out and support their toughest rivals over this issue.

If only thier fans weren't such a bunch of douchebags...

This guy bobby jr is a typical passive aggressive type that spends more time spewing crap even he doesn't agree with just because of his own insecurity and lack of confidence. If he was being real, he would engage in some productive debate...but he clearly just wants to get on everyones nerves....and goes home at night to an empty dirt floor apartment and pats himself on the back for a good days work. Meanwhile his waste of flesh probably ends up watching the games alone cuz he has no friends...certainly no descent ones.

jjpro11
12-03-2010, 09:32 PM
if you take all the hard hitting away, the Steelers-Ravens rivalry will pretty much die.. the NFL wants these scoring bonanza rivalries like the Colts-Patriots bandwagon rivalry. if both teams don't score at least 30 points, it's just considered a below average game by today's standards.

bobby jr
12-03-2010, 09:59 PM
This guy bobby jr is a typical passive aggressive type that spends more time spewing crap even he doesn't agree with just because of his own insecurity and lack of confidence. If he was being real, he would engage in some productive debate...but he clearly just wants to get on everyones nerves....and goes home at night to an empty dirt floor apartment and pats himself on the back for a good days work. Meanwhile his waste of flesh probably ends up watching the games alone cuz he has no friends...certainly no descent ones.

I'm hardly ever alone because I live with my wife and daughter. But whether I watch the game alone .with my family, or with my "descent" friends, I will enjoy watching this one. Because this beat down has been a long time coming and the whole nation will be watching my Ravens show that they are now one of the premier teams in the NFL.

As for Flacco's remarks I've been pondering why he would come out with these statements and I think it has to do with not wanting to sound like a wimp , like he was afraid to get hit or something. Sounds more macho this way, like he can take whatever the Steelers defense dishes out. I'll bet he secretly agrees with the new NFL policy. Heck he'd be a fool to want to encourage brutal head hits which could impact his receivers (it already has Todd Heap, who was the victim of one) or even Flacco himself.

bobby jr
12-03-2010, 10:03 PM
if you take all the hard hitting away, the Steelers-Ravens rivalry will pretty much die.. the NFL wants these scoring bonanza rivalries like the Colts-Patriots bandwagon rivalry. if both teams don't score at least 30 points, it's just considered a below average game by today's standards.

Absurd. Nobody said to take the hard hitting away. What the NFL is trying to do is protect players from concussions which are suspected in leading to early disability and death in former NFL players. This was covered in a Sports Illustrated article earlier this year.

Look like it or not the times are changing. There is growing medical evidence that violent head shots have dire consequences for NFL players over the long run. If the NFL didn't take action they would be opening their sport up to congressional scrutiny and legal action against the league for not stopping this type play when they could.

SteelCityMom
12-03-2010, 10:20 PM
Absurd. Nobody said to take the hard hitting away. What the NFL is trying to do is protect players from concussions which are suspected in leading to early disability and death in former NFL players. This was covered in a Sports Illustrated article earlier this year.

Look like it or not the times are changing. There is growing medical evidence that violent head shots have dire consequences for NFL players over the long run. If the NFL didn't take action they would be opening their sport up to congressional scrutiny and legal action against the league for not stopping this type play when they could.

Then why aren't they mandating that they wear the safest gear available? Shouldn't they be doing both (handing out fines for dangerous hits and ensuring player safety by putting them in the safest possible gear out there)?

Again though, much of this discussion concerning Harrison goes way beyond head shots. Neither Flacco or Suggs were talking about head shots. Go back and read (really read...with no homer glasses) both articles and try to understand that they are talking about overall consistency in the league in terms of what is acceptable and what is not. There is very, very little consistency going on right now.

Everyone agrees that head shots are dangerous, and need to be dealt with accordingly. Unfortunately more than half (3) of Harrison's fines this year have zero to do with head shots. Neither of the articles being discussed mention head shots or concussions...so why do you keep bringing it up?

SteelCityMom
12-03-2010, 10:22 PM
As for Flacco's remarks I've been pondering why he would come out with these statements and I think it has to do with not wanting to sound like a wimp , like he was afraid to get hit or something. Sounds more macho this way, like he can take whatever the Steelers defense dishes out. I'll bet he secretly agrees with the new NFL policy. Heck he'd be a fool to want to encourage brutal head hits which could impact his receivers (it already has Todd Heap, who was the victim of one) or even Flacco himself.

:rofl: You've got some serious denial going on.

Deserei90
12-04-2010, 12:18 AM
bobby jr

As for Flacco's remarks I've been pondering why he would come out with these statements and I think it has to do with not wanting to sound like a wimp , like he was afraid to get hit or something. Sounds more macho this way, like he can take whatever the Steelers defense dishes out. I'll bet he secretly agrees with the new NFL policy. Heck he'd be a fool to want to encourage brutal head hits which could impact his receivers (it already has Todd Heap, who was the victim of one) or even Flacco himself.:popcorn::toofunny:

Rick5895
12-04-2010, 05:40 AM
Bobby jr is living in a utopian world where he beleives that Goodell is the all knowing gospel. The game of football is the greatest game on earth and unfortunately the very thing that brings fans to the game is now being outlawed. I have seen it here many times , that being, this is a game being played by bigger, faster, stronger men than ever before, you can not get away from the majority of these collisions. If they stick to calling obvious hits like Merrweather on Heap then it's fine. Clearly the NFL is targeting the Steelers. make no mistake the Ravens are next, especialy if they go on to win the superbowl and have the nerve to hit Brady, Rivers et all on the way.

I see the NFL becoming like the NHL, the NHL is trying to take away the vicious hits as well, but the one thing the NHL could do is make the ice surface bigger, give the bigger faster players more room (NFL should think of this as well) The reason they don't, it would reduce seating and cost them money. As ong as the bottom line is making money, the hypocrisy will reign supreme.

Atlanta Dan
12-04-2010, 08:51 AM

But what Goodell has done is: change the rules as to how the game is played in mid-season without any concession that the rules are being changed; fail to consult with the owners and players during the offseason as to how rules changes should be implemented at the start of a new season; and, because Goodell will not admit this has constituted a change in the rules, establish no uniformity as to how the rules changes are being implemented or fines are being imposed for violations of the new rules.

With regard to why the rules have been changed so suddenly, there has been no definitive study that was issued in October 2010 that suddenly established what prior studies have developed regarding the long term consequences of head trauma to NFL players. Instead, these changes were triggered in a knee jerk response to Rodney Harrison and Saint Tony Dungy deciding to fill air time on the NBC Sunday night pregame show on the day there were a series of particularly hard hits, with Rodney Harrison (who in 2009 in response to some penalty calls said Tom Brady should wear a skirt) deciding to take the counter-position to the way he played the game throughout his entire career and stir up controversy by now saying even fines were not enough and suspensions were required.

By way of analogy, it as if the rules changes that opened up the passing game in 1978 to increase scoring and attempt to defang suffocating defenses such as the mid-70s Steelers would not have been implemented after detailed offseason consideration of the rules but instead would have been implemented unilaterally by Pete Rozelle mid-way through the 1977 season, without any concession the rules were being changed, in response to Howard Cosell going off some Monday night in October 1977 during the halftime highlights on how scoring was down too much and something needed to be done to encourage more passing.

Goodell is playing with fire without getting input from other interested powers in the league before embarking on his excellent adventure - as stated in the William Rhoden column in The New York Times to which I linked previously, violence is a big part of the NFL's appeal - mess with the rules too much without considering the consequences and the appeal of the NFL could fade.more quickly than anyone might imagine

iceman000123
12-04-2010, 12:54 PM

Yea so adding two games on to the season definitely helps the players out there. They don't care about the players. Hines Ward made that clear when Ray Anderson didn't have anything to say about Ward's claims. Game, Set, Match.

SH-Rock
12-04-2010, 06:01 PM
Football is just a physical sport. Many people get hurt in this sport. That's what you sign up for. It's sad Mike Webster died the way he did, but if he had a choice to do it again I think he would. If you can't handle the game don't join/quit easy as that.

Steeler4life1972
12-04-2010, 06:21 PM

Dude get a clue and go to your ravens board....its obvious that you dont watch football on a regular basis and your just showing your ignorance. Good riddance to you!:helmet:

bobby jr
12-04-2010, 08:05 PM
Dude get a clue and go to your ravens board....its obvious that you dont watch football on a regular basis and your just showing your ignorance. Good riddance to you!:helmet:

Wrong again. I am glued to the TV every weekend. I have not seen any Ravens hit players in a manner which is comparable to some of the hits I have seen Harrison deliver which resulted in the fines. If there had been the league certainly would have fined or suspended the Ravens player, as the Ravens have never been one of the favored teams in the NFL offices due to the Cleveland controversy.

Bottom line is this: You do the crime you do the time. Harrison is guilty of delivering hits that crossed the line. These type of plays are no longer acceptable in the NFL. He needs to adjust his game to tackle like other players do, or else pay the consequences, which I imagine will be not just fines but suspensions if this keeps up.

bobby jr
12-04-2010, 08:09 PM
Yea so adding two games on to the season definitely helps the players out there. They don't care about the players. Hines Ward made that clear when Ray Anderson didn't have anything to say about Ward's claims. Game, Set, Match.

That is fallacious reasoning. Hines ward statement about extending the season is not logically sound. To carry your argument to it's logical conclusion the NFL should shorten the season to perhaps five games to prevent injury. Or just fold up the tent and stop playing because they care so much about the players they don't want anyone to get injured.

There is always a tradeoff. The NFL will always have an inherent amount of danger but it is worth it both to the players and the fans because the payoff is so big.

The NFL extending the season is a totally separate issue from stopping players from delivering dangerous hits. If the NFL can curb the vicious and unnecessary hits then the season can be extended and the injury rate would still go down.

Atlanta Dan
12-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Wrong again. I am glued to the TV every weekend. I have not seen any Ravens hit players in a manner which is comparable to some of the hits I have seen Harrison deliver which resulted in the fines.

Then you must be blind drunk by kickoff every week and not remember what you watched

Ray Lewis made it clear after the Ravens' loss in New England that he didn't agree with the rules protecting the quarterback
Last week, he apparently didn't think too much of rules protecting receivers either, as he left his feet and led with his helmet to land a jarring hit on Bengals receiver Chad Ochocinco. The receiver's helmet was knocked loose, and Lewis was flagged for unnecessary roughness.

Now, Lewis -- who wasn't fined for his complaints in Foxborough -- will have to pay. Big time.

Lewis was fined $25,000 by the NFL, ESPN.com reported on Friday.

http://www.nesn.com/2009/10/ray-lewis-fined-25000-for-hit-on-chad-ochocinco.html

iceman000123
12-04-2010, 09:10 PM
That is fallacious reasoning. Hines ward statement about extending the season is not logically sound. To carry your argument to it's logical conclusion the NFL should shorten the season to perhaps five games to prevent injury. Or just fold up the tent and stop playing because they care so much about the players they don't want anyone to get injured.

There is always a tradeoff. The NFL will always have an inherent amount of danger but it is worth it both to the players and the fans because the payoff is so big.

The NFL extending the season is a totally separate issue from stopping players from delivering dangerous hits. If the NFL can curb the vicious and unnecessary hits then the season can be extended and the injury rate would still go down.

Extending seasons lessens the time players have for rest and whatnot while at the same time increasing the chance for fatigue and/or injury. There is no reason whatsoever to extend the season and if you think there is then please enlighten me. Unless the players themselves come out and want to go to a 18 game season then there isn't a need to change anything.

And that's the problem now. The NFL's definition of unnecessary hits.Example: Harrison has had two legit helmet to helmet hits both in the Browns games. He got fined. That's cool, he deserved those. Everything else is BS. You know whats unnecessary? Punching a QB in the face, or pulling off helmets and swinging at each other. That's "unnecessary."

jjpro11
12-04-2010, 10:46 PM
why are you guys even responding to this clown? he is clearly talking out of his ass just to get a rise out of you.

jamesharrisonst
12-04-2010, 11:48 PM
The NFL says they r not targeting James HArrison, Ha HA Ha HA HA. The bully in my class never hit anyone either. Fact, The ref last week was pulling out his flag before contact Fact, Cortland finnegan has hit people three times but has lessin fines. I guess the NFL is saying that fighting is better than tackling

BigRick
12-05-2010, 12:37 AM

This f--khead is either too young to remember or doesn't watch football. Just look back over the years at the rules the leauge made to hamper the defense and open up the offensive game. Defense like the Steelers adapted and clamped down on the offense. So now we change the rules again and hand out fines for legal hits. Goodell has to go!
I would hate to see a lockout and a lost season but if would get rid of the useless bastard, let it be.:banging: