PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward In Korea & Respect

Atlanta Dan
04-03-2006, 04:14 PM
Congratulations to Hines Ward and his Mom being greeted in South Korea.

While Hines is an ultimate Steeler, am I alone in questioning whether a gray FUBU T-shirt and FUBU baseball cap (for which he was paid who knows how much to wear) is a properly respectful choice of clothing when you are being welcomed to another nation as a hero? Every other man in the picture seemed to be in suit and tie, which I would expect to be appropriate attire for a public ceremony.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06093/679088-100.stm

melroseplace
04-03-2006, 04:35 PM
hmm I agree with the comment about his attire, altho if that was right after they just got off the plane I guess I understand

Midnightwriter1
04-03-2006, 04:40 PM
i dont own any FUBU attire. lol Does that mean i am not cool ?

PisnNapalm
04-03-2006, 04:44 PM
What's FUBU? Enlighten an old man.

83-Steelers-43
04-03-2006, 04:53 PM
What's FUBU? Enlighten an old man.

Hip-hop gear. Normally dress down clothing.

Suitanim
04-03-2006, 05:05 PM
For Us By Us

83-Steelers-43
04-03-2006, 05:07 PM
For Us By Us

Is that seriously what it stands for? I'm not up to date on the hip-hop world nor do I care to be, but that's a great selling add for bringing races together. *sarcasm*

HburgXL06
04-03-2006, 05:07 PM
FUBU = For Us By Us aka made by black people for black people

He just got off a plane from the US to Korea. I don't care where in the US you leave from the flight to anywhere in Asia is gonna be mad long. He was smart to wear somethin easy fittin and comfortable so that he wasn't irritable after gettin off the plane. I will argue though it might have been more appropriate to wear his Steelers jersey considerin that's what he's known for in Korea.

I own my fair share of FUBU clothin includin Tees and a pair of kicks (I had two but somehow my white on whites got lost over Christmas break).

FuBu = BuFu (comparison how I earned the name "BuFu")

BuFu

Suitanim
04-03-2006, 05:09 PM
Actually, it's kind of the opposite...

http://www.snopes.com/business/names/fubu.asp

Its name is an acronym for "For Us, By Us," a slogan that expressed the founders' purpose of creating a line of popular clothing designed for African-Americans, by African-Americans. At the time of FUBU's inauguration, though numerous clothiers were targeting black consumers for their urban wear, none of these companies was black-owned or black-run.

Midnightwriter1
04-03-2006, 05:34 PM
so is a clothing line for african americans ? If was a clothing line that was specifically for white people then i guess would be an outrage and rascism would be yelled? lol your right 83 Steelers 43 when you said " I'm not up to date on the hip-hop world nor do I care to be, but that's a great selling add for bringing races together. *sarcasm* "

HburgXL06
04-03-2006, 06:22 PM
so is a clothing line for african americans ? If was a clothing line that was specifically for white people then i guess would be an outrage and rascism would be yelled? lol your right 83 Steelers 43 when you said " I'm not up to date on the hip-hop world nor do I care to be, but that's a great selling add for bringing races together. *sarcasm* "

If you read Suit's attached article you would realize that what you are sayin is not true.

Its name is an acronym for "For Us, By Us," a slogan that expressed the founders' purpose of creating a line of popular clothing designed for African-Americans, by African-Americans. At the time of FUBU's inauguration, though numerous clothiers were targeting black consumers for their urban wear, none of these companies was black-owned or black-run.

That acronym, meant as a positive statement of black empowerment, was not always received as such. Some perceived it as a declaration of black racism, an exclusionary bit of sign-posting that effectively warned off anyone not of color from the raiment.

Racism was not intended, though. At the time they brought FUBU into existence, the five young trendsetters who started the company were unaware that anyone other than urban blacks also favored that style of clothing. "We thought only inner-city kids were into Timberland," said CEO Daymond John. Theirs was a world where clothing worn exclusively by inner-city kids (or so they thought) wasn't being designed by them. They set out to change that, along the way adopting a company name that proudly expressed that intent.

BuFu

klick81
04-03-2006, 10:27 PM

:rolleyes:

Anyway, it says on the picture's caption that he just got off the plane. I see nothing wrong with wearing something comfortable for a long ride. I'm sure he knows what's appropriate and what's not.

83-Steelers-43
04-03-2006, 10:29 PM
Now that, I agree with. Long plane rides in a suit and tie is not the most comfortable situation to be in. Can't blame the guy.

Atlanta Dan
04-03-2006, 10:45 PM
So when you go on a business trip and are meeting clients for an airport meeting or travel directly from the airport to the office after your flight arrives, you wear whatever is comfortable on the flight?

I am fairly confident that the decision by Hines Ward to arrive in South Korea wearing a T-shirt was all about the Benjamins and had nothing to do with comfort. Too bad.

83-Steelers-43
04-03-2006, 10:50 PM
Personally, I travel in the suit and tie if I'm meeting associates. If I'm going on a vacation, which I believe is what Ward is doing, I would be dressed down. I really don't see the big deal with this, but that's just me.

klick81
04-03-2006, 10:51 PM
So when you go on a business trip and are meeting clients for an airport meeting or travel directly from the airport to the office after your flight arrives, you wear whatever is comfortable on the flight?

I am fairly confident that the decision by Hines Ward to arrive in South Korea wearing a T-shirt was all about the Benjamins and had nothing to do with comfort. Too bad.

Could be. Why dont you call him and tell him you're very dissapointed in him. ;)

tony hipchest
04-03-2006, 10:52 PM

I am fairly confident that the decision by Hines Ward to arrive in South Korea wearing a T-shirt was all about the Benjamins and had nothing to do with comfort. Too bad. i hear you atl dan. i have no shame in lounging im my boxers on an oversea flight and slipping into a suit before landing. (not that ive done that but i definitely would. plus theres ALWAYS hotties in the airport). lets hope hines is all business and representing his american dream and country like a true dignitary when he meets with the so. korean president. this is much bigger than the average vacation for him.

83-Steelers-43
04-03-2006, 10:55 PM
I'm still trying to figure out something here before I make assumptions........

Once he got off the plane, was he directly going to meet the Prez or do you think he was going to head to his hotel and get situated first? If I had to speculate (basically pure speculation is what this thread is really about), I would say he's heading to the hotel.

HburgXL06
04-03-2006, 10:56 PM
i hear you atl dan. i have no shame in lounging im my boxers on an oversea flight and slipping into a suit before landing. (not that ive done that but i definitely would. plus theres ALWAYS hotties in the airport). lets hope hines is all business and representing his american dream and country like a true dignitary when he meets with the so. korean president. this is much bigger than the average vacation for him.

Hines is a very respectful man but did prolly wear the Tee and hat for comfort. Do you really think Hines needs to dress up to get hotties......in Korea where he's insanely famous? He'll be properly attired for the various ceremonies he'll be a part of later in the trip.

BuFu

drizze99
04-03-2006, 10:58 PM
Jeeeez.... It must be the offseason if everyone is worried about his dress attire! Have any of you ever taken a real long flight? The longest I have ever been on was to Italy and it was 10 hours direct flight from Philly to Rome. I can assure everyone that I would never take that flight in a suit.

83-Steelers-43
04-03-2006, 10:59 PM
The longest I have ever been on was to Italy and it was 10 hours direct flight from Philly to Rome. I can assure everyone that I would never take that flight in a suit.

I take that flight every Summer only from Pittsburgh to Rome. Not once have I worn a suit nor would I ever think of sporting a suit on that specific plane flight.

SteelerzGirl
04-03-2006, 11:08 PM
(Hoping I never see Tony in an airport in his boxers) LOL

MasterOfPuppets
04-03-2006, 11:12 PM
Jeeeez.... It must be the offseason if everyone is worried about his dress attire! Have any of you ever taken a real long flight? The longest I have ever been on was to Italy and it was 10 hours direct flight from Philly to Rome. I can assure everyone that I would never take that flight in a suit.
ummmm....not to mention he's a football player...not the president...lol:rolleyes:

tony hipchest
04-03-2006, 11:21 PM
Jeeeez.... It must be the offseason if everyone is worried about his dress attire! Have any of you ever taken a real long flight? The longest I have ever been on was to Italy and it was 10 hours direct flight from Philly to Rome. I can assure everyone that I would never take that flight in a suit. i most definitely would stroll through a foreign airport in a $3000 italian suit like i owned the place though. i understand the comfort idea. i travel like a scrub. people on the plane better consider themselves lucky if i chose not to break wind. but if i were hines? going back to my home country?

this is no knock on hines. if he showed up in a pink g-string i might be a little concerned. im talking more from my perspective. im suprised his momma didnt smack him upside the head and tell him to put on a tie! :sofunny:

honestly though you never really see hines in a suit and i would never blame him for being himself and keeping it real. shit. hes the sb mvp.

3 to be 4
04-04-2006, 12:00 AM
So are you Chinese or Japanese?
- Hank Hill to Hines Ward

tony hipchest
04-04-2006, 12:09 AM
:sofunny: how did i know that whas coming?

MattsMe
04-04-2006, 01:34 AM

:sofunny: Damn, you beat me to the post!

melroseplace
04-04-2006, 07:26 AM
:rolleyes:

Anyway, it says on the picture's caption that he just got off the plane. I see nothing wrong with wearing something comfortable for a long ride. I'm sure he knows what's appropriate and what's not.

:iagree: if his mother would've thought it to be completely unappropriate I'm sure she would've mentioned something and Hines would've put something else on
haha that makes him sound like a little kid who just started dressing himself, but just my opinion..

klick81
04-04-2006, 07:56 AM
You know, it just dawned on me that this could possibly be a statement to the African-American folk. Kinda like saying, "Yeah, i'm getting back in touch with my Korean roots, but I haven't forgotten about my other roots." I dunno...just a though.

pucho58
04-04-2006, 08:19 AM
I don't care what he was wearing he can't get with me. I be sporting Goya:sofunny:

Suitanim
04-04-2006, 09:01 AM
Hey, as far as comfort goes, I think suits are the most comfortable clothes you can wear. I wear a suit to work every day...they are tailored to fit me, and the pants are lined with silk. Give me a pair of suit pants over jeans any day...

steelersgirl86
04-04-2006, 09:31 AM
Hey for all we know he was getting paid to wear that....I think he will do just fine in representing no matter what he is wearing....

clevestinks
04-04-2006, 10:35 AM
Nike over FUBU anyday

83-Steelers-43
04-04-2006, 11:19 AM
Nike over FUBU anyday

Same here. I can't imagine myself sporting FUBU...lol.

HburgXL06
04-04-2006, 12:10 PM
Nike over FUBU anyday

Same here. I can't imagine myself sporting FUBU...lol.

I'd take FUBU over Nike. Every boy got Nike on it's like copy cat shit at this point. FUBU makes loungewear too which is real comfortable to wear when you just chillin in the crib. In the end FUBU got style, comfort, and individuality over Nike.

BuFu

83-Steelers-43
04-04-2006, 12:16 PM
If my buddies saw me sporting FUBU they would call me a babbo or a cafone. I can see it now. I don't consider myself a "G", so me sporting FUBU would not work out...lol. I'll stick with a nice, comfortable NIKE sports sweat suit. That's just my preference.

rowedf
04-04-2006, 12:16 PM
Why are suits "respectful" ? I mean, to you, thats cool, its a sign of respect ......that's fine, but don't assume everyone else feels the same way. The guy is a football player, in his profession why would a suit be considered respectful? Sorry, I just think it's crap that people will pull the "lack of respect" card for types of clothing. If he was an attorney, accountant, or some other type of professional that wears suits at his workplace, then yeah, maybe breaking that mold would look a little disrespectful, but the guy plays ball ..... if you watch Ward and his public appearnces, his atire is always a concern to him ....for the last several years he's been voted (by teammates) as the best dressed Steeler ..... in no way was him wearing those clothes disrespectful.

clevestinks
04-04-2006, 12:45 PM
I'd take FUBU over Nike. Every boy got Nike on it's like copy cat shit at this point. FUBU makes loungewear too which is real comfortable to wear when you just chillin in the crib. In the end FUBU got style, comfort, and individuality over Nike.

BuFu
Nike has everything, and the most comfortable,stylish gear that you can get. Not dogging FUBU, but the swoosh is the original, all others are just wannabees

melroseplace
04-04-2006, 01:36 PM
look like Hines does know when it's necessary to wear a suit
click (http://media3.steelers.com/article/63458/)

he cleans up well :wink:

83-Steelers-43
04-04-2006, 01:39 PM
Overreaction and assumptions.

Haiku_Dirtt
04-04-2006, 02:10 PM
Major props to Hines. What's that song by Pink Floyd?

I'm alright Jack
Keep your hands off my stack

And it doesn't count towards the salary cap.

tony hipchest
04-04-2006, 03:13 PM
look like Hines does know when it's necessary to wear a suit
click (http://media3.steelers.com/article/63458/)

he cleans up well :wink:lookin good hines! he looks like he could be governor of pennsylvania some day.

83-Steelers-43
04-04-2006, 04:26 PM
lookin good hines! he looks like he could be governor of pennsylvania some day.

As long as he establishes some type of experience and actually votes....that would be a step in the right direction.

Atlanta Dan
04-04-2006, 04:41 PM
Could be. Why dont you call him and tell him you're very dissapointed in him. ;)

Why don't you give me his cell # and I will do so :)

HburgXL06
04-04-2006, 07:11 PM
Nike has everything, and the most comfortable,stylish gear that you can get. Not dogging FUBU, but the swoosh is the original, all others are just wannabees

Nike is just sportswear. FUBU has loungewear and sportwear and more dressed up clothing as well. Plus as the original mentality it is made wit street look and appeal so it's got a different and more stylish look. Call it wannabee I call it creative and original. It's also what's in my closet.

BuFu

klick81
04-04-2006, 09:04 PM
Why don't you give me his cell # and I will do so :)

Let me check ma blackberry.