PDA

View Full Version : Leftwich waiting in wings just in case he's needed

mesaSteeler
12-03-2010, 06:24 AM
Leftwich waiting in wings just in case he's needed
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_712052.html
By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, December 3, 2010

With Ben Roethlisberger dealing with an injured foot, backup quarterback Byron Leftwich is waiting in the wings, just in case. "I'm back. I've still got the knee brace, but I'm back," said Leftwich, who suffered a sprained medial collateral ligament in his left knee in the final preseason game and has not played during the regular season. "You have to prepare yourself a certain way if you want to play quarterback in this league, and I do that."

Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said the coaching staff continues to work with all players regarding proper tackling techniques, Pro Bowl linebacker James Harrison included. LeBeau said players are told to aim "below the numbers" when they tackle. "Can't go too low, that's a foul. Can't go too high, that's a foul," LeBeau said.

Safety Troy Polamalu (ankle) was a full participant at Thursday's practice after sitting out Wednesday. Defensive end Nick Eason (knee), tackle Flozell Adams and cornerback Bryant McFadden (hamstring) were also full participants after being limited the day before. Tight end Matt Spaeth (concussion) and cornerback Keenan Lewis (illness) did not practice.

For Baltimore, running back Le'Ron McClain (ankle) missed practice for the second consecutive day. Wide receiver Derrick Mason (illness) did not practice. Safety Dawan Landry (concussion) was limited.

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.